• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally a good splat zones rotation coming up when I'm not at work

fucking moray towers has been ruining everything! kelp zones is kind of meh but walleye zones is one of the GOATs

awwwww yeah brahz

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got to level 200? or the second reset after getting the star... This is probably the game i've played the most, ever, but it's still a lot of fun.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I got to 3 stars last Friday and I'm already 4, so, level 301.
I still play A LOT of Splatoon, I guess :P

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What I want more than anything from this April patch is to be paired with people close to my point range in Salmon Run.

I am so sick of getting these 13 opening quotas and being paired with children that have 0 clue how to play and I'm sick of grinding up to 800+ and still not getting Hazard Level Max rounds.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What I want more than anything from this April patch is to be paired with people close to my point range in Salmon Run.

I am so sick of getting these 13 opening quotas and being paired with children that have 0 clue how to play and I'm sick of grinding up to 800+ and still not getting Hazard Level Max rounds.

+1

There are too many bad players in Profreshional. They need to either figure out how to rebalance matchmaking or reevaluate the tiers in the next game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really got problems in profreshional, tbh. Max Hazard is difficult to achieve even with a good team, so playing alone and trying to make it? good luck.

For normal hauls, i've found you can save bad teams pretty efficiently as long as the tides are not crazy enough.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My issue isn't so much surviving since I'm really good at that, but it's the grind to get Hazard Level Max that drives me nuts. Like now I had to grind up to 935 to finally get one to happen, and then right after is a 15 egg wave 1 quota.

I want high quotas / higher profreshional scores because that means my team should have a good idea of what they're doing. Not just being comfortable using any weapon in the game but knowing things like luring enemies to the basket, letting a Scrapper get to an open space that'll let someone be able to hit the backside, and not riding the rails for the entire wave. The scrapper one I've been seeing a lot on Polaris during low tide where a scrapper will go down that center path and my team will just start blasting and have no way to get behind it to actually kill the thing. The kicker is their solution is to try to jump over / around it. The ones that don't immediately drop in the drink get sandwiched behind the scrapper and the goons behind it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My issue isn't so much surviving since I'm really good at that, but it's the grind to get Hazard Level Max that drives me nuts. Like now I had to grind up to 935 to finally get one to happen, and then right after is a 15 egg wave 1 quota.

I want high quotas / higher profreshional scores because that means my team should have a good idea of what they're doing. Not just being comfortable using any weapon in the game but knowing things like luring enemies to the basket, letting a Scrapper get to an open space that'll let someone be able to hit the backside, and not riding the rails for the entire wave. The scrapper one I've been seeing a lot on Polaris during low tide where a scrapper will go down that center path and my team will just start blasting and have no way to get behind it to actually kill the thing. The kicker is their solution is to try to jump over / around it. The ones that don't immediately drop in the drink get sandwiched behind the scrapper and the goons behind it.

I understand. I've played a lot of it. However considering this is Nintendo, i doubt they would make like an even more pro tier for salmon run. It's not their focus for that mode i think.

Let's see what splatoon3 brings.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is thus guy I see often in freelancing named "UpHere2Win" and he will literally spend the majority of the Arc Polaris rounds pacing around the top hitting "This Way" constantly. It's pretty funny. He is a bit stubborn about it (not even going down quickly to clear a Stinger) but at least he plays objective.

The Scrapper example that Magnet_Man describes, drives me up the wall. Whenever the team opens like that, it's like "oh no, it's one of those teams", lol.

The thing that makes the 999 climb difficult (with randoms) is people who refuse to collect eggs. I can usually carry a subpar Salmon team with surviving/splatting but it's hard to make people collect eggs sometimes.

I think Salmon Run is going to get a pretty big overhaul in Splatoon 3. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
So I've sorted trough my roughly 2500 Splatoon video captures and 2000 screenshots. (NSO expired, finished campaigns, nothing to do.)
Selected a few dozen clips, nothing still comes close to top this, but I've found a reasonable second place:

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I just loaded up Splatoon 2 for the first time since the last splatfest and Im curious, did they end up implementing any way for us to get sea snails without splatfests now that theyre over?

