• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for that ban on people that don't use their specials in Salmon Run...

Any time now...

Another piece of gear in Splatnet with Main Power Up. I think this is going to go for a while so check the shop often.

Last edited:

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna walk back what I said about the Custom Explosher. The Point Sensors are kind of good on the weapon? I know it's weird to say about a Point Sensor, but it does help the Explosher come back in when falling behind. I feel like the main weapon is waaaay better at front-running and has trouble tracking people down when getting locked out. They've been good at constantly annoying the other team while staying at a same distance exploshing away at them. Fun game manager kind of weapon. The Baller is a great punish too.

Granted, it needs like 25+ points of Sub Power Up to get past the throw range out of the distance of the Explosher, though. Not sure how necessary it is, but the original distance was the same as the shot distance. Seemed like you would want bigger sensor range.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Still waiting for that ban on people that don't use their specials in Salmon Run...

Any time now...

Another piece of gear in Splatnet with Main Power Up. I think this is going to go for a while so check the shop often.
Apparently it was said somewhere, the Japanese Twitter perhaps, that new gear featuring Main Power Up as the main ability is going to be constantly added through the Annie store from now through like December 9th. So...there won't be any shortage of gear floating around with main power for long.

This patch makes me sad.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only got the headphones and shirt, but ordered some shoes from someone in the lobby (where are they getting these?? I checked the stores and none of them have any Main Power gear) and am labbing the changes to Ballpoint and looks like I only need 1 main to optimize it. It's a four shot kill so no matter how much Main Power used the max damage is fixed at 33.3 but at the drop off thresholds of 24 and 16 base damage (5 & 7 hit kills) 1 main of Main Power is enough to jump them up to 29.7 and 16.9; both high enough to kill one shot faster. 2 mains doesn't boost the damage high enough (31.1 and 17.7) to drop another shot so going three to *maybe* get there isn't worth it. I still need to Special Charge to get Ink Storm faster as that's a fantastic special for Ballpoint and I still need to put on a pure Run Speed.

Ideally three subs will be enough to get similar results, then I can use Tenacity w/ 3 subs Special Charge, try Thermal Ink again (it'll help me know where to throw the Ink Storm after tagging and maybe the extra four seconds will be helpful...), and then a pure of Run Speed. Otherwise I'll try 1 main of Main Power and six subs of Run Speed.

Edit: Ooooooh, that's how you guys found out what Main Power Up does per weapon so fast. Going to the equip screen and then checking the info on the gear tells what Main Power does. Derp.

Last edited:

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Well, shop gear is random for each player. Got me some MPU shoes there earlier (the yellow slides with socks, a fashion favourite).

And Pink Trainers with MPU is live on Anniezon now.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Welp. Last night was a mess. I feel Main Power Up will really break the balance. Two hours after the update was up and I was already seeing people with a bunch of MPU as main PLUS the 3 subs. HOW?!

QKQj17Z.jpg

The nerf to Sting Ray is VERY noticeable. The increased range to the Squelcher felt great [so far], tho.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I am conceptually against anything which changes main weapon damage levels but if that's what Main Power Up does then I guess I better test it out to stay competitive. Probably gonna start by trying it on lower damage weapons like Gold Aerospray in Turf War.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Not all weapons get damage buff from MPU. Aerospray doesn't for one (Dyle posted a list some posts above).

Been swapping weapons to test on Turf War today while wearing 1 main sub power up, 1 main special up, 1 main MPU. Slosher deco, gold aerospray, kensa splattershot, L3 nozzenose, 2 types of Jr. Did well with all of them. So far so good with the new ability type ^_^

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
JPN Twitter posts the December Splatfest. A collaboration theme with Smash Bros on December 15-16 (14-15 in NA).

Who do you pick? Heroes or Villains?

