• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This Shifty Station is a fun temporary ranked mode when you've got two teams approaching it properly but quite miserable when you're stuck in a team with three players who only play Turf War.

The idea to tie up at least one person by shooting the switch and/or painting the temporary area is really a kinda smart concept for a competitive mode, as the team currently in control is pushed into a 3 vs 4 situation which enables frequent comebacks.

I'd like it better than Clam Blitz, anyway...

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
tie up at least one person by shooting the switch and/or painting the temporary area
That was my role during most of the matches in this map.
I had really great teams last night, everyone knew what they were doing.
I did exactly 50 matches, won 2 out of 3 10x battles, and had only 3 mirror battles and a few disconnects during matchmaking screens.

vI9bpRp.jpg

I feel pretty confident for team hare.

If only the game was kind enough to let me participate in a 100x battle (._. )
Have you all battled in one yet?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yup, miserable run overall this time. Seemed to hit a nerve with me that's dispiriting.

I do like the new reach on the Squelcher with Main Power Up. Middle of the map in Albacore you could really keep people on the other side pinned down.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Aerosprays being everywhere in a splatfest isn't exactly a new thing, especially now that it just recently received a third kit that allows it to play even more aggressively than the first two. They're always generally popular for the turf output and crazy special-building, even moreso when turf war is the one and only "competitive" mode people have at their disposal, so you get the surface-level casual players, the meme teams, and even some of the higher-caliber players all piling onto it at once.

Good work on team Hare, at least! My actual run to King felt absolutely miserable for the most part, but I wound up playing some extra games later on that helped settle me back down on the game (and I hope led to me ending up with a positive comparative clout-gain by the time I was done in both Pro and Normal modes).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Disappointed in my tortoise brethren but happy with the urchins I got. Rediscovering my love for Splatoon atm.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
And let's be honest, this late into the game's life, one of the biggest pleasures is splatting opponents with an Aerospray. It requires no squidbagging, they've already been humiliated enough.

Mar 19, 2019
Congratulations to all Team Hare players who made this win possible. Slow and steady doesn't win the race when the race has a 3 minute time limit. ;)

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get why people squidbag.

The animation and sound effect are honestly a pretty hilarious combination personally speaking, even if I never waste time with it in a match. It's kinda detrimental in anything other than salmon run but like any taunt it can get in people's heads so it's no surprise people will use it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm self conscious because I love turning in and out of a squid repeatedly for the animation and sound and do it as a celebration with my team but worry it's construed as squidbagging sometimes. I even do it in SP 😣

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see it too much when I play (the people who kill me 95% of the time are in the process of destroying me team) unless I'm in Salmon Run in which case everyone does it on a successful shift. I'm not sure I've ever had a squad not do it in celebration that we got through all 3 while also spamming booyah

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly balance patch 4.7.0 tonight? I like balance patches but you need to chill a bit, Splatoon... Small changes though

Splattershot / 52 Gal / N-Zap
+When using Main Power Up, in addition to current effects will now improve accuracy of shots fired while standing on the ground.

Nova Blaster
+When using Main Power Up, in addition to current effects mid-air explosions will have improved paint spread

Squeezer (getting warmer, but short range needs better painting or faster rate of fire or better walk speed)
+Long range shots require 4% less ink

Splatbrella
-Ink required for regular shots increased by 15% (daaaaaang)

Suction Bomb
+Increased max damage from 180 to 220
*Damage dealt to Bubble Blower bubbles is unchanged*

Beakon
+Improved effect of Sub Power Up with fewer gear abilities

Splashdown
+Increased damage to Ballers by x2.4
+Increased damage to Booyah Bomb user's Ink Armor by x7.5

Object Shredder
+Increased damage to Booyah Bomb user's Ink Armor by 5%

Last Ditch Effort
+During rank modes, Last Ditch Effort will now activate when the enemy team has 50 points or lower and the effect will increase the more that count goes down.
*Reaches max effect at 30 points
*Effect remains the same during Turf War

Special Point Changes
+N-Zap 85: 210-200
+N-Zap 89: 190-180
+Emperry Splat Dualies: 220 - 210 (noooooooooooooooooooooooo)
-Aerospray RG: 170-180
-Aerospray PG: 180-190
-Mini-Splatling: 190-210 (goddammit)
-Heavy Splatling Remix: 180-190
-Kensa Undercover Brella: 180-190 (yay!)

