• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
CThatSrb2DUDE is the name you're looking for. He regularly streams on Twitch and his YouTube channel has a video serious about "how to become competitive" which will link you to further online ressources and other pro players to watch.
DUDE thank you so much! :D That is exactly the type of content I'm looking for. Going to check out some videos before I jump back into the game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do i always end up on the teams with the brellas and chargers? 2300 in X and people getting 1 kill in the whole match. Holy fucking shit.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is 47.99 about the cheapest this game's gonna get? Gf's been wanting it on her own Switch for a long time. At this point I'm just worried that they're gonna announce Splatoon 3 soon, so tryin to give her advice on whether to buy it. She loves Splatoon.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
We're not likely to hear about a Splatoon 3 soon enough for it to not be worth getting 2 now, if she wants to play it. We still have a few months of splatfests and at least one or two more weapon packs coming with Sheldon's Picks (incidentally why are they waiting so long to release those after the announcement? Something feels fishy), and I don't think the game's sales have tailed off that much that they're desperate to release a new game and cut this one off.

I'd think at the absolute earliest, we wouldn't hear rumblings of a Splatoon 3 until 2020, with release in 2021. Plenty of time to keep playing until then.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is 47.99 about the cheapest this game's gonna get? Gf's been wanting it on her own Switch for a long time. At this point I'm just worried that they're gonna announce Splatoon 3 soon, so tryin to give her advice on whether to buy it. She loves Splatoon.
It will drop to $40 sale price by the end of the year, but at that point Splatfests and all support should be over, so if you want to jump on it now it wouldn't be a bad deal. Splatoon 3 is definitely still years off so no need to worry there.

We're not likely to hear about a Splatoon 3 soon enough for it to not be worth getting 2 now, if she wants to play it. We still have a few months of splatfests and at least one or two more weapon packs coming with Sheldon's Picks (incidentally why are they waiting so long to release those after the announcement? Something feels fishy), and I don't think the game's sales have tailed off that much that they're desperate to release a new game and cut this one off.

I'd think at the absolute earliest, we wouldn't hear rumblings of a Splatoon 3 until 2020, with release in 2021. Plenty of time to keep playing until then.
I assume we'll hear about that this week if the next month starts on Friday, though it might be next week since in the past the start of a new month has been delayed a week if it involved new content. At least I hope that's the case and it isn't something that gets shown in the next mini direct (alongside Smash 3.0) and then gets added in May. I'm still holding out hope that it will bring back some of the music from the first game. It's been long enough that they could have some kind of retro, #tbt charm, right?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I think you misspelled Seasick
Best song in the game is "Acid Hues." Change my mind.

I'm going to miss it so much when the Splatfest are over (._. )

I'm still holding out hope that it will bring back some of the music from the first game
That would be fantastic. Despite having a smaller selection of tunes, I really think the first Splatoon has a better soundtrack. And by better, I mean it actually pumps you up. Not saying Splatoon 2 doesn't have very good music (it does), but outside of the Splatfest tunes, there is nothing in 2 like, let's say, "Sucker Punch" (too bad it wasn't included in Smash Ultimate).

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
And speaking of Splatoon 3, what changes would you like to see?
Basic/easy stuff off the top of my head:

• Left and right d-pad messages [predefined or even custom]: help, leave this area to me, hidden squid, etc.
    What messages or words would you like to see?

• Smaller text and symbols that disappear faster: the screen gets too busy and chaotic at times, and it's hard to see what's happening between all the ink, booyah/ouch text, splat symbols and message, closed spaces, camera angles.

• Better and more info when you splat someone: let me know if it was an assisted splat and who helped.
    The game already informs to the person who assisted with a distinct symbol, it could do the same for the person whose ink made the kill.
    It would also be helpful to know exactly what caused the splat (between the chaos, sometimes it isn't clear if it was a main weapon, sub or special).

• Better and more info in the results screen: splat assists division, number of sub and special splats, number of deaths, deaths by main, sub and special. I love stats and the NSO app doesn't provide enough data (and please, don't let it be app exclusive).

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Clam Blitz is my weakest mode, but it feels good if a push is initiated and we won as a result.

