• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which direction will Splinter Cell take?

• Open World Adventure RPG (Assassin's Creed)

Votes: 133 62.4%
  • Mobile Action ARPG (Diablo: Immortal)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kart Racer (Mario Kart)

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • Agent-cy Builder (Sims clone)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • ESPOOOOOOORTS (Rainbow Six/For Honor)

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Stealth Based Battle Royale (Fortnite-Cell)

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Into this gen, I just cannot think of a single high-budget Ubisoft title that is not open world. So..

There is one actually, For honor, which they probably couldn't figure out a way to open-world. Lol.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
An open world which will suck if MGSV is anything to go by. I'm sure they'll deliver for MP though, Wildlands and Siege are ace for online tactical gameplay.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Ideal world: a semi-sorta "open world" ala Hitman levels. A lot of stuff in those levels is just there for dressing and world design, and no for linear progression in levels.

Likely take: Ubisoft Open World Game #1476 with the same levels of repetition they've never addressed. They'll be doubly entranced in this direction because Metal Gear tried an open world, too.

Oct 30, 2017
It's Ubisoft, so it's almost guaranteed to be a GaaS. I don't know if it'll be generic like the Division/Ghost Recon. I think they'll want to give you Sam Fisher...unless he's retired and now the one briefing all the agents.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's Ubisoft, so it's almost guaranteed to be a GaaS. I don't know if it'll be generic like the Division/Ghost Recon. I think they'll want to give you Sam Fisher...unless he's retired and now the one briefing all the agents.

I imagine that they'll either have him in his own campaign and you make your own Fourth Echelon character, or they use a new game to springboard Sam away, as they should have done with Blacklist, considering the visual and voice redesign he had (tho the latter is totally understandable due to Michael Ironside's illness).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I bet it's gonna be the Hitman route. Not fully open world.

That would be the best route tbh but the cynic in me sees the direction Ubisoft is going with their Tom Clancy games. I foresee RPG mechanics, an open world, and maybe even loot and survival systems.

Open world wouldn't be bad per se but I don't see them taking the MGSV approach.

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of like Hitman and Ground Zeroes but with a lot of hiding in the shadows.

I want a short single player game that is replayable with lots of choices for routes and gadgets.
Then I'd like Spies vs Mercs to be included but also available as a stand alone game.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Please let it not be open world. I want expertly crafted, intricate, dense levels like Hitman. Please.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I know what I want is going to be different than what we get.

But please bring Ironsides back

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people don't really realize the poll is satire
The game is not going to be open world, splinter cell is based On going to a bunch of different countries all over the world the only one limited to one country was maybe part 1 in Georgia (pretty sure at least one mission was in America)
It's not going to be an rpg it will have linear progression
The question is will it be linear missions or sandbox missions
Since I don't care at all about the neocon story line I hope they sacrifice that for more open mission design with optional objective

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Stealth `n loot.
No, seriously: I fear it`s going to be a Ghost Recon-like OW game.

Unfortunately I think this is probably right. "Sam Fisher is stranded in the lawless wilds of [some acceptably 'exotic' place]! Work with other Splinter CellTM AgentsTM in an immersive, engaging online experienceTM to take back what's yours! Use over 1000000000000000000000 types of identical looking guns to take out baddies with style!!"

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
How about classic splinter cell. No mark n execute fuckery, mission by mission, with some expanded sandboxy levels for Sam fisher shenanigans.

Give me the atmosphere n tension and cerebral feel of Chaos Theory back pls.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Instead of one ubisoft open world, it's a series of small open worlds, each centered around a stealth mission (with a few variants) that you can execute a few different ways

Splinter Cell: Ground zeroes 2 (Dawn of Hitman)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awful options, how about just stealth with MGS5 level of movement and AI?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wide linear stealth/action with all the bells and whistles please.

* Different awesome suits
* Lots of gadgets
* Multiple ways to knock down/kill enemies
* More cool ways to move around the level like the old cutting through plastic and fabric
* Well thought out infiltrations
* Improved animations
* Old Sam Fisher back

All that and more with great level design and AI.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I think this is probably right. "Sam Fisher is stranded in the lawless wilds of [some acceptably 'exotic' place]! Work with other Splinter CellTM AgentsTM in an immersive, engaging online experienceTM to take back what's yours! Use over 1000000000000000000000 types of identical looking guns to take out baddies with style!!"

