• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
The magazine from the Octo Expansion subway will be released next month, kinda like an artbook.

main_45202_300x300.jpg

https://ebten.jp/p/7015018122801

Only available for preorder on ebten right now, which doesn`t seem to ship internationally. If someone see it up on a international-friendly store please ping me (will keep checking amazon jp and cdjapan through the day).

And I'm still waiting for the second artbook to be localized).

edit: up on amazon jp

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The magazine from the Octo Expansion subway will be released next month, kinda like an artbook.

main_45202_300x300.jpg

https://ebten.jp/p/7015018122801

Only available for preorder on ebten right now, which doesn`t seem to ship internationally. If someone see it up on a international-friendly store please ping me (will keep checking amazon jp and cdjapan through the day).

And I'm still waiting for the second artbook to be localized).

I thought Dark Horse would localize the second one but it doesn't appear on their upcoming releases page. I'll just buy it in japanese i think.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, only two N-zaps this time.

My dream of a N-zap 83 with a sprinkler is dead.

Only this weapon to dethrone the Bloblobber as my main.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And the remodels keep coming! This time it's...Blackbelly Skatepark!? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-- Boo at this. I wanted Musselforge Fitness fixed. Hate that freaking map.

After two games, will Tower Control not be a nightmare and Rainmaker finally be feasible on this wretched map!? Like before, it will be MIA starting on the first but will be coming back on 12/5 with patch 4.3.

December rotations posted as well.

Skipper Pavilion Tower Control? FUCK THAT NOISE!!

Oh my god, I want to smash my foot through my phone when I look up my allies and see someone dedicate all their gear abilities to Tenta Missiles. I can't stand seeing Jet Squelchers go Tenacity and then fill the rest with Special Charge or Special Power Up.

Missiles.
Are.
Bad.

They are meant to annoy, not pressure or defend or push because they can't. Stop making builds around them for fuck's sake.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So the "8-ball" ranked mode was just a myth after all? did dataminers just jumped to conclusions after extracting octo-expansion's stuff?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So the "8-ball" ranked mode was just a myth after all? did dataminers just jumped to conclusions after extracting octo-expansion's stuff?
I mean, the 8-Ball mode wasn't a myth, the data for it was there, it was just never fully completed and released for any number of reasons. There's been quite a bit of unfinished data from modes and maps and ideas that the team was testing out but never fully moved forward with. They just decided not to go with it, that doesn't mean the datamine lied or anything.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the remodels keep coming! This time it's...Blackbelly Skatepark!? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-- Boo at this. I wanted Musselforge Fitness fixed. Hate that freaking map.

After two games, will Tower Control not be a nightmare and Rainmaker finally be feasible on this wretched map!? Like before, it will be MIA starting on the first but will be coming back on 12/5 with patch 4.3.

December rotations posted as well.

Skipper Pavilion Tower Control? FUCK THAT NOISE!!

Oh my god, I want to smash my foot through my phone when I look up my allies and see someone dedicate all their gear abilities to Tenta Missiles. I can't stand seeing Jet Squelchers go Tenacity and then fill the rest with Special Charge or Special Power Up.

Missiles.
Are.
Bad.

They are meant to annoy, not pressure or defend or push because they can't. Stop making builds around them for fuck's sake.

good splat zones maps except for kelp dome. kelp zones fucking sucks.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Blackbelly Skatepark redesing seems kinda pointless? Never heard much complains about this map. There were other that needed it more, like Musselforge.

Any new data mining? I guess it's time to lose hope for maps from Splatoon 1 :(

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Global Splatfest is stupid.

Family x Friends

And which period americans do consider as "holiday"? 25/12 until 01/01?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

After seeing 8 Ball physics in Octo Expansion, thank god they decided not to make it into a mode. That would've been a horrific nightmare. I was curious about that Rocket mode but if the devs felt the jank that is Clam Blitz was acceptable and Rocket wasn't, good riddance.

Blackbelly Skatepark redesing seems kinda pointless? Never heard much complains about this map. There were other that needed it more, like Musselforge.

