• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Splatoon 2 |OT| HIGHTIDE ERA IS THE BEST

Oct 27, 2017
This Splatfest was a lot of fun with friends. The only bad thing was the Shifty Station sucked this time around. Thankfully it wasn't common in the rotation for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So friends won 2-1? Exactly what I expected. Demographics made the skill gap heavily favor friends (who’d typically be older than people who sided with family), but I knew family would win in popularity by a significant margin.

I went with family because I like participating in these Splatfests with my real opinion, but I still did my best!

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
For the Aerospray, I would grant this: it was a very solid pick when Baller was improved, and because Aerospray (and Sprinkler) had very good painting power it was able to make a lot of Ballers. The good times for it unfortunately didn't last long, so now Aerospray lost a lot of strengths as time went on, with Baller's loss of effectiveness and Aerospray's reduced painting, and eventually Sprinkler's reduced painting.

For the recent Splatfest, I would normally have picked "Family", but there are a few reasons I went with "Friends":
- It has whiter ink, which I missed out on during the Chicken vs Egg Splatfest
- That side has Marina, which was at that time on the losing side more often than not
- I recently bought a Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership to share with members on the forum I frequent, so to commemorate the occasion, I picked "Friends".

Although I lost a couple of x10 matches, I did won a x100 match, which felt fantastic! Even more fantastic is that I was using a weapon that I only used like the second time, the Kensa L-3, and managing to use the Ultra Stamp (which I don't have much experience with) very well.

Thank you for reading.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Don't be me. I'm already me and that's like three too many.
I mean, my disdain for the way splatfest is designed has been long running and well-documented since early in the first game, so I'm not exactly saying anything new here. It just happens that the second game has also brought with it an absolutely abysmal record in terms of me being on the winning side. It just makes me even less enthused than I already was, going in knowing that I'll be losing and missing out on snails regardless.

Yet I continue doing it anyway, so I guess I'm the fool here. It's just salt from an A+ ranked garbage pail, pay no mind.

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked this game up a couple of days ago, thanks to the eShop sale. I immediately turned motion controls off and spent the first few hours playing pretty poorly in multiplayer and doing ok in the offline stuff. But it didn’t feel that great to play. I also started playing during splatfest and was kind of confused about how to access all the multiplayer modes, and I just felt a little lost in general.

I looked around online and saw many people saying gyro controls are almost a must to be competitive, so I forced myself to play an awkward hour or two with them and got wrecked the whole time. Then all of a sudden it clicked and oh man does it feel good. My teams are winning a lot, and I’m often at the top or in second (not sure how the points are assigned yet).

After a couple of hours of not knowing if the game was for me I’ve definitely turned a corner and can see myself having a hard time putting this down.

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the Frosty Fest. I used so many weapons I hadn't used before, it was fun.
I voted for friends but was team fam in spirit.
Does somebody have the Splatfest results since the clout system was implemented? I'm still not a fan at all. Also, REMOVE MPU! I really hate it.

Kensa Jr has been getting nerfed.
What nerfs did it get?

and missing out on snails regardless.
I don't think it's a big deal. You miss 3 snails (21 vs 24) if you get to Queen/King, which is easily compensated by getting snaild when you level up.
I wonder if they will modify this once Splatfests are over. How did they give snails in Splatoon 1 after the last fest?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I have like 100 snails and I've used maybe 2 in my time in the game. Probably since I usually stick with turf war and don't have many clothes; I tend to buy out the weapons above anything else.
Do people really burn a lot through snails trying to get optimal skills in the upper modes?

Does somebody have the Splatfest results since the clout system was implemented? I'm still not a fan at all.
Code:
Retro 0 x 3 Modern

Tsubuan 0 x 3 Koshian

Trick 1 x 2 Treat

Salsa 3 x 0 Guac

Eat it 0 x 3 Save it

Hero 1 x 2 Villain

Pocky Chocolate 1 x 2 Pocky Gokuboso

Fam 1 x 2 Friends
I like the new system, way easier to play with frends and you don't even need a full team.

edit: fixed fam vs friends. Thanks Poltergust!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I don't think it's a big deal. You miss 3 snails (21 vs 24) if you get to Queen/King, which is easily compensated by getting snaild when you level up.
I wonder if they will modify this once Splatfests are over. How did they give snails in Splatoon 1 after the last fest?
Technically I guess the snails themselves don't matter as much to me in practice since I have somewhere around 180 of them at the moment and only one or two more gear sets I feel I need to fully finish building. Still as someone who always votes my actual preference, it wears on you being told for 11 out of 12 months of the year "your opinion was wrong."

