• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Cleared my first Hazard MAX with randoms tonight! Was really excited when we pulled it off. We got kind of an easy draw, with Grillers in both Wave 1 and 3, and in the middle normal wave, all 4 of us had Grizzco Chargers. Randoms have trouble coordinating on Lost Outpost Grillers sometimes, but this crew handled them without creating much danger. According to the app, we killed 19/23 grillers between the two rounds... Yeesh, that was a lot of grillers.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I blame Smash.

----

Happy new year, folks.

Also salmon gear for the month:

995412c71614020526595d9dbc64bd593d780fcf.png

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are things better now? Did MPU messed the balance? I guess nobody uses brushes anymore...

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say MPU wrecked the balance but it has made an impact to it, however not in an intelligent or interesting way. Because so many weapons get damage boost from it instead of unique enhancements and there is no drawback to using them or defense against them, those kits have been coming out in force and everyone is scrambling to get as much MPU on their gear. No one cares about slightly increase paint spread or extending range by 1 or 2% when maxing out the ability, not when they can get kills in three and sometimes two shots with other weapons if the enemy is in the slightest bit of ink. Only Splatlings get worthwhile benefit from MPU with their increased burst time of the weapons that don't get damage up, imo. So for the most part it kind of feels the same but you're dying more and you need to stack MPU so your weapon can keep up with the enemies' MPU stacking. The most tangible change is Ballpoint and Hydra are everywhere now (although they were pretty common before, honestly) dealing so much damage from so far away. The best counter to them that isn't another Ballpoint or Hydra are Torpedoes, so they have been showing up a lot more. Especially the Kensa Undercover after the Kensa Jr has been getting nerfed.

In a way it has helped in that proper reads, flanks and aim are being rewarded more as you're more likely to get the kill or trade. But again that only applies to weapons that get the damage buff. Other weapons need to work harder to survive now in my experience.

I still see an okay amount of brushes especially in Clam Blitz as usual, but MPU isn't doing anything for them. It's not like they're easy to hit when running anyway so people don't notice the speed increase when they throw bombs at brushes or kill them at a distance when they start swinging.

On the bright side, the nerfs to Stingray have made it not such a "GG Beam" for Tower Control and Rainmaker. It's still really good but now it's like 80% successful instead of the 98% it was before.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The special Splatfest has already started in Japan and the Shifty Station is terrifying this time.

It's grillers.
With candles on their heads.
There's four, two for each team and they constantly patrol their sides of the map painting and chasing people who try to push.

Last edited:

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Ok guys I have a problem to understand how points are distributed in solo rank, pro.

Last week I was playing solo and my son was also playing solo next to me (2 switch/monitors in the same room), both in rank x. We did have one match in the same team, that we won. My problem is that he got x2 more points than me (11 vs 5 pts) and I can't understand how/why when:
- We're in the same team
- I did more kills, better ratio, more paint, more specials
- He's ranked better in solo x (100 pts above my rank) so the performance was bigger for me.

So how can he receives more points from this win? It doesn't make sense to me.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok guys I have a problem to understand how points are distributed in solo rank, pro.

Last week I was playing solo and my son was also playing solo next to me (2 switch/monitors in the same room), both in rank x. We did have one match in the same team, that we won. My problem is that he got x2 more points than me (11 vs 5 pts) and I can't understand how/why when:
- We're in the same team
- I did more kills, better ratio, more paint, more specials
- He's ranked better in solo x (100 pts above my rank) so the performance was bigger for me.

So how can he receives more points from this win? It doesn't make sense to me.
Honestly I don't know how the points are handled.

I think it does prioritize how much you pushed the objective and prevented the enemy from doing so, which is why the game tracks number of people you kill in Zone and on the Tower. I had a round of Tower Control where I was the only person on the tower while the rest of the team got kills and got 40 points for it. Same for a Rainmaker where we got a clean push from center to goal and got 43 for it.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's no freaking way that family is the more popular side.

I'm never going to get over what a fucking grind splatfests are. Goddamn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If I buy Splatoon 2 now, will I be able to pick a side and participate in the splatfest?

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
I swear the splatfest balance is one player who is awake on each team, it's just the enemy awake player is consistently rank X and on mine it's me.
There needs to be a dumbasses only lobby or I'll never break like 20% splatfest win rate.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Had a bit of a hot streak so ended on 28/16 Fam. Nautilus Gold is pretty fun but I wish I could've used my Main Power Up shirt. Had to use a pure Swim Speed hat and drop roller shoes.

Did have 7, yes 7 10x battles! And lost all of them except for the last one! God damn this game and the insane skill gap on some of these rounds. They really should base your initial power on your average Ranked mode levels or something.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Team Fam here. I've had a lot of Fam fights (as you do) and it's far more popular on my friends list (which says a lot about me and my friends list).

