• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Double post because who's gonna stop me!? Stamp continues to be trash garbage but getting those throw kills is a thing of beauty.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Nope got nothing new to report in the land of the squid sadly. Would be nice to have something fun to share xD

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Chargers are soooo satisfying and yet frustrating.

kTb4f52.jpg

Sometimes I get these lucky shots and this is how I feel :P
Any charger tips?

Last edited:

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks magnet for your remarks about the bubbles.. I've been experimenting with it over the last few days and I was definitely dying due to my lack of ink awareness and positioning.

Anyways, I just had a wild double DC match! We were losing and 2 of my teammates DC'd and I was like eh let them have it, but the other guy kept pushing and called 'this way' and then I realized; oh, they also have 2 DCs! This is very doable LET'S GO MATE!! We had a kensa jr and a charger, while they had a blahblobber and splattershot pro. The odds were against us as they had a great lead but we actually won the match! It was a surreal moment and more entertaining than a typical 3v4. It's ironic to say, but we won because we had this miraculous double DC lol.

I just wanna say kudos to the guy called "plz carry" whoever they may be.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
My 5 year old has been playing a half an hour of this every other day the past week. First time I've seen him have a strong desire to play a game. I'm going to keep the time to a minimum but he was really interested in learning the diff controls and switching weapons.

It seems to be making his lil brain tick and he seems to enjoy the actual painting the level, so I'm going to not think it's too mature for him. No voice chat obviously.

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017
Just how bad does your teammates have to be to lose a 3v4 when the other team has a freaking aerospray! We had so many opportunities to KO the other team but the rm user was just dancing around aimlessly.. they even gave them a free 99 count lead! I didn't even get mad at what happened.. it was just so sad...

On the other hand, game finally decided to be kind to me and gave me lots of points on rainmaker. Now I have every mode at an average of ~2200 power, which is not great, but it is a decent improvement for me considering I was stuck in the sub 2100 most of the time last month.

4 more days until the reset.. I'm so sick of these awful maps :<

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just how bad does your teammates have to be to lose a 3v4 when the other team has a freaking aerospray! We had so many opportunities to KO the other team but the rm user was just dancing around aimlessly.. they even gave them a free 99 count lead! I didn't even get mad at what happened.. it was just so sad...

On the other hand, game finally decided to be kind to me and gave me lots of points on rainmaker. Now I have every mode at an average of ~2200 power, which is not great, but it is a decent improvement for me considering I was stuck in the sub 2100 most of the time last month.

4 more days until the reset.. I'm so sick of these awful maps :<

"Not great" lol

Just being X in all modes is a huge achievement, over 2200 is amazing.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching winners finals on inktvsplat

they did so smart by making reef two smaller zones. one of the best splat zones maps now

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
March stage rotations posted:

We're not gonna see Kelp Dome's changes until June. Jesus.

Also a balance patch is planned for mid March, but no details. This update will not include the Sheldon's Picks weapons so I guess we're not getting some until April?

I am very anxious about this patch because the Kensa Sloshing and Exploshers are running RAMPANT right now. No matter what happens, the Fizzy Bomb must be nerfed. This is not a question. It does everything the Splat Bomb, Suction Bomb, and Curling Bomb do, does what they do better, and for 10% less ink. It is disgusting how good it is right now.

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017
^ and that's why it needs to be nerfed hard lol.. both the machine and the fizzy.
Add Splattershot Pro to the list.. it's basically become the new ballpoint and every other match has at least 2-4 people using it with tons of MPU.. they're really drooling over that 99.9 damage it's so disgusting. I really hate MPU, it's made this game more broken than ever.. I just wonder what devs had in mind when they thought increased damage would be a good idea to the game's already messed up balance.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
^ and that's why it needs to be nerfed hard lol.. both the machine and the fizzy.
Add Splattershot Pro to the list.. it's basically become the new ballpoint and every other match has at least 2-4 people using it with tons of MPU.. they're really drooling over that 99.9 damage it's so disgusting. I really hate MPU, it's made this game more broken than ever.. I just wonder what devs had in mind when they thought increased damage would be a good idea to the game's already messed up balance.
While I do share your hate for MPU, I don't think the Splattershot Pro needs nerfing. They probably will do something about it, tho, they have nerfed all my faves/mains.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think a massive part of the players has moved on from the game?

