• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which direction will Splinter Cell take?

• Open World Adventure RPG (Assassin's Creed)

Votes: 133 62.4%
  • Mobile Action ARPG (Diablo: Immortal)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kart Racer (Mario Kart)

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • Agent-cy Builder (Sims clone)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • ESPOOOOOOORTS (Rainbow Six/For Honor)

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Stealth Based Battle Royale (Fortnite-Cell)

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Splinter Cell has seemingly been stealth announced. Many of us are sure the game's direction will be revamped, which is why Classic is not a voting choice here. Lets be real, it didn't sell with it's formula as great and glorious as it was. We all know Ubisoft will terrorize our hopes with a new direction so lets predict that direction with E3 just a little bit of time away from us!

1) Open World Adventure RPG (Assassin's Creed)
Sam will travel a large piece of land, questing, stealthing, riding horses, buying outlandish mtx gear, facing off against giant enemies like the boogie man, competing in social events, and taking photos of the environments to share on the map. Enemies will be loaded with XP, HP, and gear for you to loot. Expect enemies to always be 1-2 levels ahead of you and take 10-20 shots. Guided bolts from Sam's crossbow, and his drone to scout to area ahead of time. Can also be Fem Sam.

2) Mobile Action ARPG. (Diablo: Immortal)
What? You guys don't have phones?

3) Kart Racer (Mario Kart)
Join Sam, Anna Grímsdóttir, Kestrel, Irving, Archer, Sarah, Kobin, Tom Reed and many others as you race around insane maps featuring beautiful vistas from previous games like Pandora Tomorrow, Double Agent, and Chaos Theory. Special appearance by playable Michael Ironside.

4) Agent-cy builder (Sims)
Build up 3rd echelon from the ground up, sending spies on missions, developing office romances, supplies, maintaining a clean workspace, bathrooms, and a courtyard. Will your 3rd Echelon be successful or will you find yourself dealing with wikileaks, counter spies and other mishaps like an office fire!?

5) ESPOOOOOOOOOOORTS
Spies vs Mercs vs Year 2: Season 7 on the grandest stage of them all. C-Span.

6) Stealth Based Battle Royal (Fortnite-Cell - Thanks to Jesse Gomez (IGN)
Fortnite, seasons, cosmetics, and Stealth Takedowns galore. Be the last Spy to survive!

Personally, I'd like to play the agency builder. Can't wait for the Sam Fisher as Death skin to go up on the marketplace.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Stealth `n loot.
No, seriously: I fear it`s going to be a Ghost Recon-like OW game.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its going to be open world and that sucks. I just want a mission based SC without that mark and auto execute thing the newer ones have but at this point I just dont want the open world.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Best Timeline: Hitman-style, level based single-player experience.

Darkest timeline: Exclusively Multiplayer, Open World GaaS-athon that seemingly uses the name Splinter Cell for brand recognition alone.

Most realistic timeline: See darkest.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a Conviction like sequel to be honest (SC2 is my favorite SC though); Jason Bourne like stealth game in large open environments i.e. Hitman, Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc.

But it will more than likely be a open world game. Which I kind of don't want.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Open world-ish or at least large maps where you collects tons of items and do pointless stuff to pad the game so you don't trade or sell it. Also some kind of base building mechanics or tech developments. Some sort of skill tree too.

Ubisoft Open World game #2432

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What I want : no open-world, no multiplayer (at least not the big focus) and no MTX.
Keep the game pure from the AAA curse.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm fine whatever, back to the roots would be cool but I both liked Conviction and Black List.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Always online co-op open world game with tiered loot and no matchmaking for the raid.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
MGSV isn't up there, so I'll take open world RPG.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've always just assumed a new Splinter Cell would go the open world route and potentially tie the spies vs mercs idea into the campaign. Similar to how Watch Dogs has the ability for other players to enter your game and hack you.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's free-to-play, doesn't have any stealth, and involves throwing you into a fight to the death with dozens of other people.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Part of me wants to say that it's going to be similar to MGSV but I wonder if that's not too close to Wildlands/Breakpoint.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Either it's gonna be an open-world GaaS retread like GR Wildlands and Division 2, or Ubi will take cues from older games in the series and create more open-ended stealthy levels. With Ironside returning as Sam, of course.

Bonus points: every level is completely open-ended, like the bank in Chaos Theory.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I would be OK with how they did conviction semi open maps ala Hitman. Multiple ways to do your mission tasks.

Actual open world makes no sense. Sam is not the GR recon team.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's going to be a Watchdogs 1 style game with Sam Fisher as the Star.

With the Watchdogs IP naturally evolving in a different direction, Splinter Cell is back to fill the void of its original vision (which was likely a Ubisoft owned IP in the stealth/espionage genre)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The last game got it pretty much dead on. It just needs to improve on that formula.

And get Ironside back.

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
Jason Bourne like stealth game in large open environments i.e. Hitman, Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc.
Sam was fine as Sam; he does not need to be Jason Bourne or any other over-the-top action movie character. Those are not Clancy characters, nor are they anything like his characters. This is exactly my problem with Ubisoft. For over a decade, It doesn't seem like anyone there has read more than the back of a Tom Clancy book. Any sort of inspiration taken from his writing is surface level at best.

Being absolutely nothing like Conviction (save for maybe the co-op) would make it a fine game for me. I do not understand how people are forgiving of that title.

I definitely agree on the large open environments, though.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like, realistically, it's gonna be either Phantom Pain style but less anime, a Spies vs Mercs esports game, or both. Possibly with a create-a-character with Sam as the earpiece voice.

Ideally I'd want it to be closer to Ground Zeroes, Hitman, or Dishonored, but honestly I'd be fine with either two of the aforementioned things. Based on Siege, I think today's Ubisoft is capable of making an enjoyable Spies vs Mercs, and Phantom Pain basically already showed everyone the formula for a good open-world stealth game by just adding more open-ended stealth to Ubisoft's existing formula.