• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo knows what's good for them they'll keep adding content until splatoon 3 is announced.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The real update we need is more ink colors for ranked. I want that cherry lemonade color dangit!

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
My Ranked progress:
- For Tower Control I am still at 7/10, so I need to complete it before the month is over (to see if I get to stay in X Rank)
- Rainmaker is not in a good position, as I am still in S+3. The Kensa Splattershot hasn't been working out for me, and when using Clash Blaster Neo I wish I had Quick Respawn because I don't splat a lot of opponents but several assists.
- Clam Blitz is not too bad as I got back up to S+3, and I am going to persist with Slosher Deco since this is probably my best weapon, after that Kensa Splattershot Jr. hasn't been working out for me.

Here's a push that I am happy with, especially because it's a second push and we managed to get almost the same score as the first one.

-----

I hope the Soda Slosher has a very useful kit. This is my most reliable weapon even though the original Slosher has Tenta Missiles, so I hope the third variant is very versatile yet different from the other two. Several people predicted that it would have an Inkjet, which is probably one of the harder Specials for me to use.

It would be funny if both the Permanent Inkbrush and the Aerospray PG gets both new post-release Subs and Specials, talking about Fizzy Bomb and Torpedo for Sub, and Booyah Bomb and Ultra Stamp for Special. I think the main issue about both weapons is that painting is pretty much the best advantage they have, so having two

My prediction for the kits, with the assumption that they will use Sub + Special combinations that have not been used before (which is essentially what most of Sheldon's Picks ended up with):
- Sploosh-o-matic 7: Splat Bomb + Ultra Stamp
- Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose: Torpedo + Inkstorm
- N-Zap '83: Fizzy Bomb + Baller
- Aerospray PG: Fizzy Bomb + Ultra Stamp
- Grim Range Blaster: Torpedo + Sting Ray
- Permanent Inkbrush: Torpedo + Booyah Bomb
- Fresh Squiffer: Suction Bomb + Booyah Bomb
- Bamboozler 14 Mk-III: Burst Bomb + Ultra Stamp
- Soda Slosher: Fizzy Bomb + Bubble Blower
- Heavy Splatling Remix: Point Sensor + Booyah Bomb

My predictions are operating under the assumption that we will see 3 more weapons with the new Subs and Specials, even though a number of weapons here are already pretty good (namely the Slosher and the Heavy Splatling).

Thank you for reading.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the Fizzy Bomb? Feels like it takes too long to charge for not enough payoff.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the best subs in the game for prolonged area damage, it paints like CRAZY, it leaves an easy to use ink trail just like Curling Bomb and it has a low ink cost.

It's amazing and if anything it's probably going to get nerfed.

Are you wiggling the stick or jumping when charging? Because it charges in like half a second if you do that.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My fucking Ballpoint. Fucking god. Why do I even bother.

The translation didn't note from what I saw that Kelp Dome got slight remodels for all modes. Splat Zones area has been altered and a new slope at spawn, with Tower / Rainmaker / Clam get different spawn locations. Not on the high rise platform anymore?

Ultra Stamp is still looking really bad. Without dramatically revamping the effects, what it needs is the jump swing hitbox to accurately follow the swing animation and the throw animation speed increased. The jump swing is the best attack to use but has the smallest hitbox making you extremely vulnerable to enemies even slightly above you and during this rush attack that the devs clearly jizz their pants over for some reason, it extremely hard to see...ANYTHING with the animation and the superfluous splash effect. The throw speed is what shocked me the most when I seriously used it during the Smash Bros Splatfest. It is a really slow delay to wind up and throw the hammer, so you actually need about 1/4 of your meter to do it or you just throw your sub. It needs to be instant or you can hold it for some time after the special gauge runs out.

The crazy effect that I think it should get though that would instantly make it viable is that when activated and only during the duration of the special you get an Ecolocator effect. As soon as it runs our or you throw the hammer it ends. Even if it was just applied to the user only. This way you can properly chase and make use of these speed and turn increases despite how much the hammer's attacks block your vision and make it super hard to see what you're chasing. Indirect damage increase is good but it needs to be higher like 60 damage. People need to be scared of this special for it to work. And I hope this increased "bullet & bomb" erase range effect means that frontal attacks are finally useless against it LIKE THE GODDAMN BASIC DESCRIPTION SAID IT WOULD BE FROM THE OUTSET! You should be a mini Steel Eel when using this.

Did not expect Booyah Bomb to get so many buffs. I thought it was perfect as is but I'll take it! Hell yes to more Dualie nerfs. Little bastards.