Any new data mining? I guess it's time to lose hope for maps from Splatoon 1 :(

We've basically accepted and made peace with Blackbelly's issues because it's been around for so long but there are two main issues with it:
-Much like Reef pre-remodel the spawn platform is shallow and really close to where the enemy, especially blasters and rollers, can shark and kill players leaving spawn. Expanding the spawn area gives more security to respawning allies, more options to approach mid, and turf to build specials.
-Rainmaker is notoriously and comically stupid on this map, requiring all manner of obstacles added to be quasi-functional. Even then, Rainmaker Blackbelly is a meme that Tournament's and commentators laugh about when it is suggested or happens.

To a lesser extent, Tower Control is also off balance as when the tower reaches the side path it is easy for things to snowball in the pushing team's favor. The side path is narrow with little to no cover or positions that would allow you to attack the players on the tower, there is only one other direction you can flank at which takes forever to reach and can easily be defended by one or two players, and the tower at that point is actually easier to reach for the enemy team than it is for the defending team due to it being a straight path from spawn while defending team has to get past the hills and then through the side alley. The checkpoint system added helped a lot but the map is still meh for this mode.

The main thing about these remodels that helps so much is that it allows the ranked mode objectives to be altered. Reef became considerably better for all modes once it was expanded and shifted where the goals were located.

Also Skipper Pavilion was announced a while ago that it would be the last stage to be added. Remodels seem to have taken their place but no idea how long that's going to keep going. Shellendorf is almost unanimously the most hated map among competitive players and the JPN Twitter is bombarded with comments hating it anytime it mentions stages and is dotted in the comments during patch note posts so there is a strong chance of that getting changed. Considering how these stage remodels are focusing on stages with easy spawn camping Musselforge is a strong candidate for a remodel. If they just change that and alter the Tower Control path on Pavilion I'd be happy.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I lost like 5/10 of the Splat Zones X rank calculation matches, and i ended up still 2250+

Weird.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I am going to join the upcoming Splatfest which is about Family or Friends, since I will be getting the online subscription on the 1st of January next year, which is just in time for the occasion. I would pick Family, but that's on Pearl's side which I don't usually pick.

For the final set of Kensa weapons, I am predicting the following:
- Kensa Mini Splatling: Fizzy Bomb/Suction Bomb Launcher
- Kensa Slosher: Burst Bomb/Booyah Bomb
- Kensa Clash Blaster: Torpedo/Baller
- Kensa Bamboozler: Suction Bomb/Ultra Stamp

Thank you for reading.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Patch 4.3 notes are live.

The two gear brands that favored Cold-Blooded now favor Main Power Up

Mini Splatling / Heavy Splatling / Hydra
-Improved effect of Run Speed Up

Splatcharger (Scope)
-Inkspread on floor made slightly more narrow

Tentabrella (Damn man, get fucking destroyed for some reason)
-Shield reduced endurance by 13%
-Launched shield takes 20% more damage

Autobomb
-Time before it starts chasing reduced by 20 frames

Ink Mine
-Improved effect of Ink Saver Sub

Sprinkler

Point Sensor (That's nice that you keep buffing it Nintendo, but people still aren't going to use it. You need Ecolocator back in Splat 3)
-Reduced ink requirement from 60% -> 55%

Beakon

Fizzy Bomb
-Time before recovering ink extended by 10 frames
-Reduced effect of Ink Saver Sub

Tentamissiles
-Special Power Up increases amount of Ink Spread

Splashdown
-Increased damage to enemy brella shields
*Depending on brella type, damage ranges from x2~x3.2
-Increased damage to Ballers by x2.5

Baller
Increased damage to enemy brella shields
* ranges x3 ~ 4.8

Ultra Stamp (still trash)
-During rush, increased speed of hammer swings resulting in more attacks and improved defense from frontal attacks
-Forward movement during rush increased and improved turning speed

Sting Ray (man, they really hate this special)
-Duration decreased by 35 frames
-Reduced effectiveness of Special Power Up
-Reduced damage to enemy Ink Armor by 56%
-Reduced damage to Baller by 25%
-Reduced bounce back against enemy Baller (will make it easier for baller to push through laser)

Inkjet
-Reduced damage to Ballers by 30%

Run Speed Up
-When used with Splatling type weapons, movement speed during burst fire unchanged but speed during charge increased

Swim Speed Up
-Improved effect when used with heavy type weapons such as E-Litre and Dynamo Roller

Ink Resistance
-When coming in contact with enemy ink, now there is period of time where you take no damage from being in the ink
-No damage period extended when stacking this ability

Thermal Ink
-Extended effect time by 4 seconds (should be 16 total, big deal because it's still terrible at tracking)

Special Gauge changes
Kensa Nozzelnose: 190 -> 180
Kensa Octobrush: 190 -> 180
Kensa Splattershot Jr: 190 -> 200 (Magnet's having fun with the game again? FIX THAT NOW!!)
Splatbrella (Hero Replica): 190 -> 200

Salmon Run Changes
-Fixed a glitch on Marooner's Bay that would cause players to get "snagged" on terrain.
-On Polaris, platforms by some railings reduced and can take damage from Salmonids while on rails
-On Polaris, some rails' endpoints have been lowered and can now be hit by Grillers (it was possible to lure a Griller targeting you by riding a rail and then jumping off the rail to the next, preventing you from ever taking damage. This has been removed now)
-Fixed an issue preventing Steelheads from attacking when near crewmembers.

Kensa Collection 4

52 Gal / Splash Shield / Booyah Bomb (the ugliest gun I've seen in my life)
Glooga Dualies / Fizzy Bomb / Ink Armor
Mini Splatling / Toxic Mist / Ultra Stamp
Rapid Blaster / Torpedo / Baller (Fucking hell, this thing is going to be a monster among monsters)

No mention of what Main Power Up does from what I can see. Awesome...

So I'll never get to try Fizzy Bomb then since I hate every weapon that got it, and I'll try the Stamp out with the Mini Splatling but put it down after I remember, "Oh right, this special is garbage!". That Rapid Blaster is going to be hell. Pure, fucking, hell. It's going to single-handedly cause the Torpedo to be nerfed into the ground next balance patch with how good it's going to be with a freaking BLASTER and a baller to save it if someone gets too close. Holy shit this kit is gross and wrong and broken.

Last edited:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Since the Point Sensor, Squid Beakon, Ink Mine, Sprinkler and I guess Fizzy Bomb already has a 35% max Sub reduction, does that mean the reduction will be 40% for these? If that is the case, the Point Sensor will be the second Sub weapon to allow people to throw 3 in a row (after Burst Bomb) since 40% reduction of 55% is 33%. Not sure if anybody wants to throw 3 of these a once but I guess it's a decent scouting strategy. I do like the Point Sensor because its tracking ability is quite useful for me since I usually wasn't able to clearly see people in ink.

Ink Resistance Up is interesting because it seems like it should be useful but other abilities are deemed better than it, so it never got to see much use. Though with that said I like this ability because reducing ink penalty is very useful for me. Taking no damage sounds useful though.

The Splatlings getting extra perks with Run Speed Up is a very good thing since the two new Splatlings seem to be better than them, the Nautilus holding charge while swimming and the Ballpoint having versatility in range vs shooting speed.

I wonder how Main Power Up affects some weapons. The Splattershot has a jump spread reduction while the Aerospray has an increase in painting, so I wonder what that leaves Splash-o-matic, which has already got pinpoint accuracy and wonderful painting. They might not increase its range because that would make the weapon stronger, so I guess it will only paint further than usual, both in front and back. The Slosher is another weapon where I wonder how it changes, and I am going to guess it's going to be a damage increase like the roller which would be not bad.

Thank you for reading.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not listing how Main Power Up works for everything is such a bad sign, since there's no way in hell that they say what it does in game. This change is going to be such a mess. At least the new rapid blaster sounds great.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with splashdown dealing more to ballers and brellas.

And i'm completely fine with the nerf to sting ray, shit was getting out of control.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
That Kensa Rapid is frightening.

On the plus side...Kensa Gal. I really didn't think they would do it, but they finally made a Kensa weapon for a weapon type that I actually normally use. It sounds kind of reminiscent of the first game's OG .52 Gal. Finally a new weapon that I can legitimately look forward to using! It's been so long!

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Kensa Rapid is frightening.

On the plus side...Kensa Gal. I really didn't think they would do it, but they finally made a Kensa weapon for a weapon type that I actually normally use. It sounds kind of reminiscent of the first game's OG .52 Gal. Finally a new weapon that I can legitimately look forward to using! It's been so long!

you still clash blastin'

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Still don't understand the appeal of Smash. It's just cacophonous mayhem. Splatoon 2 is an actual decent game concept.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still don't understand the appeal of Smash. It's just cacophonous mayhem. Splatoon 2 is an actual decent game concept.

