• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hammer could be better if it wasn't so clunky to manipulate/when changing directions. Also it should explode or something at the end, feels too sudden to just stop. Throwing it is satisfying but as Dyle said, you need too much precision to get a kill. It'd be better if you throw it and it had the blast of a single bubble.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cool! I was right about the "not-sub straffing" being a thing with these new recovery buffs now.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
They really, really want people to use the Jr weapons. All three kits are designed to be extremely annoying and I personally feel like the Kensa Jr is the strongest of the four new kits. If you want to use Torpedoes, there is no reason at all to use UnderKensa Brella over Jr. In fact, there's really no reason to use UnderKensa Brella at all, something which the rest of the SplatEra Discord seemed to agree with me on that while we were all testing stuff out in privates last night.

Ultra Stamp is hilarious and pretty versatile, but not unbeatable and it's not an exact replacement for the old Kraken. It's a lot more vulnerable than I first thought, even from the front, but that just means it's better as a sneak/flanker special than something you'd just pop and charge up the front with. The jumping spin attack lacks range but can OHKO and is a lot faster to come out than a standing stamp, and the ability to throw it at any time means you need to be on your toes if you know the opponent has one. It could maybe use a slight tweak at most, but going much harder than that could risk making it ridiculous really fast.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They really, really want people to use the Jr weapons. All three kits are designed to be extremely annoying and I personally feel like the Kensa Jr is the strongest of the four new kits. If you want to use Torpedoes, there is no reason at all to use UnderKensa Brella over Jr. In fact, there's really no reason to use UnderKensa Brella at all, something which the rest of the SplatEra Discord seemed to agree with me on that while we were all testing stuff out in privates last night.

Ultra Stamp is hilarious and pretty versatile, but not unbeatable and it's not an exact replacement for the old Kraken. It's a lot more vulnerable than I first thought, even from the front, but that just means it's better as a sneak/flanker special than something you'd just pop and charge up the front with. The jumping spin attack lacks range but can OHKO and is a lot faster to come out than a standing stamp, and the ability to throw it at any time means you need to be on your toes if you know the opponent has one. It could maybe use a slight tweak at most, but going much harder than that could risk making it ridiculous really fast.

Honestly i think it's too weak and messy. Yesterday i splatted someone with the splashdown who was charging at me with the Stamp at full speed. Seeing as it locks your direction it's easy to bypass and attack from behind (happened a lot of times in my plays) or even from the front. I don't see the benefit over the faster splashdown, the better projectiles (tenta), better support (storm and armor), etc.

Oct 27, 2017
This new Salmon Run stage is fucking fantastic. I love the whole theme and the different ways to navigate around it. The devs come up with some of the best stages

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The Ruins of Ark Polaris are indeed a fantastic place to hunt Salmonids. The stage gives you this awesome feeling of defending the high ground against the hordes swarming below and if you do go down to meet them where they spawn it's interesting to navigate the ramps and walls and rails as sometimes the challenge isn't so much killing the bosses but getting the eggs back to the basket in a time-efficent manner.

I'm fine with not getting any more maps or even map revamps, but if this is the kind of quality we can expect the devs to bring to Salmon Run I really wish they'd continue supporting this one mode and really want them to put a huge focus on it for Splatoon 3.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ruins of Ark Polaris is a really fun stage. Especially love it during high tide rounds! It is just a chaotic mess up there.
(Although high tide Mothership is kind of a joke. Boxes everywhere.)

It definitely leans a bit on the easy side, in terms of Salmon Run maps. But it also feels like the map that is easiest to sabotage by a bad player. All of the rounds we lost were because 1 or 2 players must've thought something was really interesting at the bottom of the map. It is a little like Marooner Bay in that, if you get people who refuse to run eggs, it's hard to come back from it. But unlike Marooner, the design of the stage naturally encourages people to lead more enemies toward the box... The Salmonids just naturally tend to climb as the match goes on as people keep running eggs.

Flyfishes are so awkward to kill, though. The depth perception from throwing them up above gets all messed up. I bricked so many throws, lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Polaris is great! Love styling on Grillers by using a splatling while riding the rails.

Though this stage is one of the creepier stages I've seen. Just empty, dead ocean in all directions. The sunset looks like the horizon is on fire. There are no stars to be seen covered by smog. And night turns to pure black nothing everywhere. This stage is crazy unnerving.

Don't worry about eggs at the lowest level and let things like Scrappers and Steelheads get closer to the basket please...it is super hard to recover eggs to the top or rescue you if you die down there...

And people still don't know you have specials and they do, astonishingly, work outside of the last 4 seconds of wave 3. I was shocked too. I swear I'm going to check in with Callie and Marie and my rescue rate is going to be 7 and rescued rate being 0.5.

Finally, I get to see full on how Mist works vs Dualies and...yeah, that's like 40%.

If I use mist on a dualie rolling toward me, they get one roll before their tank will probably be empty.

831.png

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ruins of Ark Polaris is a really fun stage. Especially love it during high tide rounds! It is just a chaotic mess up there.
(Although high tide Mothership is kind of a joke. Boxes everywhere.)

It definitely leans a bit on the easy side, in terms of Salmon Run maps. But it also feels like the map that is easiest to sabotage by a bad player. All of the rounds we lost were because 1 or 2 players must've thought something was really interesting at the bottom of the map. It is a little like Marooner Bay in that, if you get people who refuse to run eggs, it's hard to come back from it. But unlike Marooner, the design of the stage naturally encourages people to lead more enemies toward the box... The Salmonids just naturally tend to climb as the match goes on as people keep running eggs.

Flyfishes are so awkward to kill, though. The depth perception from throwing them up above gets all messed up. I bricked so many throws, lol.

Yeah i started messing my shots against flyflish again, i felt like when i started playing this shit a year ago lmao.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Flyfish continue to be the worst goddamned thing about Salmon Run, and possibly the game as a whole. This map doesn't make them any less of a massive pain in the ass to deal with.

Thematically the Ark is cool but I'm not sold on it for that reason.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After further plays on the Ark I noticed it is much more affected by the RNG of enemy selection compared to other stages. Flyfish and Stingers are easily the most troublesome enemies... And if you get a whole bunch of them, you're constantly climbing down and dealing with them. This can be a problem on all maps, but Flyfishes usually position themselves in slightly more convenient places. A lot of losses happen when people get killed going down trying to deal with those spawns, and then we lose a bunch of time.

The Grillers and Goldie rounds are a bit difficult too, but that might be because we don't know where to stand yet or where to look.

Low tide strikes me as being very easy but is also a little RNG dependent. Especially Flyfishes on low tide.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It Does suffer from Marooner's bay syndrome. Sometimes matchs can only be won if you get a couple of maws near the basket, if not you're done.

Also climbing via walls is faster than using the rails.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Ultra Stamp is looking absolutely terrible outside of very select situations and maybe helping in Rainmaker pushes. If you use it anywhere that doesn't have walls to your immediate sides, you're a giant bullseye.
We got absolutely demolished on an Ultra Stamp Rainmaker rush on Mako Mart last night. I tried to flank but couldn't get in close enough with my Sploosh. It was hilarious and cute and infuriating, of course. I'm bummed I have zero interest in either kit it's on, but hey, maybe later on.

My hot take is that Ruins of Ark Polaris is easily the best SR map. The verticality & rails allow so many different ways to configure the map, and it was definitely a challenge to learn everything for the first time. I'm really, really looking forward to the random weapons shift this weekend.

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017
It Does suffer from Marooner's bay syndrome. Sometimes matchs can only be won if you get a couple of maws near the basket, if not you're done.
This only happens if you do all the killing at the furthest point from the basket, which seems to be a very common mistake people do all the time. Let the bosses come closer to the basket then kill them. The only bosses you are supposed to kill regardless of their position are flyfish and stingers. It's okay to kill some bosses far away, but steel eels, maws, and scrappers should only be killed near the basket.

Please stay by the basket during low/mid tide, it makes eggs collection waaaaay easier.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This only happens if you do all the killing at the furthest point from the basket, which seems to be a very common mistake people do all the time. Let the bosses come closer to the basket then kill them. The only bosses you are supposed to kill regardless of their position are flyfish and stingers. It's okay to kill some bosses far away, but steel eels, maws, and scrappers should only be killed near the basket.

Please stay by the basket during low/mid tide, it makes eggs collection waaaaay easier.

This is true, but is still dependent on what your teammates are doing. It only takes one over-eager teammate to stall a Scrapper you are leading, for example. Or the Maws don't spawn to you or you don't get a chance to steal-lure one from a teammate. Or the team won't let the umbrella re-jump closer when it first spawns. Stuff like that.

Ark is almost like the extreme version of Marooner, where good/bad decisions swing the outcome very wildly.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear dropping down to Overachiever in Salmon Run is like being back in Rank C. People are aggressively shitty. One dude was dead and instead of riding the rails to a nearby player he just kept riding them all around like an idiot. Fuck my internet causing so many disconnects

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I swear dropping down to Overachiever in Salmon Run is like being back in Rank C. People are aggressively shitty. One dude was dead and instead of riding the rails to a nearby player he just kept riding them all around like an idiot. Fuck my internet causing so many disconnects

The mental image of the dead guy riding the rails infinitely made me laugh, lmao.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Care to explain? I couldn't understand the voice/accent in the video.
Normally when swimming in ink, there is delay when making drastic changes in direction. Like swim in one direction and then try to swim in the exact opposite one and you'll notice you can't do it right away. Sub straffing is an intermediate movement tech discovered where if you hold the R button and pop out of ink when you want to change direction before swimming again with little speed loss.

The video shows that with these new recovery buffs shooters have gotten in 4.2 the light weight shooters that were made 4 frames faster (Sploosh, Jr, Aerospray) can do "sub straffing" even faster and easier. If you hold the fire button and go squid form and swim a bit, let go of squid to pop out of ink and while still holding the fire button, you can go squid again to go in a different direction with no speed loss.