Going from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2, I like that they made Special Points independent of the Special and based on the weapon, so you have higher SP for Specials that synergise well with the main weapon like Splat Charger or lower SP for Specials that doesn't synergise well like the Clash Blaster. For comparison, Echolocator has a high Special Point requirement which hurt less competitive weapons like the Custom Splattershot Jr. although for a weapon like E-Litre 3K it's not so bad. I would like to take a step further and allow for balance patches to update the kits for current weapons if it turns out that the kits hardly synergise with the main weapon. For example, the Hydra Splatling's current kit is probably not the best for it, since Autobomb tracks slowly while it's difficult to follow up with the Splashdown since Hydra charges the slowest (it's not a bad kit as Dark Tetra Dualies could prove, but it's not a good fit for the Hydra). Clash Blaster is another example, since Sting Ray is not a good fit for a relatively short ranged weapon (Splat Bomb is a decent fit, though).

I would also love to see a form of co-op implemented, as my cousin was disappointed that we can't play together on the same game.

And also: it would be great if there are two options for Ranked modes, especially if a new Mode gets introduced since I cannot play a certain mode sometimes, so having two modes alleviate this by allowing me to choose one to catch up.

Thank you for reading.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I don't know if it'd top my wish list, but design-wise my biggest criticism of Splatoon since the first has been that in contrast to its beautifully elegant gameplay the gear system is clunky and complicated and, worst of all, clashes with the theme of staying fresh.

In a world obsessed with outward appearance and projecting one's own personality through brands, music and social media, picking your clothing somehow isn't allowed to be strictly a fashion choice. How you dress depends largely on luck of the draw. You're not making a statement about what you think looks good, rather you're making a statement about which hat, shirt and shoes you happened to roll favourable perks on. Splatoon 2 did a little bit to fix this by introducing ability chunks which let you customize gear to a limited degree. Even then your outfit doesn't consist of the stuff you like but the stuff you managed to make fit and you can either broadcast your sense of style or what abilities you value but rarely both.

If Splatoon 3 found a way to tie the cosmetic/progression system together with the same simple coherence as the shooting mechanics it'd be an absolute masterclass.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
To me, the number one change that needs to be made in Splatoon 3 is one they already made between 1 and 2, and walked back on for some stupid reason.

Get. Rid. Of. Damage. Up.

Special Power Up making some specials more lethal is already something in and of itself, but the introduction of Main Power and its half-lazy implementation has sucked a lot of joy out of playing lately. Bringing back the ability for select weapons to artificially reduce their shots-to-splat by hitting 99.9 damage completely throws off whatever time-to-kill balancing that the devs themselves attempt to form when creating weapons in the first place and makes a situation where MPU becomes absolutely crucial or almost entirely pointless. Yeah I'm looking right at you while I say this, Kensa Splattershot Pro. There's a reason the Jet Squelcher has great range but poor TTK. Reintroducing damage up via MPU is the single biggest balancing mistake that the S2 devs have made and I will not budge on that opinion.

I get why it doesn't happen, but part of me wishes that they could cook up some kind of system to let you build your own weapon kits instead of them being predetermined. It's true that some weapons live or die on the kit selectiins they make but I don't think the ability for the devs to change kits with a patch is something they'd ever feel comfortable doing. For now, the sheer amount of kits available means a lot of them step on each others' toes and tend to become redundant or render certain ones almost completely pointless. I think I'd prefer the next game to value focus over volume, offer fewer weapons in total but make what's there more distinct from one another.

Please go with fewer lethal subweapons. The number of OHKO bombs in the game right now feels ridiculous.

Of course the obvious one: make the news broadcasts skippable, at least if the only "news" is the regular map rotation info. I'm fine with keeping the presentation and making sure people are aware of new patches, content drops, or Splatfest announcements, but if I'm booting up I don't really need to mash through seeing the maps in every mode, not when that info can be communicated just as easily and far more quickly elsewhere within the game world.