So for Last Ditch Effort, I don't think they actually increased the buffs you get from it but instead you just get fewer amounts of the buffs at enemy's 50 point count before maxing at LDE's current benefit of 2.4 gear ability for Ink Saver Main / Sub / Ink Recovery. Might be good for Clam Blitz but not much else I think. Ink efficiency is not a big concern when you're losing...speed & getting special is.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
NERF ALL BRELLAS! I've always found them annoying :P
I don't get the Suction Bombs buff.
Poor Aerosprays. This Splafest was an Aerospray Special spamfest, so I kinda get it.

After a Salmon Run shift it's a squid party, not squid bagging. There's a difference (in principle).
Yeah, in Salmon Run is actually a celebration of a shift done. During turf it's just unnecessary mockery.

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight, the hairstyles are STILL gender-locked likr in Splatoon 1? Isn't that reinforcing a gender binary?

Also this was kinda passed up but yes the game is still reinforcing the binary with hairstyles, voices and general stances/animations of boy and girl ink/octolings.

I know it's not a replacement for a truly unique avatar for the player's needs but at the very least you're never locked into keeping what you choose. I don't really see Nintendo changing things anytime soon except for a broader selection of hairstyles, possibly for both genders, in the next game since the character creator doesn't seem to be aiming for any significant depth and is honestly less of a focus than the clothing...which has its own issues too despite the fact that no piece of clothing is gender-locked.

Still, despite most people seeming to make a character based on what they find visually appealing (mostly through hair and clothing), there's definitely room for expansion in the character options for those seeking something more personally identifying. Granted the number of options in the second game compared to the first is a fair increase, so it's really up in the air as to what 3 will bring in that regard. Unlocking hairstyles would be an easy first step.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The Suction Bomb damage increase is pretty confusing to me too. They did mention that Bubbles interaction didn't change so the significance couldn't be that. I thought: Ink Armour? But then I remembered that Ink Armour caps excess damage at 80 so it's probably not that. I also don't think the Brella interaction makes too much of a difference because the amount of hits each canopy take doesn't change, as with Booyah Bomb's armour. So I just think that the increased damage is to basically make HP-dependent objects take more damage and clear them faster with other attacks, like the Brella canopies and Rainmaker shield. I think if they wanted to buff the Suction Bomb in some way then perhaps the minimum splash damage could increase, probably to 35.

Mini Splatling's Special increase is interesting because for the first time ever, a Tenta Missiles weapon has a Special requirement of 200+. Perhaps that particular weapon comboed with Tenta Missiles too well.

Last Ditch Effort's gradual increase of abilities are decent so one could theoretically shoot more, and I think it's pretty cool to see but it would be even better if Special Charge Up is part of the abilities due to the nature of Specials as a comeback.

Perhaps the most exciting change is the secondary Main Power Up ability for Splattershot, .52 Gal and N-Zap, since their accuracy is a bit wide.

Speaking of Main Power Up, I think it's interesting how all the Damage Up weapons (not increased splash damage like the Luna currently have) have not got a secondary power up, as though Damage Up is already strong as an ability.

Thank you for reading.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I've really been falling in love with this game all over again lately. In the leadup to SnS I've been playing way more with other people and it feels like I'm continuing to learn so much about how to play this game, which is ridiculous after almost 2 years and 700 something hours.

I'm interested in seeing how this final splatfest will work, I want to believe that they just re-purposed the Octo expansion boss and have you attack a giant marble statue of Pearl's forehead with hyperbombs

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I've really been falling in love with this game all over again lately. In the leadup to SnS I've been playing way more with other people and it feels like I'm continuing to learn so much about how to play this game, which is ridiculous after almost 2 years and 700 something hours.

I'm interested in seeing how this final splatfest will work, I want to believe that they just re-purposed the Octo expansion boss and have you attack a giant marble statue of Pearl's forehead with hyperbombs

I'm the same. I have almost 1000 hours played and mostly focused on 1 weapon. Now that i'm trying new ones my love for the game was renewed. So much stuff to learn, still. Builds to test, etc.

Just wish the support would last more, tbh. Still feels to early to cut it off.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Ehh, more support is always nice, but two years of continually new stuff and new events, all for free, is already more than any of its contemporaries that I can think of. Heavily multiplayer games like this with that kind of continued support usually don't exist without some form of microtransactions or monetization. We got one single-player expansion pack and that's it.