It hasn't stated that it's a worldwide one or just Japan but, c'mon, it's Smash Bros themed. It's gonna be worldwide. But I protest classifying King Dedede as a villain! He has outnumbered his one time as the villain in Kirby's Dreamland with world-saving acts in numerous games after that and he was the secret hero of Subspace Emissary! He is a prankster at best.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This new Ballpoint is the TRUTH, son!

Tenacity is fucking garbage. I get more special from us not having control of the objective than that thing.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I have become so accustomed to the Squelcher that now I'm a little afraid of trying/going back to short range weapons :P

1 main = 10 AP
1 sub = 3 AP
Right?
I guess I'd need to farm A LOT of MPU to really get extra benefits, right?
Distance = 33.6 du/f x 5 frames = 168 distance units
If it goes to 36.44 (the max), then it covers 182.2 du.

How much AP or how many MPU pins would you recommend?

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, we're getting ver.4.3.1 on the 18th!
Hey, it's filled with nerfs for the few weapons I'm having any sort of success or fun with!

Mainly buffs /nerfs to Main Power Up. Who would've guessed throwing a new perk out of no where would be rocky as shit?

Sploosh O Matic
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased damage from +20% to +25%)

Aerospray
+Improved effect of MPU with fewer amounts used

Squeezer
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased damage from +20% to +30%)
*Damage from shots during rapid fire mode unchanged

Splatroller
+During vertical swings, extended 40 damage range by 11%
*100 and 50 damage ranges unchanged

Inkbrush
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased paint run speed form 4% to 5%)

Octobrush
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased paint run speed from 10% to 12%)

E-Liter (Scope)
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased range from 3% to 5%)

Tri-Slosher
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has increased paint spread in center of spray from 20% to 25%)

Mini-Splatling
+Improved effect of MPU
(Increased max burst duration from 30% to 35%)

Undercover Brella
+Improved effect of MPU
(Max effect has decreased shield repair time from 33% to 44%)
+Improved effect of MPU with fewer amoutns used

Hydra
-Reduced effect of MPU
(Amount needed for uncharged shots to reach 33.3 damage has been changed from 0.9 to 1.5)
(Subs grant 0.3 effect of 1 main, so from 3 subs you need 5 subs or 1 main and 2 subs)
(Full charged shot damage unchanged)

Ballpoint
-Reduced effect of Run Speed Up
-Reduced effect of MPU
(Amount needed for shots to reach 33.3 damage has been changed from 0.9 to 1.5)
(Subs grant 0.3 effect of 1 main, so from 3 subs you need 5 subs or 1 main and 2 subs)

Splatdualies
-Reduced effect of MPU
(Amount needed for shots to reach 33.3 damage has been changed from 2.0 to 3.2)
(Subs grant 0.3 effect of 1 main, so from 2 mains you need 3 mains and 2 subs)

Fizzy Bomb
-Paint spread of 2nd explosion reduced by 15%
-Paint spread of 3rd explosion reduced by 21%

Torpedo
-Ink required increased from 60% to 65%
-Buckshot from a detonated Torpedo's damage reduced from 18 to 12
+Damage dealt to Bubble Blower increased by 50%
(The result of the two above changes, damage dealt to Bubble Blower by Torpedo remains the same)

Bubble Blower
-Damage radius of 250 damage reduced by 8%
-Duration of bubbles reduced by 6 seconds

Special Point changes
------------------------------------
Explosher Deco: 180 - 190
Hydra Custom: 180 - 190
Ballpoint Nouveau: 190 - 200

Ranked Mode Changes
-------------------------------------
+When making teams in X Rank, there will be two new metrics applied
1) Players with Crown ranks will not be as likely to be on the same team
2) Shooter or Roller class weapons will not be as likely to be grouped on the same team (Not saying shooters will not be paired with rollers, but saying that it should be less likely for a team of three rollers on one team or three shooters on the same team. Three is just a number I picked, no mention of it in notes)

And then loads of bugfixes for everything else.

Finally got the good Ballpoint in the last fucking weapon batch like they forgot they ever added the damn thing, nerf it! Finally got a good Splattershot Jr, nerf it and nerf it again!