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I just loaded up Splatoon 2 for the first time since the last splatfest and Im curious, did they end up implementing any way for us to get sea snails without splatfests now that theyre over?
Each level you gain after level 30 will earn you a Super Sea Snail. This was implemented before Splatfests ended though.The exp requirements stops increasing at level 50!
I'm not sure how fast it is to grind them, maybe one every 5 hours if you play well? I don't have a good notion as I'm usually using gold tickets rather than exp tickets and it's been a while.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Each level you gain after level 30 will earn you a Super Sea Snail. This was implemented before Splatfests ended though.The exp requirements stops increasing at level 50!
I'm not sure how fast it is to grind them, maybe one every 5 hours if you play well? I don't have a good notion as I'm usually using gold tickets rather than exp tickets and it's been a while.
Got it, I must have missed this. Thanks!
That's a lot of work though... lol

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So with the Switch 10.0 patch giving us the ability to change our buttons, that makes for some interesting changes to some weapons in Splatoon.

Specifically the brushes and the Squeezer as one complication to using them was the physical strain on your hand manually firing these weapons as fast as you could for multiple consecutive minutes. But if you can map the fire button to one of the face buttons and let your thumb I think that'd be much more comfortable and reliable. I'm curious how high motion sensitivity would need to be to compensate for reduced use of the right stick in that case.

I'd love to test it....if I could download the stinking patch.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Map ZR to all face buttons, then just keep sliding your finger over them for maximum brushing. Also please wear a glove when doing this to preserve your thumb.

For now I just mapped jump to L to see how it fares.
It's not like having the thumb leave the right analog is a big loss thanks to gyro, ofc, so there might not be much gain in this.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
The only face button I could think of sacrificing for ZR would be A outside of Clam Blitz.
I'll try putting ⌼ (screenshots) on ► or L (had trouble pressing it in the heat of action).

It's also an opportunity to map SR and SL... No idea what to put on them.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So the Japanese patch notes were released tonight, in preparation for the next balance update to be released on April 20th, next week. Feels a little weird to be living with the data of what's coming for that long, but so it goes. I'm not gonna go line-by-line since I'm sure the English notes will come out soon enough for folks to get lost in the details anyway, but some parting thoughts from looking it over:

- Nothing egregiously bad about what I'm seeing, which is a bonus at least. Ballpoint getting some nerfs that feel sensible and open the door enough for Hydra and Mini to to get some life again, now that the Ballpoint won't just...do both of their jobs simultaneously at nearly the same level.
- Tenta Brella probably the other largest nerf, taking longer for its canopy to recover (seems fair enough IMO), and getting a hefty 10% ink efficiency nerf (seems like overkill IMO)
- Some wonky changes to chargers and e-liter to further differentiate the scoped and unscoped versions. I guess the devs are eager to keep charge hold relevant. (In that case, why does the poor Goo Tuber remain untouched?)
- An unnecessary buff to the Flingza, which continues to receive buffs despite it already being in a pretty good spot. Though as someone who uses Flingza a lot, the vanilla version in particular, more buffs for it are always welcome in my book.
- Splat Dualies' ink droplets are slightly better so it'll cover turf more....why? Did anyone feel like this was needed? Are dualies somehow underrepresented?
- The bubble blower change is interesting. They're basically nerfing the size of the first two bubbles so that the three get progressively larger with each bubble formed. This mostly feels like a counter to people who've been doing quick-pop bubbles for big burst damage in a large area, but hard to gauge just how this will play out until we see the size reduction in practical terms.

- No changes to any damage numbers, and no changes to gear abilities whatsoever, which I find kind of interesting. After revisiting the game in a larger sense in the last few days it definitely still feels extremely bomb-heavy, but at this point I guess that's just what the devs are going for, or are at least okay with (give Jr the 100-unit ink tank back please). Like I said before nothing in this looks terribly drastic on its face, which could be good or bad if you're looking for fine tuning vs. a game overhaul. I don't think it'll hurt, and the notes also seem to hint that this won't be the last balance adjustment either. They want to take some time and see how these changes shake out before looking into further changes.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Patch 5.2.0 notes, patch coming 4/21 NA time.

