Splatoon 2 is the first console game to sell over 2m in Japan in 8 years

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Atheerios, Jan 10, 2018.

1. RalchAC

RalchAC Member

I played plenty of games with gyro in the Vita and precisely the fact that was a handheld made it feel more natural to me.

Any reason why Splatoon could be a different case?

2. Kinger256

Kinger256 Member

Splatoon 2 being the first console game to sell 2mil in 8 years is not that impressive when you consider what sets switch apart is it's portability, and the lack of such, was the main reason we haven't seen any console games selling this much since. I mean if we are really going this route of strictly comparing the switch to consoles, we are ignoring the comparisons that are more indicative of switch's success on a hardware and software view rather than something that has become relatively niche in Japanese gaming.

I think a much more impressive headline is that it's easily outselling MK and Odyssey during the holidays possibly showing that it's only second to Pokemon in terms of Nintendo franchises.

3. Weegian

Weegian Member

Bring on Splathreen.

Woomy.

4. RedAhmed

RedAhmed Member

That is until Pokemon and Animal Crossing release!

Still great achievement. Splatoon is HUGE in Japan.

5. Hoshigumi

Hoshigumi Member

I want to play as a filthy salmonid

6. marcus

marcus Member

maximum
    W O O M A G E

7. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

Calling the switch a home console in Japan of all places is pretty ironic, I guess that's why Nintendo promotes splatoon2 like this

[​IMG]

8. KtSlime

KtSlime Member

Nintendo commonly promotes all their games in all 3 modes. No need to be spouting half truths.

9. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

Calling it a console is the half truth.

It's portable too, and it's selling like it is because of that.

10. Zalman

Zalman Member

Splatoon 2 would have reached this milestone even if Switch wasn't portable. The first game was a million-seller already on Nintendo's worst-selling console.

11. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Who cares if its handheld, console or a brick.

Disregarding handheld sales like people liked doing in the past makes no sense anymore. The Switch is over 300 dollars, the games are 50-70 dollars. That's full console pricing.

12. Alrus

Alrus Member

Again when talking about Splatoon this is just disingenuous, the original sold 1,7m on the Wii U, a console that sold badly and had a very apathetic user base. The Switch is selling well and so far seems to have a much more active userbase, the fact that it can be played in hand held mode is only a small part of the reason for its success.

13. CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths Member

I actually thought it seemed high. Game has been in discount bins since launch and some retailers haven't even sold through their initial shipment yet. Guess that sounds about right with digital included though.

14. Napalm_Frank

Napalm_Frank Member

Considering the thread is about comparing sales of Splatoon 2 to the game sales of non portable consoles instead of portable ones I think it's perfectly fine to point out that there are some flaws to thinking those two markets being the same.

Yes, the Switch is a huge success and I'm not downplaying anything. It doesn't make the success and sales any less meaningful, least of all to Nintendo. I'm just saying that you cannot look at stuff like this and declare that Switch has resulted in some kind of home console renaissance in Japan when the fact is that portability of the machine plays a huge role in it's success in the region.

It doesn't matter if you don't think it's the successor to 3DS. But it still is a handheld device.

15. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

If you are trying to convince me that Switch would have sold at the same rate (over 3.5million in Japan since launch) if it wasn't portable, I mean no disrespect, but you're not going to get it.

---

It really isn't something that bothers me, I just read the thread and found the 'console' distintion versus portable a bit disingenous, but if that's going to make some people happier, let them be. I see no point in further engaging semantics.

16. massoluk

massoluk Member

You see a lot of people playing Splatoon in the subway, huh?

17. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

You don't see a lot of people playing anything else than smartphones in the subway since years ago.

18. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz Member

it bothers you enough to engage in those semantics to begin with, when literally no one else was.

edit
    I'm wrong. Some guy on the first page was too. Something something about prices

19. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

Literally happened on the first page. I see where this is going, so I'm out.

20. BassForever

BassForever Member

Would the switch be selling this well in Japan if it wasn’t portable/hybrid?

21. MagnesG

MagnesG Member

Wow this attitude. Ban worthy.

The ironic is someone obsessing on semantics while complaining his/her so called semantics when all had been said was never about semantics in quite a serious (pricing and stuff) not so semantics discussion.

22. Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk Member

Ah, pointless debate over whether the Switch "counts" as a handheld or console. Excellent, just the sort of discussion I like to see surrounding a platform designed to break down the barrier between the two form factors.

23. Arthands

Arthands Member

that will depend what unique selling point it has as a replacement for not being a hybrid

24. BeaconofTruth

BeaconofTruth Member

Really? I thought Final Fantasy was always a big hit in Japan. 2 million sold easy.

25. casiopao

casiopao Member

And yet the software is priced like console price and it sold as well, showing it is selling console like.