Between this patch of nerfs and seeing Smash Ultimate's patch notes are going to continue the bullshit "Stuff was changed, figure out what yourself you worthless scum!", I'm feeling really defeated right now...

I haven't even gotten a single drink ticket or chunks for Main Power up and I've played every session of Salmon Run this month.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I bought the Switch for Smash last friday, and I took Splatoon 2 because I liked the chara design. But now I'm addicted ! This is going to replace Overwatch for me as my main multiplayer game!
As I'm 100% new to this, please tell me what's the benefits of Amiibo? I want either the orange inkling girl or the Pearl and Marina box (I'm going to fanart these two all day long!). Do they unlock costumes?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I bought the Switch for Smash last friday, and I took Splatoon 2 because I liked the chara design. But now I'm addicted ! This is going to replace Overwatch for me as my main multiplayer game!
As I'm 100% new to this, please tell me what's the benefits of Amiibo? I want either the orange inkling girl or the Pearl and Marina box (I'm going to fanart these two all day long!). Do they unlock costumes?

The Splatoon amiibos unlock costumes (a hat, shirt and shoes each) and songs for the rhythm game (except for the Off the Hook amiibos, which unlock skins for the rhythm game instead of new songs). Also you can save loadouts to them. And take photos in the only thing close to a photo mode we have here.

You can check the unlocks here: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Amiibo

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I am not content with these BP changes, no sir. I am ESPECIALLY not happy with MPU being nerfed with BP so that now I need to run more to regain the 33.3 dmg, and I am VERY LIVID about the RSU changes with BP. WTF Nintendo?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The Splatoon amiibos unlock costumes (a hat, shirt and shoes each) and songs for the rhythm game (except for the Off the Hook amiibos, which unlock skins for the rhythm game instead of new songs). Also you can save loadouts to them. And take photos in the only thing close to a photo mode we have here.

You can check the unlocks here: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Amiibo

Thanks!
I got the On the Hook set on my way home!

dcuevne-425081ae-74f3-42c9-b5a4-c1612672e48c.jpg

I hope the series live forever, that's the most interesting chara designs I've seen from Nintendo.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This has been a suckish experience so far. My team (Villain) sucks and this Shifty Station sucks.

I've done okay but my team lets me down which amounts to the same thing :-/

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me like Red/Hero is the popular team this time around. Getting tons of mirror matches. Got stomped the few times I got matched up with the Blue/Villains team.

Got to Hero Queen with a 21-12 record. I felt really outmatched by Team Villain most of the time (aside from a 10x battle which we somehow managed to win in the last minute or so).

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with Splatoon 2. Unbalanced to the extreme and unfun to play. The only times I bother now is for Splatfests, which means I'm always rusty, which exacerbates the problem. I think a bunch of weapon types are fundamentally broken and need to be completely rethought or just cut entirely.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Woo! Better Saturday than Friday night, went 6 and 1 in the placement matches for a rating of 2210, my all-time highest.

Still dislike this Shifty Station though. Too chaotic.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I haven't played much the past couple months and I'm terrible. I got put with a group where I manged 6 splats, whereas my teammates managed a total of zero! (And there were no disconnections.) Eh, when the shifty station is boring, and 7 of 10 matches are Hero vs. Hero, I'm not feeling this one. Though I can't wait for that winter fest! I'll practice before then...

May 1, 2018
This Shifty Station is good. Open, speedramps, have to keep your eyes open.

...Also, Turf War is the only mode where the weapons are really unbalanced. Maybe you don't want to take a Blaster into Clam Blitz for similar reasons as TW, but TW is so extreme on how important painting is over fighting or positioning that brushes, rollers, blasters get left in the dust. It's the mode.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about you guys, but damn near all of my matches have been incredibly one-sided in favor of team villain.

The only time I've had remotely balanced matches is when it's Hero vs Hero.

