• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Wait WHAT?! Splatoon 2 not having cloud saves?! That was like half the damn appeal of subbing to the service to begin with because I don't care about losing my save data for single player games I've already completed, but I do care about potentially losing hundreds of hours of Splatoon 2 progress, and that was a very real concern for me earlier in the year when a system update broke my Switch's ability to go online for a time. God dammit Nintendo. God dammit.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took this for people to finally turn on their paid online? It was already a joke before this

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
For Splatoon it's weird because you can't change anything important in your save without going online, so the data could be saved continuousely and not in cloud bursts.
Well, except they'd have to completely retool how saves are managed in the game compared to now to do that. The game was not built with online saves in mind.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
For Splatoon it's weird because you can't change anything important in your save without going online, so the data could be saved continuousely and not in cloud bursts.
Well, except they'd have to completely retool how saves are managed in the game compared to now to do that. The game was not built with online saves in mind.

so, patch it? i'm sure a game that still receives updates is still possible to be patched to change the way it handles save data, especially if it's a feature that is behind a paywall in the first place.

FeArTriX

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon 2 is not included???

That is the dumbest thing a have reas all day. I just hope that Smash has one at least.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
They need to update Splatoon asap! It needs to be server side. We will be paying for online dammit.

Seems I wont pay for some time.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once ther paid service goes up and people won't be able to play Mario Kart 8, the shitshow will truly begin.
Because their way of communication of this nonline service is atrocious and the actual benefits
are a joke. You get less in 2018 than what was basic featurelevel over 10 years ago and the few
benefits it does offer are half assed

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
That's not the point. This old and tired argument shouldn't be used anymore. The only thing that matters is that some people do care and that it affects them. Consumers have every right to complain about business practices that end up hurting them. If it doesn't affect you, then leave it. However, you don't get to invalidate the concerns of everyone else that cares.

"No one cares" isn't even a point. It's a deflection.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The game's servers don't store important information that acts as the official source that gets synced with the save if there are conflicts? How do Steam, PS4/PS3, and Xbox One games get past this potential issue? It doesn't even make sense for single-player games where there aren't even achievements/trophies that could possibly be exploited.

The best thing about cloud saves, at least for PS4/PS3, is that if I fuck something up, I can easily quit and redownload the save as a backup so I can avoid some potentially irreversible mistakes I've made in games.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is another example of what I find to be one of Nintendo's biggest and most consistent failing as a company: Dissonance among their initiatives.

Like, look at the Nintendo Online app -- I know it's not the most popular thing in terms of voice chat, but bear with me. On the up side, it syncs with your My Nintendo account and your Switch user profile. So, for Splatoon 2, you can buy gear, track your stats and take a look at current in-game events using the app. Which means that Nintendo Online is already storing some of your Splatoon 2 data on the server side. That's nice. It's convenient. For all of the app's many flaws, it was a good start in that respect.

But that's all it was -- a start that Nintendo let run out of gas and then left stranded on the side of the road (to this day, the app still supports only one game). Why, when the beginning of a server-side saving infrastructure is already there, do they just roll out the full-fledged Nintendo Online and not expand on, iterate upon or integrate what is already there? They do this shit constantly and have been doing it for decades; just roll out some sort of initiative -- often something that is imperfect but has potential for growth -- and then leave those projects in the dust while starting from square one on a new, totally dissonant thing. It's why we paid for the same Virtual Console games three times and now have nothing to show for it, why Miitomo's initial burst of popularity ended with a wet fart despite how it was an obvious candidate for system-level integration, and why we're here now. Rather than benefiting from a consistent online service that grows and improves over time, we've have Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, then we started from square one with Nintendo Network, and now we're starting from square one again with Nintendo Online.

Nintendo spends a lot of time building foundations, then forgets to build the house before moving on to the next foundation. It's frustrating, to say the least.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda crazy. I hope the update that brings cloud saves also gives a way to save locally and back them up. Talk about ruining some of the excitement of my new Switch purchase.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
This is another example of what I find to be one of Nintendo's biggest and most consistent failing as a company: Dissonance among their initiatives.

Like, look at the Nintendo Online app -- I know it's not the most popular thing in terms of voice chat, but bear with me. On the up side, it syncs with your My Nintendo account and your Switch user profile. So, for Splatoon 2, you can buy gear, track your stats and take a look at current in-game events using the app. Which means that Nintendo Online is already storing some of your Splatoon 2 data on the server side. That's nice. It's convenient. For all of the app's many flaws, it was a good start in that respect.

But that's all it was -- a start that Nintendo let run out of gas and then left stranded on the side of the road (to this day, the app still supports only one game). Why, when the beginning of a server-side saving infrastructure is already there, do they just roll out the full-fledged Nintendo Online and not expand on, iterate upon or integrate what is already there? They do this shit constantly and have been doing it for decades; just roll out some sort of initiative -- often something that is imperfect but has potential for growth -- and then leave those projects in the dust while starting from square one on a new, totally dissonant thing. It's why we paid for the same Virtual Console games three times and now have nothing to show for it, why Miitomo's initial burst of popularity ended with a wet fart despite how it was an obvious candidate for system-level integration, and why we're here now. Rather than benefiting from a consistent online service that grows and improves over time, we've have Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, then we started from square one with Nintendo Network, and now we're starting from square one again with Nintendo Online.

Nintendo spends a lot of time building foundations, then forgets to build the house before moving on to the next foundation. It's frustrating, to say the least.

