• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017

#TeamCallie
I replayed the final boss fight from the main campaign last night and it just reaffirmed Callie > Marie for me :P

Is Li'l Judd missing or am I just blind?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Smol Judd is on Chaos, eating DJ Octavio.

Really cool to see the motivations for the team each one choose. We probably won't get for all of them, but lore is lore.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Looking at that illustration again, there are some interesting alignments.

For example, I think that's supposed to be Agent 3 in the Order side and Agent 4 over in Chaos.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like that Callie's motivation is just "aren't you tired of being nice? don't you just wanna go apeshit?"

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
After spending two months in Rank X, I can't shake the feeling that the matchmaking up there is seriously busted. Twice I deranked to S+9 and immediately climbed back up on a win streak, but with how big the skill gap is between 2000 and 2500+ win or loss seems to depend as much on luck of the draw as on my own perfomance.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After spending two months in Rank X, I can't shake the feeling that the matchmaking up there is seriously busted. Twice I deranked to S+9 and immediately climbed back up on a win streak, but with how big the skill gap is between 2000 and 2500+ win or loss seems to depend as much on luck of the draw as on my own perfomance.

I agree.

If anything the way it calculates how much points you earn each match is fucking busted. Many times i've earned +0 points after winning against really high skill players, and then next match i lose -25 out of the blue.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love the first of the month since I get a crown for a few precious hours. "Yeah, I'm rank 32, I'm huge."

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This is what chaos brings
4103055144_3c50b3aec4_b.jpg

TEAM ORDER

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I like how slowly the plaza is getting more ready for the splatfest. Especially with the stickers everywhere.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
What's the worst Salmon Run map and why is it Spawning Grounds? Discuss.

I like how slowly the plaza is getting more ready for the splatfest. Especially with the stickers everywhere.
I'm going to miss the themed drawings. They are good and hilarious. Most of the current memes are still funny, tho :P

Last edited:

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly this. It's a "grind of luck".

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Hey guys, I have a question about online. My partner has recently started playing Splatoon 2 on their own profile on the switch and they want to try playing online. I have the individual online subscription attached to my profile, so when they try to play in the lobbies it wants them to link to a Nintendo account.

Is my only option to change to the family plan and add them to that? Seems weird to have to do that if it's just one console (multiple consoles I totally understand, but we just have one that we share)

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The Final Fest shirts went up on the one single day of my vacation I wasn't on my phone. I'm absolutely devastated that I missed them.

Toadsili T

Oct 26, 2017
With Final Fest coming up, now is probably the best time to push out our shiny new Discord server invite link. We have roles available for both teams so you can find fellow Chaos/Order people to play with during Splatfest.

Should be revealed if you have replied to this thread; otherwise DM me.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
EDIT2: Changed Hiding parameters (again) since I forgot how this stuff works

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having four maps in each rotation is so nice, they should always do this for splatfests in the future

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These point control maps are kinda dope.

Has anyone noticed that you can't change the music pitch by mashing random buttons in the lobby anymore? That kinda blows. (Or is it always like that for Splatfests?)

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
I've played so little Splatoon 2 that I'm not sure what the difference is between Splatfest and Pro, except that I've got a 100% win rate in Pro and 100% loss in Standard lmao

shouldn't have crowed about it, immediately lost a game

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
The ink is gorgeous and hearing Splatoon 1 music really pumped me up. I'm also loving the 4 stages rotation. I wish they would allow at least 3 maps in turf wars for the 5.0 update.
Team Chaos is definitely the popular one. There was a 40 minutes period earlier where we only got mirror matches against other Chaos teams. It was frustrating :/

MyHAYwD.jpg

While I did more than 50 battles, we only lost to team Order 5 times (the rest of our defeats were in mirror fights). So, I'm feeling very confident for team Chaos.

Still not a single 100x battle 🙁, but I participated in three 10x ones (won two of them).

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Still debating which side to pick. I love Marina, but I want a burning Inkopolis next game.

That aside, any recommendations for a dualie build?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the battles I had today, I had one win and only loses. So many disconnects...

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still debating which side to pick. I love Marina, but I want a burning Inkopolis next game.

That aside, any recommendations for a dualie build?
In order of priority
Main Power Up
Ink Resistance
Maybe ink Saver Main

Followed by something exclusive like stealth jump, comeback or last ditch effort. Do NOT be like those nitwit dualies that use drop roller when they can do that by default.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
In order of priority
Main Power Up
Ink Resistance
Maybe ink Saver Main

Followed by something exclusive like stealth jump, comeback or last ditch effort. Do NOT be like those nitwit dualies that use drop roller when they can do that by default.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind--thanks for the update!

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I wavered in my support of Pearl, but then I came upon the stage of the final battle and lo I heard the heavenly wail, sounding like the trumpets of Jericho before it, and I saw the crumpled walls and the new world beyond. Now all doubt is gone and only faith remains. The Voice To End All Voices is the ink of my life forever and always.

(The Killer Wail is so much more hype than Marina's hyperbombs)

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wavered in my support of Pearl, but then I came upon the stage of the final battle and lo I heard the heavenly wail, sounding like the trumpets of Jericho before it, and I saw the crumpled walls and the new world beyond. Now all doubt is gone and only faith remains. The Voice To End All Voices is the ink of my life forever and always.
Neat!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason, I got most of the 10x in previous fests, but this time, I can't win a 100x battle to save my life. It's bizarre :(

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now the next story mode's going to be Borderlands. Damnit.

The plus side of them going chaotic or apocalyptic would be we could get some cool redesigns of past stages. Like imagine a more broken-down version of Arowana Mall or Musselforge Fitness. I wouldn't want them to do it for all stages, but if Chaos wanted to wreck a few old stages, I'd be down for it.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only if there is any justice left in the world.

I thought 5.0 was coming out when the Fest ended but I guess it's later this week?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
And two, Turf War is the absolute worst mode in Splatoon, flat out and always has been. Because it almost always all comes down to the last 40 seconds with those first two minutes for the vast majority of games utterly pointless. The time to die, respawn, and then get back to the action takes a while, let alone take out targets and recover turf so any deaths during the last 40 seconds are literally fatal. There was a Shifty Station with domes that would close off after a certain amount of time and it's FANTASTIC because of it. It had focus and it gave teams permanent benefits throughout the game time. If Turf War can worm its way into competitive now that the Shifty Stations will be added to private games, that stage will 1000% be on the list, maybe even as the only stage.

TL;DR: What I want Splatoon 3 to do with Fests is make Normal and Pro actually for casuals and ranked mode players. Normal can be Turf War and Pro can be Splat Zones. I think that would help solve the two problems with Splatfests of inexperienced players being pitted against higher level players and would reduce the shenanigans inherit with an unbalanced mode like Turf War being the primary decider.

Replying here instead of the Splatfest thread cause that one is too focused on the result.

Turf wars is my favorite/preferred mode, but I do agree with most (not all :P) of what you say. The last 30ish seconds are the most crucial. The battles I lost during the fest, were lost because those seconds became basically 1-2 vs 3-4 fights (after been in complete control the first 2 minutes).
The best Shitfy Stations were the ones that somehow tried (accidentally?) to fix that with their gimmick, like restricting access or guarding areas:

So hopefully the level design in Splatoon 3 is up to that standard and they do something about this issue.
What sources would you recommend to read/watch/learn advanced techniques and weapon counters?

Last edited:

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Turf War is the basis for basically all the ranked modes and no it is not the worst mode, that would still be Clams lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So hopefully the level design in Splatoon 3 is up to that standard and they do something about this issue.
What sources would you recommend to read/watch/learn advanced techniques and weapon counters?

On the one hand, since Turf War is so silly, I can't really get mad about losing it. Sure it's frustrating to lose, but It's like getting mad at a coin flip. On the other hand, I'd really like there to be more substance and variety to special events that get so much attention like the Splatfests.

A lot of pro players stream regularly like Dude, Sendou, and Vesper on Twitch.tv. Dude does answer questions on stream but it is better to just tweet him or watch his Youtube videos. There's also a lot of Japanese players that stream and post videos to Youtube daily and while they do give advice you can get the idea from watching them play.

But specific weapon counters? That's just something players have to learn on their own and Ranked mode will do that with longer game times and more people using high tier weapons more often. I've complained about Dualies for so long because they're everywhere and take too much advantage of Nintendo's potato online. Fight them so long and so consistently you can't help but eventually learn how to read them. Same with Rollers and Chargers. I still remember when the Splatoon 1 demo came out and people thought the roller was the most OP weapon.

Honestly it's about learning fundamentals that help more than anything. Knowing to wait and observe, stop super jumping all the time, not rushing in like you're a superhero, saving special, not using up all your ink on nothing, not giving up advantageous position and learning that it is OK to back off. I talked shit about Aerospray and Brushes a lot because the people using them during Splatfests / Turf War aren't using them correctly and hurt the team for it. The players do the same thing with both weapons and treat them like aggressive shooters when they absolutely are not. Aerospray is a high paint, high mobility weapon so it should be used to paint turf to allow your aggressive weapon teammates ink to move in but instead the Aerosprays I see rush in and get killed by everything under the sun while their galaxy brain strat is build Curling Bomb Rush and walk along side making them completely vulnerable instead of letting the ink and bombs do the work for them. Brushes should be used for disruption and diversions taking advantage of their high speed without needing paint to move, instead I see brush users fling fling fling, swim to the edge of their ink, fling fling fling, and repeat like it's a gun.

Because of the chaotic and unfocused nature of Turf War, I think it's harder for players to learn things of actual substance while in Ranked modes that have objectives, you have to learn through observation and adaptation or you get washed. It's like in Smash Bros Brawl when I went online. I felt I was pretty good at the series but when I got into games without items and without stage hazards, I realized how little I actually knew about the game and the characters I used. Once I had to rely solely on my characters' innate abilities that was when I really began to learn the game and enjoy it on a different level that appealed to me a lot more. And that's carried over to 4 and Ultimate. And it's why every Splatoon Tournament that isn't hosted by Nintendo rarely if ever feature Turf War.

Turf War is the basis for basically all the ranked modes and no it is not the worst mode, that would still be Clams lol.
Clams is still pretty terrible, but I'm enjoying it more by focusing on backline and popping people rushing the choke point. But even then it being better than Turf is like by 0.00001% XD

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some updates about 5.0, but no date. Just late July.

There will be a new piece of gear added, the Splat Fest Tee Replica. It will have the Ability Doubler ability and the shirt color will change to match your team's color for the game.

But the real surprise is finally, another stage remodel is coming.

Coming 7/31 Japan time (so 7/30 for North American players; same date as 5.0?). I can't believe it took this long for such a universally hated stage from what I've seen and heard from players both NA and JPN.

Looks like the glass area is getting massively reduced (thank fuck), the sides are being expanded, and the rail is replaced with a sponge. The top area being a football field of glass with no cover meant any long range weapon on one side and you control almost the entire map; Hydra and Ballpoint being horrific eldritch monsters here. Hammerhead Bridge had this concept but did it better by being a net that you could escape through and shoot up through instead of this glass crap so good riddance.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Turf War's flaw shows up in high level, optimized team play. In casual queue I still frequently see groups lose because of mistakes in the early and mid-game, like not pressing an advantage or pushing too far, not painting in the back or on the way back to mid, super jumping too often or not often enough, not having specials ready for the final stretch, etc.

"Wins are decided in the last 30 seconds" is only true once players realize there's distinctive phases to Turf War strategy at all.

Clam Blitz is a bad mess at all levels of individual competence and group coherence.