I don't even know how we won this one.
HbylU0R.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This splatfest felt really grindy, I ended up at 15-18 which is the worst I've done in a splatfest in a long time, but at least these Don't Park on the Grass pools make for good background material. At least the shifty station was one of my favorites ever.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I don't know about you guys, but damn near all of my matches have been incredibly one-sided in favor of team villain.

The only time I've had remotely balanced matches is when it's Hero vs Hero.

I don't even know how we won this one.
HbylU0R.png

There was one I had today where the enemy had the clear advantage in kills but they neglected to ink their half of the map while we were more thorough and won. Sometimes nobody's doing the gruntwork necessary to secure a turf-war win, you get teams where everyone wants to be rambo and they might be good enough to take that role, but not so good that they can completely run the board and keep the enemy boxed in.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I decided to use the Kensa Mini-Splatling this Splatfest because I'm not going to stress myself using my good weapons when I have aerosprays going 2-15, 0-11 (0-11!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? WHAT ARE YOU-- not going to stress), so I got a lot of time with the hammer. I've been pretty harsh on the hammer since it came out but after using it for so long this session, you know what? I think I was wrong about it.

I wasn't harsh enough.

Oct 25, 2017
A repeat of last game's Autobots vs. Decepticons Splatfest.

Marina even had some famous villain lines for the occasion.

Also, the next Splatfest will be announced on Friday (12/21).

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remember to pick up your snails kind of quick this time because they're going to be announcing that special Holiday Splatfest pretty soon and when they do you'll lose access to whatever snails you earned this time.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game worth jumping in now for a first timer? Been itching to play something to break up Smash and use my Switch more

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Patch 4.3.1 is live and so are the English notes.

There was an update and correction made to the Splatroller section of the notes. There was actually a change related to drop off damage, not damage ranges like previously noted. Splatroller mains should review.

The new buff to Mini Splatling's Main Power Up is really noticeable now and it feels a lot more consistent, but that might just be luck as it can go sour real quick. Still hate Main Power Up and wish it was gone from the game like it was a save deleting bug, but gotta let the devs have their easy mode balance patches rather than fix problems in weapons.

I'm opening my map and every time now there are 7-11 Main Power Up icons on the enemy team display every game. And then there's a bunch on my team as well. It's so fucking stupid. They should have come up with actual improvements to the weapons instead of damage up and if they couldn't then, hey, maybe don't add the gear ability to the game without some kind of counter or offset to it, yeah? Nah.

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Patch 4.3.1 is live and so are the English notes.

There was an update and correction made to the Splatroller section of the notes. There was actually a change related to drop off damage, not damage ranges like previously noted. Splatroller mains should review.

The new buff to Mini Splatling's Main Power Up is really noticeable now and it feels a lot more consistent, but that might just be luck as it can go sour real quick. Still hate Main Power Up and wish it was gone from the game like it was a save deleting bug, but gotta let the devs have their easy mode balance patches rather than fix problems in weapons.

I'm opening my map and every time now there are 7-11 Main Power Up icons on the enemy team display every game. And then there's a bunch on my team as well. It's so fucking stupid. They should have come up with actual improvements to the weapons instead of damage up and if they couldn't then, hey, maybe don't add the gear ability to the game without some kind of counter or offset to it, yeah? Nah.
I feel the same. I HATE MPU. It unbalanced the game even more and it doesn't really fix any weapons (in a balanced way).

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
As a fairly casual player, is the new Main Power Up going to be a requirement going forward? It seems like something you will always want on your gear, or am I overthinking things?

I'm opening my map and every time now there are 7-11 Main Power Up icons on the enemy team display every game. And then there's a bunch on my team as well. It's so fucking stupid.

Time to pack it in, it's been a good run Splatoon 2.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Frosty Fest announcement was just too sweet.

Also I force disconnected from a solo Salmon shift and got the 5 minute banhammer, yay. So glad to see solo shifts are still a thing (...)

Last edited: