• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
in actuality he's smuggling Triple-Fried Galactic Shwaffle out of Inkopolis to sell on the black market
I remember the good old days when we thought Spyke was a sketchy back alley black market dealer, now he's just a coffee shop hipster. Gentrification is crazy

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Azure pointed out on Twitter Capt Cuttlefish is dressed a lot like Run DMC with the adidas style track suit

so he's basically Pearl and Marina's OG
Neat!

It's really cool how well it's done.... Never thought to see references like these in a Nintendo game and it's good imo.

Or i missed em before,
Altho i know Splatoon is more self aware.
Wich fits alot with that franchise.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'm actually really excited for this. I like Splatoon's single player singificantly more than it's multiplayer.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat!

It's really cool how well it's done.... Never thought to see references like these in a Nintendo game and it's good imo.

Or i missed em before,

yeah I think a lot of this stuff was new for Splatoon because the first game seemed to focus on Japan with the location whereas Splatoon 2 is focused on New York which is where hip hop started. plus the fashion focus and ink tagging connection makes it a perfect fit.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
A body full of Splatoon tattoo's!
That's what true warriors really strive for.

Altho i am thinking about that "new" Callie... On my other calf.... But i will keep that in mind for a while first. No hasty decisions :p
Ha, I'd be too afraid to ever get a tattoo, but I like how they make you happy. Just think 'em through first. :)

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I'd be too afraid to ever get a tattoo, but I like how they make you happy. Just think 'em through first. :)
Yeah i try to either wait 6 months or so first or set the appointment like 5-8 months away and bein able to cancel. I also show the designs to family and friends to make sure "mainstream" peeps like it too.

If i then still like the design i choose, i do go for it. I had the Marina appointment already set by summer but got it last month.

Next one is Marie next month in early april on my back.

Btw i hope the smash inklings have alts of all idols, i need playable Marie!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i try to either wait 6 months or so first or set the appointment like 5-8 months away and bein able to cancel. I also show the designs to family and friends to make sure "mainstream" peeps like it too.

If i then still like the design i choose, i do go for it. I had the Marina appointment already set by summer but got it last month.

Whoa, alts of the idols would be a fantastic way to make them playable. I could totally see that happening!

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018

Inklings better have like 30 alt costumes, I want all the idols plus their agent outfits and a bunch of the generics from splat 1 and 2, and of course the new Agent 8

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Already pre-ordered since Splatoon owns my soul apparently.

The way they're constructing the subway lines and showing all these other characters, even if they're just background, has me really excited and curious about how this all is going to fit together. It looks like you can use basically any weapon too, considering parts of it show Agent 8 using stuff like Clash blaster or the Tentatek splattershot, not just the hero gear. On the other hand, there's definitely that baller-specific section, so I wonder if you can select your main weapon but other parts of the kit are specific to single-player selection and power-up tuna cans?

I really hope we get at least one extra hairstyle for each of the octolings too. Male octoling with a single tentacle isn't a great look to me.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rank x has to be the dumbest idea in a long time. Instead of making the game balanced and making sure people are in their appropriate skill group, I know lets add a rank

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
rank x has to be the dumbest idea in a long time. Instead of making the game balanced and making sure people are in their appropriate skill group, I know lets add a rank
You realize that it was added because there wasn't enough skill stratification right? It's like when S+ was added in Splatoon 1. It's literally there to make sure the best players are in the appropriate skill group.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
wait what the fuck I just realized

at the end of the subway in the Octo Expansion trailer, Agent 3 shows up

what the fuck guys what does this mean why is she there

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat!

Or i missed em before,
given Splatoon is an explicit reference to real world youth culture, it shows how much research the devs put into this.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate video.
MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is just me or the octolings look better than the inklings?

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Btw do any of ya guys know the Splatoon Era Discord link? If ya do pm it me plz or qoute to reveal.

I'm in the Nintendo focused ones already.
(switch & nintendo)

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
wait what the fuck I just realized

at the end of the subway in the Octo Expansion trailer, Agent 3 shows up

what the fuck guys what does this mean why is she there
It's mentioned in one of the sunken scrolls that Agent 4 finds that Cuttlefish took Agent 3 with them on "a research trip to the cape" (literally just looked the scroll up in the game, this is the exact wording). Apparently this expansion is going to be touching on just what kind of "research" was being done and why they weren't present during DJ Octavio's escape?
There's definitely been more to this underground battle against the octarians that Cap'n hasn't been forthright about...

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer was great. I love the silly lore in the Splatoon universe so I'm really looking forward to the dlc. Wonder if this is the end of the post launch support.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is EXACTLY what I wanted from Splatoon since the first game. More singleplayer levels with hopefully harder difficulty while expanding the lore of the universe. The potential is huge.

And of course, the meme of Playable Octolings has finally come full circle. This won't fix any of the present technical issues of the game, but the content will get me back playing more during the summer.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
It's mentioned in one of the sunken scrolls that Agent 4 finds that Cuttlefish took Agent 3 with them on "a research trip to the cape" (literally just looked the scroll up in the game, this is the exact wording). Apparently this expansion is going to be touching on just what kind of "research" was being done and why they weren't present during DJ Octavio's escape?
There's definitely been more to this underground battle against the octarians that Cap'n hasn't been forthright about...
I like the idea I've seen floating around that the playable Octolings are actually Inkling-Octoling hybrids, since their eyeliner is black rather than purple and they seem to be test tube babies. I really wonder what cap'n and the gang have to do with all this though...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea I've seen floating around that the playable Octolings are actually Inkling-Octoling hybrids, since their eyeliner is black rather than purple and they seem to be test tube babies. I really wonder what cap'n and the gang have to do with all this though...

Maybe we find out the Inklings were secretly the bad guys all along!

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
This is EXACTLY what I wanted from Splatoon since the first game. More singleplayer levels with hopefully harder difficulty while expanding the lore of the universe. The potential is huge.

And of course, the meme of Playable Octolings has finally come full circle. This won't fix any of the present technical issues of the game, but the content will get me back playing more during the summer.

Same. In fact, I remember saying that I wanted a paid DLC single player expansion to splatoon 1 in the discord. One that would free them from the difficulty constraint of the normal campaign which functions as a glorified tutorial. That and for a campaign to be from the octolings perspective complete with an octoling hub. Though I wanted/expected an japanese octoling city in the style of young octavio. I didn't expect a hip hop inspired underground train station.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Splatoon has such a rich lore and unique characters.
This trailer reminded me I still haven't beat Splatoon 2's single player campaign, and I don't really know why, I loved the first one.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a facility where Octavio changes octolings into his war slaves.
Or where he produces the gear to do so.

Guess they finally wanna free em from his grasp.

I wonder if he is the final boss again if so they can make up for the lesser gameplay wise one of 2. Hopefully it's not him yet again in his same disc jockey unless it plays and looks way different.

Maybe it's a total new villain wich would be also neat. Imagine Mr. Grizz being it, final battle against a crazy grizzly bear in a mech powered by salmon run eggs!?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a facility where Octavio changes octolings into his war slaves.
Or where he produces the gear to do so.

Guess they finally wanna free em from his grasp.

I wonder if he is the final boss again if so they can make up for the lesser gameplay wise one of 2. Hopefully it's not him yet again in his same disc jockey unless it plays and looks way different.

Maybe it's a total new villain wich would be also neat. Imagine Mr. Grizz being it, final battle against a crazy grizzly bear in a mech powered by salmon run eggs!?

Nah, it's probably where the Inklings perform horrific experiments on Octolings. I mean, the Inklings forced the Octolings out from the sunlight underground where they are slowly running out of energy to power the facilities in order to survive.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt they would go there. In fact, this reminds me of the argument that Marina and Pearl was an inkling-octoling hybrid because their top teeth are different from normal inklings, despite the fact that though octolings have never illustrated that trait in their top teeth. Pearl, Marie and Callie have different eyes than the playable inklings. Similar to the more realistic beaks that Pearl and Marina have, those eyes makes them stand out compared to the playable inklings while also sticking more closely to real world anatomy. Marina has special eyes compared to the playable Octolings likely for the same reason. Regarding the eyeliner point, Marina has black eyeliner. The purple eyeliner in the concept art for Splatoon 1 is coupled with green irises, overall matching the style of all octarians affiliated with DJ Octavio. And the octopus forms of the Octoling in S1 have green sclera surrounded by purple markings, just like other Octarians and DJ Octavio. I doubt this is a general trait of all Octolings especially considering how Marina bucks the trend in her white sclera, darker skin, black eye markings, and ability to adopt different colors.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The support this game has been receiving is incredible. Just because of it, I think I might have to give it another shot.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
I doubt they would go there. In fact, this reminds me of the argument that Marina and Pearl was an inkling-octoling hybrid because their top teeth are different from normal inklings, despite the fact that though octolings have never illustrated that trait in their top teeth. Pearl, Marie and Callie have different eyes than the playable inklings. Similar to the more realistic beaks that Pearl and Marina have, those eyes makes them stand out compared to the playable inklings while also sticking more closely to real world anatomy. Marina has special eyes compared to the playable Octolings likely for the same reason. Regarding the eyeliner point, Marina has black eyeliner. The purple eyeliner in the concept art for Splatoon 1 is coupled with green irises, overall matching the style of all octarians affiliated with DJ Octavio. And the octopus forms of the Octoling in S1 have green sclera surrounded by purple markings, just like other Octarians and DJ Octavio. I doubt this is a general trait of all Octolings especially considering how Marina bucks the trend in her white sclera, darker skin, black eye markings, and ability to adopt different colors.
I was going by how the Octolings appear in splat 1 when you hack them in but this makes a lot of sense

now to figure out what the deal is with those weird android octolings

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's probably where the Inklings perform horrific experiments on Octolings. I mean, the Inklings forced the Octolings out from the sunlight underground where they are slowly running out of energy to power the facilities in order to survive.
Was that not because of the sea risin again? Because they first lived in peace.
Land got scarce.... And then that big war happened.

Altho if it are evil inklings then i hope the new villain stays in squid form and is a rapper. Like a weird counterpart xd

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
That trailer with the music was way too long and it was a bit weird in how sexual it was. Still, great game, $20 for a single player expansion, pre-purchased.

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Didn't notice at first but I went back and looked at the trailer again because I saw people saying it was sexual and the MC's hips are actually insanely big proportional to the rest of her.

uK4MzMG.gif

weird.