Give us a new threat to combat in single player aside from Octarians. There can still be Octarian enemies, like a rogue faction or something, but I think it's time to branch out more.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

Get rid of all abilities that modify respawn speed.
Get rid of all abilities that modify weapon damage.
All lethal sub weapons should cost a lot of ink.
A solo mode to try things around in ranked modes without worrying about rank (so solo League).
Special bosses in Salmon Run - something like story bosses, in a special map, to fight with your co-workers.
Allow me to use chunks to change the main ability in gear.
Some form of cloud/server saves.

And the obvious ones like better online everything, skippable news, more hairstyles/pants etc.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
My in game name id diego, with two ? in place of the g. I see you in solo from time to time this year, and I think you have defeated me each time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Inkling open is starting with Nine and Mellana casting. They announced the World Championships at E3 on June 8 and I bet (or should I say hope?) they'll announce Sheldon's picks at the end

https://www.twitch.tv/paxarena

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Inkling open is starting with Nine and Mellana casting. They announced the World Championships at E3 on June 8 and I bet (or should I say hope?) they'll announce Sheldon's picks at the end

https://www.twitch.tv/paxarena
I...wouldn't put my bets on that, honestly. A NA-specific event at PAX with no devs or anything present doesn't strike me as the sort of venue that they'd be breaking that kind of news.

At least the matches themselves have been fun to watch so far, even if it has been two sweeps.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What a great finish to the set.

I knew they would announce Sheldon's Picks, can't wait to play with 12 new weapons. Tortoise and the Hare is a great Splatfest theme

• Fresh Squiffer w/ Suction Bombs & Inkjet
• Permanent Inkbrush w/ Sprinkler & Ink Armor
• Soda Slosher w/ Splat Bombs & Burst-Bomb Launcher
• Bamboozler 14 Mk III w/ Fizzy Bombs & Bubble Blower
• Grim Range Blaster w/ Burst Bombs & Tenta Missiles
• N-ZAP '83 w/ Sprinkler & Ink Storm
• Aerospray PG w/ Burst Bombs & Booyah Bomb
• Sploosh-o-matic 7 w/ Splat Bombs & Ultra Stamp
• Heavy Splatling Remix w/ Point Sensor & Booyah Bomb
• Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose w/ Splash Wall & Bubble Blower
• Tenta Camo Brella w/ Ink Mines & Ultra Stamp
• Clear Dapple Dualies w/ Torpedo & Splashdown

I think I'm going to fall in love with the N-Zap '83 and the Bamboozler Mk III

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a neat little addition too, all the more reason to experiment and play with lots of different weapons
Another feature being added is weapon badges, which act as marks of pride showing just how much you've used a particular weapon.
tumblr_inline_pp6q3y3bp21t4m0j9_1280.jpg

Whenever you reach 100,000, 500,000, 1,000,000, and the maximum number of points inked with each weapon, these badges will display.
tumblr_inline_pp6q5dtgxJ1t4m0j9_1280.png

Once earned, you can check them out on your player status screen and the equip screen!
tumblr_inline_pp6q6ddxra1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Permanent Inkbrush seems terrible. Sprinkler... really? Fizzy's would've been amazing for some long range ink cover... but well.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a great finish to the set.

I knew they would announce Sheldon's Picks, can't wait to play with 12 new weapons. Tortoise and the Hare is a great Splatfest theme

• Fresh Squiffer w/ Suction Bombs & Inkjet
• Permanent Inkbrush w/ Sprinkler & Ink Armor
• Soda Slosher w/ Splat Bombs & Burst-Bomb Launcher
• Bamboozler 14 Mk III w/ Fizzy Bombs & Bubble Blower
• Grim Range Blaster w/ Burst Bombs & Tenta Missiles
• N-ZAP '83 w/ Sprinkler & Ink Storm
• Aerospray PG w/ Burst Bombs & Booyah Bomb
• Sploosh-o-matic 7 w/ Splat Bombs & Ultra Stamp
• Heavy Splatling Remix w/ Point Sensor & Booyah Bomb
• Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose w/ Splash Wall & Bubble Blower
• Tenta Camo Brella w/ Ink Mines & Ultra Stamp
• Clear Dapple Dualies w/ Torpedo & Splashdown

I think I'm going to fall in love with the N-Zap '83 and the Bamboozler Mk III

Aerospray PG with Burst Bomb and Booyah Bomb

XtJhyZK.jpg

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sploosh-o-matic 7 w/ Splat Bombs & Ultra Stamp
I blame you for this winstein
That Bamboozler makes me angry just looking at it. Deals 99.9 damage with Main Power Up spam, has the scum Fizzy Bomb, and Bubbles!? Good lord what a gross kit. Inkbrush looks really good. Sprinkler fixes its painting problem so it should build special faster than the other kits and Armor compliments its aggressive play. Heavy Splatling Remix is atrocious, Aerospray looks...okay and is definitely the best of the three kits, and the rest seem fine.

The new Tenta Brella looks the most interesting as the shield fixes one of Hammer's huge faults that it is crazy vulnerable from the front still. Now you can launch the shield and then use that for cover while you jump swing or aim a throw. But it'll probably be a meme kit. All three parts of the kit are inconsistent.

I do think it's funny how after two attempts at new kits, Goo Tuber never got one. They knew it was so bad no combination could ever help it. Throw it in the toilet.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Welp, egg on my face for saying they wouldn't announce anything at an American-specific event, only for them to do exactly that a day later. My bad! I'm too used to the NA scene being largely ignored by the dev team. At least it's good that they're coming this soon. I wonder if the patch will bring other balance updates, or if they'll wait to see how the Sheldon's Picks shake things up before trying to over-address things.

Heavy Splatling Remix is atrocious
As someone who had the Heavy Deco among his favorite weapon kits in the entirety of Splatoon 1 I can't say I agree with this. The sensors do a good job in helping to keep you on-track when firing down enemies, can help deter flankers and provides nice support from the backline. Changing out Kraken for Booyah Bomb definitely hurts from the standpoint of losing the instant "get off me" button but on the other hand gives you a special that can be used without having to charge forward, which was always a bit awkward for the heavy as you'd need to retreat to somewhere pretty safe and waste a portion of your Kraken time in the process. On the downside, while I think all the parts of this new kit synergize well with each other, it's also a kit that firmly plants it in the "stay back from the main action" camp in a game that right now seems to really favor aggressive play and displacement. I don't think it's a bad kit but I look at stuff like the Clear Dapples getting torpedo of all things, and Main Power Up SplatterPro being a thing, and I think it becomes harder to justify Heavy Remix being a real contender, along with a great number of other weapons.

Basically I'll just continue saying that reintroducing Damage Up remains the worst thing the team has ever done to this game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I blame you for this winstein
That Bamboozler makes me angry just looking at it. Deals 99.9 damage with Main Power Up spam, has the scum Fizzy Bomb, and Bubbles!? Good lord what a gross kit. Inkbrush looks really good. Sprinkler fixes its painting problem so it should build special faster than the other kits and Armor compliments its aggressive play. Heavy Splatling Remix is atrocious, Aerospray looks...okay and is definitely the best of the three kits, and the rest seem fine.

The new Tenta Brella looks the most interesting as the shield fixes one of Hammer's huge faults that it is crazy vulnerable from the front still. Now you can launch the shield and then use that for cover while you jump swing or aim a throw. But it'll probably be a meme kit. All three parts of the kit are inconsistent.

I do think it's funny how after two attempts at new kits, Goo Tuber never got one. They knew it was so bad no combination could ever help it. Throw it in the toilet.

No amount of ink armor can save the brush, and i've never seen a painting problem with it. I can build splashdown in 5 seconds. The problem is surviving on an environment where everything crushes you both from distance and close combat. That's why the bombs actually are the only thing preventing it from being even more lower tier than what it already is. Sprinkler is a terrible decision.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The patch notes are available currently (in Japanese). It's for certain that the English translation will emerge eventually.

An interesting change I see is how Haunt will work. Haunt will now last for the duration of the match assuming the revenge hasn't taken place, and up to 4 opponents can be tagged by this effect. Of course the effect will disappear if the revenge has been taken, though its effect is only lost on the revenge-splatted so any other opponents that weren't splatted will still have the effect applied. (I think this is the effect; need to wait for clarification)

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Ah yes, faster base swimming speed for the Sploosh and more ink efficiency for the Jr. That's what the game's been missing!

The Haunt change is interesting, though if the marking still comes with the Respawn Punisher effect and that now lasts until you actually kill them, I wonder if Haunt isn't about to become a little overtuned. There aren't many situations where I would ever see Punisher itself being run over Haunt in that case.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sploosh o Matic
+Increased swim speed and reduced time to reach max swim speed in squid form

Splattershot Jr
+Reduced ink usage by 14%

Aerospray
+Improved painting spread of shots that hit the ground

52 Gal
+Increased minimum damage from 26 to 30

NZap
+Increased ink spread at feet by 6%
+Improved effect of Main Power Up with fewer abilities equipped

96 Gal
+Increased minimum damage from 31 to 35

Nova Blaster
+Reduced time to recover ink after firing by 5 frames

Inkbrush
+Adjusted damage distribution so falloff damage loss is not as severe
+When using Main Power Up in addition to current effects, now increased inkspread when running with the brush down.

Octobrush
+When using Main Power Up in addition to current effects, now increased inkspread when running with the brush down.

E-Litre (Scope)
+Damage dealt to Splatbrella shield increased by 17%
+Damage dealt to Tentabrella and Undercover shields increased by 20%
+Damage dealt to Bubble Blower bubbles increased by 24%
+Damage dealt to Booya Bomb user's Ink Armor increased by 4%
+Damage dealt to Splash Shield increased by 10%

Heavy Splatling
+Increased run speed while charging by 3%
+Increased run speed while firing by 6%
+Inkspread of droplets at user's feet increased by 7%

Splattershot Pro
-Reduced the effect of Main Power Up. To reach 49.9 damage, the amount of gear points needed has been increased from 3.1 to 3.9 (One main = 1 point, one sub = 0.3 points)

Curling Bomb (I thought the Devs forgot this was in the game since it has been absent from ALL the new kits...)
+Reduced time until ink recovery by 5 frames or 15 depending on how long the button is held. Instant throw, ink recovers 5 frames faster; long hold, ink recovers 15 frames faster.

Curling Bomb Launcher
+Bombs launched with instant throws move 18% faster and travel further.

Bubble Blower (AND THEN THE DEVS REDEEM THEMSELVES!!)
+Increased paint spread of bubbles that touch the ground by 8% (not the bubbles' explosion but them "bouncing" on the ground)
+Reduced time to throw bubbles by 5 frames
+Improved effect of Special Power Up with fewer abilities

Stingray
-When firing, any and all abilities that grant Thermal Ink effect (Thermal Ink and Haunt gear) will also disappear.

Ink Resistance
+Improved ability to jump when in enemy ink
+Improved resistence to walkspeed slowdown when in enemy ink.

Haunt (Holy shit, it's relevant now)
+Effect will now continue indefinitely until the target respawns.
+Increased amount of simultaneous targets possible from 1 to 4.

Special Point adjustments
+Splattershot (Hero): 200 - 190
+Classic Squiffer: 180-170
+Tri-Slosher Nouveau: 180-170
+Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau: 230-220 (Thank christ)
+Dapple Dualies: 180-170
+Dapple Dualies Nouveau: 180-170

Cool patch. Nothing but buffs except for the expected Splattershot Pro's Main Power Up nerf and a "who cares?" nerf for Stingray. Glad the "Short Range Brothers" Sploosh, Jr., and Aero are getting more unique abilities. I was hoping for another Ultra Stamp buff but if we have five kits going now instead of three, it's probably best that it's so weak. Now if only Booyah Bomb wasn't so strong...

EDIT: Fixed an error on Haunt's description.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The Stingray thing is kind of a nerf, but mostly a pre-emptive counter to the way Haunt now works. Having infinite Thermal Ink constantly active on more than one person would make Stingray stupid-useful.

Honestly I'm not really thrilled about the overall feel of this patch, but to be fair nothing the dev team does ever thrills me anymore despite me continuing to play the heck out of the game. Most of this patch just makes the stuff I already found annoying...even more annoying. Incessant Sploosh flanks ahoy!

Meanwhile, all the short range shooters get buffs, except for Splattershot and Splash, and after today Splash will be the only shooter within that range without a third kit. Poor, ignored Splash.