• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I don't think they nerfed the Enperries enough... What a hellish game, especially since 3 of the players on the other team were top 500

DoSoLx7U8AA6aPe.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So I just found out that the Octoboi catchphrase isn't "Oomi" like I always imagined it to be. It's freaking "Weyo".

My day is ruined.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017

3 straight losses. The last two by 2 and 1 point. The last because I couldn't get one pick when we needed it. I don't deserve to live any more. If losing by this margin isn't a sign from God that I need to end myself, that I'll always be a worthless loser, then I don't know what is.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

3 straight losses. The last two by 2 and 1 point. The last because I couldn't get one pick when we needed it. I don't deserve to live any more. If losing by this margin isn't a sign from God that I need to end myself, that I'll always be a worthless loser, then I don't know what is.

This is getting too out of hand. Stop saying this stuff, is awful. You can't measure your worth on this damn game. We all lose matches, it's just part of the whole thing.

Try focusing on the fun the game brings, the good times it gives you. If now it's just giving you stress maybe you should take a break and come back when you're more calm.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Now that it's October, I hope they announce the rest of the Kensa weapons this week! Since the next patch will include weapons with Fizzy Bomb and Booyah Bomb, I hope that they don't restrict the new weapons to new kits, since they are introduced quite late so I hope a few older kits are revamped to use the new sub or special. Maybe for example, Splash-o-Matic could use a Fizzy Bomb over Toxic Mist.

Also, if they do a balance patch, I also hope that they do something about Tenta Missiles since competitive players have argued about the uselessness of those weapons (even though I personally love it), and by "something", I mean give it more advantages.

Thank you for reading.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Now that it's October, I hope they announce the rest of the Kensa weapons this week! Since the next patch will include weapons with Fizzy Bomb and Booyah Bomb, I hope that they don't restrict the new weapons to new kits, since they are introduced quite late so I hope a few older kits are revamped to use the new sub or special. Maybe for example, Splash-o-Matic could use a Fizzy Bomb over Toxic Mist.

Also, if they do a balance patch, I also hope that they do something about Tenta Missiles since competitive players have argued about the uselessness of those weapons (even though I personally love it), and by "something", I mean give it more advantages.

Thank you for reading.
I'm fairly certain that they aren't going to change any of the kits on weapons already released. Probably all of the Kensa Set 2 will have at least one or the other of the new sub/specials, and there's still the alt kits for the Ballpoint, Nautilus, Explosher, and Bloblobber, so a few of them will contain new stuff too. We know from datamines that several weapons had kits altered before release, but that's never happened after and I don't see that changing.

To the point on the last page, if you want to take away the blasters' ability to kill with splash damage around corners, then just remove the entire class of weapons entirely. The blast damage is their entire advantage over other weapons.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god this new music is incredible! The band is called Diss-Pair and includes the bassist from Squid Squad. The first song Seasick might be my favorite normal battle music yet, I love how it takes Metalopod to the next level

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I predict the Kensa kits are as follows (first 5 are the assumption that it's based on main weapons; last 6 are the assumption that it's based on Splat/Sheldon):
- Kensa Blaster: Fizzy Bomb/Ink Armour
- Kensa Slosher: Burst Bomb/Booyah Bomb
- Kensa Splatling: Point Sensor/Booyah Bomb
- Kensa Octobrush: Fizzy Bomb/Baller
- Kensa Brella: Toxic Mist/Booyah Bomb
- Kensa Splattershot Jr.: Burst Bomb/Baller
- Kensa Splattershot Pro: Fizzy Bomb/Suction Bomb Launcher
- Kensa Mini Splatling: Suction Bomb/Burst Bomb Launcher
- Kensa Aerospray: Burst Bomb/Ink Storm
- Kensa Dynamo Roller: Curling Bomb/Ink Storm
- Kensa Bamboozler: Fizzy Bomb/Booyah Bomb

I'm fairly certain that they aren't going to change any of the kits on weapons already released. Probably all of the Kensa Set 2 will have at least one or the other of the new sub/specials, and there's still the alt kits for the Ballpoint, Nautilus, Explosher, and Bloblobber, so a few of them will contain new stuff too. We know from datamines that several weapons had kits altered before release, but that's never happened after and I don't see that changing.
At the same time, there hasn't been a new Sub or Special Weapon introduced after most of the weapons have been developed before, so I don't think it's impossible for certain kits to be changed. The Bubble Blower technically wasn't in the first batch of weapons, but it existed as part of the then-future weapons so it's not a late-inclusion in the same way the Fizzy Bomb or Booyah Bomb are. Unless the developers have planned for there to have an abundance of weapons to use the new Sub or Special, I can see a select few changing their kits, probably two at most.

Thank you for reading.

Forks

Nov 18, 2017
Uh, Nintendo has never changed a weapon's kit and never will. At this point we just have to wait and see what ends up getting third kit.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

Pro: Splat Bomb, Booyah Bomb
Luna: Fizzy Bomb, Ink Storm
Dynamo: Sprinkler, Booyah Bomb
Sloshine: Fizzy, Splashdown

(JP patch notes are out but that's too much for me)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some decent stuff in the patch notes.

96 gal got a range buff, Flingza roller kill range has increased a little, nautilus 47 bullet velocity has increased by 133%, dynamo spreads more ink closer to you during horizontal flick, goo tuber ranve buff and undercover brella shots do 12 damage instead of 10 damage. Oh yeah splattershot pro, mini splatling, and sploosh all paint at your feet better too.

Tentamissiles seem to shoot faster again. Wow.

Splash Wall now has you recover your ink faster than before

They enabled more voice chat with friends functionality for all modes in the phone app. Still no randoms.

These weapons got their special cost changed:

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
The Splatoon twitter uploaded a video of the new stage and weapons in action:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having each player's K-D and special charge displayed in spectator mode is a nice addition. Maybe Enperries will finally be reasonable although I'm not sure about the charger/firefin nerfs

Also some kind of improvements about punishing people who dc and not punishing their teammates, which should be nice

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
....Jesus fucking Christ they really want people to spam the shit out of Splashdowns.

I can already tell that I hate this new meta and it might literally drive me away from the game entirely. I do not want to deal with that shit again.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me, the better Ballpoint is going to be in the last weapon set isn't it? Fuck me.

I was not expecting the patch to do that much for weapon changes after we just had one. I like balance patches but you gotta let them breathe.

That said....I think I'm in love with this patch. Better painting for a bunch of shooters? Hell yes! 133% velocity increase on the Nautilus!? Is that a typo?? Either 13 or 33 because 133% is, like, almost instant. I'll take it, don't get me wrong but that's crazy fast and will easily hold me over until the alternate Ballpoint in 2023.

Either the time we're getting new weapons extends past December or Booyah Bomb and This Way Hammer are going to be extremely busted because they're going to be rare from the looks of it. Currently the rarest specials are the Bubble Blower and Stingray at, iirc, 8 kits each excluding copies of kits from the single player modes. This is shaping up to be possibly four kits each of the two new specials. Not crazy about that but if these new specials are bonkers it might be needed.

If you haven't learned to snipe panic splashdowns, you're gonna now. While DUDE has put out a video about countering them, it's little more than "assume they're going to do it and aim up early". My advice is go into the shooting range and there's a balloon on the right on the catwalk. That is about the height a panic Splashdown will go. Practice shooting at floor level and then flicking upward to that height. You can also use
Inner Agent 3 as practice. They also works out for practicing against Dualie rolls, although that's kind of pointless thanks to latency...

Shorthand translations:

Sploosh o Matic
Extended paint spread

Splattershot Jr
Extended paint spread

Aerospray
Extended paint spread

Splattershot Pro
Paints more at your feet
The earliest droplets that are closer to the player will fall more often (when you shoot, the droplets will randomly fall at semi-set ranges. This buff means that the closest spot where droplets can fall will appear more often. Short version, paints in a way to improve mobility and makes it easier for the Pro user to "own" a spot. These are amazing buffs)

96 Gal
Range increased by 6%

Dynamo Roller
Normal flicks extend paint spread

Flingza Roller
Range of 100 point damage during normal flicks extended 5%

Gootuber
No charge shots extend range by 27%
*as a result, all other shots except for full charge shots will have extended range

Mini Splatling
Droplets now paint in a more forward direction / smear

Nautilus
Range is unchanged but shot velocity increased by 133% (HOLY!!)

Undercover Brella
Max damage from a single shot remains at 40 points, but individual shot damage increased from 10 -> 12

Splash Shield
Time until you can recover ink after use reduced by 15 frames (now if only there were more kits with it...)

Tenta Missiles
Time to launch missiles reduced

Splashdown
If killed mid-animation, special gauge reduction on respawn reduced from 50% to 25%
Damage increased against Bubble Blower shots and will 100% destroy unpopped bubbles
Several weapons with Splashdown have reduced point requirements.

And more important than anything, Drop Roller makes a sound now. Giddy up.

I'm really interested in the disconnect changes but don't have time before work and Era is blocked so can't fallow up but if this is reading what I think it is, I think I'm going to break early and pay for the garbage online before Smash. Watching that Nintendo support page very intently today.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for the brush people like me hehe.

Also, i don't know if i'm too naive in a way but i always fall for splashdowns. I don't know if i'm bad at predicting the other kits, or when the players get the special.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh my god this new music is incredible! The band is called Diss-Pair and includes the bassist from Squid Squad. The first song Seasick might be my favorite normal battle music yet, I love how it takes Metalopod to the next level

That first track is so much more like what I expected from Splatoon 2 than what we got. I much prefer the harder rock/punk style to the weird...party music or whatever 2's style mostly is.

Forks

Nov 18, 2017
Here are my hot takes from the patch notes

• Booyah Bomb sure looks a lot like Inkstrike from the first game. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but just having one on your team will be nice for the potential special charging bonuses.
  • If the Kensa Splattershot Pro doesn't kill off the Forge, nothing will. Thank god the Pro can finally paint its feet now, it only took Nintendo three years to consider this buff for the Pro. Too bad it's even worse in this game lol
  • The Kensa Dyamo is gonna be the best one out of the four new weapons. It has sprinkler, the main weapon got a small painting buff, and booyah bomb looks like it paints a whole lot. Maybe it can finally be the painting terror it used to be in S1.
  • The last few 96gal buffs aren't huge on paper, but I expect to see both kits used a lot more often now. I think the vanilla one is still better than the 96deco (despite its entire kit getting buffed)
  • The Kensa Sloshing Machine and Luna are a tragedy, with neither sub or special helping either weapons strengths. The Sloshing Machine finally got a decent bomb, but splashdown isn't a good special for it since you're not fighting super close with that weapon like a splattershot or blaster. It might be able to reliably combo off splashdowns, so that's always an option. The Kensa Luna is a short range weapon with ink storm and this game already has a plethora of ink storm weapons so it's already outclassed.
  • Don't kid yourselves, Splashdown is still bad.
  • Both the Enperry Dualies and Kensa Dualies got huge special point nerfs. In competitive play: Inkjet spam is one thing, but the main issue with those weapons always has and still is that the main weapon and rolls are just so overwhelmingly good. They're still going to be amazing weapons in spite of the special point nerfs, but I wonder if the Tentatek Splattershot getting inkjet faster for the first time will get some people using it over the Enperries again. We shall see.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That Kensa Splattershot Pro looks really slick. Love the black and white look of that weapon.

Also, the special change for the brush is great. It's such a psychotic weapon sometimes with its bomb and special, I approve of any change that lets it just spam Splashdown more easily. :D

• The Kensa Sloshing Machine and Luna are a tragedy, with neither sub or special helping either weapons strengths. The Sloshing Machine finally got a decent bomb, but splashdown isn't a good special for it since you're not fighting super close with that weapon like a splattershot or blaster. It might be able to reliably combo off splashdowns, so that's always an option.

Don't know if I agree with this, at least regarding the special. The Sloshing Machine should definitely be played at range, but like most in the weapon class, it has TTK trouble when opponents do manage to get close or ambush them. Dualies in particular can be a difficult matchup. It's not a Jet Squelcher or anything, so it's going to see some close quarters encounters that it might not like. This is, at the very least, a "go away" button for a weapon that wants to keep its distance. Seems like it was designed to be a more well-rounded generalist option for the Sloshing Machine class.

I would've preferred Splashdown on the regular Slosher instead but at least they didn't put it on the Tri, lol.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I don't know how anyone can feel good about going into a world where Splashdowns are more readily spammable than they already are. Hell I don't know why people would want any special to be that easily spammable. A little bit of special charge means that an inkbrush is more likely than not to have a Splashdown on hand literally every time you encounter them. If you're good at countering Splashdowns then great for you, you can punish them a bunch. If you're not good at countering, then you're probably just fucked. Neither scenario actually makes that matchup fun or interesting though. This is an incredibly poorly thought-through solution to Splashdown falling out of use in the high level meta. All it does is make the low and middle-grounds that much more annoying to play in.

I hate how special-focused the game is and how it's trying to lean even further that way.

Forks

Nov 18, 2017
Don't know if I agree with this, at least regarding the special. The Sloshing Machine should definitely be played at range, but like most in the weapon class, it has TTK trouble when opponents do manage to get close or ambush them. Dualies in particular can be a difficult matchup. It's not a Jet Squelcher or anything, so it's going to see some close quarters encounters that it might not like. This is, at the very least, a "go away" button for a weapon that wants to keep its distance. Seems like it was designed to be a more well-rounded generalist option for the Sloshing Machine class.