.52 Gal
+Increased ink spread at feet

Splat Roller
+Increased ink spread of horizontal flicks

Flingza Roller
+Reduced vertical swing animation by 3 frames

Tri-Slosher
+Reduced time between repeated sloshes by 2 frames

Heavy Splatling
+Reduced shot waver on the ground by 6%

Splat Dualies
+Slightly increased ink spread of droplets

Glooga Dualies
+Reduced ink consumption by 7%

Squiffer
+Reduced time from releasing full charge while in ink to firing the shot by 1 frame

Splat Charger / E-Liter
+Reduced time from releasing full charge while in ink to firing the shot by 2 frames

Splat Charger Scope / E-Liter Scope (yes, exclusive to scope variant)
-When firing a full charge shot, made the ink spread slightly slimmer
**When firing non-full charge shot, ink spread is unchanged

Ballpoint
-When firing in long range mode, reduced bullet velocity by 4% and reduced range
-While firing in short range mode, reduced walk speed by 10%

Tentabrella
-Time before brella regenerates after being launched or destroyed extended by 40 frames
-Increased ink consumption for bullets by 10%

Toxic Mist
+Mist now slows movement speed of enemies using Baller special

Baller
-When manually detonating the Baller with ZR, extended detonation time by 16 frames
+When using Baller as part of light-class weapons and you are not being shot at, rolling speed has increased
**Applies to Aerospray RG, Luna Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau, Undercover Sorella Brella kits
-When using Baller as part of heavy-class weapons and you are not being shot at, rolling speed has been decreased by 14%
**Applies to Explosher Custom kit

Bubble Blower
+Time before bubbles disappear on their own extended by 2 seconds
-The first and second bubbles have had their sizes reduced
**The first is the smallest, the second is slightly larger, and the third is normal size
**Ink spread and damage range have been altered to match the altered bubble sizes

Special Point Changes
+N-Zap83 180 - 170
+Custom Range Blaster 180 - 170
-L3 Nozzlenose 210-220
-Foil Squeezer 180 - 190
-Inkbrush Nouveau 160 - 180

Nothing about the next update (if ever), just that they will be monitoring how these changes affect the landscape.

Misc changes are the music box has tracks #20-26 unlocked for everyone. But the best change is people that frequently disconnect will have their penalty time extended.

Other than the Heavy Splatling buff and more bubble nerfs, I got nothing out of this, although I'm glad Tentabrella got kicked in the dick. Sick of those assholes just throwing out that shield and going Manifest Destiny on every path or platform I'm on. But I'm surprised this is such a tame balance patch considering they gave us such a long heads up and specifically said this one would be a more encompassing change. I wasn't expecting another functionality change like Tentamissiles got on number of targets or Jr's 110% tank, but I was expecting them to really look at, like, 80% of all the kits or give us some gear changes. Toxic Mist in particular just feels so ineffectual to use on anything that isn't a dualie. Either an increase in speed of ink drain or reduced time before ink recovery.

Who do I gotta go down on to get some goddamn Ultra Stamp buffs!?

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The increase to how long bubbles stay up is interesting as a way to push the special away from burst damage and more towards area denial. Can't say the change will do much, but the threat posed by bubbles drifting over a contested zone - having to balance your ink and time usage between shooting the bubbles, painting the ground and splatting enemies - has always been the more fun dynamic to me.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The increase to how long bubbles stay up is interesting as a way to push the special away from burst damage and more towards area denial. Can't say the change will do much, but the threat posed by bubbles drifting over a contested zone - having to balance your paint and time usage between shooting the bubbles, painting the ground and splatting enemies - has always been the more fun dynamic to me.
Yeah I feel like using the bubbles as more of an extended potential area threat that can be countered has always kind of been the intended purpose of the special, between using the bubbles as cover and warning the other team to not get too close. Players, of course, twisted a new purpose out of it with quick-pops by throwing bombs/torpedoes out beforehand and then using SpecPower Up to make those quick explosions enormous. Feels like some of those bursts could come out just as large as, and more quickly (maybe even more safely!) than someone using splashdown...and they can do it three times! Again we'll need to see just how much smaller the first two bubbles are now but on its face this feels like a decent change to me.

Right now I have five Splatoon amiibo that I use for my supposed "main" weapon lines that I cycle around in the game. Of those five weapons, four of them got buffed lol (Flingza, .52 Gal, Heavy Splatling, and N-Zap (just the 83 but still)). My only untouched main is the Clash Blaster but that really isn't in need of anything else at this point anyway. Still I'll be eating pretty good off this patch, if unintentionally.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nzap 83 buff is weird, felt like you could spam tons of missiles already. The bubbles change sounds great and should gently discourage the overused torpedo/object shredder strategy.

I might try messing with remapping today, putting either booyah or clam throw on L sounds great

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Nzap 83 buff is weird, felt like you could spam tons of missiles already. The bubbles change sounds great and should gently discourage the overused torpedo/object shredder strategy.

I might try messing with remapping today, putting either booyah or clam throw on L sounds great
Just for clarity's sake, the 83 is the sprinkler/inkstorm variant, not the missiles one.

...Not that that weapon really needs to shit out inkstorms even faster when it's already an N-zap with a sprinkler. Like...covering turf to build special points quickly is already a non-issue with that thing.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just when I switch to kensa rapid they buff my foil flingza

I was already a better player with the fling, in splat zones anyway, but playing rapid is just so much damn fun and it's the easier way to get that god tier feedback from hitting a direct without having to play charger

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know.... Muscle memory kicks in real hard during fight or flight moments. You might end up having a game like this one, although he mapped his clam button to right on the D-pad for some reason. Skip to 4:05 and last 15 seconds of the game if you don't want to sit through the entire thing.

"Guys...let's...let's keep the clam button the same...alright?"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know.... Muscle memory kicks in real hard during fight or flight moments. You might end up having a game like this one, although he mapped his clam button to right on the D-pad for some reason. Skip to 4:05 and last 15 seconds of the game if you don't want to sit through the entire thing.

"Guys...let's...let's keep the clam button the same...alright?"
Oh god no! I already drop the ball, literally and metaphorically, enough in game winning situations as it is. His total silence after it happens is so sad

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the ever so slightest of museum d'alfonsino vibes from inkblot zones with rapid. the lower left side of inkblot and harassing either their mid or plat with rapid feels almost like holing up over on the lower top right side of museum zones and doing the same

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that we live in the year 2020 and there are still people stupid enough to think walking the rainmaker backwards at the end of a game is a good idea. Sure I got pushed out of X this month but come on!

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Playing a lot more lately, turf war in particular, it strikes me.......Splatoon 2 has one of the stupidest player bases I've ever known.

The game's been out for almost three years, the franchise has existed for five, and...rampant squid party attempts in lobbies are just still a thing, huh? People who are level 60+ and have clearly put a lot of time into the game, the notion of booting up the game and just...not playing it is still somehow bringing them entertainment, huh? Tons of fun just...standing around purposelessly for three minutes, huh. The fact that I can hop into a new lobby and have at least a 50% shot lately of the room having two or more of these jackasses show up is baffling to me this long into the game's life. The novelty of this really hasn't worn off for people yet? They genuinely get more out of their experience and time this way than if they were trying to actually play as intended, even three years later?

I've been instilling a new personal policy that has generally helped to take care of this issue after a couple rounds, but it shouldn't take a couple rounds in the first place in order to get a playable match going. The idiocy of it all both confuses and annoys me.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Patch is live

Playing a lot more lately, turf war in particular, it strikes me.......Splatoon 2 has one of the stupidest player bases I've ever known.

The game's been out for almost three years, the franchise has existed for five, and...rampant squid party attempts in lobbies are just still a thing, huh? People who are level 60+ and have clearly put a lot of time into the game, the notion of booting up the game and just...not playing it is still somehow bringing them entertainment, huh? Tons of fun just...standing around purposelessly for three minutes, huh. The fact that I can hop into a new lobby and have at least a 50% shot lately of the room having two or more of these jackasses show up is baffling to me this long into the game's life. The novelty of this really hasn't worn off for people yet? They genuinely get more out of their experience and time this way than if they were trying to actually play as intended, even three years later?

I've been instilling a new personal policy that has generally helped to take care of this issue after a couple rounds, but it shouldn't take a couple rounds in the first place in order to get a playable match going. The idiocy of it all both confuses and annoys me.

I don't get it either

I run into that all the time when I try playing Smash. People have told me that if I hate Quick Play / Elite Smash I should use Arenas, but all I've ever experienced that isn't me getting booted for losing or people leaving when I win, it's teabag parties. Just three of them squatting over and over for five minutes. Hate Ultimate's online so much.

Edit: Holy shit, if this is increased ink spread at feet, how terrible was it BEFORE!? I'm assuming it's supposed to be 2nd shot primarily but It takes like three or four shots sometimes for that drop to hit. Goddamn.

EDIT2: BOMBA

THE SALTY SPLATFEST RUNBACKS HAVE BEGUN! KETCHUP VS MAYO: THE MUSTARDING

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Patch is live
Edit: Holy shit, if this is increased ink spread at feet, how terrible was it BEFORE!? I'm assuming it's supposed to be 2nd shot primarily but It takes like three or four shots sometimes for that drop to hit. Goddamn.
I assume that this is in reference to the .52 Gal having "increased ink spread at feet"? If so I literally made sure to test out this and a few other things prior to the patch coming out just so I could be more sure about what was changing.

From some quick pre-patch tests, firing from the .52 Gal, whether holding the button down or just tap-shotting, you usually wouldn't get an ink-drop to appear on your feet until roughly the fourth shot to come out, with an occasional chance of getting one on 3 or 5, so there is a bit of RNG involved with it. After the patch, there's now a chance of getting the ink at your feet on the second shot, and you usually get one to show up anywhere between 2-4 shots. Having used the 52 a decent amount before this and seeing how easy it can be to get into trouble and how much the weapon struggles to retreat, I think this is actually gonna be a rather significant change.

Flingza's faster vertical swings...I'll admit I don't feel much, if at all. But I thought it was already good enough before, so that's fine with me. The other big talking point was the Ballpoint, but at least looking at my range tests it's hard to tell how much it was really affected. I'll have to leave that up to other people who actually used the damn thing more.

Edit: After getting out of the firing range and actually using it in a few matches, the Flingza buff might be a little nicer than I initially gave it credit for. 3 frames isn't exactly a lot, but the vertical flick has always been the Flingza's best turf-coverage option and being able to get a couple of them off quicker in a row isn't game-changing but feels good.

Also for those who haven't seen it yet, it only took three years but toxic mist is finally actually useful against something!

Just imagine if it actually slowed down everyone as much as this, relatively speaking.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I get this game while it is on sale, how badly am I going to get smoked by people who have been playing it since 2017?
Not really. The player base is by and large absolutely horrid even after all this time, especially in Turf War and Salmon Run. The main thing to remember is that the majority of players are little kids that don't really understand positioning and patience. Ranked Mode in S+ and X is where the monsters are. At worst you may not have access to all the weapons yet, but the default weapons like the Splattershot Jr., Splattershot, Dualies, and Roller are all still really good and viable.

As long as you aren't holding forward on the control stick while fighting when you play, you'll already be in the top 40%. Just, for the love of god, use a lan adapter please...

Last edited:

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I know this is a long shot, but I recently purchased the game and I'd love to get the Jason Voorhees mask I've seen people use.
It seems it was a giveaway some time ago? Can I still get it?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a long shot, but I recently purchased the game and I'd love to get the Jason Voorhees mask I've seen people use.

I think it was a salmon run prize? If not just click on a player that uses it and then use the option to get it from the cyclop-urchin dude.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

It's from Splatoween, I believe it was originally redeemed by a news piece (which shouldn't work anymore). Besides ordering from another player, you wait for it to show up on Splatnet (via the mobile app) and buy it there.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All random weapons needs to be the standard for Salmon Run and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
After more than a year (maybe 1.5?) of not touching ranked, I finally got back. Already X rank in Splat Zones. I forgot how fun AND frustrating it can be :P

One thing: I freaking hate rollers and brushes. They don't need to aim, just spam ink at any direction and that's it. The amount of times I've splatted out of nowhere is ridiculous. I wish the game would have used a better tick rate.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a brutal Splatfest for me. A combination of not really clicking with the Shifty map, being a bit rusty, and the Ketchup teams generally being poor. Would be surprised if Mayo didn't win this one.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My nephews have turned into Splatoon 2 fiends since getting their switch at Christmas. They have read all the manga and art books, and all they have been able to talk about for weeks was Splatfest.

They were devastated to learn that Splatfests ended, and this was a special occasion and there may be no more after this.

We did Team Mayo matches and they were so damn pumped... like this is a life altering thing for them that they will remember always. Especially when they joined and the town square had changed - it blew their little minds.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After more than a year (maybe 1.5?) of not touching ranked, I finally got back. Already X rank in Splat Zones. I forgot how fun AND frustrating it can be :P

One thing: I freaking hate rollers and brushes. They don't need to aim, just spam ink at any direction and that's it. The amount of times I've splatted out of nowhere is ridiculous. I wish the game would have used a better tick rate.

As an inkbrush main, i feel insulted.

Lmao, jk. But rollers and brushes do require a lot of skill. Aiming and splatting someone with 2 shots of the splattershot pro? not so much. You need to be really close to people to actually land KO damage with those weapons, and that's quite the disadvantage on a game that has boosted ranged weapons since the beginning.