• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
1. I have a nice shiny Pokémon on my game
2. I trade it locally to my second Switch, while both are offline
3. I delete the save from the first Switch before it connects online
4. I restore my Pokémon backup
5. I now have 2 nice shiny Pokémon

So yeah, that still doesn't work.

Wait, so you mean the guys can actually go online on Switch? Well here's a solution, make the trades online only. Authentic the trade with a server like every other damn game from last decade does.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Easy. Figure out a way that all Pokémon have a unique ID that gets flagged once traded. If a dupe pops up from deleting and re-downloading a save, it would inform you the Pokémon has been traded and then auto delete it once you re-download a save.

Meaning you can only dupe if you stay offline forever in which that case, who cares.

There, I fixed the issue.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Remove local trading, only let local trades be confirmed once hooked back up to online service, only allow local trading through the phone app, etc. Lots of ways to deal with this problem.
Congratulations, you just removed the feature that made pokemon popular

João Paulo

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should simply upgrade the game and migrate player's data to their servers, associating each save with its respective Nintendo ID, pretty much like everybody else does.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So kids in the park can't trade? Or basically anywhere where there isn't stable internet for a console that can be played anywhere?

Come on.

So now we must think of the little kids? Because a kid would love to lose his save, right?

Hint: wrong. It happened to me when I was a kid and I sure as shit wasn't happy (not that cloud saves even existed, but I sure as hell would love if they did back then.)

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So kids in the park can't trade? Or basically anywhere where there isn't stable internet for a console that can be played anywhere?

Come on.

Kids in the park could either:

A. Use their phone app.
B. Engage a trade, and said trade completes when they get home/somewhere with WiFi and reconnect.
C. Exchange friend information and trade later.

You're describing a problem that likely doesn't exist in this day and age anyway. I feel like some of you might be stuck in the 90s with Nintendo.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I am only talking about pokemon here, I never said that other games shouldn't have cloud saves

That's fair. I'm more focusing on the broad discussion of having access to your online saves. I don't think it's fair to make a distinction depending on what kind of game it is. It's up to Nintendo to think about how to make sure there isn't cheating while still providing access to online saves. That's their responsibility.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017

Come on.

They already upload (most of) your save of Splatoon 2. In fact they even do sanity checks on saves now remotely. What they don't do, for some reason, is allow you to pull your save from them.
Right, in which case I will fully retract my freakout if Nintendo is able to restore this data when I sent it in. I would accept this compromise (grudgingly) for all games: if no cloud save is available, Nintendo will store save data on their servers, which can be restored if you send it in.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You can trade Pokémon locally, offline. That's a big part of Pokémon.

So that wouldn't work.

Honestly, trading Pokemon offline probably made sense a decade or more ago, but internet connections are pretty much everywhere. I don't see a reason for that feature to exist. One of the biggest games in the world is online connection required. I'm not saying they should save everything server side, but trading should require registering your Pokemon server side and let the server facilitate the exchange.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I've played 6 actually. And I find it hilarious that so many people think Pokemon is in this unique position in the industry. The lengths people go to defend Nintendo is laughable.

This reminds me of Sony apologists in any crossplay threads.

Stop supporting bad business practices because you generally like the games that a company makes. Capitalism makes people so eager to defend their favorite company. It's baddddddddd

it's getting ridiculous how some accept and make excuses for their favourite companies.

if anyone thinks no cloud saves means no hacking or cheating then they are delusional, the only thing we getting here is no way to back up ur save and it being stuck on your system forever.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

A. Use their phone app.
B. Engage a trade, and said trade completes when they get home/somewhere with WiFi and reconnect.

You're describing a problem that likely doesn't exist in this day and age anyway. I feel like some of you might be stuck in the 90s with Nintendo.

Doesn that leave people that dont pay for the online out?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Right, in which case I will fully retract my freakout if Nintendo is able to restore this data when I sent it in. I would accept this compromise (grudgingly) for all games: if no cloud save is available, Nintendo will store save data on their servers, which can be restored if you send it in.

They may enable it when the service go out, they may not. No idea what their plan is but they absolutely have a running clone of every Splatoon 2 user on their servers.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Nintendo manages to track so much player data, how hard would it be to detect cheating with backups? They send your a warning and block your match access if you disconnect too many times in a row. They could simply limit backup usage to once every 24 hours. Problem solved.

This is absolute bullshit. Backup saves is literally the only value I see from Nintendo Online. I could give two fucking shits about some old fucking game I first played when I was 6. The VC could burn in hell for all I care.

What I care about is the 200hr I put in Splatoon 2, which I will apparently be one unlucky break away from losing.
Yeah I don't like it either and I hope they change their mind on this or find some kind of work-around.

Oct 27, 2017
This is insane, Splatoon 2 is an online only game. Why would my progress not be copied to the cloud?

Easy. Figure out a way that all Pokémon have a unique ID that gets flagged once traded. If a dupe pops up from deleting and re-downloading a save, it would inform you the Pokémon has been traded and then auto delete it once you re-download a save.