The reason why something like a Rapid Blaster is very spacing dependent is because the projectile doesn't do any damage unless you're directly hitting your opponent or using the explosion radius at the very end of the shot to hit them. The Sloshing Machine's projectile always does at least 35 damage as long as it touches the opponent in some way, so it's actually a lot easier to fight people up close - especially if you're landing your directs.

The Machine is actually starting to get some more use nowadays because it's actually really good against dualies and inkjets. (and it's godly on Tower Control) It's a lot harder for dualies to roll around and avoid taking damage from sloshing machine shots. And if they get hit with a direct, the rolls aren't fast enough to escape getting hit from an indirect as well. Splashdown probably isn't going to be terrible with the Kensa Machine, bu I think the other kits which have stingray and Splat Bomb Rush have way more utility than splashdown.

I hate how special-focused the game is and how it's trying to lean even further that way.

Are you sure about that? If anything this game rewards coordinated special pushes a lot more than the first game. It was a lot easier to rambo it out with specials like inkzooka, kraken and bubbler. Maybe you can get away with spamming splashdowns in solo queue, but in competitive play against people who know how to deny splashdowns: you'll almost never see Splashdown weapons picked. Used unless it's maps with awkward terrain like Backbelly Skatepark and Moray Towers tbh

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone can feel good about going into a world where Splashdowns are more readily spammable than they already are. Hell I don't know why people would want any special to be that easily spammable. A little bit of special charge means that an inkbrush is more likely than not to have a Splashdown on hand literally every time you encounter them. If you're good at countering Splashdowns then great for you, you can punish them a bunch. If you're not good at countering, then you're probably just fucked. Neither scenario actually makes that matchup fun or interesting though. This is an incredibly poorly thought-through solution to Splashdown falling out of use in the high level meta. All it does is make the low and middle-grounds that much more annoying to play in.

Please, brushes are the weakest of the close combat weapons. Blasters can one shot you, dualies are faster and can escape easily, rollers can one-shot you, etc. Mostly everyone can escape brushes, especially in certain stages.

Brushes needed a buff desperately. Maybe now they can actually be viable and appear on the ranks of the most used weapons.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how people's experience with the game is so differently described in each post.

"Brushes are weak, Splashdowns are easy to counter, this doesn't matter in competitive so turf wars/solo is moot, etc."

It's funny. So many things I agree with and so many I don't :P

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
English notes are live, possible typo on enperry special points listed as 210 and not 220, and DC policy wasn't what I wanted. I thought they eliminated the penalty entirety at last but they just extended the grace time. It was DC in first two minutes was safe but now I think it is a DC in the first three minutes. Still boo. Need to think about online sub or not...

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Are you sure about that? If anything this game rewards coordinated special pushes a lot more than the first game. It was a lot easier to rambo it out with specials like inkzooka, kraken and bubbler. Maybe you can get away with spamming splashdowns in solo queue, but in competitive play against people who know how to deny splashdowns: you'll almost never see Splashdown weapons picked. Used unless it's maps with awkward terrain like Backbelly Skatepark and Moray Towers tbh
The bolded is partially making my point for me, though. If Splashdown kits are rarely being picked because people have become better at countering it, then....letting people just do even more Splashdowns doesn't actually do anything to address that. It means that people have to be even more consistent with it I guess because the one time you mess it up could lead to a big push, but then we're just pushing the game even further into the realm of the QR zombie meta where players are encouraged to just keep pounding away with less penalty for failure, until the one time it works and you actually break through.
I'd much rather the game reward teams that are able to coordinate and push using their actual weapons themselves, rather than trying to form things so heavily around whether you can chain multiple specials or not. That's a personal preference issue more than me trying to say it's objectively bad for the game, though.

Please, brushes are the weakest of the close combat weapons. Blasters can one shot you, dualies are faster and can escape easily, rollers can one-shot you, etc. Mostly everyone can escape brushes, especially in certain stages.

Brushes needed a buff desperately. Maybe now they can actually be viable and appear on the ranks of the most used weapons.
I don't disagree that the inkbrush as a weapon is fairly weak and needs a buff. But this doesn't really do that. You say the brush is the weakest close combat weapon....it still is. Blasters can still one-shot you, dualies are still faster and can escape easily. Spamming more splashdowns doesn't affect that at all. It doesn't make the inkbrush itself better. It just further emphasizes the Tentakook style of play that I've already seen tons of inkbrush players employ. Run away, hurl bombs at anyone who gets close, build special, and then move in with the splatbomb > splashdown > splatbomb combo.

