1. atmuh

atmuh
    Member OP

I think this deserves its own thread. If you go to Nintendo's page for the Splatoon 2 starter pack (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/splatoon-2-starter-pack-switch), this is all the way at the bottom in tiny print.

I have a lot of time put into Splatoon and I know my 100 hours is a ton less than a lot of other people. I'd be really annoyed if I lost my progress due to any future issue, especially if I'm paying Nintendo for their online service.

Edit: Additional games that have the same message
    • Pokémon Let's Go
    • FIFA 19
    • Dark Souls Remastered
    Mod Edit:
    Mod Edit 2:
    NBA 2K19 and Dead Cells have removed the message.

2. Wander

Wander

It's probably to prevent cheating. Expect the Pokemon games to do the same....

3. Yoshimitsu126

Yoshimitsu126

Oh man I hope Smash supports cloud saves.

4. Parvaati

Parvaati

This is the one game I wanted Cloud Saves for because heaven forbid if I had to grind for my gear sets again. Really angry if this game is excluded...

5. Maintenance

Maintenance

Couldn't they save on their servers?

Splatoon seems like a game fit for that instead of local saves.

6. tyraniboah

tyraniboah

What data actually gets saved locally?

7. Platy

Platy

any chance this is happening because your gear is already tied to your profile online or something ?

8. atmuh

atmuh
    Member OP

By this logic every Nintendo Switch Online game should exclude it, even tho the service to enable cloud saves is called Nintendo Switch Online.

9. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

That's what I'm wondering too, but then you do have the single player content.

10. Xavi

Xavi

I'll be extremely mad if I lose my 600h progress somehow.

11. And it starts. Offer cloud saves and dont even support it for all your games.

12. LegendofLex

LegendofLex

This seems like an egregious oversight. Hopefully they can use some kind of account-based system like the ones we see in other online games that isn't necessarily tied to the save files managed on Switch systems themselves. Obviously they have some user data on their servers already or the SplatNet 2.0 features couldn't function.

13. Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

I was thinking the same. This makes no sense

14. Sylmaron

Sylmaron

Ridiculous.

15. KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

Not even for the Octo-Expansion stuff?

16. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

That's probably fairly easy to test or verify.

But even if that is the case what about the single player progress?

17. aiswyda

aiswyda

For splatoon? All of it. It’s not like most online games where your progress is uploaded to a server—if you play splatoon on a different switch with your NNID logged in you won’t have any of your gear or weapons or levels or anything.

18. rzmunch

rzmunch

What???? But why? They should save it serve side!

19. It’s to prevent cheating. The cloud save feature works in exactly the same way as the 3DS Save Backup feature; it’s on by default, but devs can block it if it would enable cheating (which is why AC New Leaf, Monster Hunter and the Pokemon games blocked it).

20. Vertpin

Vertpin

That's wack.

21. MrCarter

MrCarter

Pretty pathetic.

22. Squids and Octopus belong in the sea, not the sky.

23. Geg

Geg

It sucks but I kind of saw this coming. They don't want people save scumming for gear and ranked like what happened in Splatoon 1.

I'm expecting the same shit for Xenoblade 2 now, urgh

24. Atheerios

Atheerios

WTF why?

Splatoon 2 is my most precious save. I don't understand how by restoring an older backup you could cheat; you can only lose.

25. Dyle

Dyle

I think most of Splatoon's save data is on Nintendo's servers, which is why you can see everything through the Nintendo Switch Online app. It somewhat already has cloud saves, although I'm not sure if that includes all of the single player stuff

26. aiswyda

aiswyda

I understand it being to prevent cheating but they should offer an alternative then. Save the data to the servers so you can access it even if you lose your system. Nintendo needs to keep up with modern technology instead of presenting a gutted version of it

27. carlosrox

carlosrox

Fuck Nintendo is super annoying with their online shit.

28. Lmao that’s fucking wack.

29. Platy

Platy

Can't you buy gear with the phone app ?
    How does that work if it is all on the switch ?

30. memoryman3

memoryman3

Probably to prevent cheating. Animal Crossing will be the same most likely

31. I just don’t see a scenario where you can cheat or anything with a backup.

32. memoryman3

memoryman3

Save scumming for gear and such.

33. tyraniboah

tyraniboah

Oh wow. They can’t expect people to take cloud saves seriously if they won’t at least let you keep the gear. That’s nuts

34. Windrunner

Windrunner

Stop it with the cheat prevention excuse making please. Everyone else has figured this out except Nintendo.

35. Frecklestein

Frecklestein

Cheaters will always find a way. This is just punishing to the fans who can't do anything about it.

36. This honestly. I can back up literally everything on any other device and yet I don’t see people ever using their backups to cheat. Like it’s a non issue.

37. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood

There's already cloud saves in its own way in Splatoon 2, client and server compares save data and rolls back if necessary.

38. memoryman3

memoryman3

Nintendo have stepped up their security game, and maybe Splatoon might support it in the future, but stuff such as tickets and gear can be exploited due to single player etc.

39. aiswyda

aiswyda

I have no clue, all I know is that when I tried to play my level 20 splatoon character on my boyfriend’s switch while properly logged in to my account, it just made me play from the very beginning.

40. LegendofLex

LegendofLex

you can cheat by reverting to an old save every time you get a gear slot roll you don't like

41. Atheerios

Atheerios

This is bigger than expected: Nintendo has started putting that warning on every game that doesn't support cloud saves. Pokémon is one of them.

42. randomhugs

randomhugs

Y'all know it already has it's own version of that right? At least for the online stuff. If you try to play while not online you can only do single player stuff. Like, you can't even buy stuff from the shops. They tell you to come back after connecting.

43. xxbrothawizxx

xxbrothawizxx

Of course there had to be a catch...

44. Eumi

Eumi

No way Pokemon will have them then.

I don’t know why I didn’t expect this.

45. Geg

Geg

Happened all the time in Splatoon 1. Make a backup that you can go back to so you can try indefinitely when rolling for gear abilities, or go back to constantly save scum your way up in ranked so that your losses don't count.

Trying to do that in Splatoon 2 would cause a lot of weird consequences now that I think about it, because Nintendo keeps up with a ton of stats for each player online. It's how they track the top rankings for players in Splatfest and X rank.

46. Honestly make it so some features automatically save to the cloud when accessed. This could work for Pokemon trades, Animal Crossing, etc. like this shit has been figured out for years and years.

47. atmuh

atmuh
    Member OP

can we get a list of them? I'll edit them into op and maybe a mod can change the title

48. aiswyda

aiswyda

I’m deeply worried by the amount of people in this thread that think Splatoon saves all your gear to the server and is accessible from wherever....it doesn’t yall, go try it out.
    Maybe it’s changed since I tried last year but I doubt it.

49. Heartskips

Heartskips

lol what even supports cloud save then. Splatoon and Pokémon are the two games that need it the most.

50. Instro

Instro

Lol I don't play the game, but what an incredibly stupid setup.