Patch should go live tonight? I always have trouble following the time zone difference with Japan stuff. They're listing it going live 1/30 which is typically one day ahead of NA time.

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using the Ballpoint as my main for the last couple of week and now it's nerfed :(

At least the Squelcher got a small buff [with MPU].

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you wiggling the stick or jumping when charging? Because it charges in like half a second if you do that.
...Huh. Does it charge faster when walking, or is it specifically changing direction or jumping that speeds up the charge?

I was using the Kensa Sloshing Machine, though. Wasn't aware that it was perceived to be OP.

Oct 25, 2017
You can stack how it charges. Shaking the controller or changing stick direction (up <-> down or left <-> right for both) or jumping all influence its charge and can be done simultaneously. Since shaking the controller can mess with your aim/calibration and is generally a heftier and slower task, moving the stick left and right is typically what people seem to do with or without a small jump or two thrown in for good measure. Walking doesn't make it charge faster unless of course you're changing your walk direction continuously (or start walking forward AFTER hitting the sub button, in which case it kinda registers the walk forward as part of a charge).

The Sloshing Machine was always a pretty good main weapon held back by its conflicting kits but Fizzy really compliments the main weapon well compared to Point Sensor or Autobomb (on top of already being a crazy sub), and Splashdown reinforces its role as something that wants to get in especially when the main's range and power + Fizzy's ink spread make getting in and bullying opposing slayers/midliners much easier.

...the Ballpoint did nothing wrong.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...Huh. Does it charge faster when walking, or is it specifically changing direction or jumping that speeds up the charge?

I was using the Kensa Sloshing Machine, though. Wasn't aware that it was perceived to be OP.
The idea is you're "shaking" the can of soda to increase the carbonation. Bart's April Fool's gag from Simpsons.

You can tell it's happening when your inkling starts shaking it really fast.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can stack how it charges. Shaking the controller or changing stick direction (up <-> down or left <-> right for both) or jumping all influence its charge and can be done simultaneously. Since shaking the controller can mess with your aim/calibration and is generally a heftier and slower task, moving the stick left and right is typically what people seem to do with or without a small jump or two thrown in for good measure. Walking doesn't make it charge faster unless of course you're changing your walk direction continuously (or start walking forward AFTER hitting the sub button, in which case it kinda registers the walk forward as part of a charge).
The idea is you're "shaking" the can of soda to increase the carbonation. Bart's April Fool's gag from Simpsons.

You can tell it's happening when your inkling starts shaking it really fast.
Alright, thanks a lot. Moving and jumping helps a lot with this sub.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see the devs use the Ultra Stamp. I want to have some fucking clue what the shitting hell they think we should be doing with it. This turning speed or whatever doesn't feel different at all and the throw still takes a year and a half to complete. Like, is there some set up or method to the madness? There must be some reason they keep allowing this special to be so disgustingly bad. I really want to use the Kensa Mini Splatling and Toxic Mist combo but this special is such a liability and so useless. Like I'm expecting a youtube vid of someone saying "hold forward and it goes faster" and just blows all our / my mind(s).

I don't use the Flingza outside of Salmon Run so I'm a bad source but it doesn't feel faster swinging at all...so it must have been slow as shit before. Jet Squelcher accuracy buff is nice so I guess I'll use it more since Ballpoint was obliterated. OBLITERATED! Squid to shoot speed buff is nice but hard to notice unless you've used the weapons like crazy. Like I can notice the Jr.'s increased speed but not on any of the other weapons. I need some side by sides real quick. Booyah Bomb seems really nice now so more Kensa Pro games incoming.

I'd really like to see these Kelp Dome changes at some point Nintendo if you don't mind. The next cycle with it isn't until 2 am my time and I ain't that interested.

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I want to see the devs use the Ultra Stamp. I want to have some fucking clue what the shitting hell they think we should be doing with it. This turning speed or whatever doesn't feel different at all and the throw still takes a year and a half to complete. Like, is there some set up or method to the madness? There must be some reason they keep allowing this special to be so disgustingly bad

Maybe they're fans of Donkey Kong?

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Flingza buff wasnt swing speed, it was movement speed. Specifically ground movement speed during vertical flick.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I HATE the Dynamo Roller + MPU combo. I was playing last night against 2 players that were using the roller with a lot of MPU stacking. And the matchmaking being the way it is [making no sense], it paired the 2 rollers together 90% of the time. I could survive using the Kensa Undercover Brella, but the rest of my team had no chance. How do you guy deal with rollers?
And how does the game decide in which team you are going to be? Is it because of the level? Cause I doubt it's forming teams based on weapons (I often see teams with 2-4 chargers/rollers/etc, instead of a more balanced distribution).

Also, has anyone noticed how the game is becoming WAAAAY too laggy lately? More than usual. Players disappearing and reappearing somewhere else, ink flying/materializing out of nowhere at an unusually fast speed.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Only ranked supposedly has some kind of weapon balancing between teams to avoid stacks.
In Turf War, matchmaking gets 8 people with similar MMR and randomly place 'em across both teams, weapons be damned.

Last edited:

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I was a Dynamo main until pretty recently and now I just use the Range Blaster because fuck the Splat Brella, fuck the Stingray, and fuck like 500 different things in Splatoon 2 that make the life of a longer-range support weapon a pain in the ass.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap Kelp Dome is in the rotation so I can finally see this amazing ramp they added to Splat Zones!

It's a ramp!

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Double posting because I'm too hyped! Only lost one placement game and got this!

It only happened because it's the first of the month I know but damn I never thought I'd get a crown at ANYTHING in this game!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the adjustments to Kelp Dome, it's a small thing but does a lot to reduce the steamroll quality of some victories there. Also the beekeeper hat that is this month's salmon run reward is really cool

Double posting because I'm too hyped! Only lost one placement game and got this!

It only happened because it's the first of the month I know but damn I never thought I'd get a crown at ANYTHING in this game!

Yeah, getting the crown is the best part of the monthly reset. I managed to make it as high as 84 this month in Rainmaker which felt real good, though I'm sure by now I'm probably no higher than a couple thousand. I'm really excited to see what score I get for Splat Zones, I won all 9 placement games before the rotation switched, so I want to believe I'll crack 2300 for the first time in several months.

I recently looked back at all my rank x performances and tried to see if there was any real trend among them, I don't think there really is one, my performance seems to be all over the place, but it is interesting to see how many more people are in rank x now compared to 8 months ago, except for December when Smash must have really reduced the player count.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Genesis 6 is going on and while it is primarily a Smash tournament, they're streaming some Splatoon 2 and not just regular matches but there is a Salmon Run tournament going. It's on hazard level 100% (Should be level MAX if you ask me but...) and the commentators are kind of on the annoying side because I'm edgy like that but fun seeing high level players do Salmon Run.

The Shifty Station for the next Splatfest might be fun this time. The gimmick is the stage has Splat Zones. There are six large patches of turf that act like Splat Zones to instantly increase turf coverage if you steal one. You don't get a hud about all the zones since that'd be six markers mucking up the screen so stealing zones should be easier for better or worse.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to play Splatoon 2 again after not having played in a long time and maybe I'm mistaken but I don't recall the game being this weighted towards the close quarter weapons? Did the meta change or am I just not remembering correctly?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm starting to play Splatoon 2 again after not having played in a long time and maybe I'm mistaken but I don't recall the game being this weighted towards the close quarter weapons? Did the meta change or am I just not remembering correctly?

Close weapons have always had the leg up in Splatoon 2, hell most of the maps are just open boxes so a lot of staying back goes by the wayside cause everything is right in the middle all the time.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Figured you guys might like this. My wife makes some pretty detailed cakes for our son's birthdays, this was this year's.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Splatoon 2 has always favored fairly short range weapons, due to the changes in how armor works, map design, and relative weakness of tracking enemies. Over the last year they made a lot of changes to make longer range weapons more viable before screwing everything up with main power up and returning most of the progress back to shorter range weapons again

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the Genesis 6 tournament and it was very fun. Is this how sports fans feel? :P
There was this player, Arashi, who used the hammer/stamp and he was really good with it. Did you watch it, Magnet_Man?

Figured you guys might like this. My wife makes some pretty detailed cakes for our son's birthdays, this was this year's.

It looks pretty cool :O

No Splatoon 2 has always favored fairly short range weapons, due to the changes in how armor works, map design, and relative weakness of tracking enemies. Over the last year they made a lot of changes to make longer range weapons more viable before screwing everything up with main power up and returning most of the progress back to shorter range weapons again
It's sad how MPU screwed up so much. And it's like double the work for the developers: before, they only needed to fix or change the weapons, but now they have to pay attention to vanilla weapons AND their MPU effects.

I wonder how many balance updates they will do before the last Splatfest. Or if there are going to be more weapons [like Sheldon's Picks].

Is Kelp Dome out of rotation? I remember someone mentioning it was getting changes and I've been playing since Friday and not once it was on [my] schedule.
One thing I hate about the rotation is that I tend to play around the same hour each night, and usually the same stages are on alternation at that time. I feel like I've been playing on Humpback and Albacore forever.

One of my hopes is that when the updates and Splatfest end, the fest stages will be put on turf rotation. It would be fantastic to have a 3 stages cycle and a lot of those maps are good. It would be a shame not to play on them again.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Genesis 6 tournament and it was very fun. Is this how sports fans feel? :P
There was this player, Arashi, who used the hammer/stamp and he was really good with it. Did you watch it, Magnet_Man?

It looks pretty cool :O

It's sad how MPU screwed up so much. And it's like double the work for the developers: before, they only needed to fix or change the weapons, but now they have to pay attention to vanilla weapons AND their MPU effects.

I wonder how many balance updates they will do before the last Splatfest. Or if there are going to be more weapons [like Sheldon's Picks].

Is Kelp Dome out of rotation? I remember someone mentioning it was getting changes and I've been playing since Friday and not once it was on [my] schedule.
One thing I hate about the rotation is that I tend to play around the same hour each night, and usually the same stages are on alternation at that time. I feel like I've been playing on Humpback and Albacore forever.

One of my hopes is that when the updates and Splatfest end, the fest stages will be put on turf rotation. It would be fantastic to have a 3 stages cycle and a lot of those maps are good. It would be a shame not to play on them again.
Kelp Dome is only on the rotation for Splat Zones and rainmaker this month, even though the changes to the map are probably more meaningful for clam blitz and tower control

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was this player, Arashi, who used the hammer/stamp and he was really good with it. Did you watch it, @Magnet_Man?

Yeah, I watched it. It was really good! I was very surprised to see a Stamp kit in finals but I think it was much more because of how great of a player Arashi is than stamp. The same thing happens in fighting game tournaments where someone picks a mid or low tier character. Watching him play, he did very little with the stamp. He saved stamp for times when he was assured a kill, got it, and then threw the stamp. And that's optimal use, but it's like we figured when stamp first came out that the longer you use it the more of a liability it is. So unfortunately I didn't get to see some kind of new "Ultra Stamp" tech that I was hoping to see to change my opinion on it. I do think I have been too harsh on the L3 w/ Shield pair. Given the accuracy and high paint ability of the L3 with clever Shield placement made it very potent for close range fights especially now with the "paint at your feet" buff finally giving it much needed mobility.

There's a lot that Ultra Stamp needs to be on par with the other specials but at the very bare minimum and to be realistic, I think it needs Ink Armor when in use. Like given the range of Booyah Bomb's throw, the fact that it has armor to boot is crazy good. The much more vulnerable and harder to use with less assured return special Ultra Stamp not having it or something similar makes no sense. It doesn't need Booyah's 500 HP but 200 or even 100 would go a long way to making Ultra Stamp not a borderline kamikaze button. The devs are convinced that "it's impervious to frontal attacks" when it absolutely is not. No one is scared of it and why should they? No amount of "it turns faster" buffs matter when I can stare at it and shoot in the general area and it dies. There's no reason to use it over Baller and Ink Jet that get kills and force enemies to move better, easier, and most of all SAFER, outside of "stamp's fun".

Different note: fever dream wish is Sploosh 7 comes with Fizzy Bombs. I think they'd be fantastic to cover Sploosh's flaws in the same way Torpedo fixed the Jr's. Paint trail for mobility, Fizzy deals plenty of area damage but rarely kills so Sploosh would only need a few hits to finish the job, and is one of the best mid-range subs which plays to the Sploosh 7's concept of "Main weapon for short range, Splat Bomb for mid, Inkzooka for long" perfectly while being new. I wouldn't want Ink Jet and I think the Inkzooka -> Ink Jet rate in game already is dumb. I'd want Stingray as that is a closer match to Inkzooka's instant supression ability. Just give it a high special point cost like 220 or 230 to keep it from being spammed by Sploosh's high paint ability.