Meaning you can only dupe if you stay offline forever in which that case, who cares.

I was literally composing a post with this exact idea, thank you.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, trading Pokemon offline probably made sense a decade or more ago, but internet connections are pretty much everywhere. I don't see a reason for that feature to exist. One of the biggest games in the world is online connection required. I'm not saying they should save everything server side, but trading should require registering your Pokemon server side and let the server facilitate the exchange.
Kids will still trade locally with their friends specially in a country like japan

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

It's almost like basic modern cryptography and transaction validation doesn't even exist.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
it's getting ridiculous how some accept and make excuses for their favourite companies.

if anyone thinks no cloud saves means no hacking or cheating then they are delusional, the only thing we getting here is no way to back up ur save and it being stuck on your system forever.

Exactly. I see a lot of people arguing under the pretense that saves need to be locked in order to keep Pokemon pure and free from cheaters. Pokemon has always had cheaters. Hell, I was one of them when I had a DS. It's fine to dislike cheating. It's another to want to stop people from backing up their saves because of it.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so basically Nintendo needs to figure out some shit. That's trash, honestly. It's not like Splatoon doesn't have hackers already??? There must be a way.

A. Use their phone app.
You can't be serious.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, i was about to write this.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn that leave people that dont pay for the online out?

Only if Nintendo locks trading behind a paywall.

Another solution.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We might have a Switch revision down the line since the Switch is successful. The current model is also prone to cracks. Why trap my saves if I want to upgrade or even replolace it?

Pokemon is grindy as hell already. From needing to go through the story you might end up hating to even being able to buy the shit you need to complete your pokemon builds through a series of battles at a facility. The time that would be lost is already greater than if someone has shinies.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, i was about to write this.

That makes no sense, you wouldt never find dupes this way. Remember that people who dont pay for the sub HAVE to be able to trade locally. So its posible for a single mon to appear online with different players. So your example could only detect if the same mon is online AT THE SAME TIME. It doesnt solve anything. It doenst account for trades.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Forget the Pokemon bank defenders. What happens if I lose my save on Pokemon due to a hardware glitch with my switch? I just lose all my progress? Cloud saves should be automatic.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Or instead of online you can just do this.
Seriously guys, its not hard.

Its almost like Nintendo doesnt know how to handle online games.
So we want Pokemon to be always online now?
Always online =! Trading online

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes no sense, you wouldt never find dupes this way. Remember that people who dont pay for the sub HAVE to be able to trade locally. So its posible for a single mon to appear online with different players. So your example could only detect if the same mon is online AT THE SAME TIME. It doesnt solve anything
Not at all? It just needs to check if it has been online since.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

So from which save its deleted? From both? Then I can trade my shiny Pokémon offline with a little boy who wants it and will give me his most precious Pokémon (but he still wants the shiny more). Then he connects online and his Pokémon disappear. There, I just tricked a little boy into giving me his Pokémon.

So that doesn't work either.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Its almost like Nintendo doesnt know hos to handle online games.

Always online =! Trading online
It is a good idea but...
That makes no sense, you wouldt never find dupes this way. Remember that people who dont pay for the sub HAVE to be able to trade locally. So its posible for a single mon to appear online with different players. So your example could only detect if the same mon is online AT THE SAME TIME. It doesnt solve anything. It doenst account for trades.
This might still be a problem

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Lets say I have a mon, and dupe it so both you an me have the same mon. I go online and battle using that mon. Later you go online and battle using that mon, what happens?
Lets say I have a mon, and I go online a battle with it, then I trade it with you and you go online and battle with it. what happens? Isnt it the same thing for the server?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
You know that local trading is one of the most important aspects of Pokémon right?

The main reason Switch has local wireless communication is because is very likely because Pokémon, if it didn't Pokémon wouldn't have moved to Switch.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It seems likely that Nintendo was planning to detail their paid online plans, scheduled to go live this month, during their now-delayed Nintendo Direct. Much like the accidental misfire with Yoshi's Crafting World, some things have gone live on the website ahead of announcement, including some small details on the cloud saving. While Nintendo had previously said that not all games would support it, we now know a few Switch games do not have cloud saves.

On the page for Pokémon Let's Go Eevee & Pikachu, a message at the bottom indicates that cloud saves are a no-go for the two Nintendo-published games. The warning reads "Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. This game does not support Save Data Cloud backup. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features." This warning is also on the page for Splatoon 2.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/0...-splatoon-and-dark-souls-do-not-support-cloud

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So from which save its deleted? From both? Then I can trade my shiny Pokémon offline with a little boy who wants it and will give me his most precious Pokémon (but he still wants the shiny more). Then he connects online and his Pokémon disappear. There, I just tricked a little boy into giving me his Pokémon.

So that doesn't work either.

Oh geez. I'm sorry but this hypothetical is laughable as an excuse.

But to answer. It can delete from the re-downloaded save. There. I solved the problem. Hire me, gamefreak.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's online offerings continue to be a shitshow. Hopefully they get raked over the coals for this and make changes. This shouldn't be how this works in 2018.