It's not difficult to understand. Non-conventional fighting game, easy to jump into, difficult to master, probably the largest roster ever, tons of beloved characters from several game companies, great alone or with people, it's amazing.

Splatoon is good, but the game is still severely unbalanced and needs a lot more polish to compare to something like smash.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Just as I was getting comfortable again with the Sting Ray, it gets nerfed :(

Does anyone still play Turf Wars or are you guys still Rank only? I stopped ranked battles once I reached S+ in every mode cause I don't enjoy being so competitive, it's too stressful for me :P

I'm going to miss seeing you guys post your impressions once you focus on Smash. I've learned A LOT. I'm getting Smash too, but I know I'll only play for a couple of hours and that's it (happened with Brawl, 3DS and Wii U... I haven't been into Smash since Melee). I just can't stop playing Splatoon, despite the huge backlog and all the new releases.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I too stopped ranked once I got to S+ on all modes. First I planned to wait until paid online came to save us from connection shenanigans (cough), but since then I'm happy with turf and salmon (also backlog). ~Next year~ I'll jump back.

Wish I could solo-queue League. Sometimes I just feel like playing for 10-15 minutes and seems silly to call up someone just for that.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
you still clash blastin'
Yes! Maybe not as much as I used to, but it's still in my rotation of "main" weapons. The stuff I've been mostly focusing on using, both vanilla and variant kits:
Clash Blaster, Heavy Splatling, Flingza Roller, N-Zap, and more recently the .52 Gal and .96 Gal now that the latter has its bullets back. You can see why the Kensa kits so far haven't really fired me up. :P

Any ideas how long till the update?
Since this wasn't explicitly answered yet, assuming this goes by standard updating times this should go live just before 9pm Eastern time, or 8-ish hours from now.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Since this wasn't explicitly answered yet, assuming this goes by standard updating times this should go live just before 9pm Eastern time, or 8-ish hours from now.
Well, that lines up with Blackbelly's appearance in Ranked at that time, but it's weird that it's not also appearing in Turf War.

Mreow

Oct 27, 2017
Dear diary. Today i got my first S rank in something. It was the Rainmaker, and im aiming for splat zones next. After i forced myself to get used to motion controls i feel like everything else is boring. Clam Blitz will forever be my great nemesis tho.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Question for those who already updated the game:
- What does Main Power Up do for every weapon? If you can't name all the weapons, at least mention what it does for all Blasters, all Sloshers, Splash-o-matic, and Sploosh-o-matic.
- How much ink is saved for Ink Saver (Sub) for Sub weapons affected by it: Ink Mine, Squid Beakon, Point Sensor, Sprinkler and Fizzy Bomb? If you could, check if you can throw 3 Point Sensors after maxing out on Ink Saver (Sub).
- Do your Drink Tickets and Ability Chunks for Bomb Defence Up and Cold-Blooded get summed after the Bomb Defence Up DX update?

Thank you for reading.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ALL Dualies - Increases Damage
ALL Rollers - Increases Damage
ALL Brushes - Slightly increases movement speed while inking
Sploosh - Increases Damage
Splattershot Jr. - Increases Ink Coverage
Aerospray - Increases Ink Coverage
Splattershot - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
.52 Gal - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
Nzap - Increases Ink Coverage
Splash-o-Matic - Increases Damage
Splattershot Pro - Increases Damage
.96 Gal - Increases Damage
Jet Squelcher - Slightly Increases Range
Luna Blaster - Increases High-damage radius of explosions
Blaster - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
Range Blaster - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
Clash Blaster - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
Rapid Blaster - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
Rapid Blaster Pro - Increases Shot Accuracy when firing while jumping
L-3 Nozzlenose - Increases Damage
H-3 Nozzlenose - Increases Damage
Squeezer - Increases Damage
Squiffer - Slightly Increases Range
Splat Charger - Increases Damage
E-Liter - Slightly Increases Range
Bamboozler - Increases Damage
Goo Tuber - Increases Damage
Slosher - Increases Maximum Damage
Tri-Slosher - Increases Ink Coverage
Sloshing Machine - Increases Ink Coverage
Bloblobber - Increases Ink Coverage
Heavy Splatling - Increases duration of firing in a burst
Hydra Splatling - Increases Damage
Mini Splatling - Increases duration of firing in a burst
Ballpoint - Increases Damage
Nautilus - Increases duration of firing in a burst
Splat Brella - Speeds up Brella canopy regeneration
Tenta Brella - Increases Brella canopy durability
Undercover Brella - Speeds up Brella canopy regeneration

Jesus, it may as well just be damage up. What a fucking mess

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure about what they did to Blackbelly, at least on these first couple clam blitz matches. They managed to make it possible to get camped in spawn despite moving spawn farther away and the inkline seems worthless and unneeded

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really really really hate they gave Dualies more damage. Maybe I am bitter because all Sloshers got was frickin' inking and fall off damage, perhaps I was expecting too much. I like the blasters changes, they make sense to me.

- Do your Drink Tickets and Ability Chunks for Bomb Defence Up and Cold-Blooded get summed after the Bomb Defence Up DX update?

Yes, they got combined. I have 420 Bomb/Cold chunks now and 61 drink tickets. Crazy.

May 1, 2018
I'm... kinda okay with damage up, without defense up. With defense up it becomes an arms race/pre-battle guessing game of "how many points of damage up and how many points of defense up do I think my opponents will have"

Hey my N-Zap could paint even better now. That might be useful... maybe even worth replacing Last-Ditch Effort outside of Turf War. Wait, I have points of Special Power Up, don't I... I can just replace those.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
A: 1.0 -> 0.8 (Burst Bomb)
B: 1.0 -> 0.7 (Auto Bomb, Toxic Mist)
C: 1.0 -> 0.65 (Splat Bomb, Suction Bomb, Curling Bomb, Splash Wall, Torpedo)
D: 1.0 -> 0.6 (Ink Mine, Squid Beakon, Point Sensor, Sprinkler and Fizzy Bomb)
E: 1.0 -> 0.5
F: 1.0 -> 1.0

So if the Ink Saver (Sub) levels are correct, where you use 60% of the current ink level for certain Sub weapons, does that mean that you can throw 3 Point Sensors if you stack the Sub? After all Point Sensor now consumes 55% of ink, so it is 33% if it's stacked, which is enough for 3 of them.

Interestingly, there is a new Ink Saver (Sub) level that uses 1/2 of the consumption, but none of the Sub weapons are affected. I can see a couple of Sub weapons using this level down the line, particularly Squid Beakon and possibly Sprinkler, since neither are primarily used offensively.

Thank you for reading.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a joke after all.

English Patch Notes

Hate that dualies deal more damage but it was either that or improved dodge rolls and I'll gladly take damage over roll spammers being rewarded even more for their scrubbiness. They already fire super fast with high damage and bigger than average bullets so it'll feel the same to me. Definitely want to make a pure hat or shoes of it since it gives more unique abilities for some of my used weapons like Jet Squelcher and Ballpoint needed a damage boost BAD. Now that I don't have to waste gear slots on futile attempts to make Inkjet work for me in latency, I have a lot of free spaces to put MPU on.

BTW, Splatnet shop on the phone app has a nice Forge Headphone with a main of Main Power Up and favors Special Power Up if you want to get your hands on the new perk right away. I'm also going to farm Salmon Run for a while tonight. New weapon / Patch night is always hell in Ranked.

I'm kicking myself for thinking that the increased speed on Ultra Stamp might have been improved to the point that it would slightly matter. It should either have been a single directional shockwave or you spin the hammer instead of this extremely situational and vulnerable slow to kill travesty. For the second special focused entirely on getting kills after Inkjet (which kills from a distance, has smaller hitbox, and faster movement) they gave it so many vulnerabilities and limitations. They were clearly so caught up in making it "balanced" with drawbacks and options they forgot to make it "good". Bubbles are versitile in how they are used and what they can do while still being "good". Simple is better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man these splat devs

first they take burst bomb rush out of the game, then they give it to a fucking bamboozler and that's it. they're cool with curling bomb rush, auto bomb rush, all kind of fuckery, but nope, phanphare can't get burst bomb rush on anything unless it's a bamboozler. oh you were a vanilla splatty main in splat 1? here's splashdown instead, enjoy. then they start handing out damage up like it's candy but they can't give little ol' phanphare some damage up for rapid blasters. cowards! the lot of them!

I'm mostly kidding

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And brushes still need 4 swings to splat anything, couldn't they boost the damage a bit? Smh.