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
No one actually wants to admit they don't want to spend time with their family.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the theme of the shifty station but it makes for a very campy map. They really needed to have a way to get on the middle platform on the left side, as is it's so easy to cover the steps on the right. It almost makes the grillers pointless

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
21-14 for Team Fam. Actually got on a pretty decent 6 game win streak at one point but lost my 10x battle unfortunately...

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yeeesh, it took like three tries to connect to a match for the first time and when it finally started I was the only one on my team and there were only two players on the other team. Never seen anything like that or had any real connection issues on my end before. I haven't played in like a month but I can't imagine the playerbase has dropped off that much lol, is there something weird going on with the splatfest today?

The framerate in the plaza was also way worse than I've ever seen, but that's probably from all the new stuff and effects I guess.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to see here...

At least I finally had a family vs friends match to see oh yeah, that is gold. Ish.

Last edited:

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Team Fam here. Out of the twenty something battles I've had only about seven or eight were against Team Friends.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Team Friends (although my honest answer is family, holidays are for family when you live apart from them like I do). Went 4:3 in the placement matches for Pro, otherwise rolling along pretty well in the regular matches.

I feel like this Shifty Station is basically all or nothing. Either your team controls the middle or it doesn't, so most matches I've been on, win or lose, the winner's at about 55% and the loser at about 40 with very similar looking maps.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to dedicate the rest of my life to answering this one riddle:

After four years, two games, dozens of patches and almost unanimous consensus, casually and competitively, on Aerosprays being the worst weapons in the game,

why do people keep using them? Are they aware they can change weapons by pressing the + button? They have to know or else they wouldn't be able to change off the Splattershot Jr (which by the way, is infinitely better in every regard than both Aerospray kits). Is it for the memes? Or do they think the constant badmouthing and lack of popularity of the Aerospray is a challenge and the Aerospray inexplicably has some potential that no one has discovered after all this time?

Do they think they're so phenomenal with it that they'll undo the past four years? Do they see that history and go, "nay, sir! I will not go gently into that good night and use literally ANY other gun in the game that has better paint, kill speed, and kits and stick to my aerospray guns until I die; typically 8+ times per 3 minutes with no kills of my own. Once the world sees me in action they'll go 'I thought Aerosprays were bad too, until C_Witch took the field with the Gold Aerospray and bravely --PROUDLY in fact, got killed walking forward toward a hydra that was opening fire at them and fed the enemy special and turf!'"

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I want to dedicate the rest of my life to answering this one riddle:

After four years, two games, dozens of patches and almost unanimous consensus, casually and competitively, on Aerosprays being the worst weapons in the game,

why do people keep using them? Are they aware they can change weapons by pressing the + button? They have to know or else they wouldn't be able to change off the Splattershot Jr (which by the way, is infinitely better in every regard than both Aerospray kits). Is it for the memes? Or do they think the constant badmouthing and lack of popularity of the Aerospray is a challenge and the Aerospray inexplicably has some potential that no one has discovered after all this time?

Do they think they're so phenomenal with it that they'll undo the past four years? Do they see that history and go, "nay, sir! I will not go gently into that good night and use literally ANY other gun in the game that has better paint, kill speed, and kits and stick to my aerospray guns until I die; typically 8+ times per 3 minutes with no kills of my own. Once the world sees me in action they'll go 'I thought Aerosprays were bad too, until C_Witch took the field with the Gold Aerospray and bravely --PROUDLY in fact, got killed walking forward toward a hydra that was opening fire at them and fed the enemy special and turf!'"
I remember people saying that Aerosprays were one of the best weapons in Splatoon 1.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people saying that Aerosprays were one of the best weapons in Splatoon 1.
Closest that's ever been said is they were better in Splatoon 1. And they were because they painted so much. They were the king of thorough inking, but they were always terrible at getting kills or escaping. When Splatoon 2 came out and massively nerfed painting ability across the board, aerosprays were not even good at painting anymore. The Jr and N-Zap alone completely outclass them in paint, kit synergy, and kill power.

Even in S1 they had terrible kits with the Seeker and Ink Mine. The closest to a normal, functional kit was the PG with Burst Bomb and Kraken, but any kit with Kraken was solid since Kraken was such and effective panic button. In that case, it was the special carrying the weapon instead of supporting it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

I remember the very beginning of Splatoon 1 (not the testfire, skipped that) that the Gold Aerospray was the supreme weapon because it was the one that unlocked at level 20 and was the first kit to have Inkstrike. So there's a certain allure to it similar to the gold dynamo roller.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Friends 'till the end!

I didn't end up making it to King because it ended earlier than I thought it did. I joined team Friends because we had my grandpa's memorial service this weekend so I have had enough family for a long time, especially since it was so soon after christmas. I went 12-15 so unlike Ike I wasn't really fighting for my friends. Maybe it was because I asked my sister what she thought of Pearl and she said she looked like a troll doll

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. Just like in real life, family let me down...

Also, I don't know if the bloblobber is over powered, but they do significantly change the dynamic of a battle. And not for the better.