• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love the variety octolings bring to the table. Never played 1, but i thought they were mostly evil characters? I don't quite get the lore.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hearing the different sounding booyah's and ouch's and seeing round headed teammates on my map has been interesting

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the Grizzco slosher pierces armour? I was able to splat a front-facing scrapper and a covered drizzler. If this thing can destroy flyfish when their launchers are closed (EDIT: IT DOES) I'm in love (EDIT: I AM).

I love the variety octolings bring to the table. Never played 1, but i thought they were mostly evil characters? I don't quite get the lore.
My understanding is that DJ Octavio is the big bad and the octolings under him are brainwashed
as was the case with Callie. Agent 8 and the player characters now in Inkopolis are ones broken free from his control due to Inkantation.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Magnet_Man I think I just played a round with you, an Inkling wearing a hockey mask with a Zink Mini on Shellendorf Zones Rank X. They had the same username at least.

I was using the Undercover Brella in that match, which worked better than I expected it, and I saw the incredible Octoling brella animation, where they go wild strumming on the brella like a guitar. These animations make Inklings feel like second class citizens, despite that definitely not being the case canonically.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, the Grizzco slosher pierces armour? I was able to splat a front-facing scrapper and a covered drizzler. If this thing can destroy flyfish when their launchers are closed (EDIT: IT DOES) I'm in love (EDIT: I AM).

My understanding is that DJ Octavio is the big bad and the octolings under him are brainwashed
as was the case with Callie. Agent 8 and the player characters now in Inkopolis are ones broken free from his control due to Inkantation.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Magnet_Man I think I just played a round with you, an Inkling wearing a hockey mask with a Zink Mini on Shellendorf Zones Rank X. They had the same username at least.

I was using the Undercover Brella in that match, which worked better than I expected it, and I saw the incredible Octoling brella animation, where they go wild strumming on the brella like a guitar. These animations make Inklings feel like second class citizens, despite that definitely not being the case canonically.
I see it in my history. That was the round with that laggy Clash Blaster. They're always annoying, but I'm glad we won. GG

I'm waiting for more hairstyles before I jump to Octolings. I haven't seen all the animations yet.

I am going to start wearing that gold hairpick whenever I can though.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I fell below 100 Profreshional and the skill level of teams immediately plummeted through the floor.

I've since lost 12 Salmon Runs in a row, literally nobody goes for eggs at all. Over 75% of those runs would have been fine if they had actually tried to pick up eggs instead of clustering near the shore for kills.

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
Just got this on sale and don't have that many switch friends so if anybody wants to add me for some splatoon 2, go ahead !!
SW-6555-5627-9492

I'm really enjoying multiplayer, but feel like I'm missing out if I don't do singleplayer first...anyways I have plenty of content left before I will purchase the expansion.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is it's not a good weapon for 3 people to have during a griller wave
But they die so fast with it :P, I love its piercing/drill ability. It sucks for finding and chasing the goldie, tho.

Salmon Run should be random weapons always. It was so fun cause every match felt so distinct. I also achieved 300 in Profreshional and got into the 5000s in the prize bar.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game thanks to the sale and it's a lot of fun. Very good surprise!

Do players get better after some level? I'm just level 9 and it's very frustrating to see most of the players going for kills instead of covering the field with ink...
I played with the splattergun at first to learn the ropes and I was winning lot of games and was 90% of the time earning the most points. I decided to try another weapon and it's a disaster. I chose the mini gun and the new mechanic is awesome, but my enjoyment of the game rely on my teammates ability to cover the field. One game I was able to distract two ennemies for 20 seconds and none of my teammates used the opportunity to infiltrate enemy camp and win the game.
Another game we lose not by much and nobody cared to cover our own base camp...
It also seems like lot of players don't know there's roofs and high platforms to cover...
Since I switched weapon I would say that 20% games are fun. Otherwise, it's either an easy win or crushing lose because nobody seems to care about the main goal of the game.

Did I miss something or some weapons are not suited for random games?

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Bought the game thanks to the sale and it's a lot of fun. Very good surprise!

Do players get better after some level? I'm just level 9 and it's very frustrating to see most of the players going for kills instead of covering the field with ink...
I played with the splattergun at first to learn the ropes and I was winning lot of games and was 90% of the time earning the most points. I decided to try another weapon and it's a disaster. I chose the mini gun and the new mechanic is awesome, but my enjoyment of the game rely on my teammates ability to cover the field. One game I was able to distract two ennemies for 20 seconds and none of my teammates used the opportunity to infiltrate enemy camp and win the game.
Another game we lose not by much and nobody cared to cover our own base camp...
It also seems like lot of players don't know there's roofs and high platforms to cover...
Since I switched weapon I would say that 20% games are fun. Otherwise, it's either an easy win or crushing lose because nobody seems to care about the main goal of the game.

Did I miss something or some weapons are not suited for random games?
Players get better yes but not after some levels, after many :]

It's all about team weapons composition, whatever the weapon you choose (depends on what "role" you want to take). There's no "better" weapon from a team pov in my opinion (personal preferences sure). Some weapons are more meta than other but it's more a thing on ranked than turf. What really count on Turf is to be in a good position - tactically (ideally contesting the midfield) - in the last 30/20 seconds. Not necessarily being leading, but just in a position to take advantage of your specials (and to combine the specials) to get the few covering % that make you win. If you're spawn killing your opponents fine the match is already over ^^, but if it's a contested match, those last 20 seconds are the only one counting. So be sure to be on the field, and with your special ready to fire. Basically, as there's no KO win on Turf, I consider 90% of the match to be a waiting game where I mostly try to not lose total control of the midfield (to be in a good position for end of the round). To be honest, I don't like Turf so I only play it in Splatfest ^^

One thing important for all modes: controlling the midfield is key.

Last edited:

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
To mirror these recent comments, I've been playing more since re-buying the game digitally and I'm frustrated by constantly losing while being the best on my team. Matchmaking is all over the place with single digit levels alongside 50+. Is there any way to play turf war with a more serious crowd? I feel like I'm getting increasingly frustrated by my recent results. For example we had two kids just jumping up and down in the starting area during a recent game. It's maddening because it gives my team no chance and feels like I'm wasting time.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Turf War is basically luck of the draw with matchmaking. I've definitely seen people who just jump around but it's rare enough that I don't mind losing due to it.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Turf War is fun but it's more casual to please all levels. Most of the high level to top players don't bother much with it once they're able to do ranked, so there always will be a lack of "expertise" comparatively.

Also, as I said in my previous post, as there's no KO in Turf, you could squeeze the first 4 mn and only bother with the last one and it wouldn't change much in term of results.

If you really want to play with more effective/committed players go rank solo (at high level), or play with a team (the real meat of the game). Just my opinion of course.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
My problem is I like turf war more than most ranked modes which is why I play it more often .

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
My problem is I like turf war more than most ranked modes which is why I play it more often .
Ah yes that's a problem if you want Turf average player to be higher level you'll have to have some kind of ranked Turf (so you can play as a team too) but that would be the end of the more casual orientation as the ranked crowd would drastically up the level. I mean, Splatfest for 500hrs+ X ranked player is like salmon run without the bosses: a loop of splat murders ^^

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, my right joy con keeps wandering. I've tried to clean it and stuff like people have said with a toothbrush. Seemed to help a bit but it keeps happening. Making it really hard to play this game.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the comments.

My main goal is to learn the basics. The game force you to do turf war for a long time and I don't seem to learn anything new at level 9.
Glad to hear that ranked is much better in skill level.

cat_nuzzles

Nov 6, 2017
Ugh, my right joy con keeps wandering. I've tried to clean it and stuff like people have said with a toothbrush. Seemed to help a bit but it keeps happening. Making it really hard to play this game.
Grab yourself some electrical contact cleaner spray. They sell it in lowes/home depot etc. My right stick was wandering so bad and a few sprays of that down the crevice in the stick worked like a charm. Haven't had any issues since then.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
What's your best win ratio, guys?
I hit mine last weekend.

ratiomdj7a.png

What about freshness? Mine is 38 with the Custom Dualie Squelchers.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grab yourself some electrical contact cleaner spray. They sell it in lowes/home depot etc. My right stick was wandering so bad and a few sprays of that down the crevice in the stick worked like a charm. Haven't had any issues since then.

Awesome, I'll give this a shot this weekend. Would be so cool if it fixed it. I have a pro controller but I play handheld a lot, so it really sucks.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
You already got some good advice, so yeah. Do that.

Funnily enough, this happened to me, same Joycon. I just took it to Gamestop and got a new one, lol.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You already got some good advice, so yeah. Do that.

Funnily enough, this happened to me, same Joycon. I just took it to Gamestop and got a new one, lol.

Like they replaced it? Or you traded it in? And yeah lookin around it seems to be a pretty common problem. Bummer. But if the spray cures it I'll be cool.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I recently bought new joycons because my left stick kept drifting. I figured after a year+ and 100s of hours it was pretty beat up, plus I wanted color joycons instead of boring gray. So I got the Splatoon colors which are super bright. But I'll have to try this electrical contact cleaner suggestion.

What's your best win ratio, guys?
I hit mine last weekend.

ratiomdj7a.png

What about freshness? Mine is 38 with the Custom Dualie Squelchers.

Was that via Turf War? I won't say what my best ever was (as a guess even), but with drops and squid party shenanigans winning that many is quite impressive.

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to match make with a buddy online to play with randos but always be on the same team?

Online infratructure still confuses me

Like, i know we can join each other's games when a slot opens up but that doesn't guarantee a pair on the same team.

Oct 26, 2017
It's an unfortunate trek but...

You get to level 10 and unlock ranked.
Then you get to level B- in any of the ranked modes.
Then you can do League battles.

I'd suggest doing Salmon Run sessions in between grinding so you can play together in the mean time.

If your rank drops, are you locked out of league or is the door always open ?

Sorry for all the questions. That's my last one :)

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I recently bought new joycons because my left stick kept drifting. I figured after a year+ and 100s of hours it was pretty beat up, plus I wanted color joycons instead of boring gray. So I got the Splatoon colors which are super bright. But I'll have to try this electrical contact cleaner suggestion.

Was that via Turf War? I won't say what my best ever was (as a guess even), but with drops and squid party shenanigans winning that many is quite impressive.

Yeah, it was via Turf War. I've been farming ability chunks to go back to ranked modes and it just happened. I was really surprised :P

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I had all Knockout wins from C- to B- in Tower Control the other day, think I only lost one match because some player on my team was just jumping in a corner.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I've owned Splatoon 2 pretty much from Launch but I had no idea you could alter the lobby music to go fast or slow using the right stick

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
The victory animations for Octolings are so absurdly cute...

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an upgrade or something that allows you to rapid fire spam curling bombs or was that a hacker?

Sendou

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Thank you guys :) You could say there is two sponsored teams in west with a couple more in Japan but of course this opens a door for other organizations to join in as well.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to Rainmaker X rank! Just need to get Tower Control and then I'm X in all the modes

that matter.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the singleplayer. That final boss took forever! Presentation was top notch though, and I enjoyed all the splatoon 1 references.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you guys :) You could say there is two sponsored teams in west with a couple more in Japan but of course this opens a door for other organizations to join in as well.
Yep congrats' from probably one of your oldest fan on the net (I'm usually, alone, older than all of the opponent team together ^^). I had a game vs Ghost Dude yesterday, wasn't sure it was the Dude (no more "o" in the name) but when I saw his avatar and top 500 crown I knew. 1mn later after the KO I was sure : ]

Just try to find a more sexy name guys, "Ghost" sounds like a Tom Clancy team lol.