• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
The Famitsu and Media Create numbers don't include digital sales. Splaoon 2 has surpassed the 3m barrier some time ago:

In March of 2018 the game was at 2,62million in Japan.
From March 2018 to September 2018 the game sold an additonal 470k units, for a total in Japan of 3,09million units.
Adding in Q3, Splatoon 2 would be at 3,34million LTD in Japan.
WW LTD is 8,27million units.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Next is Smash, then Mario Kart 8 DX at some point, then Animal Crossing, and Pokemon Sword/Shield...

Switch software sales are insane.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Can some post a list of all 3+ million sellers in Japan, for context?

Edit: So there's nine 5+ million sellers (Pokemons, Marios, Animal crossing and Brain Age 2), and twenty 4+ million sellers. Splatoon 2 is not quite on the "historical milestone" level just yet, with about 40 games ahead on the list. Still good of course, and it'll keep selling!

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
e6d5e3d159a2e20afa96df6e43e2f722.jpg

No longer the princess, now the queen.

I believe monster Hunter world if you count digital
No. That's using junk estimates. And Splatoon 2 was 3 million a long time ago if counting digital.

I think it's likely it was Mario Kart Wii (edit - actually it was NSMB Wii)

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Can some post a list of all 3+ million sellers in Japan, for context?

Edit: So there's nine 5+ million sellers (Pokemons, Marios, Animal crossing and Brain Age 2), and twenty 4+ million sellers. Splatoon 2 is not quite on the "historical milestone" level just yet, with about 40 games ahead on the list. Still good of course, and it'll keep selling!
It is impressive for something that isn't Pokémon, Mario, Animal Crossing, or Dragon Quest to hit it; it isn't done selling either.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry can't trust the False King Famitsu.

But Splatoon 2 has almost certainly hit 3 mil in Japan no matter what. I wonder if it can top 10 million worldwide. Maybe not though if they pump out a Splatoon 3 this gen.

Also I can't believe there has never been a Splatoon spinoff game. The series is begging for a tactics game.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry can't trust the False King Famitsu.

But Splatoon 2 has almost certainly hit 3 mil in Japan no matter what. I wonder if it can top 10 million worldwide. Maybe not though if they pump out a Splatoon 3 this gen.

Also I can't believe there has never been a Splatoon spinoff game. The series is begging for a tactics game.

Splatoon is already at 3,34m in Japan, according to Nintendo. Those were the numbers in December 2018, so the game should be a bit higher by now.

WW LTD is 8,27m. Extremely likely it will reach the 10m mark.