• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which direction will Splinter Cell take?

• Open World Adventure RPG (Assassin's Creed)

Votes: 133 62.4%
  • Mobile Action ARPG (Diablo: Immortal)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kart Racer (Mario Kart)

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • Agent-cy Builder (Sims clone)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • ESPOOOOOOORTS (Rainbow Six/For Honor)

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Stealth Based Battle Royale (Fortnite-Cell)

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell (2019)
Splinter Cells
Splinter Cell Whitelist
Splinter Cell Triple Agent
Splinter Cell Origins
Splinter Cell Revengeance

Splinter Cell Ironside

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell - 3.6 million
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 2.8 million
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 2.5 Million
Splinter Cell: Conviction: 1.9 million
Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 2 million

Selling an average of 2.5 million (if i didn't fuck up my math).

So yeah, maybe if we are going by EA standards of "it didn't sell well."

This thread is just cynical and in bad faith and it feels bad man.

Yeah, I think people conflate SC's performance with PoP and BG&E given they were all from the same time frame. SC was a huge series during gen 6, which your numbers nicely illustrate. Again, between that and the critical reception, I just can't understand why Ubi decided there was something that needed changing.

Hopefully they look to REmake 2 as an example that returning to what made a series great can be met with great critical and commercial success.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
May I not vote, as I will almost certainly do with my wallet when the game comes out on it's an any one of these options?

-Signed
A Chaos Theory Fan.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have been wondering about this for a while now and it seems like they could do well to have levels be designed like the latest 2 Hitman games which allow for multiple ways to attain the objective.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell - 3.6 million
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 2.8 million
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 2.5 Million
Splinter Cell: Conviction: 1.9 million
Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 2 million

Selling an average of 2.5 million (if i didn't fuck up my math).

So yeah, maybe if we are going by EA standards of "it didn't sell well."

This thread is just cynical and in bad faith and it feels bad man.

I'm the biggest fan of SC. This thread is only partially serious. I fear the Assassin's Creed Odyssey treatment for Sam.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
it's gonna be open world and you know it

which is fine, given MGSV is one of a kind and we need a western response to it that can carry the torch forward.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing the path Ubisoft is taking since quite some time I'll probably hate it. The first games were so good.

Supervlieg

CEO at Little Chicken
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Its triple A so probably this

-open world
-main storyline missions with characters giving out missions all over the map
-varied side missions
-skill tree for your moveset to expand
-development tree for upgrading gear
-map of the world with markers
-probably a horse
-online mode with microtransactions
-some kind of slomo aiming move
-photo mode

If it doesn't include one of the above, I'll be surprised

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I dont want it to be open world because I want varied locations that I doubt I will get from the game they are probably making, shame because I remember clearly many locations from older games due to how much I got to know them and how different they were to each other.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it took this long for a CT mention. :(

Classic SC fanboy in me is dying from all the replies in this thread.
I just... don't get it. Why did this need changing.

Capture.png
How about just a straight up level based stealth game? Hell look at Hitman and maybe go episodic if youre not sure of its success.

To be fair though, after Phantom Pain I kinda do want a Open World stealth game that learns from its mistakes but Im not sure Ubi is the dev to do it. I'd be interested if they tried tho.

Oh don't get me wrong, Chaos Theory is one of the greatest games of all time.

But I don't think the people in this thread are talking about what they'd want the next Splinter Cell to be, they're talking about what the next Splinter Cell probably will be like. For this whole console generation and a lot of last gen Ubisoft has only put out two kinds of AAA games -- open-world games and multiplayer games.

Ideally yes, I would want basically Chaos Theory 2 following in the footsteps of nu-Hitman and MGSV Ground Zeroes, but I'm not betting on it. In a thread way back I think someone even described why that kind of game is unlikely to come from big publishers very often these days -- making those kinds of levels is probably more expensive and difficult than making regular linear levels, but most players will probably spend a similar amount of time on them compared to fully linear levels, and we're not really sure if Hitman's episodic GAAS approach was even very profitable.

I think the best we can hope for is an open-world game that feels similar to Phantom Pain, which tried to be a compromise between complex open-ended zones and an open world.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Return of Spies vs Mercs etc
SvM needs to be back and done right. Chaos Theory style or bust.

A proper SvM would be amazing, but I don't think they can walk back from Conviction - Blacklist style now with the introduction of all the lethality options for the spies. Made it far more instant-action heavy and less cat/mouse as soon as they gave spies decent guns and the ability to kill up close at any angle. I think if they roll back into non-lethal-ish spies the game would be far slower like PT/CT/DA, which wouldn't be as enjoyable for eSports / streaming which Ubi seems to lean towards now with their MP components.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Game direction will be that it is an open world game with a central base where you can choose your mission/gear and join someome for a co op session. there will be co op in this game, can´t imagine that Ubi makes this a strict single player game. there will also be a PVP mode.

would be cool to have the "around the world" style of Blacklist again, would give much variety to the scenery and mission structures.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
A proper SvM would be amazing, but I don't think they can walk back from Conviction - Blacklist style now with the introduction of all the lethality options for the spies. Made it far more instant-action heavy and less cat/mouse as soon as they gave spies decent guns and the ability to kill up close at any angle. I think if they roll back into non-lethal-ish spies the game would be far slower like PT/CT/DA, which wouldn't be as enjoyable for eSports / streaming which Ubi seems to lean towards now with their MP components.

I would gladly pay and even pre-order full price even if they just re-release Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory SvM with 2019 graphics with a few new maps and some bug fixes

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. This thread inspired me to fire up chaos theory on PC and it's just as amazing as ever.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ofcourse the new [Splinter Cell/Prince if Peesia/Rayman] will be open world. You unlock parts of the map and you have a skill tree. Loot, color coded.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What it should be: hitman styled tightly crafted big sandbox levels
What it will be: open world game with RPG upgrades, character customization and less focus on stealth...

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to chose: sims. Sounds interesting.

However - I hope it will be like Ghost Recon with a bigger emphasis on stealth and 4 player coop.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently somebody at 4chan wrote this
There's been 4 Splinter Cell games over the last 5 years, but none of them have made it past pre-production and there isn't one currently in production. Every single Ubisoft team is tied up on other projects at the moment, you won't see another Splinter Cell game for another decade, if ever.

What happened to the most recent one? Aka, the one mentioned in the Walmart leak?

It wasn't a full Splinter Cell game, it was going to be a teaser for a downloadable VR Spies vs Mercenaries spin off, PS4 exclusive, being developed by Ubisoft Montreal and Red Storm Entertainment who are currently making a number of VR titles for Ubisoft. It was shit canned.

In 2012 Ubisoft Toronto started pre-production on a new Splinter Cell game whilst Blacklist was being wrapped up using AnvilNext.

In 2014 the Blood Dragon team of Ubisoft Montreal was working on first person Splinter Cell.

End of 2016/early 2017 Ubisoft Paris got handed the remains of the 2012 Toronot project and started prototyping an open world Splinter Cell that would then be handed off to Ubisoft Shanghai and developed in tandem with Breakpoint.

Maybe jschreier can say if it is true or not.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention: Clint Hocking, who directed Splinter Cell 1, Chaos Theory, and Far Cry 2, went back to Ubisoft a while ago. If there is another Splinter Cell, hopefully they'll let him back on the franchise.