Sub Strafing primer so imagine this but slightly faster and easier.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of these days people are going to realize you can easily shoot down torpedoes. One of these days...

Man, has anyone else been getting these unstable connection problems lately? Shit is annoying

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Running sub saver Toxic Mist builds (1M3S) and trying it on dualie scrubs. Behind all the win streaks and X ranks, they were just getting carried by a year of buffs and spamming a button. Suddenly they have to care about how they approach and don't have a clue... It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

kVFucjd.gif

XrnwUe.gif

WjH2qyv2rWiTXRZj9aLgrstPNHI=.gif

PTH4HupEMb3asagp0p66tQ6LI8Q=.gif

Ah...what was I laughing about again? Oh yes, all the dualie frauds getting exposed!

giphy.gif

tumblr_owicythagW1rnkcazo1_500.gif

Random weapon Polaris Salmon Run, let's fucking go!

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

people pay twenty us dollars for this
meanwhile I just forgot to turn off auto-renewal after last Splatfest

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had no idea people hated Dualies that much.

Although, one of my main weapons is the Octobrush, which laughs in the face of their ineffective dodge rolls.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Good news: Random weapon Salmon Run on fantastic Polaris map

Bad news: I hate the Grizzco Slosher

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that's what I came here for

new Splatfest for next week and IT'S NOT PIKACHU VS EEVEE??

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Salsa all the way, we won't even have mass quantities of avocados in a couple decades so we may as well prepare for our disastrous future and embrace the less environmentally vulnerable option. It's weird, Marina had always seemed like the more environmentally conscious of the two

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Having not played Salmon Run in awhile my first game was awful. We lost in round 1. Next game, my controller died 30 seconds in. I raced to find my power cord, but it was too late. Lost again in round 1. Yikes. I'm sure people cursed my name on that one. The next three were better as we won all three. The new map is neat. Then.... lost in the first round again. High tide is tough. And it doesn't help when the game fails to register the splashdown trying to revive me. (I was long splatted, no idea why it did nothing...)

Enough of that. Time to try the new weapons. The hammer is fun, but doesn't seem to be all that effective. Until I cornered 3 players...
Drmdd4RU8AEgPh5.jpg

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, one person, in particular...

Ha ha

If you watch competitive players' streams, high level tournaments, and usage data, that while they don't hate them like I do, dualies are unquestionably the kings of the heap as the most solid weapon class and slayers in the game with some of the better kits.

I hate dualies for a few reasons:
- They benefit the most from Nintendo's latency filled online.
- They bypass the fundamental rules of the game (paint and turf control) with no clear drawback and until recently all but invalidated the shooter class of weapons.
And more than anything
- They reward and almost encourage bad habits and bad playstyles allowing them to survive and even win encounters they honestly should not. They encourage ignoring stage control, patience, or positioning in favor of dodge roll as much as you can as random as you can.

But I love how Splatoon does their updates. While I don't always agree with their choices, they often do something that I've always thought that other dev teams should do which was summed up succinctly by Vespher on patch night, "They're nerfing the Dualies without nerfing the dualies". I like nerfs to OP and dominating characters / weapons but what I think is really needed is to make the lesser used or weaker ones better. People gravitate to the high tiers because they have better tools and options so minor frame or damage nerfs don't make that much of a difference. Unless the lower tiers are actually made *better*, no one is going to consider them. Splatoon patches actively change properties and functions of weapons to make them better on top of typical frame and damage changes. Look at how much Missiles changed or beakons. With these recent patches, we're getting improved painting with changes to guns and new sub weapons that paint like fiends. We're improving mobility and improving sub weapons. The Splatoon devs are making it harder for the top tier dualies to do their top tier antics without nerfing them by making the other weapons *better*.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I FUCKING HATE that slosher. The thing runs through ink like crazy

My thoughts about the Grizzco slosher is its hard to use initially, because you have to get used to the idea that you're not supposed to use it like any of the other sloshers, where multiple swings against the same target is a great idea.

In most cases the ideal situation is use one or two sloshes for whatever you're talking and then leave it, because it'll kill a lot of things in one if you aim correctly. A few of the bosses don't follow that advice, obviously, but still,conservative inking is the name of the game with the grizzco slosher.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I know I catch flack for doing it but when that slosher is out (and to an extent the explosher) I end up taking out flyfish entirely instead of going for the cripple tech.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This Mist buff is so goddamn good! All over my face and into my tummy!

So has anyone else had the phantom teammate bug?

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know the devs are going to buff the hell out of the stamp since it's so terrible, but man I hope they wait a bit. I'm having way too much fun popping these guys trying their damnedest to make it work!

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what the odds of this happening is? It's at least 1 in 196, if you do (1/14) twice. But not all Grizzco gear comes with three slots filled in... I feel like you only get one of those maybe 1 out of 5 pieces of clothing. So maybe it was around 1 in 1000? I play a lot of Salmon, but guessing I haven't earned 1000 pieces of clothing already.

...Although actually maybe I have. Starting to question things now.

Anyway, I kinda like the way the Worker's Head Towel looks. It looks like a giant white pirate bandana or something.