I mean, i'm getting 2360 in X rank while before MPU and Smash and stuff i barely got to 2100... and i don't feel i've gotten better at all.

I thought MPU would have changed the meta a lot more, tbh.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, i'm getting 2360 in X rank while before MPU and Smash and stuff i barely got to 2100... and i don't feel i've gotten better at all.

I have noticed A LOT of new people since December, so maybe it's a mix of some people leaving or not playing as much + the pool just got bigger. I used to have lots of matches with full teams of starred people, nowadays there are only a couple of squids with stars.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think MPU has led to a lot of people playing less, along with the end of substantial new content. I've definitely been playing less because it feels like ttk is much shorter, even if statistically it isn't really. That being said I can't be bothered to actually focus on it so it's not like I'm taking advantage of it either.

Oddly enough I managed to derank this time in Clam Blitz which is the first time that's happened since I got into x last summer, so it might just be that I've not playing as well too. The game is still selling well though so there's a good amount of fresh blood circulating in, but I agree it seems like numbers are falling, which isn't necessarily a horrible thing in its own right

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have noticed A LOT of new people since December, so maybe it's a mix of some people leaving or not playing as much + the pool just got bigger. I used to have lots of matches with full teams of starred people, nowadays there are only a couple of squids with stars.

Yesterday i got my first star and i was so happy. Ofc it's bullshit because it was the first rotation after the reset but still...

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
It isnt easier to get a higher X rank because of a lower playerbase. It is the opposite: More and more players have grinded to X and a lot of them honestly dont belong there.

Like I ended Jan with 2000.1 at zones and had a rank of about 30k, but apparently well below that rating people had ranks of like 40k. Since 2000 is the cutoff, that means about a fourth of X rank zone players in January failed to make the cut for next month.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Main Power Up was a neat idea with making weapon-unique buffs, however they didn't come up with hardly any abilities so anything that didn't get Damage Up aside from the Splatlings saw no reason to use it. Any other weapon needed so much MPU to see any meaningful effect it isn't worth it, and the alternative buffs were trivial to begin with. The closest runner up would be Jet Squelcher getting increased accuracy but with the longer range means it takes longer for your shots to reach and they deal less damage the further they fly. What MPU *should* have done was increase paint ability only across the board or reduce damage drop off.

The current meta has taken a sharp turn to slaying rather than painting, even more so than usual. MPU is making weapons kill faster so in response people are running MPU to keep up or use weapons that can attack at range or from positions that leave them safe from counterattacks. The solution people have found are the Kensa Pro (Booyah Bomb being blessed with buffs was the clincher) with its long range, decent accuracy, and high kill power, the Exploshers because they can throw globs of ink from the opposite end of the stage and build specials incredibly quick, and the current king the Kensa Sloshing thanks to its insanely aggressive kit specializing in AOE attacks that can kill in even two indirects, all while bypassing the majority of the stage terrain. Along with the weaker painting ability across the roster with Splat 2 compared to Splat 1, it was already an ordeal surviving encounters or outmaneuvering the high kill / low paint weapons. Now it's even harder to survive and there isn't much point to painting when you'll die in three or two shots and lose whatever position you had, while giving your killer special to be even more aggressive.

MPU is one of the worst things to happen to the game. It's made existing problems worse and made it harder for any weapon that didn't get Damage Up to compete, and it was an uphill battle for most of them to begin with. And all of it is because the devs shit the bed so hard with the Point Sensor / Cold-Blooded relationship they scrapped the ability entirely and needed SOMETHING to fill in the gap to cover their ass.

And I don't see how any simple balance patch of "increase ink consumption by 5%" and the like is going to fix it. I love this series but I fucking hate how the devs have the mentality of "throw shit at the playerbase and see what happens. We'll duck tape whatever breaks with patches later".

Last edited:

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Many games have been guilty of introducing something that killed my passion for them for the sake of change. It's gone that way with this and MPU. Hopefully the update will help but a better update would be 'we screwed up and are removing MPU completely'.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it used to be like that to me too when it first released but now i'm not that bothered about MPU...

And i say that when my main is objectively one of the worst weapons in the game (normal inkbrush). But i still managed to get X in every mode and maintain it since june2018.

Kensa sloshing machine is too much though. Great paint area coverage and strong shots, and fizzy bombs... needs a nerf.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
One of the best moves the dev team made when moving from the first Splatoon over to S2 was the removal of the damage up / defense up mechanic. It's always been something that made encounters feel really inconsistent and clearly benefitted certain weapons more than others. So now it's back, and even more selective than ever with which weapons it helps. Great.

As for the player base, I wouldn't be surprised about it dipping for a number of reasons. Not just MPU or other balance gripes, but knowing that the content rollout is largely done with aside from a few kit remixes, and...well, a lot of time has passed since launch. Smash came out. The Switch in general has a lot of stuff worth playing so continuing to pour tona of time into any one game becomes a tougher prospect. It's part of what makes the question of whether we'll see a Splatoon 3 on the Switch any time soon an interesting one to consider.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
One of the best moves the dev team made when moving from the first Splatoon over to S2 was the removal of the damage up / defense up mechanic. It's always been something that made encounters feel really inconsistent and clearly benefitted certain weapons more than others. So now it's back, and even more selective than ever with which weapons it helps. Great.

As for the player base, I wouldn't be surprised about it dipping for a number of reasons. Not just MPU or other balance gripes, but knowing that the content rollout is largely done with aside from a few kit remixes, and...well, a lot of time has passed since launch. Smash came out. The Switch in general has a lot of stuff worth playing so continuing to pour tona of time into any one game becomes a tougher prospect. It's part of what makes the question of whether we'll see a Splatoon 3 on the Switch any time soon an interesting one to consider.
Splatoon 3 has to be coming to Switch. It wasn't long after splat fests ended on the first game before we learned of S2. The story even played off the last splat fest. Switch has at least 3 strong years ahead and will live for another 5-7. There are still some major features Splatoon needs:

cloud/server save backup
4 player split screen
4 player story campaign

I don't want them to split the player base with exclusive maps or special weapons, but to me Splatoon should feel like GaaS where they just keep adding on new stuff forever. There should never be a gap longer than 3 months where theres not a splat fest, new content, or a whole new game being released. If Splatoon 3 is 2020 I hope we know about it right after the last splat fest. If they want 4 player split screen they might need stronger hardware than Switch though.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I resent every single vanilla Jet Squelcher for doing nothing all game but building tenta missiles.

I don't give a fuck if you got 12 off. They don't help even 1/16 as much as you think they do.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Way earlier than I thought, but finally the patch we've been needing to deal with the overpowered menace that is...THE BRELLA!? All notes related to the Brella shield are just for the Splatbrella, Splatbrella Sorella, and Hero Brella Replica.

Sploosh o matic / Splattershot Jr / Aerospray
+After firing, ink recovery will begin 5 frames faster
(makes me wonder if you can throw a bomb that has a long time before recovery, shoot one shot, and then use the shot's recovery buff to bypass the earlier bomb's slowdown)

Aerospray
+Increased rate of ink spray at user's feet

52 Gal
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 21%
+Increased damage to Splash Shield by 10%

96 Gal
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 57%

Nova Blaster
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 64%

Rapid Blaster / Pro (FUCK THE FUCK OUT OF THIS!! FUCK YOU DEVS!!!!!)
+In addition to current effects, Main Power Up will now increase the blast radius of explosions
*Max effect achieved with 2.9 gear power (1 main = 1 point, 1 sub = 0.3 points)

Squeezer (The most amount of patches at once that all do jack fuck all to fix its problems. Astounding)
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 57%
+Increased damage to Baller by 17%
+Increased damage to Booyah Bomb user's Ink Armor by 17%
+Increased damage to Rainmaker shield by 10%

Carbon Roller
+After a normal swing, time to turn into a squid or use a subweapon reduced by 2 frames
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 13%

Splat Roller / Flingza Roller
+Increased damage to Brella shield by 13%

Goo Tuber (Because this was the problem...)
+When holding a charge and emerging from ink, you can now cancel the "pop up" animation with ZL and immediately go back to hiding in ink

Tri-Slosher
+The center spray of ink now paints in a more forward direction

Mini Splatling
+Increased jump height when holding a full charge
+Increased movement speed while charging by 3%
+Increased movement speed when firing by 8%

H3 Nozzlenose
-Reduced effect of Main Power Up
*To deal 49.9 damage, you need 4.2 gear ability (1 main = 1 point, 1 sub = 0.3 points)

Bamboozler
-Reduced damage to Brella shield by 20%
-Reduced damage to Splash Shield by 20%
-Reduced damage to Baller by 38%
-Reduced damage to Booyah Bomb user's Ink Armor by 31%

Sloshing Machine (I was joking about the ink usage nerf..........because that doesn't fix the problem.........)
-Increased ink consumption by 20%
-Reduced hit box of indirect hits by 6% (SO KIND AND GENEROUS OUR HEROIC DEVS)

Explosher
-Increased ink consumption by 30%
-Reduced damage radius on explosion by 7%

Autobomb
+After use, time until ink recovery reduced by 15 frames

Point Sensor (This'll stop the Point Sensor's reign of terror. Wait, what?)
+Reduced ink consumption from 55% to 45%
-Reduced throw speed and throw distance
*Without the use of Sub Power Up, throw speed reduced by 8%
*With max amount of Sub Power Up, throw speed reduced by 2%
-Reduced effect of Ink Saver Sub by 8%

Sprinkler
+After placing, time before sprinkler starts spraying ink reduced by 30 frames
+Amount of ink placed by the Spinkler itself when it hits the surface increased by x2.5

Fizzy Bomb (And that's the breaking point for me)
-Damage radius of 2nd and 3rd explosions reduced by 6%

Ink Storm
-Radius of storm reduced by 6%

Bomb Defense DX
+Improved Point Sensor counter effect with less abilities equipped.

Special Point changes
+Splattershot Jr Custom 170 - 160
+Kensa Nova Blaster 180 - 170
+Kensa Glooga Dualies 190 - 180
-Kensa Splattershot Pro 180 - 200
-H3 Nozzlenose D 210 - 220
-Explosher Custom 200 - 210
-Hydra Custom 190 - 200

Why will they not nerf the Fizzy Bomb's ink cost? It basically does what the Splash, Suction, and Curling Bombs all do, does it better, AND for 10% less ink. But take that Splatbrella, you bitch? What the fuck man. Who cares about Brellas? And I think this confirms that the devs have never used the Ultra Stamp in their life if they think it's anything more than abysmal. The Point Sensor nerfs are hilarious to me since it was done not because it suddenly became great (because it sure as shit ain't) but because it was on the Explosher Custom's kit and no other reason.

And with that, I think I'm done with Splat 2. I won't say something crazy like I won't get Splat 3, but I'm looking forward to it for what they fix instead of what they add. Because this is a mess right now and looking at this patch I don't think things are going to get better. Like one of the major problems with the game is AOE attacks are super good because they leave ink that make it really hard to escape, which is why Sloshing Machines' massive damage and the speed that Fizzy Bombs come out make them so strong. Like a Sloshing Machine needs a direct and an indirect to kill. That's nuts. It should be two directs to kill and one direct w/ two indirects. But now that Rapid Blasters are getting increased blast range with Main Power Up, guess where you're going to be dying from? 5 feet around walls and any type of cover, that's where. Hell, they might be able to clip your head by shooting over walls now. I was kind of reaching my point in December but Smash Ultimate's online is so goddamn atrocious I came back. But, yeah, I think this is it for me this time.

EDIT: Fixed mistranslation on Bamboozler, Sprinkler, and Explosher. I kind of went on auto pilot after seeing the same style of patch changes regarding brella shield and Splash Shield and such. Did not realize it actually REDUCED Bamboozler's damage on all points.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why in god's name would they buff rapid blasters explosion range?
I *think* the idea is they want the Rapid Blaster to counter the Kensa Pro as they have similar ranges which may be why Kensa Pro didn't get a significant nerf despite being one of the unholy trinity weapons right now. Problem is it's going to exacerbate what we have already with players dying too fast to actually accomplish anything. Thankfully they don't paint as well, but that's going to create an atmosphere of all or nothing situations. You'll have to matrix dodge your way past the giant explosions just to not die, let alone win an exchange.

Fuck Main Power Up and fuck whoever came up with it.

Last edited:

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not comfortable with Splatfest being used as a sales tactic for Amiibo. Not least because I'm considering falling for it just to wear that costume for 24 hours...

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I've been saying this since the notes first dropped late last night, but I really fear that the MPU buff for Rapids, combined with the Sloshing Machine nerfs and the lack of torpedo nerfs means that we're about to see a big rise in Kensa Rapid Blaster use. Throw some MPU and some sub saver on and just AoE the hell out of absolutely everything. Otherwise, the changes to the stuff I personally use are pretty minimal if anything. Still no mention of the Sheldon's Picks weapons though, which seems like a curious omission to me among all this other news. Are they not coming with the patch? Waiting until the April ranked turnover, I guess?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Rapid Blaster / Pro (FUCK THE FUCK OUT OF THIS!! FUCK YOU DEVS!!!!!)
+In addition to current effects, Main Power Up will now increase the blast radius of explosions
*Max effect achieved with 2.9 gear power (1 main = 1 point, 1 sub = 0.3 points)

Sloshing Machine (I was joking about the ink usage nerf..........because that doesn't fix the problem.........)
-Increased ink consumption by 20%
-Reduced hit box of indirect hits by 6% (SO KIND AND GENEROUS OUR HEROIC DEVS)

Point Sensor (This'll stop the Point Sensor's reign of terror. Wait, what?)
+Reduced ink consumption from 55% to 45%
-Reduced throw speed and throw distance
*Without the use of Sub Power Up, throw speed reduced by 8%
*With max amount of Sub Power Up, throw speed reduced by 2%
-Reduced effect of Ink Saver Sub by 8%

Ink Storm
-Radius of storm reduced by 6%

...The Point Sensor nerfs are hilarious to me since it was done not because it suddenly became great (because it sure as shit ain't) but because it was on the Explosher Custom's kit and no other reason.

FUCK THOSE CHANGES!
I'm all for nerfing the Explosher, but I use weapons with point sensor and that's not fair to a sub that wasn't great already.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf why would they nerf the machine more than the fizzies, the machine was never the problem. Man what an awful set of changes, it's funny how they've gotten worse and worse at balancing the longer the game has been out. You would think they would have learned over the life of the game

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a student who's school mascot are the knights but I'm also a wizard at Universal...

How tf am I supposed to decide in this next Splatfest?

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
MPU on rapid isn't anything game changing which is probably a good thing. Everything else was just meh.

*though I will say I wonder how much the drop off will be for folks who play explosher. That nerf was no joke.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday i probably made my best move ever avoiding 2 snipers on range while holding the rainmaker, and managing to cross that entire bridge in Camp, winning the match. Holy shit that was good but i had no space left for videos :(

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The patch didn't really do anything severe to the weapons I already most use, so last night playing was primarily more of the same.

I will say though, while on patch night people in the discord server were mostly dunking on the sprinkler "buff" mainly being on the ink-splatter where the unit lands, that change is something I actually find myself appreciating more than I thought I might. I use the .96 Gal and Heavy Splatling which both have sprinkler, and while the buff doesn't do much for having it actually spread ink, for weapons like these that don't really ink quickly otherwise, having access to that larger sprinkler puddle makes the sub more useful in facilitating quick escapes from dangerous situations and giving some instant mobility. I don't know if that was really the intent behind the change, but it's a nice little QoL thing for sprinklers that I specifically noticed a couple of times in just a few matches.

I'm still generally trash at the game though, no patch can account for that. :(

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
So I've been grinding for chunks for a while, and I'm curious if I'm using my time most efficiently. Do you guys think you can get the chunks you want faster by rewards from the Salmon Run, drink power ups with the specific power, or the exp boost power to allow you to get 3 chunks on gear?

I feel like the drink power up might be the best marginally, but I feel like I often get the wrong power. Over time, I feel like the exp boost that lets you fill up gear quickly gives you the best likelihood of acquiring the chunks you want.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Drink tickets + appropriate clothing brand is WAY faster than doing Salmon Run.

Drinks and brands don't stack from what I remember, so running the right brand with a +50% xp snack and running whatever brand with the right drink are about equally effective but both are less fast than wearing the right gear with a +100% or +150% xp buff active and then scrubbing the slots. Of course supply of drink and snack tickets isn't unlimited, so you'll end up using both.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Drinks and brands don't stack from what I remember, so running the right brand with a +50% xp snack and running whatever brand with the right drink are about equally effective but both are less fast than wearing the right gear with a +100% or +150% xp buff active and then scrubbing the slots. Of course supply of drink and snack tickets isn't unlimited, so you'll end up using both.
Oh, it seems that drink ticket + gear do not stack indeed.
But food/meal tickets only affect your level exp, not your gear exp, so you gain nothing from a meal ticket either :P

So, to answer aggrocrog, the faster way to grind chunks is:
Scrub specific brand (the least stars, the better) ≥ Drink ticket + any brand >>>> Salmon Run

Last edited: