• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They were supposed to delete Shellendorf, not fix it. Come on Nogami

We'll see how it turns out but it definitely doesn't look like enough to fix it, the ceiling still looks too big for me and if you can still walk over the roof to throw clams in then they totally missed one of the main critiques of the stage

I hope that we'll be able to use all the ink colors, the fact that there are 51 you can choose in private battles seems like a pretty big number

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So... I have a voucher ready and was wondering if it's too late to join for Splatoon 2?
Since the Splatfest things are over I have only the multiplayer and story + DLC?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
So... I have a voucher ready and was wondering if it's too late to join for Splatoon 2?
Since the Splatfest things are over I have only the multiplayer and story + DLC?
The Splatfests were single day Turf War only events that were nice as a community get together, but don't think you missed out on some bulk of the game because of that. The only time it's too late to join Splatoon 2 is when there's no one left playing it.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017

Nintendo's paid online has been killing the online community for a lot games, even Mario games like Mario Tennis. Luckily, Splatoon 2 is very popular and will probably remain in a good state for multiplayer for at least a few years.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw this on twitter, looks like a lead localizer is stepping down from Nintendo but he also shared that he wrote nearly every english word spoken by Callie & Marie and Pearl & Marina

thought that was cool. so no matter who your favorite is you can, in part, thank eric for the awesome dialogue we got for all of them

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I liked him when he showed up on Treehouse Live and clearly he's done a lot of good work.

Someone should ask him whether the innuendo in Marina's line about inking their splat zones during the invisibility splatfest was intentional

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Version 5.0 patch notes are live.

Lot of surprise changes. Not only Shellendorf is getting changed, but so is Albacore Hotel AND Clam Blitz on every stage AND some Salmon Run Weapon Changes.

Private Match
+In Turf War, you can select from the 24 Shifty Station stages featured in the various Splatfests
+Play on one of these stages and the music used will be Splatfest exclusive themes.

New Gear Added
+The Splatfest Tee Replica is added
+Has the Ability Doubler ability
(Examine the box in the plaza to unlock the gear)

Stage changes
Shellendorf Institute
+Changed across all modes
+Central, upper area has been lowered
+Depending on the mode, the left and right sides will be expanded
+Various changes to terrain and objects

Albacore Hotel
+Across all modes, expanded paintable area, reaching your sides high points has been made easier, and various changes to terrain and objects
+During Splat Zones and Tower Control modes, modifications have been made to boxes that assist in movement toward the middle of the map

In Clam Blitz on all stages, clam spawning locations have been changed****

Sploosh o Matic / Splattershot Jr / Aerospray / Splash o Matic / Splattershot / 52 Gal / N-Zap (whew!)
+Increased damage to Booyah Bomb user's armor by 17%

Luna Blaster
+Range of 50 damage radius from explosion increased by 2%

Squeezer (and it dies as it lived)
+Ink required for initial shot reduced by 8%

Carbon Roller / Splat Roller
+Increased damage to Booyah Bomb user's armor by 2%

Flingza Roller
+During vertical swings, increased inkspread by 12%

Squiffer
+Max damage just before full charge increased from 70 to 80

Gootuber
+Full charge shot range increased by 1% (is this a troll???)
+Uncharged shot range increased in response to above change (this is a joke, right?)

Trislosher
+Improved accuracy of center spray when aiming up or down

Nautilus
+When on the ground, reduced shot spray by 8%

Dapple Dualies
+Increased inkspread of shots by 3%

Glooga Dualies
+Reduced ink consumption of shots by 6%

Splattershot Pro
-Reduced effectiveness of Main Power Up
*To reach 49.9 damage, the amount of gear power has been increased from 3.9 to 4.2 (1 main = 1 point, 1 sub = 0.3 point)

Inkjet
+Bullet speed increased by 5%

Ultra Stamp
+Speed of first swing when on the ground and the followup to second swing starting the rush have both been reduced by 2 frames (so 4 frames total).

Special Point Changes
+Splattershot (Hero) 180-170
+Blaster (Hero) 180-170
+H3 Nozzlenose 180-170
+Splat Roller (Hero) 180-170
+Splat Dualies (Hero) 190-180

Salmon Run Exclusive Weapon Changes
Range Blaster
+Reduced ink consumption by 8%

Carbon Roller
+Normal flick damage increased by 33%
+Vertical flick damage increased by 14%

Octobrush
+Max damage of swinging attack increased by 50%

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
((Godtuber grows stronger))

Also Carbon and Octobrush Salmon changes sound great!
And SSP main must be devastated they'll need one more MPU sub...

edit: and Salmon Gear will change every rotation it seems

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man the goo tuber is so good. It gets a buff almost every patch and it's still yet to reach its full potential

This art for the next season of Koshien tournaments is pretty cool, the ink armor inkling is kind of horrifying

EAel0vUUYAAZ4Bq

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
That Octobrush buff in Salmon Run is great. I hated when that was in the rotation since it wasn't much stronger than the regular Inkbrush but it absolutely chewed through ink.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Shellendorf Clams still looks unpleasant but there are some good things about these changes. Glass area did get smaller, more holes, and lowered so normal weapons can effectively pressure players on it from multiple angles. While you can still sink a Power Clam from the glass, you have to jump off to make it connect, so Toxic Mist can help there. The left "sniper spot" on your side is a lot wider with more cover and with the lowered glass, other weapons can pressure the common "clam throwing" spot on the glass. Players can still flank from the left side but it's a lot harder now as they have to stand on a small box and jump so one person defending can be pretty effective at locking it down. It still looks pretty gross for a long range weapon to go up there and own the entire upper level alone but since it is smaller and lower, I suspect it'll be easier to at least pressure them with other weapons but doing that makes you vulnerable to the normal weapons on the enemy. So the stage still looks to be terrible but the concept and design was atrocious from the outset so nothing could really fix that; it just seems a little less terrible and might give players the illusion that they had a chance in some encounters. Toxic Mist looks to be really good here, so the vanilla Ballpoint is going to be a monster here, especially with the Inkjet buff.

Clam Blitz changes are hard to notice without memorizing the original clam spawn points but they appear to have been clumped together a lot, especially near the basket. On Blackbelly, there looks to be seven spawns really close to the basket with five all in arms reach of each other and three of them almost touching the basket. They also seem to spawn faster but that might just be me imagining things.

EAzkoQQUEAE8PjF.jpg

On the one hand, this makes it easier for players coming out of spawn to gather clams and to have a healthy amount of clams in general and should make it easier to keep a basket open, but that also means that a wipe against your team is so much worse. On the other hand, it'll make it easier for your team to defend your basket as the clams being grouped closer together means players are going to be closer together, making them vulnerable to more AOE weapons and makes it more clear where you should apply pressure. One of the biggest problems I have with Blitz is just how hectic and unfocused it is. The other modes work better because since there is a clear focal point, it allows you to read and somewhat predict where players are going to go. Blitz on the other hand feels like "everything and everyone everywhere!" at times. If the clam clusters are so close together, it'll be easier and more reliable to watch and defend those locations.

No Albacore in rotations so can't see what was changed and it's just available in Zones and Tower control this month. I imagine the rope bridges became shorter in exchange for larger middle and sides.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't affect me personally at this point but it's a shame for new players that they don't appear to have come up with a solution for the lack of sea snails now Splatfests are finished.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It's weird because the first Splatoon only came up with an alternative way to earn Sea Snails after Splatfests had ended, but Splatoon 2 launched with one already in place so the deficit feels larger.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Finally reached rank X! With rainmaker.
Four months in the game and I didn't think I would be so hooked.
To celebrate, I'm sharing my favorite/most bullshit moment from Rainmaker.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Congrats!

Nice video too, it's nice how your teammates almost doesn't appear in the video, but they're around supporting you (which I don't see much on S+ RM). And that stingray was on point lol

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
So 5.0 has no new courses or weapons and just the splat tee as gear?

Speaking of the splat tee, how does 6 subs compare to 3 subs and 1 main of the same type?

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Finally reached rank X! With rainmaker.
Four months in the game and I didn't think I would be so hooked.
To celebrate, I'm sharing my favorite/most bullshit moment from Rainmaker.

Respect for doing the climb in four months. I'm still working my way up to X in Rainmaker and I had a twenty month headstart on you. I love a good team goal, tho, and that hightlight was a team's team goal.

Speaking of the splat tee, how does 6 subs compare to 3 subs and 1 main of the same type?

18 points on the doubler vs 19 on the regular.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
saw this on twitter, looks like a lead localizer is stepping down from Nintendo but he also shared that he wrote nearly every english word spoken by Callie & Marie and Pearl & Marina

thought that was cool. so no matter who your favorite is you can, in part, thank eric for the awesome dialogue we got for all of them

Just saw that he landed a job at Bungie. I seriously love the Splatoon script and all its humor. He did a fantastic job and will be very missed.

On the one hand, since Turf War is so silly, I can't really get mad about losing it. Sure it's frustrating to lose, but It's like getting mad at a coin flip. On the other hand, I'd really like there to be more substance and variety to special events that get so much attention like the Splatfests.

A lot of pro players stream regularly like Dude, Sendou, and Vesper on Twitch.tv. Dude does answer questions on stream but it is better to just tweet him or watch his Youtube videos. There's also a lot of Japanese players that stream and post videos to Youtube daily and while they do give advice you can get the idea from watching them play.

But specific weapon counters? That's just something players have to learn on their own and Ranked mode will do that with longer game times and more people using high tier weapons more often. I've complained about Dualies for so long because they're everywhere and take too much advantage of Nintendo's potato online. Fight them so long and so consistently you can't help but eventually learn how to read them. Same with Rollers and Chargers. I still remember when the Splatoon 1 demo came out and people thought the roller was the most OP weapon.

Honestly it's about learning fundamentals that help more than anything. Knowing to wait and observe, stop super jumping all the time, not rushing in like you're a superhero, saving special, not using up all your ink on nothing, not giving up advantageous position and learning that it is OK to back off. I talked shit about Aerospray and Brushes a lot because the people using them during Splatfests / Turf War aren't using them correctly and hurt the team for it. The players do the same thing with both weapons and treat them like aggressive shooters when they absolutely are not. Aerospray is a high paint, high mobility weapon so it should be used to paint turf to allow your aggressive weapon teammates ink to move in but instead the Aerosprays I see rush in and get killed by everything under the sun while their galaxy brain strat is build Curling Bomb Rush and walk along side making them completely vulnerable instead of letting the ink and bombs do the work for them. Brushes should be used for disruption and diversions taking advantage of their high speed without needing paint to move, instead I see brush users fling fling fling, swim to the edge of their ink, fling fling fling, and repeat like it's a gun.

Because of the chaotic and unfocused nature of Turf War, I think it's harder for players to learn things of actual substance while in Ranked modes that have objectives, you have to learn through observation and adaptation or you get washed. It's like in Smash Bros Brawl when I went online. I felt I was pretty good at the series but when I got into games without items and without stage hazards, I realized how little I actually knew about the game and the characters I used. Once I had to rely solely on my characters' innate abilities that was when I really began to learn the game and enjoy it on a different level that appealed to me a lot more. And that's carried over to 4 and Ultimate. And it's why every Splatoon Tournament that isn't hosted by Nintendo rarely if ever feature Turf War.

Clams is still pretty terrible, but I'm enjoying it more by focusing on backline and popping people rushing the choke point. But even then it being better than Turf is like by 0.00001% XD
As usual, thanks! :)

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I have an hour to play and I need 50 points to get into the Rank X safe zone. Game proceeds to throw -3 and +5 games my way.

I've ascended beyond raging at teammates and reached the purified matchmaking salt state.

To cap it all of, and wipe out all the slow gains made over the course of the session, it ends with a -24 loss where the group average is 250 points higher than the power level I am trying to reach.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I felt like I lost my touch in Splat Zones, since I can't even regularly win a match. Currently in S+7 but it's between 75% - 90% of the way (75% because of 3 cracks, and less than 90% because there's no "Danger!" indicator), while the bar is hardly filled at around 10% of it. While it's true that I have already achieved X Rank in Rainmaker, I wish I could get my Splat Zones rank to X again.

Thank you for reading.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys still playing? Stats for August and September.
39stKWA.png

What's your favorite or your most used weapon?
N220Ifw.jpg

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Are all these stats from the app?
I had no idea you got the time you played in a month from it.
I'm still playing and for turf war I still use the splattershot jr. Not sure what ither weapon i should use
First image is from the monthly Nintendo newsletter.
Second image is from NSO app.
If you activate parental settings, you can use the Nintendo Switch Parental Control app to see detailed playtime (hours, minutes, per day).

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First image is from the monthly Nintendo newsletter.
Second image is from NSO app.
If you activate parental settings, you can use the Nintendo Switch Parental Control app to see detailed playtime (hours, minutes, per day).

Oh I see. I guess it makes sense why I never saw it in the app then.
Would be cool if the app gave you the time breakdown as well

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain was my most played in the last month with 114 hours total

I still play the squid game a couple times a week, a lot less this summer between work being busy and all the other games that have come out lately. I think I'm almost at 900 hours played, so maybe it's good to slow down a little. I think my most used 5 weapons are Custom Jr, Vanilla and Kensa Pro, and N Zap 85 and 89

I wonder if we're going to get an update at some point to accommodate the invite friend feature Nintendo introduced in 9.0, I assume we will eventually with the next balance patch, whenever that comes

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Are you guys still playing? Stats for August and September.
What's your favorite or your most used weapon?
I'm playing a lot intermittently. I had a 5 hours session yesterday. Starting to better understand the nuances of how to approach each mode. Made some advances in Tower Control after understanding to aim at the chokepoints rather than at the tower. :p
Matchmaking was slow yesterday in europe.

I love zooming around with Inkbrush or swimming around with Sploosh-o-matic 7. I have poor aim so I like the quick paint and close range kills. The lack of range is becoming a problem in higher level play though. Especially in maps with lots of platforms.

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Astral Chain was my most played in the last month with 114 hours total

I still play the squid game a couple times a week, a lot less this summer between work being busy and all the other games that have come out lately. I think I'm almost at 900 hours played, so maybe it's good to slow down a little. I think my most used 5 weapons are Custom Jr, Vanilla and Kensa Pro, and N Zap 85 and 89

I wonder if we're going to get an update at some point to accommodate the invite friend feature Nintendo introduced in 9.0, I assume we will eventually with the next balance patch, whenever that comes
How do you have 114 hours in Astral Chain already? :O
I have played it for like 12 :P
I only play it on the weekends cause each file takes me a couple of hours and I'm still playing a lot of Splatoon (approaching 1700 hours now).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do you have 114 hours in Astral Chain already? :O
I have played it for like 12 :P
I only play it on the weekends cause each file takes me a couple of hours and I'm still playing a lot of Splatoon (approaching 1700 hours now).
It was 114 hours overall Switch playtime, Astral Chain was about 50 of that and Splatoon was probably about 25 or so. Astral Chain is good, but it's not that good

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Just read that we're getting patch 5.01 around the 10th next month. No balance changes, Nintendo's only destroying the Ultra Stamp mid-air jump fun we had. Such a nice little trick imo. Starfish mainstage will be take out of the rotation on the 20th sep.
It seem like Nintendo won't do anything with the K-pro powerhouse.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even realize the stamp mid-air jump was a thing before the patch announcement. How the K-Pro a powerhouse? Again?

I feel so out the loop when it comes to Splatoon news, tricks, techniques and stuff. How do you guys keep up to date? I used to use this thread for that, but obviously it isn't that active anymore :P

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You haven't noticed that almost every match has 2 K-Pros, and sometimes 3, in it recently? The K Pro is king right now because it's the easiest weapon to use at a high level and the nerfs weren't enough to keep it down. It isn't really particularly powerful, just super well rounded and easy. I think it's in a position where it's effectively the default weapon of Splatoon, if you can't decide what weapon to choose, you can always rely on it, and now that things have settled with no balance patches in sight, you may as well stick with it.

These days I'm mostly just following Nine, Dude, and a couple other top players, but I haven't even been paying that much attention since 5.0 dropped

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Last month I started using the N-Zap '85 because I wanted to raise my rank from S+ to X in Splat Zones, and wowzers, that weapon is really great from my experience! It is a lightweight weapon so it provides great mobility, its accuracy is not too bad and it's not bad at painting. More important, I felt that it worked great with Ink Armour since it makes engaging in battle safer. I know competitive players opted for the Splattershot Jr. for its better ink efficacy and cheaper Ink Armour, but I personally like the N-Zap even though it's out of fashion for a long time already.

I've also gotten X Rank in Rainmaker, which leaves me with Clam Blitz. I am at S+5 now, and it's basically thanks to a rotation of N-Zap '85, N-Zap '83 and the trusty Clash Blaster Neo. I am considering the '89 only because it has things I like: the main weapon and Tenta Missiles.

My default gear is as follows. The only thing of note in my opinion is Main Power Up, since I heard that it's the minimal optimum for N-Zap for the painting radius and maybe the ground shot accuracy.
Headgear: Swim Speed Up (M), Run Speed Up (2), Bomb Defence Up DX
Shirt: Quick Respawn (M), Quick Super Jump, Special Saver, Ink Resistance Up
Shoes: Special Charge Up (M), Main Power Up (2), Special Power Up

Thank you for reading.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Jumped back in yesterday. At around A+/S- people were disconnecting a good 1/2 of the time when the team had the slightest disadvantage. Sure my rank didn't change, but I actually play Splatoon for fun, not to rank. It seems to me there is no golden area for Splatoon. Lower ranks you get scrubs, upper ranks you get 'rank miners' who DC before taking an L. I continue to be very disappointed in Nintendo for neglecting this franchise. S2 was clearly a rush job to get out for Switch launch. S3 should be in full development right now as a truly revolutionary step for the franchise. With Overwatch coming the Splatoon pop will shrink yet again.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Jumped back in yesterday. At around A+/S- people were disconnecting a good 1/2 of the time when the team had the slightest disadvantage. Sure my rank didn't change, but I actually play Splatoon for fun, not to rank. It seems to me there is no golden area for Splatoon. Lower ranks you get scrubs, upper ranks you get 'rank miners' who DC before taking an L.

How does that "rank mining" work? Disconnects still count as losses.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo neglecting this franchise? 2 years worth of free updates, one really meaty DLC campaign, still doing concerts and tournaments. I don't get this complaint, tbh.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon 2 would be better if Nintendo had neglected it earlier because then we'd be playing in a world without MPU.

How do you know this? It's the first time I'm hearing of a one-minute protected period and I've had no luck googling further information.
In turf war, if someone else from your team disconnects early in the match and you lose, you retain your freshness rating (but only if it happened at the beginning). I'm guessing it's similar in ranked, but I don't know the penalty for the player who disconnected.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
In turf war, if someone else from your team disconnects early in the match and you lose, you retain your freshness rating (but only if it happened at the beginning). I'm guessing it's similar in ranked, but I don't know the penalty for the player who disconnected.

Sure, if someone else in your team disconnects. But what Thatguy is saying is that if YOU disconnect early enough you won't lose ranking, so you can exploit that to avoid losses and farm wins.