I'd take that over a ClassicTM Splinter Cell experience any day of the week. But unfortunately it won't happen because that would be too similar to Ghost Recon.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not open world please. Unless its a dense open hub like deus ex mankind divided with lots of hiding spots and fun exploration and stealth opprotunities. Id prefer if it were level based after recently playing through conviction

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
what a depressing thread (i realize your options are facetious OP, but they are super realistic)

I suppose hoping for something akin to Chaos Theory, the series critical peak, would be too much to ask.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
what a depressing thread (i realize your options are facetious OP, but they are super realistic)

I suppose hoping for something akin to Chaos Theory, the series critical peak, would be too much to ask.
Can't believe it took this long for a CT mention. :(

Classic SC fanboy in me is dying from all the replies in this thread.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe it took this long for a CT mention. :(

Classic SC fanboy in me is dying from all the replies in this thread.

I just... don't get it. Why did this need changing.

Capture.png

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How about just a straight up level based stealth game? Hell look at Hitman and maybe go episodic if youre not sure of its success.

To be fair though, after Phantom Pain I kinda do want a Open World stealth game that learns from its mistakes but Im not sure Ubi is the dev to do it. I'd be interested if they tried tho.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those examples are adequate. Build on what's been, don't throw it out. The only games worth looking for for inspiration would be Hitman, and Deus ex. Make the maps larger and less linear. That's all. Certainly don't look to MGSV either.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Playing CT for the first time and it's pretty great, a modern one of those would be nice

Weird how natural 'using the mouse wheel to control movement speed' feels

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
The modern Hitman games are GaaS and they're awesome so you can make level based GaaS. But I don't know if Ubisoft will ever make AAA games that aren't open world again.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I really, really don't want the next Splinter Cell to be any of those, especially the first one.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager on them continuing the style from Blacklist.

Semi-open sandbox levels with support for everything between OG ghosting style and going in loud via your loadout. It also had coop so they've got the "ongoing online experience" box ticked.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm that starved for another one that I'll be willing to give anything a shot at this point but I'd be happiest if:

-It was a contained story, no sidequests or daily missions.
-No multiple currencies.
-No loot(rare Pistol supressor, common pistol suppressor ect)
-Lighting and sound was again a core part of the gameplay.

Jan 4, 2018
I just want a Chaos Theory 2-like. The old Sam, levels with a lot of freedom, varied locations in multiple countries, great musics, good story, epic lines and with a big replay-value.
Completing the game like a ghost without knocking anyone in the hardest difficulty (I still remember the boiler room...) shows how much the level design was a piece of art.

I love Splinter Cell since the first one (I'm not counting Conviction as being a Splinter Cell) and an open world SC would be terrible in my opinion (and the open world is a big part why I hated MGS V).

Splinter Cell always takes place in multiple countries across the world.
Chaos Theory for example :
- Peru
- the Pacific ocean
- Panama
- New York
- Hokkaido
- North Korea
- South Korea
- Tokyo

I don't see how an open world could work in SC. Splinter Cell is all about a worldwide crisis with Sam Fisher being deployed all across the world. Splinter Cell isn't MGS with just 1, 2 or 3 big areas (and MGS V is garbage).

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets be real, it didn't sell with it's formula as great and glorious as it was

Splinter Cell - 3.6 million
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 2.8 million
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 2.5 Million
Splinter Cell: Conviction: 1.9 million
Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 2 million

Selling an average of 2.5 million (if i didn't fuck up my math).

So yeah, maybe if we are going by EA standards of "it didn't sell well."

This thread is just cynical and in bad faith and it feels bad man.

Oct 27, 2017
I rather it be a more serious Hitman, with a even greater focus on stealth, but the level should be as varied as Hitmans levels/missions.

Night missions, shooting out lights to darken an area an so on.

I want a old school Splinter Cell experience.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Shout out to Chaos Theory for still being god-tier stealth.
Chaos Theory 2 pls, just make it like hitman if you need the Gaas thing.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope for MGSV style gameplay with a more interesting open world. MGSV already aped the Far Cry formula, so I don't think this would be too far off.