• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

The war between Splatoon 2 cheaters and Nintendo rages on...

As you may know, lately hacking has become a problem on Splatoon 2. As it's a P2P game there aren't any cheat detection systems in the game. The only way to report people was through the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app (there isn't a way to report people through the Switch itself).

But now cheaters have now found a way to hide themselves from the app essentially preventing getting banned. There's also no way to get their Friend Code or any sort of unique identifier, the only thing you can do is block them.

This situation gets even worse because up until last month Splatoon 2 hacks were private and available only to certain groups but now thanks to certain modding tools anybody can download, use or make a Splatoon 2 cheat. Editing weapon parameters is as easy as changing a number in a XML file.

I can only think of two solutions for this situation:

1- Nintendo implements a cheat detection system in their game (though I doubt they will).
2- Nintendo introduces a way to report players from the Switch itself.

Switch Online will become a paid service soon, this is just unacceptable for a paid service. We're only at year 2 of the Switch lifetime and it will only wet worse.

I have played almost 900 hours of Splatoon 2 and fortunately I haven't encountered a cheater yet. It's definitely not a terrible situation yet. The thing is this needs to stop before it becomes a big problem.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck i hope this gets fixed i play Splatoon 2 alot and luckily only encountered 1 hacker so far in my 750 or so hours.

But still this ruins it for us legit players.
Once you take hacking online and ruin it for others time to brick the system.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hopefully Splatoon 2 is used as a learning tool that Nintendo uses to protect their future games (and existing) from hackers/cheaters.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 fucking Dollars a year for... NOTHING.
I said it many times and I will say it again: The games netcode is just fucked and nothing will change because nobody will loudly complain about it.
Stopped playing the game shortly after launch and it is my biggest disappointment in 2017

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It's hilarious that they expect people to want to pay for their service. I guess they think Online Vs. NES Tennis is a tasty enough carrot to overlook cheaters. ... which that game'll probably get, too.

Also, aren't they still trying to make Splatoon an eSport?

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Dang, that sucks. Splatoon 2 is an amazing game and I would hate it if its player base was struck a blow because of rampant hacking.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Has any console maker ever implemented anti-cheat provisions in a P2P title?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious that they expect people to want to pay for their service. I guess they think Online Vs. NES Tennis is a tasty enough carrot to overlook cheaters. ... which that game'll probably get, too.
Now I'm almost looking forward to online NES cheating just to see what form it takes.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Now I'm almost looking forward to online NES cheating just to see what form it takes.

I hope they call modding tool a Game Genie & it works just like the original.

images

Can still hear those chunky beeps...

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I know Mario Tennis has recently banned a few players for exploiting things. We will see how splatoon handles this.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
are hacked weapons a thing that is happening often at the moment?

I thought the other night a player was killing me amazingly quickly (quicker than normal), and it was odd.. but just put it down to me being bad (not unusual)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie? Halo 2? 14 years ago?

? I don't recall Halo 2 hackers ever being reigned in. Banning is different from cheat protection.

I'm asking if any console game scans memory and system files to see if any cheats are installed like PC cheat detection (you'd have to know the system is hacked and know which cheats exist). I'm not asking if they can detect if a poorly made cheat leaves huge red flags over data sent to their servers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought the other night a player was killing me amazingly quickly (quicker than normal), and it was odd.. but just put it down to me being bad (not unusual)
Nah that was a thing since launch due to low tickrate and occuring ping-spikes.
On the opponents side he was killing you normally but due to him having a ping spike and the game only having 16Hz tick you can get killed from
a splattershot Jr. in one hit. Happened to me every fucking day

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Editing the XML seems like a very good way of getting your console a permaban.

I guess a new wave of bans is coming, we know Nintendo likes to ban at the right time to send a message.

Before the "concern" starts I also wants to add that I've played Splatoon basically on a weekly basis since D1 and I've yet to see a "unexplainable" situation in game, so let's not flood the thread with nonsense.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nah that was a thing since launch due to low tickrate and occuring ping-spikes.
On the opponents side he was killing you normally but due to him having a ping spike and the game only having 16Hz tick you can get killed from
a splattershot Jr. in one hit. Happened to me every fucking day

Ah ok thanks.

Well, I'd hope Nintendo are working on this. Would be good if they were a little more communicative if this becomes a spreading problem.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can detect this stuff pretty easily and will hand out console bans... but yeah it's only after the fact unfortunately.

Oct 28, 2017

Was his name "RINO" ? Not that I'm a pro but that SOB killed me more times in one game than I had all night. (Props to RINO if he's just that good.)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hard ban every hacked console and account please Nintendo

Nintendo seems to work on the premise that everything they do is perfect. They have NO WAY to report bugs in their games. Pokken for the WiiU had a bug that made shadow mewtwo impossible to unlock if you didn't continue after being beaten by him. When I called them to report it I kept getting forwarded by people that had no idea what to do.

Nintendo customer service isn't involved with game development lol
Not to mention, Nintendo didn't even develop Pokken

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
The fact that there's STILL a way to edit your weapons in Splatoon 2 when the problem already existed in Splatoon 1 is concerning. I don't play the game anymore but I hope Nintendo will fix this ASAP. It's one of their biggest multiplayer game...

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo tends to do massive ban waves and seeing how big Splatoon 2 is in Japan I can't see this being ignored, with that said they REALLY should have some kind of anti-cheat system in place especially considering they expect us to start paying for it pretty soon, kinda crazy that there's not one at all.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
it's impressive Nintendo hasn't been able to respond, just as they are about to charge for online gameplay

RadioJoNES

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dedicated servers with anti cheat please. We're paying for it now and it's a better feature than NES games.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seems to work on the premise that everything they do is perfect. They have NO WAY to report bugs in their games. Pokken for the WiiU had a bug that made shadow mewtwo impossible to unlock if you didn't continue after being beaten by him. When I called them to report it I kept getting forwarded by people that had no idea what to do.
I don't think Nintendo made pokken though? would be like calling Sony because of a bug in Bloodborne.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Players DC'ing out every 3 games and now this. Splatoon 2 is beautiful but its online infrastructure is rough to say the least.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Nintendo is honestly falling behind massively on the online front, though arguably they were way behind to begin with. Splatoon 2 is just one example. Even though you can report cheaters in online matches through the app, you can't report griefers in Salmon Run whatsoever. I completely stopped playing because of it.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
it's impressive Nintendo hasn't been able to respond, just as they are about to charge for online gameplay

Between this and the needlessly obfuscated voice chat it's curious that they're asking money for the service. I wonder if they even can address this or if it's inalterable netcode or even worth it for what it would cost a year and a half old game.

Oct 27, 2017
This whole post is a mess

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wonder why no gaming journalist or publication whatsoever has ever approach Reggie / Nintendo to ask them directly what are they planning to fix and avoid this situation in the future.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder what they plan to do for Smash when it releases. People using cheats in competitive MP games are simply losers.