26. rAndom

rAndom Member

Arguing about the Switch being a home console/handheld/hybrid is really out of the topic in this thread.

Splatoon is a phenomenon in Japan. Being on a portable or not, Splatoon 2 will still reach 2 million regardless. That's simply giving the merit to the game's strength as a brand.

27. Atheerios

Atheerios Member Original Poster

Really Nintendo just accomplished what they wanted:

They changed the definition of what is a home console and what is a portable.

28. AV_Fanz

AV_Fanz Member

So I guess to some people, any time the Switch or a Switch title achieve some incredible sales figures, they would just discount it completely by saying "it's just a portable".

29. Sander VF

Sander VF Member

We have come a long way since the time Switch wasn’t gonna catch on in Japan because it was too big to fit into the pocket and not a REAL portable. With anecdotal evidence and 2ch threads to prove it, of course.

Now it’s successes there are not that impressive because it’s a portable.

30. mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet Member

The wii u entry almost sold 2 mil. That says enough about what legs this one is going to experience.

31. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard Member

I still get a good chuckle out of all the pre-launch Switch hot takes.

Hell, the post-launch hot takes are pretty great too.

32. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz Member

seems about right.

33. Fdkn

Fdkn Member

In Japan game prices are way more flexible, it's not $40 vs $60 like in the US.

If I am not mistaken, Splatoon 2 is 6k Yen? Console game prices are more on the 7-8 to even 9k range. Pokemon for example is 5k Yen, so the uptick for Switch games is not that high from 3ds games.

Zelda in comparison launched for 7k yen, so that's more in line with console prices. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is 8k Yen.

I can agree with this.

34. DXB-KNIGHT

DXB-KNIGHT Member

It's a Handsole which make Splatoon the first handsole game ever to reach 2 million in Japan.

35. BAN PUNCHER

BAN PUNCHER Member

Over 2 Million Served.

[​IMG]

36. NHarmonic.

NHarmonic. Member

Deserved, the game is incredible.

37. -shadow-

-shadow- Member

Over two million? So Nintendo, about that regional matchmaking...

38. Napalm_Frank

Napalm_Frank Member

It's not discounting the success, it's asking why is the thread made to compare Splatoon 2 specifically to non-portable games.

39. Toon Link

Toon Link Love & Respect Moderator

Impressive, and it will continue to sell well. The first game would have easily gotten there too if it wasn't for the Wii U selling so terribly.

40. Fantastic and well deserved sales, but is not a little disingenius to say 'console'? If the switch was solely a traditional console I don't think it would be hitting these heights.

41. Bizu

Bizu Member

This surprises me. It's a good game, okay. But not so much. I have 50hours of play and already tired (don't know if this is too much for u guys) but I expect more content of cloths, weapons...and please take off the introduction of whats going on...i just want a skip button

42. hussien-11

hussien-11 Member

True, and its a console game as much as it is a handheld game, so its not technically wrong to describe it this way.

anyway, very well deserved, its one of the best shooters I've ever played, a very fun game (I didn't play the first).

43. Echo

Echo Member

A lot of this can be attributed to the inherent cuteness of it, you know the "moe" style you people are always bitching about.

The other half is very likely the portable nature of Switch. No one I know plays it any other other way.

44. Wambo

Wambo Member

Impressive. Haven't bought the game myself yet, but I'm thinking about it.

45. Jaal

Jaal Member

Its the first home console game in 8 years to sell 2 million on a portable system, well done.

46. Fishsnot

Fishsnot Member

Glad to do my part.
    My whole family <3 Splatoon!

And then some!

47. Fishsnot

Fishsnot Member

That was only because of the July 21at release date. The start of the summer holidays for many kids.
    The idea here being that you can go out anywhere and have fun, be it at a family barbecue, a camping ground or at the beach! It has nothing to do with weather it is a portable or home console.
    I thought that it was very well advertised myself!

48. Marukoban

Marukoban Member

I'm impressed some people are bothered by this thread.
    Switch can be played as a home console. Whether it's successful because it's also a portable device is besides the point.
    It just shows that Nintendo managed to make a compelling hardware, whereby the competitor clearly doesn't even bother to try compete in Japan market.
    In terms of Splatoon 2, I think it helps Switch as much as Switch helps to boost its sales.
    Splatoon is a very popular franchise right now in Japan, and even if Switch is only a home console, I believe its sales will still be massive.
    Afterall, Splatoon did 1.7m on Wii U, which has installbase of 3.3m.

49. Raijinto

Raijinto Member

Yep, they did done good. Beating the likes of Dragon Quest, FF and Super Mario to the punch is no small feat indeed.

50. qq more

qq more Member

Eh? The art style attracting a lot of people is a good point but it's definitely not "moe".