• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon alone should go back to those old batteries so eventually you just lose everything. That's more like it.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is interesting.

It says it doesn't support cloud saves on Steam too, but it apparently does.

I mean, it could also just be some intern updating pages from a sheet and not knowing anything else. There's really no reason for DS or Dead Cells to not have cloud saves, like that just reads like an error.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'd love to see Pokemon use a hybrid system where you can back up your game progress (locally and in the cloud), but you can only back up your data for your actual Pokemon via Bank.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
FYI for all the posters in this thread who think that cloud saves would compromise the integrity of a game like Pokemon. The way it works on ps4 and xbone is that saves are typically locked to a user. Meaning that most games won't support it if I copied my save to anyone's account other than mine.

There is no mass cheating or exploits caused by having saves that can be backed up. That's a bullshit argument and a lot of people on this thread should be ashamed of defending anti-consumer practices under the guise that those practices are there to protect Pokemon (LOL)

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Yes, and it's the right decision

Trade a Pokémon away. Reset your save. Pokémon cloned.

They'd never allow that

how about a better solution that is saves are on servers only? not only your save will be always safe, it will also prevent people from hacking their own saves or doing the duplication thing because it is always loaded from the server and saved there.

there is 0 reasons they are not doing this and it is stupid.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
how about a better solution that is saves are on servers only? not only your save will be always safe, it will also prevent people from hacking their own saves or doing the duplication thing because it is always loaded from the server and saved there.

You can trade Pokémon locally, offline. That's a big part of Pokémon.

So that wouldn't work.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FYI for all the posters in this thread who think that cloud saves would compromise the integrity of a game like Pokemon. The way it works on ps4 and xbone is that saves are typically locked to a user. Meaning that most games won't support it if I copied my save to anyone's account other than mine.

There is no mass cheating or exploits caused by having saves that can be backed up. That's a bullshit argument and a lot of people on this thread should be ashamed of defending anti-consumer practices under the guise that those practices are there to protect Pokemon (LOL)
That's not the type of cheating that is relevant on the Switch. Nvidia's fuckup blew the system wide open and allows for tons of significant cheating that can effect competitive games like Splatoon and Pokemon, which doesn't exist on the other systems which are much harder to hack. It isn't a major reason why this bs ought to be defended but the situation is very different from other systems. Saying that it isn't a problem at all isn't gelpfhe to anyone

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Nintendo to do this with some of their games, but... EA? Bamco? Does Switch have a huge vulnerability that other consoles don't? I mean, it's already hacked, but I'd figure the other consoles are as well?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

How would this be possible with a system that is routinely offline? No saving?

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018

So, essentially turning it into an online-required game to save/load? That's definitely not gonna be received well at all.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
They're locked to an account, so as long as you sign in with your account you can resume the save on any machine where you're signed in. If you go offline and never manually reload the save, you can just savescum repeatedly by reloading your cloud save, going offline, then deleting your save if you don't get the result you want.

Now you're not just locking save backups behind a paywall, you're also locking access to save data behind an internet connection.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know what's worse? Eventually hackers will fuck things up and get a leg up, while normal consumers will stay with an inferior product because "we must protect against hackers!"

That sure worked out well so far (no browser, we must keep hackers out!, etc)

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Nintendo to do this with some of their games, but... EA? Bamco? Does Switch have a huge vulnerability that other consoles don't? I mean, it's already hacked, but I'd figure the other consoles are as well?

PS4 has an entire save-cheating/editing market and tools on sale, they just don't care.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, specially because alternative solutions like Pokémon Bank exist. This is literally the only way.

No, the solution would be to sync your save with cloud as soon as you boot the game and connect online. This problem has been solved elsewhere a long time ago. This is beyond embarrassing especially for an online centered game like Splatoon 2.

You know what's worse? Eventually hackers will fuck things up and get a leg up, while normal consumers will stay with an inferior product because "we must protect against hackers!".

That sure worked out well so far (no browser, we must keep hackers out!, etc)

Not eventually, you can already backup all your saves with hacked Switch. The homebrew app actually does a pretty decent job too.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even the biggest fanboy should be defending this trash service. I have over 500 hours on Splatoon 2, and have several friends who have well over a thousand hours on it, I would be absolutely butt-blasted if i lost all that progress.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I love how people are trying to bash Game Freak decision here about not allowing cloud backups when it's literally the only solution that prevents cheating.

So far nobody has provided an alternative way that cloud saves could be supported for Pokémon while preventing cloning Pokémon.

Pokémon Bank exists, that's the cloud solution for Pokémon.

OP
OP
atmuh

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Not even the biggest fanboy should be defending this trash service. I have over 500 hours on Splatoon 2, and have several friends who have well over a thousand hours on it, I would be absolutely butt-blasted if i lost all that progress.
i love the expression butt-blasted

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
So, essentially turning it into an online-required game to save/load? That's definitely not gonna be received well at all.

to prevent hacking this is the only solution there is and none other.

if they think preventing cloud saves will stop the pokemon hackings then they are doing the wrong thing, people will easily hack the switchs saves and trade them offline with people or to the other systems.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pokémon not supporting cloud saves doesn't surprise me, but Splatoon 2 not supporting it is a bit of a shocker.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I understand some other games, but people need to give up on Pokemon allowing for cloud saves. You need to be able to save offline and have trading. It just won't work.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't claim to have a solution for cheating, but for a game like Pokemon and Splatoon 2, which I would never sell because my progress in those games had a lot of meaning to me, really really sucks. I understand the possible reasons but having stuff like this at the start of a (delayed) online service doesn't look good. Hopefully they clarify things very soon.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
No, the solution would be to sync your save with cloud as soon as you boot the game and connect online. This problem has been solved elsewhere a long time ago. This is beyond embarrassing especially for an online centered game like Splatoon 2.
1. I have a nice shiny Pokémon on my game
2. I trade it locally to my second Switch, while both are offline
3. I delete the save from the first Switch before it connects online
4. I restore my Pokémon backup
5. I now have 2 nice shiny Pokémon

So yeah, that still doesn't work.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I sort of get it, considering cloud saves could promote scumming behavior for online games. On the other hand there should be some sort of server-side thing that saves your ranking and items regardless. If they got that existing as a thing by then, they should announce that.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
to this day I still don't understand why captured pokemon savedata isn't saved separately from progress data. I understand not wanting to clone pokemon, but I want my pokedex and badges saved so I dont have to catch them all a fifth time because of data loss.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more wondering if they're not just going to update Splatoon 2s already nigh-full save upload into a psuedo-backup feature. In which case you'd not need cloud saves and the game already does it, just not completely.

You'd only risk losing single player content but even that would be a trivial flag.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Did you play a pokemon game before?

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Are we assuming that Bamco, for example, is not allowing Dark Souls cloud saving because Nintendo allows them to have this option (which is not the case for MS and Sony)?

I really don't get it. If they don't care about it on other consoles, why would they care now?

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Did you play a pokemon game before?

I've played 6 actually. And I find it hilarious that so many people think Pokemon is in this unique position in the industry. The lengths people go to defend Nintendo is laughable.

This reminds me of Sony apologists in any crossplay threads.

Stop supporting bad business practices because you generally like the games that a company makes. Capitalism makes people so eager to defend their favorite company. It's baddddddddd

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
How do that fix the problem if you have a backup save in the first place? If you mean auto save to the cloud, then you can't trade locally anymore.

Remove local trading, only let local trades be confirmed once hooked back up to online service, only allow local trading through the phone app, etc. Lots of ways to deal with this problem.

Already does this. Just delete the save, download back-up. Grats you cloned everything you traded.

See above.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Happened all the time in Splatoon 1. Make a backup that you can go back to so you can try indefinitely when rolling for gear abilities, or go back to constantly save scum your way up in ranked so that your losses don't count.

Trying to do that in Splatoon 2 would cause a lot of weird consequences now that I think about it, because Nintendo keeps up with a ton of stats for each player online. It's how they track the top rankings for players in Splatfest and X rank.
In a world where Nintendo manages to track so much player data, how hard would it be to detect cheating with backups? They send your a warning and block your match access if you disconnect too many times in a row. They could simply limit backup usage to once every 24 hours. Problem solved.

This is absolute bullshit. Backup saves is literally the only value I see from Nintendo Online. I could give two fucking shits about some old fucking game I first played when I was 6. The VC could burn in hell for all I care.

What I care about is the 200hr I put in Splatoon 2, which I will apparently be one unlucky break away from losing.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've played 6 actually. And I find it hilarious that so many people think Pokemon is in this unique position in the industry. The lengths people go to defend Nintendo is laughable.

This reminds me of Sony apologists in any crossplay threads.

Stop supporting bad business practices because you generally like the games that a company makes. Capitalism makes people so eager to defend their favorite company. It's baddddddddd
Then you absolute know what would happen if they allowed save backups
Also stop assuming I am defending it because of Nintendo, I am defending it because I want less cloned pokemon online

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Remove local trading, only let local trades be confirmed once hooked back up to online service, only allow local trading through the phone app, etc. Lots of ways to deal with this problem.

See above.

So kids in the park can't trade? Or basically anywhere where there isn't stable internet for a console that can be played anywhere?

Come on.

In a world where Nintendo manages to track so much player data, how hard would it be to detect cheating with backups? They send your a warning and block your match access if you disconnect too many times in a row.

This is absolute bullshit. Backup saves is literally the only value I see from Nintendo Online. I could give two fucking shits about some old fucking game I first played when I was 6. The VC could burn in hell for all I care.

What I care about is the 200hr I put in Splatoon 2, which I will apparently be one unlucky break away from losing.

They already upload (most of) your save of Splatoon 2. In fact they even do sanity checks on saves now remotely. What they don't do, for some reason, is allow you to pull your save from them.