• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2018
So yeah
Post your impressions if you got the game early, repost impressions from other places and etc.
Keep it spoiler free please

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
giphy.webp

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played it at gamescom on Thursday :)

The demo started with a small tutorial teaching you basic controls and then let you roam around the city for about. You couple basically do whatever you wanted, so I went for a backpack first and then did a few random car chases and busted those dudes. The controls take some getting used to, but it feels really great after a couple of minutes. Graphics are amazing and I can't wait to see the game on a big 4K screen instead of those small monitors they had there.

Afterwards I cleared out an enemy outpost in a construction site and got a call from Yuri about a main mission in which you could fight against Shocker. I didn't manage to beat him in time before my session was over though.

All in all the game felt and looked amazing. September 7th can't come soon enough.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think anyone from Era has the game? Maybe people can post spoiler free impressions from the spoiler thread.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah copies in the wild doesn't mean much this far from release. Unlikely it has even hit shops yet.

That said, I played it at Gamescom on Thursday like the poster above.

My excitement initially went from 9 to 6: swinging felt weird. Heavy. Slow. Maybe even rubber banded.

But after some more tutorials and working out the details of the movement system , and how to harness all your options (Web leaping, timing jumps, corner comboing, etc) my hype shot up again.

This is a fascinating game because they haven't just mechanised spiderman's movement, they've mechanised the world and how you interact with it. Every rooftop, ledge, corner and fire escape becomes this opportunity to improvise and gain speed. You have to learn that you can't just build momentum by swinging; you have to build momentum using your legs and the environment. Once that clicks, goddamn does it feel right. You start moving quickly. It feels fast and it feels like your channeling Spidey's energy. It feels and looks almost like a moving comic when you get it right.

Combat is very scrappy but in a fun way. I took a lot of hits because I was trying to use as many options as I could. You definitely get these fantastic sandbox moments where a stray kick sends a guy off a building, where you swing a barrel to hit someone and knock a gun out of someone else's hand (I swear this happened but may be wrong), where using a gadget interacts with an object you didn't expect and it takes out a second goon you weren't focusing on.

All this was in a quick 20 minute demo. I'm VERY interested to see how it develops, because we already had so many abilities and this must have been in the first 2-3 hours of the game.

I managed to get to the level in... A bank or something, but my demo ended just as I entered. Instead I just did the optional enemy outpost and a couple of crimes and got better at swinging.

Playing this after finishing TASM2 a couple of weeks ago was absolutely liberating. In TASM2 the constant loading screens and small scope of most fights was infuriating. But here my favourite moment was taking down some guys robbing a clothing store (or something). I swung down seamlessly, took down one with a surprise attack, all the goons shouted and started firing, there were loads of pedestrians around and they were scattering and shouting stuff at me when I started laying into these fools. It felt amazing, especially whenever I booted baddies into windows or objects that would break.

Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
QuiteSomething
Feb 26, 2018
I played it at gamescom on Thursday :)

The demo started with a small tutorial teaching you basic controls and then let you roam around the city for about. You couple basically do whatever you wanted, so I went for a backpack first and then did a few random car chases and busted those dudes. The controls take some getting used to, but it feels really great after a couple of minutes. Graphics are amazing and I can't wait to see the game on a big 4K screen instead of those small monitors they had there.

Afterwards I cleared out an enemy outpost in a construction site and got a call from Yuri about a main mission in which you could fight against Shocker. I didn't manage to beat him in time before my session was over though.

All in all the game felt and looked amazing. September 7th can't come soon enough.

Yeah copies in the wild doesn't mean much this far from release. Unlikely it has even hit shops yet.

My excitement initially went from 9 to 6: swinging felt weird. Heavy. Slow. Maybe even rubber banded.

But after some more tutorials and working out the details of the movement system , and how to harness all your options (Web leaping, timing jumps, corner comboing, etc) my hype shot up again.

This is a fascinating game because they haven't just mechanised spiderman's movement, they've mechanised the world and how you interact with it. Every rooftop, ledge, corner and fire escape becomes this opportunity to improvise and gain speed. You have to learn that you can't just build momentum by swinging; you have to build momentum using your legs and the environment. Once that clicks, goddamn does it feel right. You start moving quickly. It feels fast and it feels like your channeling Spidey's energy. It feels and looks almost like a moving comic when you get it right.

Combat is very scrappy but in a fun way. I took a lot of hits because I was trying to use as many options as I could. You definitely get these fantastic sandbox moments where a stray kick sends a guy off a building, where you swing a barrel to hit someone and knock a gun out of someone else's hand (I swear this happened but may be wrong), where using a gadget interacts with an object you didn't expect and it takes out a second goon you weren't focusing on.

All this was in a quick 20 minute demo. I'm VERY interested to see how it develops, because we already had so many abilities and this must have been in the first 2-3 hours of the game.