I never minded the low special cost on Undercover Brella much because that's another main weapon that I believe to be fairly weak (I have no idea how this 10-to-12 "buff" is supposed to actually help it at all) and it had inkmines as a sub. Inkbrush can ink better than UCB, I swear it actually hits more consistently than UCB does already anyway, has a more versatile and lethal subweapon, and now has the same obscenely low special cost. Sploosh being able to curling bomb around with cheaper Splashdowns is going to see the return of its YOLO base-invades from earlier in the game's life. Again, if they wanted people to take Splashdown weapons more seriously, especially at higher levels, I think they're going about doing it in the wrong way.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Why does Splashdown get an animation frame buff but not Baller?

Sick of being killed 1 second into my ball transformation animation where some of my special meter is already significantly depleted for no reason.

Although in fairness if they buffed that I'd literally be unstoppable lol

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I excepted as much but you can accelerate the "cook" time on the Fizzy Bomb by moving the control stick back and forth.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Booyah makes it speed up to max size faster, but the size it grows to is fixed (maybe larger with more allies?). Cannot launch until it is max size.
Special Power Up does a lot for this special. It accelerates the auto grow speed of the bomb before firing, makes the bomb fly faster, and expands the radius of the blast (the animation takes the same amount of time so the extra range actually artificially makes the blast grow faster). Does not appear to extend the range you can throw the bomb (I wanted to throw it over the stage and hit enemy spawn... T_T)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Booyah bomb seems very cool, it feels really good spamming booyah when your teammates use it. I love how the Skipper zone is angled onto the ramp, it's a neat touch when so many other zones are flat.

Somehow I had a crown in the first match of this rotation, I feel like no one in the 2100s should get that, even in the beginning of the month it should be too low. It's kind of hellish if everyone on either your team or the other team is using booyah bombs, it's just a constant barrage of booyahs that's hard to keep track of

Forks

Nov 18, 2017
Fizzy bombs are already better than curling bombs. They can't kill anything, but they use up less ink and travel faster than curlings. Now that I've seen it in action, I think it's gonna help the Luna Blaster a ton and be quite useful for the Sloshing Machine

You are actually invencible while summoning the Booyah bomb?

Nah you get super armor that lets you tank a few hits. You can still die really fast if you throw it out solo and get shot at by an entire team.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Fizzy bombs are already better than curling bombs. They can't kill anything, but they use up less ink and travel faster than curlings. Now that I've seen it in action, I think it's gonna help the Luna Blaster a ton and be quite useful for the Sloshing Machine

Nah you get super armor that lets you tank a few hits. You can still die really fast if you throw it out solo and get shot at by an entire team.

I have tried to kill others while they're summoning and their armor lasts too long, I haven't been able to do it nor seen anyone doing it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new stage and a new Splattershot Pro? Cool!

edit: New music is cool. The Splattershot Pro kit is good. Just sucks now everyone is using it.

Last edited:

Kodaman

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this stage is trash... at least for Splat Zones

Edit: ok, maybe it was just the booyah bomb that is trash

Last edited:

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love the new Sloshing Machine. The fact that they gave it Fizzy Bomb is soooooo great. Even without shaking them, they do minimum splash of 35.0, maximum 50.0. And they detonate much quicker than a Splat Bomb. So you can kinda do a combo with a quick Fizzy, followed by an immediate direct. It's not exactly like the old Burst Bomb Slosher combo in the first Splatoon because the enemy will have time to react to the fizzy bomb, but you could get some good, cheap chip damage out of just throwing them immediately. Playing the machine at range gives some nice spacing to shake up the subweapon too. Definitely want to play around with this more, seems kind of deep.

Also the Splashdown chip damage works pretty well for the weapon. That 70.0 damage range is really nice for those follow-up indirects.

Was surprised they actually did a Saltspray type left-right map, was expecting they quit that kind of layout. I guess they did have that Shifty Map that was like that, though.

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017
Booyah bomb is cool but spamming booyah during intense moments of the match is distracting. It also makes you very vulnerable when you use it and it's easy to get killed either by someone shooting at you or throwing a bomb at your landing position. However, I can see it becoming a very scary tool of distraction in clam blitz! I can't wait to see how people will spam the hell out of it at the basket. That certainly will be very entertaining to see!

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was a very fun rotation. Booyah bomb really makes you feel more in a team.

Shame that i really suck with sloshers, i liked the washing-fizzy combo.