I hope they give the app a fair shake even if the foundation of the idea is terrible. The individual game apps are pretty cool. It's crazy Mario Kart 8 and Aces haven't been added. Comparing ghost data or possibly even predownloading ghosts to race later would be awesome. Just comparing the stats the game already tracks would be cool too. They seem completely disinterested in fostering online communities.

I don't have any faith in them at all. I expect MK9 to support it at least :/

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to get the multiplayer stuff fully stored on and retrieved from the servers in Splatoon 2 (with a local cache so you can wander around the plaza offline). Then allowing backups for single player progress would be just fine.

Re: Pokémon, I know cloning would definitely be an issue, but honestly I feel like cloning is pretty benign as far as Pokémon cheating goes. It's not like Pokémon hasn't had a history of easily accessible cloning glitches.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
The upate reasoning for cloud save exclusion on Splatoon 2 is just ridiculous. Does Nintendo assumes all players on Xbox, PS4 and PC cheat on Overwatch to remain in a igher rank? That's downright insulting.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
As expected from my beloved Nintendo, online features are way behind every other console. After all they still want us to chat using that smartphone app, they don't have dedicated servers, we still can't send a text message to our friends within the console, they don't even save progression of online AAA games like Splatoon 2 on their server! Every online game has progressions saved on their servers, even indie games like Rocket League(at least it was indie at launch) has it, with Nintendo games instead if you loose your console local save you loose all your online progress, rank, items etc...
They really need to wake up, it's 2018 for god sake

OP
OP
atmuh

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to get the multiplayer stuff fully stored on and retrieved from the servers in Splatoon 2 (with a local cache so you can wander around the plaza offline). Then allowing backups for single player progress would be just fine.

Re: Pokémon, I know cloning would definitely be an issue, but honestly I feel like cloning is pretty benign as far as Pokémon cheating goes. It's not like Pokémon hasn't had a history of easily accessible cloning glitches.
as long as if I was on a different switch I didn't have to get my gear all over again I'd be fine. This does include single player progress though as some gear is locked behind completion of the campaign

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
I can understand third party games if there is something that needs to be added by the developer, but first party and Nintendo published titles not having this feature makes little sense to me. One would expect that supporting these features would be required internally.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I didn't see something similar on Nintendo.com's website, but Nintendo UK/EU lists Save Data Cloud compatible games.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?f=147394-5-81-18802
(general Switch Online page for cloud saves http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/Save-Data-Cloud-1437885.html)
According to their infos, 1049 out of 1096 games will support the cloud backup.
I think that's quite the fair amount for a service that can be toggled on or off by devs if they wish to.
You can also search for certain games on the top; as long as you've toggled the filters, they stay in place. That's quite handy to check if your games are compatible.

Omissions that stand out immediately (and which already were confirmed on here) are Fifa 19, Dark Souls Remastered, Splatoon 2, 1-2 Switch or Pokemon Let's Go E/P.
Interestingly enough Dead Cells is listed on there! So this seems to have been a mistake or they thought it over again.

I tried to figure out a way to separate the 47 games not supporting the feature, but nothing comes to my mind how to do so. Would be quite helpful I think.
Maybe someone else finds a way to toggle certain filters to single out those titles.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I simply want to back up my XC2 and BotW files. I have 250+ hours and 150+ hours respectively, and I don't want that to simply disappear if something happens to my Switch.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
47 games not supporting the feature
Fifa 19
Fifa 18
GO VACATION
Splatoon 2
1-2 Switch
Dark Souls Remastered
Minecraft
Fortnite
Animal Crossing Switch
Luigi's Mansion 3
FF Chrystal Chronicles Remastered
FF XII
FF VII
FF IX
NSMBU Deluxe
Desert Child
Dragon: Marked for Death
Transistor
Pokemon LG Evee
Pokemon LG Pikachu
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP

So far for now. Clearly, most of these are still not released yet, so they might be subject to change. I'll try to figure out more later...

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'll try to figure out more later...
Fifa 19
Fifa 18
GO VACATION
Splatoon 2
1-2 Switch
Dark Souls Remastered
Minecraft
Fortnite
Animal Crossing Switch
Luigi's Mansion 3
FF Chrystal Chronicles Remastered
FF XII
FF VII
FF IX
NSMBU Deluxe
Desert Child
Dragon: Marked for Death
Transistor
Pokemon LG Evee
Pokemon LG Pikachu
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP

Whispering Willows
Little Dragons Café
A Case of Distrust
Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle
Danger Mouse: The Danger Games
Doughlings: Arcade
The Mahjong Huntress
ACA Neogeo Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Arcade Archives RYGAR
Super Dungeon Tactics
The Spectrum Retreat
Shadow Fight 2
STAY
Time Carnage
ACA Neogeo Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (might be wrong / supported, as it is listed twice somehow)
Slam Land
Dawn of the Breakers
Red Hot Ricochet

It's Spring Again
Party Trivia
BINGO for Nintendo Switch
NORTH
Air Hockey
Spot the Difference
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
Othello

Checked the complete UK list; that's seemingly all of them so far. Though I certainly cannot completely rule out mistakes on my part.

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Fortnite & Minecraft don't really count as they have their own server back up.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition is as good as discontinued. You can't buy it anymore and everyone gets a free upgrade to Minecraft (2018 version).

Odd that two random ACA Neo Geo games are on there.