Anyway, back to answering the question, in the first game after fests ended, you'd be given a free snail after every 30 wins. On the other hand, snails were less necessary to a point because all their effects could be performed for 30,000G instead. In Splatoon 2, you literally can't add slots or reroll without them (the latter just saving you the time of scrubbing and re-leveling a piece of gear).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Does somebody have the Splatfest results since the clout system was implemented? I'm still not a fan at all.
I feel like before clout system you could guess the winner pretty consistently based on popularity. The more popular team would have more scrubs and always lose. Clout system allows the game to balance the stats by throwing x100 games at teams that are playing well/poorly depending on how far off from center they are.

Bottom line is you can't predict it now because the system self balances with x100 matches. At least thats my theory.

Oct 26, 2017
I like the new system, way easier to play with frends and you don't even need a full team.
I LOVE the new matchmaking, it's specifically the clout system/points I dislike.

I feel like before clout system you could guess the winner pretty consistently based on popularity. The more popular team would have more scrubs and always lose. Clout system allows the game to balance the stats by throwing x100 games at teams that are playing well/poorly depending on how far off from center they are.
Bottom line is you can't predict it now because the system self balances with x100 matches. At least thats my theory.
I do think the unpredictability is a huge plus, but I also think the system (scoring clout/points) is a bit unfair.

Technically I guess the snails themselves don't matter as much to me in practice since I have somewhere around 180 of them at the moment and only one or two more gear sets I feel I need to fully finish building. Still as someone who always votes my actual preference, it wears on you being told for 11 out of 12 months of the year "your opinion was wrong."
While I understand the feeling (I can't say I haven't felt similar some times), at the end it's just a game and winning or losing the fest won't change a thing, it won't have any consequences to your rank and stuff. As long as it's fun to play and you continue to have fun, the rest shouldn't matter :)

Anyway, back to answering the question, in the first game after fests ended, you'd be given a free snail after every 30 wins. On the other hand, snails were less necessary to a point because all their effects could be performed for 30,000G instead. In Splatoon 2, you literally can't add slots or reroll without them (the latter just saving you the time of scrubbing and re-leveling a piece of gear).
Hopefully they make it faster (or easier) to get snails when the fests are over, cause once you reach level 99, it takes a while to level up.

Oct 27, 2017
What nerfs did it get?
Increased point requirement for special, 190 to 200
Reduced damage from Torpedo and ink requirement. Droplets deal 12 points down from 18 and needs 65% now after 60%. They deal double damage to Bubbles now so you can still do the instant bubble pop trick, but it isn't as reliable any more.
Reduced range of Bubble damage by 8%.
Reduced time Bubbles are active by 6 seconds. The English notes incorrectly say 6%, as the Japanese notes don't say "%" at all in the note and instead use the kanji, "秒" meaning "seconds".

The Splattershot Jr. didn't get any nerfs but the Kensa Jr kit itself was the target. It's still useful but not as reliable or consistent in what it used to do. Now people are running back to the Kensa Undercover.

Oct 26, 2017
Increased point requirement for special, 190 to 200
Reduced damage from Torpedo and ink requirement. Droplets deal 12 points down from 18 and needs 65% now after 60%. They deal double damage to Bubbles now so you can still do the instant bubble pop trick, but it isn't as reliable any more.
Reduced range of Bubble damage by 8%.
Reduced time Bubbles are active by 6 seconds. The English notes incorrectly say 6%, as the Japanese notes don't say "%" at all in the note and instead use the kanji, "秒" meaning "seconds".

The Splattershot Jr. didn't get any nerfs but the Kensa Jr kit itself was the target. It's still useful but not as reliable or consistent in what it used to do. Now people are running back to the Kensa Undercover.
Thanks! Now that you mention it, I do have seen more people using the Kensa Undercover (and the Bloblobber).

Dec 30, 2018
Anybody fancy a game? I am level 9 and fairly new but consider myself to be quite good, I normally finish top most games. Would love to get some friends to play with on a regular basis.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao! I just got to play against professional angry gamer putz12 (headphone warning) and he's just as bad as these clips look.

Does nothing but yolo runs face first at the Rainmaker all the time, dies 12+ times with only 5 kills, makes no effort to paint turf or support, and is amazed that his team isn't in any position to support him during these yolo runs. And the rage...oh lord the rage. I wanted to see if he was streaming and sure enough he was so I could watch the replay of our game from his view and....dang man, the foaming anger at teammates for not being omniscient robots.

If you ever worry you have a salt or anger problem when playing games, watch some of this guy and be relieved. I shouldn't take so much enjoyment from seeing someone rage so hard from me and my team but...

Stop getting mad at video games, friends. Frustration, sure, but if you ever get close to *that*...take a break.

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I've gotten back to more Ranked battles, and it's just as intense (and sometimes frustrating) as I remembered it being. I only had a minor bit of progress though: Now I am at S+7 in Tower Control, but I am still stuck in S+5 in Rainmaker and S+3 in Clam Blitz. Splat Zones is still kind of in limbo though, as I can't seem to stay in X rank for long. Currently having a 1971 rating, so who knows how long it will stay that way.

One ability that I am liking a bit is Thermal Ink, mainly for the Slosher because I felt that its range is suitable for the tracking properties of this ability, and unlike the Blasters and Sloshing Machine, every attack from it tracks the opponent. I don't know about you all, but I felt like tracking makes life easier for me in matchups, which is why I like tracking opponents. It was pretty effective when I used it in Tower Control, but it's a toss-up for Rainmaker but it's still not too bad I suppose. This is mainly the gear I used (Pullover Coat) for Thermal Ink, now that Toni Kensa has a Main Power Up affinity (currently got 2 subs of MPU and 1 Quick Super Jump. Not bad!):

Thank you for reading.

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for someone having connection issues despite being connected by Ethernet? It’s nearly impossible for me to maintain 400+ in Salmon Run anymore being I am disconnecting over 5 times every session. I’ve tried checking the speeds and they’re fine.

My PS4 and PC don’t give me this problem and they’re connected wirelessly and not even on the same story as the router. Even when I play ARMS wirelessly on the story about the router it’s fine. The issue seems isolated to Splatoon 2 regardless of how the connection is established which is just incredibly frustrating. This sucks because I really love this game, but the issues just make playing it so hit-or-miss and I sometimes end being completely frustrated by something I seemingly can’t control.

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for someone having connection issues despite being connected by Ethernet? It’s nearly impossible for me to maintain 400+ in Salmon Run anymore being I am disconnecting over 5 times every session. I’ve tried checking the speeds and they’re fine.

My PS4 and PC don’t give me this problem and they’re connected wirelessly and not even on the same story as the router. Even when I play ARMS wirelessly on the story about the router it’s fine. The issue seems isolated to Splatoon 2 regardless of how the connection is established which is just incredibly frustrating. This sucks because I really love this game, but the issues just make playing it so hit-or-miss and I sometimes end being completely frustrated by something I seemingly can’t control.
When you do a connection test, what's your NAT type? Should be A.

Also you should set your MTU in the Switch to 1500.

I did those things and also went into my router's settings to put the Switch in the DMZ and that's optimized my Splatoon online. I only get the rare connection issue during Splatfests, but that's a clusterfuck no matter what.

Smash Ultimate online on the other hand is a trash fire no matter what I do.

NAT B is fine too. You can only get NAT A through DMZ or if, somehow, your connection doesn't go through a router. Even proper port-forwarding will get you to B at best (afaik).
Beyond those, the shitshow beings.

Either way, with no dedicated servers, even if you have perfect connection your experience will be ruined by others if they have poor connection.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I played in the most recent Splatfest and it was the first time I played since August I think.

Noticed a few changes and was a little confused, so clearly I'm late to the party on some updates.

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't manipulate the lobby song anymore when I was waiting for a match to start. Was this only because of the Splatfest or is that a permanent change?

Oct 26, 2017
So I played in the most recent Splatfest and it was the first time I played since August I think.

Noticed a few changes and was a little confused, so clearly I'm late to the party on some updates.

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't manipulate the lobby song anymore when I was waiting for a match to start. Was this only because of the Splatfest or is that a permanent change?
You still can change the beat in the lobby while you wait for a match to start. I never noticed this not being the case during Splatfests, tho. Are you sure?

Oct 26, 2017
When you do a connection test, what's your NAT type? Should be A.

Also you should set your MTU in the Switch to 1500.

I did those things and also went into my router's settings to put the Switch in the DMZ and that's optimized my Splatoon online. I only get the rare connection issue during Splatfests, but that's a clusterfuck no matter what.

Smash Ultimate online on the other hand is a trash fire no matter what I do.
Yeah, it’s A. I’ll change MTU to 1500 and see if that helps. Thank you!

Edit: Doesn’t seem to make any difference, unfortunately. :/

Last edited: