• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Well, team waffle might have a chance cause today's performance and results were so much better. 4 10x battles and won all of them. I even made it to the news flash.
I still think pancakes will win, tho.

I hope I get the chance to participate in a 100x battle before the fests are over :P
lhHiRNr.jpg

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Waffles but I figured they were going to be more popular so I went Pancakes and went 23-7 maxing at 2350.5. You wouldn't believe the craziest common thread in those losses. Starts with an "A" and ends with a "0-7". Every loss had one on my side and every loss they went 0-whatever.

Got a lot of kills just throwing the hammer at people. Only had one 10x game and lost it, but when I decided to do a few more games after getting King got three 10x games in a row. And won them all. Hope I can get at least one 100x before splatfests die.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think waffles will win popularity, I had quite a few battles against my own.

You wouldn't believe the craziest common thread in those losses. Starts with an "A" and ends with a "0-7". Every loss had one on my side and every loss they went 0-whatever.
I'm feeling a little dumb by the cold, so I don't get it. Sorry. A0-7?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Aerospray that gets themselves killed over and over and end with a 0-7"

The Aerospray is one of the worst guns in the game yet they come out in droves during Splatfests and invariably play like they're holding the controller in their mouth.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I figured it was Aerospray related cause you hate that weapon, but I couldn't make sense of 0-7.

I sometimes use it for turfing, when I'm farming coin :P

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I think this was one of the best splatfests in a while. Went Team Pancake and wasn't perpetually stuck in a wait, disconnect, repeat 3 times cycle before each match like some of the previous fests. Shifty Station was a lot of fun. I don't play ranked but that had me reconsidering it since the fights over the control points added a nice complication on top of the normal Turf Wars gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
86d.jpg_large

Team Waffle flattens Team Pancake more than it already was in clean sweep!

I was #TeamWaffle, but was too lazy to get all the way up to King/Queen this time. Disappointed because this looked like a good Splatfest to take part in.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This is the tastiest Splatfest victory! Better than mayo, better than ice cream, better than pizza without pineapple. To celebrate I'm gonna have waffles for dinner, breakfast, lunch, brunch, tea, supper, second breakfast, and elevenses! and then I'm not gonna clean the waffle iron.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pancakes in the end are just boneless waffles.

Still gonna try to pick the least popular side just because it makes the grind easier.

May 5, 2018
Ahhhh! Pancakes were so close in every category but couldn't win anything. This must be what it feels like when the LA Kings got swept by the Vegas Golden Knights after losing every game by 1 point last year in the NHL.

I worked my way up to be a Pancake Defender, but my personal record against Waffles feels accurate to the results as I was 7-10 against Waffles yesterday.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm still shocked by these results. My waffle experience on Saturday was utterly miserable and I bailed out after it took me 2 hours just to make it to Champion. No way was I going to spend an additional 3-4 hours agonizing my way to King at that rate. The needlessly-grindy design of splatfest continues to be the worst thing about the game and I will continue dying on this hill.

I wound up semi-unintentionally playing some turf war last night which turned out to help wash the taste of Saturday's effort out of my mouth. I really do like the Kensa 52 after all, just gotta figure out how I want to distribute abilities on it.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
WHOA! I can't believe Team Waffles won \o/
Friday night was awful and it took me so long to reach king, I was sure pancakes would win. But Saturday was much better (that's when I thought waffles might have a chance).

I really wanted Pearl to win, tho. When was the last time Pearl won a fest?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I want to say that the last time Pearl won when was Marina complained about her losing streak and Pearl said something like "just stop losing then", but it'd be too perfect and I can't check it anytime soon.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say that the last time Pearl won when was Marina complained about her losing streak and Pearl said something like "just stop losing then", but it'd be too perfect and I can't check it anytime soon.

Not quite, Pearl has won one of the 5 since then in the American ones where she said that.

Pearl has lost every splatfest shared with Europe and won the only one the Americans got on their own, so it's clear that Europe are the ones carrying Marina to victory after victory.

Vic

Nov 22, 2017
Was in Team Waffle and my experience was that we mostly owned Team Pancake. Good that the W confirms it

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was Toxic Mist buffed? Messing with the Kensa Mini Splatling, and people seem to respect it more than they used to from my past experience

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shocked by these results. My waffle experience on Saturday was utterly miserable and I bailed out after it took me 2 hours just to make it to Champion. No way was I going to spend an additional 3-4 hours agonizing my way to King at that rate. The needlessly-grindy design of splatfest continues to be the worst thing about the game and I will continue dying on this hill.

I wound up semi-unintentionally playing some turf war last night which turned out to help wash the taste of Saturday's effort out of my mouth. I really do like the Kensa 52 after all, just gotta figure out how I want to distribute abilities on it.
I was pancake.

I got halfway through Defender in over 2 hours of play.

I legitimately hated everything after that.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
At best, they might toss in a reminder about the online tournament stuff that's going on, but content-wise I don't expect anything else from Splatoon 2 in directs. They already stated previously that they were done with stages/modes/whatnot, the Sheldon's Picks being thrown in is just a simple addition of a few weapon parameters, they probably had those ready to crank out with barely any work involved at all.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at best we'll get a sheldon's picks overview.

If they are truly done making content then I think we could see Splatoon 3 as early as next year.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, at best we'll get a sheldon's picks overview.

If they are truly done making content then I think we could see Splatoon 3 as early as next year.

I very much doubt they will make Splatoon 3 for switch. They're going to try and have it be like mario kart, get it out early and let it run its course over the lifetime of the platform.

Of course that's entirely on gut feelings, but still.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I very much doubt they will make Splatoon 3 for switch. They're going to try and have it be like mario kart, get it out early and let it run its course over the lifetime of the platform.

Of course that's entirely on gut feelings, but still.
I'm honestly OK with that. I love Splatoon, but I like the 1 game per generation approach (I wouldn't mind more DLC/maps/expansions, tho). On the other hand, it's going to be a while before the next-gen hardware and I don't think Nintendo would let a franchise this huge to go without a new game for so long... so, maybe a spin-off?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
On one hand, strange as it is to say, Splatoon is too big of a franchise now for Nintendo to sit on it for too long without something new, especially with their steps in Japan to keep its tournament scene going. I don't see Splatoon as strictly a "once per gen" title, especially when they only went two years between the first two releases. That said...next year feels to me like it would be a bit too soon, unless they were going to have new hardware. If they plan to stick with the Switch as their base for a while yet, I could see a Splatoon 3 with some significant new stuff in summer 2021, with maybe some other small spinoff project by another team in between then and now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Splatoon as strictly a "once per gen" title, especially when they only went two years between the first two releases

As far as I can tell, Nintendo has never released a second title in any online focused game, and almost never in multiplayer focused games in general.

They take maintaining value of software incredibly importantly, and are well aware that releasing a new one every 2-3 years splits userbases and devalues the content of both. It seems far more likely to me that they keep the same approach that they do with their other big multiplayer games, which have all been 1/console, than break the trend.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I completely missed the Splatfest too. First time that's happened in Splatoon 2 (happened a few times in S1, more of a shame since there were only, what, 10 of them?)

Prefer pancakes.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are we gearing towards Splatoon3?

After enough frustration with Smash Bros i'm coming back for this game. And having a blast on turf :)

Not touching ranked for a bit though.

Knightmare

Oct 25, 2017

I really love doing stuff like this with the kensa jr. The enemy doesn't even realize what happened to them.. they see a torpedo flying towards them and then poof! They're dead! The only drawback is when the torpedo fails to detect someone, leaving me vulnerable because if I blow a bubble and they throw a bomb at it I die instead.. is there a way to avoid that?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really love doing stuff like this with the kensa jr. The enemy doesn't even realize what happened to them.. they see a torpedo flying towards them and then poof! They're dead! The only drawback is when the torpedo fails to detect someone, leaving me vulnerable because if I blow a bubble and they throw a bomb at it I die instead.. is there a way to avoid that?

I've used the Kensa Jr a lot and honestly I can't think of a time I've ever been killed by an instant bomb into the bubble. Never really thought about it.

I would say the key is to space out your bubbles and stay within a healthy amount of your ink when throwing them. Spacing the bubbles makes the enemy panic and try to get rid of the bubbles as soon as possible so they burn their ink on bombs or Splashdown, making them vulnerable to the following two bubbles. Throwing the bubbles while surrounded by your ink should make you safer from bombs hitting the bubbles as you should be behind the bubbles and you would only die from a bomb if it hit the bubble on the same side you were, meaning from behind or far sides. It's like having your back against a wall so no one can sneak up on you. The safe ink around you means it's harder for the enemy to get behind you to throw a bomb at the angle to kill you.

After the nerfs to the Kensa Jr, I do the Torpedo Bubble pop trick from around corners or from lower ledges, so I'm safer in case the Torpedo doesn't inflate or the damage nerf keeps the bubble from popping.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I imagine there'll be some sort of Splatoon spin-off next year -- either a (co-op?) platformer or splattle royale. I'm sure special designs for both have been in the works for years and thanks to the scope and quality of the Switch game, the assets are, more or less, all ready to go.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would give my left nut for the Aerospray to be removed from the game. Every round that there is one, no matter the team, they are poison.

This is a meme that needs to die off already. The areospray is bad. Wait for the Sheldon's Picks version for maybe a usable kit.

Last edited:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I am feeling down for getting loss after loss in Clam Blitz, meaning I am demoted to S+1 again. It's amazing that the other team managed to get KOs and overtake the team I am on, which goes to show that I am pretty poor in this game mode. Also in Rainmaker, I have experienced the worst loss: when our team was going to score the KO, I had the misfortune of getting a modem problem at 5 points left, which means I never got an easy points, and that was so disappointing you wouldn't believe.

When I used Kensa Rapid Blaster in Turf Wars, I thought that the kit would be quite helpful, but I guess it's no substitute for skill, so it was a struggle for me to get "Raw" freshness. In fact, with how I am struggling with some weapons (especially Chargers), I sometimes wonder what my invisible rating is since it can't be that high.

On a brighter note, I got max Main Power Up on one of my headgear (Retro Specs) but I still have no luck on one of my clothes and one of my shoes. With only one Main Power Up ticket left, I have to hope I can get it next round since they are surprisingly not that common from my Salmon Run rewards.

Thank you for reading.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was the sub-saver ability nerfed or something? I remember ny build being able to throw 2 bombs without ending with 0 ink.