• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Probably two or three more Splatfests.

For what it's worth, I'd like a new Splatoon next year. This isn't Mario Kart. Franchises in this genre aren't left to go dormant. Splatoon has a competitive scene and a world championship. It needs to stay 'fresh'. You either support the current game or release a new one. You don't wait for Switch's successor and let the momentum die for a couple of years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
#DeleteShellendorf

The next shifty station looks fun, I imagine that trench is going to be very deadly. My money is on the next NA splatfest being soup v. salad, mostly so they can make some joke about Pearl only eating salad if it has mayo for dressing

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
So will the final Splatfest be Pearl vs. Marina or Squid Sisters vs. Off the Hook

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if they just automated splatfests. Make 12 generic splatfests (or even just one, I guess) that rotate out each month

Have it in-universe be an excuse for more concerts or grizzco wanting its advertisement stream so all the themes are like Bear vs Salmon (Marina: Didn't we already go thro-- Pearl: YOUR SALMON ARE GOING DOWN....STREAM)

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The golden weapon Salmon Run shift is really highlighting how much worse the Grizzco Brella is than the other ones. Say what you want about the Grizzco Slosher, but that weapon at least has power behind it.

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least it has the painting power and ink efficiency the others sometimes lack and complements them well (except for maybe the charger). Honestly at times I feel like it's almost a tie between the Grizzco Brella and Grizzco Blaster; despite the fire rate the Blaster often feels like it's lacking proper oomph as well.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least it has the painting power and ink efficiency the others sometimes lack and complements them well (except for maybe the charger). Honestly at times I feel like it's almost a tie between the Grizzco Brella and Grizzco Blaster; despite the fire rate the Blaster often feels like it's lacking proper oomph as well.

Yeah, you're right about the turfing. I think Lost Outpost isn't the best map for it, given how bunched up and claustrophobic areas can be. It doesn't create space for itself that quickly, not the best map for it. It's probably the best "medic" of the 4 weapons. Have been impressed by how much Grizzco Slosher seems to shine on Outpost, clearing out doorways, congested areas, and long hallways so well. Compared to the Brella, I find the Grizzo Blaster more consistent in one-rounding Steelheads and keeping damage consistently high.

I'd probably rank 'em at:
1. Grizzco Charger
2. Grizzco Slosher
3. Grizzco Blaster
4. Grizzco Brella

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017

That clip sums up S+ solo queue pretty well I think. We still barely won that oh my fucking god DGIAOWSHOVGISWHAIG

Last edited:

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Grizz charger is probably the most satisfying weapon to have in any rotation. Power, range, power, did I mention power? Yeah you only get like 7 shots but it pierces like 90% of things you want it to go through and having the longest range of any weapon in the game is just the best.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Playing with the Sploosh-o-matic and I'm getting my ass kicked. I'm so used to long range that it seems I completely suck at close combat (and I still can't do squid dashing properly :P)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been building a new found appreciation for the .96 and .52 recently, they're more fun to play than I remember them being

Also I found this guy making inkling covers of vocaloid songs today, and they're such a perfect fit. It almost makes me imagine them as secret bonus tracks in a Splatoon rhythm game by the Project Diva team or vice versa

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't care for the Salmon Run rotation (Glooga/Luna/Heavy Splatling/Splash) but freelanced for a couple hours anyway. Had some interesting highlights I thought were worth sharing:

I don't really play many Inkjet weapons in the normal game but Salmon Run has at least made me competent with it. Surprised in that first clip everything lined up like that.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't care for the Salmon Run rotation (Glooga/Luna/Heavy Splatling/Splash) but freelanced for a couple hours anyway. Had some interesting highlights I thought were worth sharing:

I don't really play many Inkjet weapons in the normal game but Salmon Run has at least made me competent with it. Surprised in that first clip everything lined up like that.

Nice! I had no idea the injket worked against the flyfish :P

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there still really no way me and my friends can party up on the same team each match in regular battle? Like we still have fun, but come on.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
What are you guys voting for? I hate the time travel trope and I'm sure it will be the popular choice, but I kinda want to try the brown ink :P

After the clout introduction, does the popular winner usually loses the non-global fests?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Teleportation, time travel paradoxes are for squares

The popular team has gone 4-4 in NA/EU and 3-6 in JP since they introduced clout, so it's not really a good indicator of if a team will win.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wish random teams would be a bit more balanced. It's always either a super easy win or a total wreck lol

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Team time travel here.
- 21 victories
- 12 defeats
- 1 mirror match
- 5 10x battles, we won 4 of them

Today I'll complete the 50 battles I usually do (at least). I want to participate in a 100x battle before the fests are over :(

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd jump in after not playing in quite some time... huge mistake. I'm not sure why the game thought to put me - who was on a 5 game losing streak - up against a team with a 16 game win streak. WTF? I'm out.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I liked the shifty station once I figured out the optimum strategy, which was to make sure you were pushing the Rollonium into enemy territory at basically all times. Only push yourself physically into enemy territory if you have them in the danger zone. I used a Kensa Splattershot Pro to great effect there, as the Rollonium was really made for that mid-range-heavy-hit. Push from the middle and also shoot up from that one ledge on the side and you get a few good long streaks of ink into enemy territory.

Had a terrible start (first 12 games I went 3-9) but then had my best run of Pro matches in a long time in this one too, going 6-1 (and then doing a seventh after I went out to mod some gear and accidentally picking pro when I came back and winning that one too). I think Team Teleportation takes it, though I was team Time Travel and only did a same-team match once.

