• Mercury (Hoki - boar)

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Venus (Bakotsu - horse)

Votes: 125 55.3%

• Total voters

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
He clearly came up with Nika in wano. It would have been setup before if he had planned it. Oda comes up with a lot of plots on the fly but he's very good at making it fit the overall story. This was just one of those moments where it didn't at all so it sticks out.

your posts kinda give "trust me toriyama wanted to end Dragon Ball at the end of the Namek saga" vibes tbh

MrTharne

May 26, 2023
Are we talking about Nika the fruit or Nika the individual ?

- If it's the individual, he's just Joyboy, so it's just a continuation of Joyboy Lore that we didn't knew. The set up is just the Joyboy setup with new informations added on top of it.

- If we are talking about the fruit, it kinda doesn't change anything. Apart from the creation of the goggles from his hair against Lucci, Gear 5 Nika behave pretty much how I was envisioning Gomu-Gomu awakening (sans the new appearance, laughter and the looney tunes effects like eye popping/stars flying after a hit but it's just comedic effects and not really relevant in a battle). Also there always were some weird things with how the power of the Gomu-Gomu behaved if it was just rubber anyway.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
He clearly came up with Nika in wano. It would have been setup before if he had planned it. Oda comes up with a lot of plots on the fly but he's very good at making it fit the overall story. This was just one of those moments where it didn't at all so it sticks out.
I think Oda changed the Wano ending last minute. I believe Zunesha was supposed to open up Wano and the crew would find Pluton to protect the island.
Oda started giving these weird interviews at the time that One Piece was ending but it never made sense given the amount of story still left and more is coming.

Even if Vegapunk doesn't know much, Elbaf will be a lore dump and possible haki training arc.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
This whole "The government is too lazy" discussion is like the one time that the series absurdly short timeframe kinda works in its favor, at least in terms of justifying its narrative consistency.

Maybe they could've make more of an effort in pursuing him during the timeskip training, which is the most time Luffy spent in a single place.

Although they also seemed fine letting Rayleigh just chill for some reason, even though he should also know most of the secrets that they're supposedly afraid of.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is, the Gorosei are all here now with Luffy in full Gear 5 mode and the most we've gotten is Saturn going "yup there's Nika".

So personally, I think the Gorosei viewed the fruit as another piece of lore they needed to suppress because any hints to the Void Century had to be hidden, not becuase the fruit inherently does something special that allows him to hurt the Gorosei (which clearly he can't)
Also they are control freaks and it is too much of a random factor to be floating around

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I can only point and laugh at people who stubbornly insist at the Nika "retcon" and it not making any sense. It's perfectly explained by the fruit not having awakened for 800 years.

8 centuries is a long time for people to forget, for there to be other users of the same fruit that never awakened it and for stories of its actual usefullness allowed to pass into legend to the degree that even those fully in the know doubt its actual existance as seen in Wano.

But let's all ignore that and double down on false info. Nika RETCON!!!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Although they also seemed fine letting Rayleigh just chill for some reason, even though he should also know most of the secrets that they're supposedly afraid of.

It's also been established that Roger's crew wasn't the only ones that learned the "True history" of the world either. Whitebeard knew. I'm assuming he told pretty much his entire crew given what Marco said about the Lunarians at Wano. There is a difference between an island of scholars versus the world's most powerful pirates lol

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
your posts kinda give "trust me toriyama wanted to end Dragon Ball at the end of the Namek saga" vibes tbh
No idea what that means

Luffy being the chosen one was clearly set up, but a lot of the details of how it played out are either retconned late in Wano or just terribly executed.

yall get so saucy when oda pen put into question even a tad. It's like drake fans on instagram
Man if I was talking about Wano when it was happening weekly, I would have gotten cooked by the hardcore OP fans lol. I was close to putting Oda in fraud watch during that arc

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This whole "The government is too lazy" discussion is like the one time that the series absurdly short timeframe kinda works in its favor, at least in terms of justifying its narrative consistency.

Maybe they could've make more of an effort in pursuing him during the timeskip training, which is the most time Luffy spent in a single place.

Thing thing is the government did try we have went down this road so many times.
The problem for some is the government did not try because of the DF it self or mention it as a reason .
Which can be explain is they did not want anyone to know or because it did not awaken in 800 years and luffy would died before then .
The had many other reasons to tell people to kill luffy which they try to over and over .

One Piece fanboys are the worst

I would like to think we better on this forum but the whole WG not try hard enough will never not be funny .
They try and just because they did not mention his DF until later did not mean they not try kill Luffy or capture him over course 1000 chapters .
It did not matter how hard they try they could kill him for every other reason and he escape adding the DF special reason on top of that won't have matter .

Last edited:

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I can only point and laugh at people who stubbornly insist at the Nika "retcon" and it not making any sense. It's perfectly explained by the fruit not having awakened for 800 years.

8 centuries is a long time for people to forget, for there to be other users of the same fruit that never awakened it and for stories of its actual usefullness allowed to pass into legend to the degree that even those fully in the know doubt its actual existance as seen in Wano.

That works in real life, but not for a comic book story. Oda should have had the Gorosei alluded to Nika long ago.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what that means

Luffy being the chosen one was clearly set up, but a lot of the details of how it played out are either retconned late in Wano or just terribly executed.

Man if I was talking about Wano when it was happening weekly, I would have gotten cooked by the hardcore OP fans lol. I was close to putting Oda in fraud watch during that arc

Goda redeemed with egghead. Except for this chapter. He back on fraud watch now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
We still have no idea if the Nika fruit is necessary to challenge the WG or if it just happened to be Joyboy's power

Edit: wait we're talking about new spoilers? I don't know those yet!

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Goda redeemed with egghead. Except for this chapter. He back on fraud watch now.
Egghead been too peak can't lie, I'll wait till the full summary and the full Vegapunk message before making an opinion on both this chapter and this subplot. Just hope it doesn't get stalled much more

Y'all should go into any shonen manga certain that the protagonist is the chosen one. How else would they win against all odds every time until the end
I don't have any problem with chosen one tropes. I even like it in many cases. Hell I'm even fine with Luffy being the chosen one. But like any trope, it can be well or poorly executed and that's what I judge

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Y'all should go into any shonen manga certain that the protagonist is the chosen one. How else would they win against all odds every time until the end

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Why are people acting like the Gov did nothing against Luffy? They attacked him many times in many ways, with very strong people.

Two problems for them:
- me makes friends easier than anyone, which ruined their plans multiple times, they can not comprehend his social skills
- he progresses faster than anyone alive, going from nobody to Yonko is just a few years
Power of friendship and fighting prowess are the two reasons he's exceptional and a traditional shonen hero.

So at the end of the day shonen villain underestimated shonen hero. Nothing that crazy here. As they started to realize he was a bigger threat than Ace, their "official" forces were already outpowered and now the old fucks have to make a move themselves.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "The gomu gomu no mi was fake all along and in reality it was Nika's" was obviously made up on the fly as the series evolved but it's so so so so well made and it fits so well with the story and lore that one can only tip their hats to Oda for a job well done, again.

I wish more authors retconned stuff like that.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That works in real life, but not for a comic book story. Oda should have had the Gorosei alluded to Nika long ago.
We've had mentions of a Sun God since Skypea. The WG not being concerned about a 800 old myth besides slaves talking about it isn't too surprising. They don't really have to try in a world where they mostly control all the news and information that can get out to normal people. Some islands thought devil fruits are a myth in current time.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Egghead been too peak can't lie, I'll wait till the full summary and the full Vegapunk message before making an opinion on both this chapter and this subplot. Just hope it doesn't get stalled much more

Full message reads "Man I don't know shit about shit"

cue chapter break.

Thing thing is the government did try we have went down this road so many times.
The problem for some is the government did not try because of the DF it self or mention it as a reason .
Which can be explain is they did not want anyone to know or because it did not awaken in 800 years and luffy would died before then .
The had many other reasons to tell people to kill luffy which they try to over and over .

I would like to think we better on this forum but the whole WG not try hard enough will never not be funny .
They try and just because they did not mention his DF until later did not mean they not try kill Luffy or capture him over course 1000 chapters .
It did not matter how hard they try they could kill him for every other reason and he escape adding the DF special reason on top of that won't have matter .

im just talking shit. OP nakama is the best.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Robin has been reading stuff and maybe she's just keeping it under wraps, but she doesn't know Joyboy's whole deal besides some remarks and apologies from him. Zunesha was all like "omg Joyboy has returned" when Luffy went Gear 5 so i don't know where people were sleeping during that time, or maybe they skipped Wano.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they ?
Was there any reason for the elders to think that luffy would awaken his DF after it not been done in 800 years from most likely many users .
It there any reason for the Elders to think that luffy would escape them time after time and then become the faster ever yonko in about 2 years and 6 months .

Just read the spoilers, I thought it was common knowledge in the fandom that Joyboy had this fruit lmao

For some yeah .
Still it funny seeing people get mad that it got to get spell out for causal readers when the media literacy for hardcore fandom so bad online.
You watch some OP YouTubers and wondering if they reading the same thing we are lol .

Last edited:

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Luffy being "the chosen one" has been telegraphed for over 500 chapters at this point.

The foreshadowing and set up between Luffy and the chosen one/Sun God is undeniable.

Where it falls apart for me is making the Gum Gum fruit the Nika Nika fruit, and Gum Gum doesn't actually exist.

And the World Government is the one who made that choice.

And they've been after it for 800 years.

And despite their vast reach and intelligence agencies they just recently figured out the guy with a strawhat who is a D, who is related to Garp/Dragon and has stretchy powers might have the Nika fruit?

Or they've always had a good idea Luffy had the fruit and decided to chill and see what happens? Despite showing how ruthlessly murderous they can be with mere hints?

The only explanation that's somewhat satisfying is they're lazy and incompetent. Or Garp/Shanks pulled some serious strings to protect Luffy early on. Everything else is too sloppy.