I managed to get to the level in... A bank or something, but my demo ended just as I entered. Instead I just did the optional enemy outpost and a couple of crimes and got better at swinging.

Playing this after finishing TASM2 a couple of weeks ago was absolutely liberating. In TASM2 the constant loading screens and small scope of most fights was infuriating. But here my favourite moment was taking down some guys robbing a clothing store (or something). I swung down seamlessly, took down one with a surprise attack, all the goons shouted and started firing, there were loads of pedestrians around and they were scattering and shouting stuff at me when I started laying into these fools. It felt amazing, especially whenever I booted baddies into windows or objects that would break.

Thanks for the impressions guys.

This part sounds so good. Looks like Insomniac outdid themselves with the traversal. Can't wait

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the impressions guys.

This part sounds so good. Looks like Insomniac outdid themselves with the traversal. Can't wait
It felt really great, although I'm slightly skeptical about how it'll work over a 15-30 hour game (however long it is)

That said, I played the shit out of even the mediocre spidey games haha

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol

Thanks for posting. I hope more impressions roll in soon.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The spoiler thread had the time it took for the person to complete the story. They played on easy and apparently skipped a bunch of side content and they finished the main story in

12-ish hours.

I'm happy with that, and knowing the side content and higher difficulties will make it longer.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It felt really great, although I'm slightly skeptical about how it'll work over a 15-30 hour game (however long it is)

Some will consider a length estimate a spoiler (some consider everything a spoiler, lol), so I won't directly mention it in here, but from what I have heard the main campaign is more on the shorter side. That did lower my expectations a bit. :/

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some will consider a length estimate a spoiler (some consider everything a spoiler, lol), so I won't directly mention it in here, but from what I have heard the main campaign is more on the shorter side. That did lower my expectations a bit. :/
Edit: misread your post!

Interesting to hear but I don't mind about campaign length as long as the world is complex and engaging enough to sink hours into - which it seems to be :)

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
spideyimpressions0001.png

Sorry OP, couldn't help myself. lol

Thanks to the guys posting demo impressions, though!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
where are the impressions? i dont want to go into the spoiler thread lol
Don't. I'm so weak against spoilers and went in and wish I hadn't (or at least wished people used marked spoilers).

This is why I don't like people getting the game early and posting everything about it online. I'm fearful for KH3 if the same happens because I'm weak!

Everything sounds great though, and at least we don't have to wait that long until September 4th when reviews will drop.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
The estimations were based on rushing through the main campaign on easy with zero side activities. Jstevensons says the average playthrough done internally are much longer.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The estimations were based on rushing through the main campaign on easy with zero side activities. Jstevensons says the average playthrough done internally are much longer.

That's good to know. The mentioned length did surprise me in a negative way. I know there are many who like shorter games. I don't, especially if it is a big AAA game that I have waited a long time for.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
That's good to know. The mentioned length did surprise me in a negative way. I know there are many who like shorter games. I don't, especially if it is a big AAA game that I have waited a long time for.
It sounds like a very normal length for an open world easy difficulty main story ignore everything else completion time to me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like a very normal length for an open world easy difficulty main story ignore everything else completion time to me.
I'm comparing this with other big Sony exclusives, like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War. They are all around 20-30 hours long and the latter two double that easily if you do everything they offer on the side. I was hoping Spider-Man was an equally big game.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm comparing this with other big Sony exclusives, like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War. They are all around 20-30 hours long and the latter two double that easily if you do everything they offer on the side. I was hoping Spider-Man was an equally big game.
What? First of all, none of those 3 mentioned games take anywhere near 20 hours to rush through the main story on easy. Second, why do you mention the amount of side content in Horizon and GoW, when we don't know the amount of side content Spidey has? These pre-release "I just ran through the game on easy, here's how short it is" estimations that a lot of games get are never representative.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

According to HowLongToBeat, for U4, it's 15 hours (19h for GOW and 22h Horizon for the main story)
You have to compare Spidey with Arkham games main story (Asylum and City : 12h / Knight : 15 hours)

So it's pretty normal and the guy rushed it in easy

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I also played the demo at Gamescom. I really liked the open world movement. It's much more interesting than it looks. To gain speed you really have to be aware of your surroundings and choose the right actions.

The combat reminds me a lot of the Batman Arkham games. Whereas Batman was very brutal and had much more weight in his kicks and punches, Spidey is light, fast and uses his environment to get rid of his attackers. But the feeling of both combat systems is very similar.

I didn't play any story scenes so I can't say anything about the design of the main missions and the presentation of the story and I think this will decide how 'big' this game will be in the end. But for now I'm quite positive about the game without being hyped. It seems to be exactly what you imagine when you think about a Spiderman game but I wouldn't expect any big surprises or exceptional gameplay. My guess would be something like 80-85 meta after this little hands-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.