Edit: heh, didn't read the news. Yeah, I thought it was going to be a blowout. You can tell the more popular team is the other side when you get few to no same-team matches and they match you with an opposing team quickly every time, taking longer to put your team together, but then I could see Teleportation winning more of the 100x matches and generally having some really OP players on their side.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Team time travel is now proven to be a bunch of frauds, if they really could travel to the future they would have known they were going to lose and joined team teleportation

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Team time travel is now proven to be a bunch of frauds, if they really could travel to the future they would have known they were going to lose and joined team teleportation
Oh, we did. But if you know anything about time travel is that any change to the past causes a new timeline to splinter from the original. You can't make a timeline that already occurred cease to exist. That's just ridiculous.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it turned out to be a 0-3 sweep, because time travel is clearly the better power, and of the several 100x match results I saw, all but one were won by time travel.

Anyways, I need to be turned into a carnival act or something. "Watch the person with over 150 hours of Splatoon 2 that still doesn't really know how aiming in it works!"

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The Splatfest ending in a one-sided victory for Teleportation is very surprising for me, but a pleasant one nonetheless (obviously because I picked that side). The brown colour used for Time Travel looks pretty good, and not so disgustingly brown. Roloniums are a really nice obstacle to base a match around on, because you can do a lot with them, usually just paving a path.

I thought the Clout system makes the result not as predictable compared to using straight win percentages, since the previous system heavily favours the team with the lower popularity due to having more opportunities to change the percentage to their favour.

The Clash Blaster Neo is a surprisingly solid pick most of the time, because that's my go-to weapon for Rainmaker. Currently still at S+8 but this weapon basically carried me several levels. For Clam Blitz it's a bit more inconsistent so it's not my go-to pick. My gear is Quick Respawn oriented since my experience with it led me to believe that it usually get trades, and sometimes assists, so to get back to the field for more slaying is very welcomed. Special Charge Up is another perk that I like to use mainly for Tenta Missiles, as well as Ink Recovery Up for faster recovery.

Thank you for reading.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last Splatoon 2 soundtrack, "Splatoon 2 live in Maku-Hari" releases in July (to coincide with the Pearl and Marina plushes and the last Splatfest). Same as Octotune, one regular edition and one with the blu-ray of the latest concert. Definitely getting this day 1 for that live version of Fly Octo Fly.

Also has the last few battle tracks released after Octotune came out like Entropical by SashiMori

Will also include a medley of Splatoon and Splatoon2 music composed by DJ Octavio. This is going to be amazing

y_5ce582364cd17.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The last Splatoon 2 soundtrack, "Splatoon 2 live in Maku-Hari" releases in July (to coincide with the Pearl and Marina plushes and the last Splatfest). Same as Octotune, one regular edition and one with the blu-ray of the latest concert. Definitely getting this day 1 for that live version of Fly Octo Fly.

Also has the last few battle tracks released after Octotune came out like Entropical by SashiMori

Will also include a medley of Splatoon and Splatoon2 music composed by DJ Octavio. This is going to be amazing

y_5ce582364cd17.jpg

So it contains the best track: Entropical? Color me interested.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God, the pre-Off the Hook appearances are such a fuckin LOOK for both of them

here's the hi-res art
Ve4QyOW.jpg

5xF5qxm.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man that art is so good. I might have to import it just so I can show it off

Looking at the track list, I hope that disclaimer about the songs possibly changing before release is a sign that Pearl and Marina will have solo songs for the final splatfest like Callie and Marie did

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The fact that it is a water map means that it would probably be a brighter Shifty Station compared to the darker ones, which is fine by me since the bright look has never been made into the map before.

In terms of the future balance patch, I am hoping that Bomb Launcher gets an upgrade, such as a longer base duration, longer max duration with Special Power Up or even faster throwing time (when thrown further). Personally it felt awkward to use Burst Bomb Launcher only because the weapons that got this Special work best if this is a Sub Weapon, but them being a Special means they cannot be used regularly.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
New patch notes for version 4.8! Sadly no Bomb Launcher buff like I wanted a few hours ago. Anywa, here are the changes:

Jet Squelcher: Effective painting range increased by 10%.
Carbon Roller: Reduced ink consumption by 12% on horizontal and vertical swings. Each flick will now use up 4% ink, compared to 4.5%
Splat Roller: Vertical inking range extended.
Dapple Dualies: Reduced shooting ink consumption by 7%. Each shot will now use up 0.7% ink, compared to 0.75%
Splat Dualies: Reduced shooting ink consumption by 5%. Each shot will now use up 0.76% ink, compared to 0.8%
Mini Splatling: Increased ink consumption by 15%. A full charge will use up 17.25%. This makes it go from 6.66 to 5.80 full charges.
Heavy Splatling: Reduced damage from 32 to 30.
Ballpoint Splatling: Effective painting range in long range mode reduced by 8%.
Tenta Brella: Reduced pellet damage from 17.5 to 17.

Splash Wall: Activates 5/60s earlier. (5 frames)

Inkjet: Damage to Brella canopies increased.
By 25%: Splat Brella and Undercover Brella
By 75%: Tenta Brella
Booyah Bomb: Armour durability reduced by 6%

Splattershot: 190 -> 180
Blaster: 190 -> 180
Fresh Squiffer: 190 -> 180
Splat Charger: 210 -> 220
Splatterscope: 210 -> 220
Tenta Brella: 190 -> 200
Tenta Camo Brella: 190 -> 200
Kensa Undercover Brella: 190 -> 200

The changes are generally not that interesting to me, but they felt like it's game changing all the same. Mainly that the better Splatlings have some nerfs that made them less effective, and how Tenta Brella has a slight damage reduction (so its maximum damage is reduced to 119 as a consequence).

It's interesting that Kensa Splattershot didn't have a Special Point increase, given how that weapon is seen as a prime choice over Tentatek (but not that far ahead of it, I think). I wonder when we could get a Special Point decrease for Slosher, though I guess the main weapon being great may be a reason it's not reduced yet.

Thank you for reading.