• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pearl vs Marina

• Pearl

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Marina

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
promo324080340.jpg

Great game , still playing it and loving that Nintendo is updating it all the time with free DLC.

Haven't really got an official thread on it yet. Let's do this.

2d9oce3xvz7z.jpg

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Marina more, but I've found myself on Pearl's team more often than not.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting Marina as a tattoo on my calf in february so yeah.... Go Marina!

Pearl has grown on me tho but i prefer Marina's design and personality still.

JokesTooLong

Oct 27, 2017
Pearl insofar as she's had the correct splatfest choices.

But honestly the two of them ooze style so it's hard to pick!

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Marina is the best and it's not even a contest, but they keep giving her the bad sides in the Splatfests

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Why must we fight? They're a duo that works best when playing off of each other and wouldn't be nearly as interesting otherwise.

Unlike the Squid Sisters, where Marie was always clearly the best and works just fine with or without Callie.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm surprised that you didn't do a poll, OP.

As for me, I'm on Team Marina. I've been loyal to her in every Splatfest, even through the losses (& the handicaps that Nintendo gave Pearl).

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Pearl. She actually has a personality.

Marina seems like they just tried to appeal to people with a sexier design and forgot to make her the least bit interesting.

Deleted member 7079

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like both with Marina having the edge. I think that concept art was a mistake because Pearl looks nowhere near that awful and annoying in-game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been Team Pearl in every Splatfest. She has a knack for choosing my favorite option.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Marina is better but for some reason gets all the shitty options :(

Pearl is a trash baby.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pearl. She actually has a personality.

Marina seems like they just tried to appeal to people with a sexier design and forgot to make her the least bit interesting.

This echoes my thoughts. I just don't see anything appealing about Marina at all. Her design is awful and her dialogue just makes her seem like a petty and unlikeable person.

Marie >Pearl>Callie>Marina

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marina is better, but goddamn she has the absolute worst taste with everything.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
Marina is definitely the superior design but yeah Pearl seems to be the go to choice for Splatfests unfortunately. Anyone know when the next one is? I'm a little out of the loop, haven't had a chance to play lately.

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
Pearl. I really didn't like her at first but then she kinda grew on me. Marina seems overrated to me.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Pearl has way funnier dialogue and expressions. I love that Marina is a cool black girl and we've been seeing more of those in Nintendo's stuff though.

Also I fucking love that before the game came out we got nerds writing all these massive essays concern-trolling about what a misfire Pearl's objectively inferior design was and how it'd make the Splatfests beyond one-sided, and now Pearl is undefeated.

tumblr_inline_otgzvmBVQQ1r76tp7_400.jpg

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visually it's Marina, of course, but once you play the game Pearl is so damn lovable. Like an overexcited and somewhat aggressive puppy.

Also, I felt like at the start Marina's personality didn't match up to her animations / art style. She was just Marie 2.0 with snarky responses to whatever Pearl said, which was weird. I think they've improved this though and now she feels like her own thing, but in that initial phase I definitely liked Pearl more as she was more unique.

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this one yet, how's the dynamic between the two? Seems like it would be different then that of the Squid Sisters since Pearl is clearly much younger then Marina.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're both great, but Marina is the best by far. Her dialogue is always wonderfully sassy, in a way that actually fits her more subdued personality, despite perhaps seeming to be an odd fit. I enjoy Pearl's quick raps in songs, but I have to assume the Octarian influence in Acid Hues and Muck Warfare comes from her, and those songs are absolutely fantastic, so she wins overall (despite losing every post-release splatfest). Overall I enjoy Off the Hook's dynamics more than the Squid Sisters, although they are both excellent in their own ways and complement each other well.

I haven't played this one yet, how's the dynamic between the two? Seems like it would be different then that of the Squid Sisters since Pearl is clearly much younger then Marina.
Nope it's the other way around, Pearl is actually supposed to be the somewhat older industry veteran. She lets Marina poke fun at her, that's why Marina never comes off as a bully

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Character-wise I have always liked Pearl best; I like her spunkiness, irreverence, and brio. Marina is too chilled out to have a memorable personality. Design-wise I think they are both really good and unique.