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I watched it. It was really good! I was very surprised to see a Stamp kit in finals but I think it was much more because of how great of a player Arashi is than stamp. The same thing happens in fighting game tournaments where someone picks a mid or low tier character. Watching him play, he did very little with the stamp. He saved stamp for times when he was assured a kill, got it, and then threw the stamp. And that's optimal use, but it's like we figured when stamp first came out that the longer you use it the more of a liability it is. So unfortunately I didn't get to see some kind of new "Ultra Stamp" tech that I was hoping to see to change my opinion on it. I do think I have been too harsh on the L3 w/ Shield pair. Given the accuracy and high paint ability of the L3 with clever Shield placement made it very potent for close range fights especially now with the "paint at your feet" buff finally giving it much needed mobility.

There's a lot that Ultra Stamp needs to be on par with the other specials but at the very bare minimum and to be realistic, I think it needs Ink Armor when in use. Like given the range of Booyah Bomb's throw, the fact that it has armor to boot is crazy good. The much more vulnerable and harder to use with less assured return special Ultra Stamp not having it or something similar makes no sense. It doesn't need Booyah's 500 HP but 200 or even 100 would go a long way to making Ultra Stamp not a borderline kamikaze button. The devs are convinced that "it's impervious to frontal attacks" when it absolutely is not. No one is scared of it and why should they? No amount of "it turns faster" buffs matter when I can stare at it and shoot in the general area and it dies. There's no reason to use it over Baller and Ink Jet that get kills and force enemies to move better, easier, and most of all SAFER, outside of "stamp's fun".

Different note: fever dream wish is Sploosh 7 comes with Fizzy Bombs. I think they'd be fantastic to cover Sploosh's flaws in the same way Torpedo fixed the Jr's. Paint trail for mobility, Fizzy deals plenty of area damage but rarely kills so Sploosh would only need a few hits to finish the job, and is one of the best mid-range subs which plays to the Sploosh 7's concept of "Main weapon for short range, Splat Bomb for mid, Inkzooka for long" perfectly while being new. I wouldn't want Ink Jet and I think the Inkzooka -> Ink Jet rate in game already is dumb. I'd want Stingray as that is a closer match to Inkzooka's instant supression ability. Just give it a high special point cost like 220 or 230 to keep it from being spammed by Sploosh's high paint ability.
I tried the H-3 Nozzlenose D last night for 3 matches. I got 0 kills with the weapon, and the few splats I did were from the suction bomb. I suck with the Nozzlenose family :P

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the L-3 Nozzlenose D last night. It's good.
bBsr9xn.jpg
Y7tFiJD.jpg
2XxMVJN.jpg

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
They chose blue for Team Waffle? Uh wow, do yourselves a favor and don't google Blue Waffle.

Also, went 20-14 for Team Pancake and won 2 10x battles!

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Team waffle here, but I want Pearl to win :P
I really think pancakes will win (most of the news flash have been for team pancake). I'm not playing my best cause of a cold.
Lots of battles against my own team too.

They chose blue for Team Waffle? Uh wow, do yourselves a favor and don't google Blue Waffle.

Also, went 20-14 for Team Pancake and won 2 10x battles!
Blue waffle? I'm scared but intrigued 🤔
I honestly thought it was purple at first.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Prepare to be flattened, Team Waffles! Also whoever's localizing the game at NoA is a monster for making Waffles' ink blue, or at least close enough to it, so many people are going to search that online and ruin their weekend

I ended up doing pretty well, I went only with the Neo Splash which is way better than I've given it credit for before. I did my part for the Pancake Platoon, 20-5, 2250ish mmr. Loved the shifty station, it's probably my favorite by far and makes me wonder how much better Turf Wars could be if they had a couple splat zones spread throughout them

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2183 Waffle power right now. Splatlings seems good for this Shifty Station.

Is there any reason to not wipe the Splatfest Tee to keep getting chunks once it's maxed? It doesn't stop leveling after it's got three slots filled.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Maybe I'm losing it, but can you no longer mess with the music by wiggling the sticks etc. on the lobby screen?

Edit: well actually it's working in salmon run, not sure what was up in the regular mode. Also first time seeing this new salmon run stage, it's really cool. New music too...

Last edited:

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm losing it, but can you no longer mess with the music by wiggling the sticks etc. on the lobby screen?

Edit: well actually it's working in salmon run, not sure what was up in the regular mode. Also first time seeing this new salmon run stage, it's really cool. New music too...

In splatfest I feel like moving the sticks doesn't do anything.
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like every splatfest when I try and mess with the music it never works

May 5, 2018
Played some splatfest matches earlier and repping team pancakes. I think my record is 5-6 and 1-1 in Pancake vs Pancake matches. In the win against another pancake team I actually never got splatted. Will probably play some more after work but I need to get better for the flapjacks to pull through.