By this point I imagine most of the team has moved on to Animal Crossing or other projects and have been away basically since Octo Expansion wrapped up. S2 has been such a hit that I'm also sure there's some early planning and testing for Splatoon 3 already too, even if there's no real production or release timetable for it yet.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. Guess it's time to move on after that next and last splatfest. I still have Overwatch in my backlog.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really close to level 200 (1250 hours). I always said that once I get to 200, I would start playing something else... but now I'm not so sure... I just enjoy this game so much.
I have a huge backlog, yet if I have free time I'd rather play Splatoon than learn new mechanics for other games (Splatoon is the only MP game I play, tho).

Recommend me some builds, guys!

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're looking to move to next. Like Splatlings are currently in a good spot after 2 years lol.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Ehh, more support is always nice, but two years of continually new stuff and new events, all for free, is already more than any of its contemporaries that I can think of. Heavily multiplayer games like this with that kind of continued support usually don't exist without some form of microtransactions or monetization. We got one single-player expansion pack and that's it.

By this point I imagine most of the team has moved on to Animal Crossing or other projects and have been away basically since Octo Expansion wrapped up. S2 has been such a hit that I'm also sure there's some early planning and testing for Splatoon 3 already too, even if there's no real production or release timetable for it yet.
You don't think Splatoon has a permanent team similar to Zelda at this point?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, you're right. Guess it's time to move on after that next and last splatfest. I still have Overwatch in my backlog.
Just to be clear, my point wasn't for the player-base to move on necessarily, just pointing out that especially without some sort of monetization model for the game to continue providing returns (beyond whatever percentage you want to attribute S2 to people's buying in of Nintendo's paid online), there was always going to come a time for developer support to fall off and their focus shifted onto whatever they're going to sell next. We've already received more than they originally promised, too. It's only an issue if the promise of new content was the only thing keeping someone engaged in the game.

I might not be blown-away shocked if they did, but I find the thought of it pretty unlikely, at least beyond what's already been the DLC Weapon and balance update skeleton crew and maybe some pre-planning folks. For every fully dedicated "Zelda Team" that Nintendo has, many more of them move among different projects. I'd only see the establishment of a permanent team as likely if they feel they really needed to have a Splatoon 3 on this same hardware by 2020 or maybe 2021. Otherwise, they're definitely doing something else, along with most likely being partly responsible for Animal Crossing's development.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017

The next Splatfest map (only two left?)
I'm still hoping they will put 3 maps on rotation for turf wars after the fests are over, the third map always being a Shifty Station. So many good and fun maps that should be played again.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Just to be clear, my point wasn't for the player-base to move on necessarily, just pointing out that especially without some sort of monetization model for the game to continue providing returns (beyond whatever percentage you want to attribute S2 to people's buying in of Nintendo's paid online), there was always going to come a time for developer support to fall off and their focus shifted onto whatever they're going to sell next. We've already received more than they originally promised, too. It's only an issue if the promise of new content was the only thing keeping someone engaged in the game.

I might not be blown-away shocked if they did, but I find the thought of it pretty unlikely, at least beyond what's already been the DLC Weapon and balance update skeleton crew and maybe some pre-planning folks. For every fully dedicated "Zelda Team" that Nintendo has, many more of them move among different projects. I'd only see the establishment of a permanent team as likely if they feel they really needed to have a Splatoon 3 on this same hardware by 2020 or maybe 2021. Otherwise, they're definitely doing something else, along with most likely being partly responsible for Animal Crossing's development.
They don't need 2 mainline Zelda's per console, though it does happen sometimes. With Splatoon, it's become a huge franchise for nintendo with a rich ongoing content rollout. It would be foolish to let the franchise rest when it's clearly on an upswing. It's nintendos CoD, or Destiny and it deserves a dedicated team. Whenever Switch pro hits, a killer selling point would be 4 player 1 console split screen Splatoon. 4 player story coop, and 4 player online couch multiplayer. Splatoon also needs a server side account system. It also needs AI bots with varying difficulty and the ability to command them. Splatoon 2 felt like an enhanced port. Splatoon 3 on Switch could be the game to take it to the next level:

If on Switch Pro:
4 player split screen
Voice chat
Graphics bump

On standard Switch:
Server side account system
Full new game with new modes, ranking system, coop campaign, AI bots, and much more.

Keep a close eye on 2020...

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
I just started playing this... Currently at level 8 and having a blast. What should I focus on? Just play and have fun until I understand what's what? I am currently just randomly painting everything.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They don't need 2 mainline Zelda's per console, though it does happen sometimes. With Splatoon, it's become a huge franchise for nintendo with a rich ongoing content rollout. It would be foolish to let the franchise rest when it's clearly on an upswing. It's nintendos CoD, or Destiny and it deserves a dedicated team. Whenever Switch pro hits, a killer selling point would be 4 player 1 console split screen Splatoon. 4 player story coop, and 4 player online couch multiplayer. Splatoon also needs a server side account system. It also needs AI bots with varying difficulty and the ability to command them. Splatoon 2 felt like an enhanced port. Splatoon 3 on Switch could be the game to take it to the next level:

If on Switch Pro:
4 player split screen
Voice chat
Graphics bump

On standard Switch:
Full new game with new modes, ranking system, coop campaign, AI bots, and much more.

You're not getting 4 player split screen splatoon running on any "switch pro", with whatever specs it could end up reasonably having. Hell, you're almost certainly not getting local two player splatoon for any of the current game modes on switch either either. To do that on the Wii u they had to reduce it to only two players at a time instead of 8, cut the frame rate in half and iirc it had a resolution decrease too.

The calculations required for the ink mechanics are probably very consuming and so unlikely to be possible to replicate for four players all at once.

No. I don't. If I had to guess what they're doing, I'd assume that a large proportion of the splatoon team are working on Animal crossing right now.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Yep, I legit doesn't expect split screen Splatoon anytime soon. Maaaaybe a 2-player co-op offline mode (a campaign or something).

I just started playing this... Currently at level 8 and having a blast. What should I focus on? Just play and have fun until I understand what's what? I am currently just randomly painting everything.

Pretty much. Try weapons, get some fresh clothes, ink around (walls doesn't contribute to the score, ok? But a painted wall can become a shortcut), play the single player campaign, give salmon run a try. When you decide to jump into the competitive modes (you need to be lvl 10 iirc), read about each mode online to get a grasp of it - going blind isn't the best experience.

There's a lot to learn on weapons, clothes' abilities and stuff, but take some time to fool around at first.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Just painting everything is the name of the game for now!. Once you reach level 10, you'll unlock some more difficult modes that come with specific objectives. Think capture the flag or king of the hill type things, but with splatoon twists. There's also salmon run (a cooperative mode) that you can access right now if you want, it's to the left of the place where you go to play turf war.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend playing through the Octo Canyon campaign. It's not exactly an enthralling cinematic experience, but it does do a nice job of introducing to you the basic gist of all the various weapon classes and in particular helps you to get accustomed to just the overall control of moving around in ink and some basic positional tactics. Beyond that, just toy around with weapons, consider their strengths and weaknesses and what sort of way you'd like to play, and go from there. The particulars of the gear system and all of that won't really come into play for you until you're at least level 30 anyway so don't sweat the small stuff for now.

If on Switch Pro:
4 player split screen
Voice chat
Graphics bump

On standard Switch:

Not to be a downer, but....you're not likely to get about 70% of the stuff you listed there. Improved graphics and new modes, sure. Probably a step up in campaign design given what we already saw them do with the Octo Expansion, but I highly doubt that Splatoon is going to go away from P2P connections (since that's already the basis of, what, literally all of their first party online titles?) for the gameplay itself, though maybe server side account info for gear data (at least so that we can actually use the cloud save feature for Splatoon 3, please?). Bot implementation would be really tricky and I have a really hard time imagining it would work particularly well outside of single player campaign style stuff (again like OE's faux-Rainmaker and Tower Control missions). Four player split-screen...definitely not on this hardware and not likely on any Switch Pro either.

Splatoon is a really hot property for them right now, I agree with that much...but Nintendo's rarely ever been the type to rush into fast turnarounds for their other hot properties either. There's never more than one Smash or Mario Kart or Animal Crossing on a system. Zelda or Mario you'll occasionally get more of, but those are also primarily single-player experiences where the shelf-life of the game itself doesn't have an online player-base to keep people invested. Splatoon 2 was as rushed as it was after the first game because they knew they needed a heavy-hitting property early to sell the Switch and get people into the online ecosystem, and a port of Mario Kart and a new venture in ARMS weren't guarantees at the time to spark things. Now that both Splatoon and the Switch itself are pretty well cemented, they can take their time in building Splatoon 3 to give it some more unique systems and mechanics, in addition to the typical sequel bells and whistles. They don't need to be in a hurry about it.