Oct 25, 2017
No idea what that means

O my brother in Christ…don't worry I took ya place 😂😂. The main thread cooked me so bad I had two individuals tell me to just drop the series and leave it will never be that deep I just don't like the arc.

Also just this pretty much all shonen regardless how ppl act like they not..run the same tropes

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The foreshadowing and set up between Luffy and the chosen one/Sun God is undeniable.

Where it falls apart for me is making the Gum Gum fruit the Nika Nika fruit, and Gum Gum doesn't actually exist.

And despite their vast reach and intelligence agencies they just recently figured out the guy with a strawhat who is a D, who is related to Garp/Dragon and has stretchy powers might have the Nika fruit?

Or they've always had a good idea Luffy had the fruit and decided to chill and see what happens? Despite showing how ruthlessly murderous they can be with mere hints?

The only explanation that's somewhat satisfying is they're lazy and incompetent. Or Garp/Shanks pulled some serious strings to protect Luffy early on. Everything else is too sloppy.
We have no idea if the fruit is actually dangerous to them (I mean outside of being overpowered like many others). Roger could find the OP without it

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Well you got Imu calling the current D-havers i quote "weak ass shit" compared to the real deal D clan before the void century, and the Gorosei leaving all the man labor to the marines most of the time besides the human hunts they did every 4 years where the Holy Knights do some stuff.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I agree the fruit itself doesn't seem to be a specific issue for the Gorosei. But it's clear, from Saturn's comments earlier in the arc, that they despise the idea behind Nika and what he represents to the world at large. Obviously, they shouldn't want to risk Luffy becoming the new Nika and becoming a new Joyboy like figure in the world.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

But they never chill they try kill him countless time .
They try kill him for all stuff aside from his DF like being pirate , beating warlords , hitting a CD ,breaking in ID , being dragon son etc etc etc .
There was never a case where WG just sit back and try not to capture or kill luffy he just escape even during the fight he awaken they try and he come back to life.
People forget for all the power the WG has they could stop roger from getting to laugh tale and if WB want to know he could know info also .

I agree the fruit itself doesn't seem to be a specific issue for the Gorosei. But it's clear, from Saturn's comments earlier in the arc, that they despise the idea behind Nika and what he represents to the world at large. Obviously, they shouldn't want to risk Luffy becoming the new Nika and becoming a new Joyboy like figure in the world.

I mean they try to avoid it but when person comes back to life it kinda hard to avoid lol.
Like even now they trying to kill luffy and stand no chance .

Mans said "it's as if the fruit is avoiding us" man if you don't get off that chair and get it

The DF fall into shanks hands who they don't mess with maybe they did get off ass to get DF and it never matter so they give up and leave it to others lol.

Last edited:

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I can only laugh at this, imagine the Elders that exterminated an entire country for learning breadcrumbs of void century not having any reaction to a rubberman beyond ''that fellow that took down Crocodile'' or ''that straw hat guy always in the news, not surprising because he is Garp's grandson'', them knowing about the legendary rubberman and caring so much about that fruit in Wano is as clear as retcons get, Oda early on in his interviews has no issue admitting many things are unplanned but likes to connect them when he has new ideas and plans so there's really no issue beyond how forced some things land compared to others.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I can only laugh at this, imagine the Elders that exterminated an entire country for learning breadcrumbs of void century not having any reaction to a rubberman beyond ''that fellow that took down Crocodile'' or ''that straw hat guy always in the news, not surprising because he is Garp's grandson'', them knowing about the legendary rubberman and caring so much about that fruit in Wano is as clear as retcons get, Oda early on in his interviews has no issue admitting many things are unplanned but likes to connect them when he has new ideas and plans so there's really no issue beyond how forced some things land compared to others.

"rubberman" lived through a buster call which resulted in the destruction of Enies Lobby.

Apr 9, 2024
Luffy has been "the chosen one" since Whitebeard trash-talked Teech with his dying words.

Even if people don't like it, which I understand, I feel like the chosen one/destiny has been laid out and hinted at since chapter 96. Shocked me on my last reread.

main-qimg-0430845b5ba382cc43fa4a3fc01cda37

Woop slap been knowing too much since the get. I completely agree that the Nika concept didn't get wholly fleshed out until Wano, though I'm sure Oda had inklings of it through his writing of One Piece--making the world rubber awakening style, etc. There's a big payoff difference with a twist like the fruit actually being a Zoan without even mentioning the name Nika before hand in the manga before the 1,000s, still feels a little thin in the scope of things but I do like the actual gear 5th shenanigans.

As far as reveals on these thin of spoilers go, at least it can be argued in universe (and motivated by the story) that Vegapunk doesn't know much. Feels way better than him saying it to everyone but the audience, and we are strung out for another 500 chapters on just world reactions. Could still happen, but I'm kind of doubting it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

For the record, 800 years back would put us during a time where the Roman empire hadn't fully fallen, Genghis Khan was roaming around and the 100 years war between France and England was over a century from happening.
It's a crazy long time.
We've had people turn into legend in half that timeframe and we have painting of them to remember.
If the WG suppressed anything Nika, it's a kind of a miracle the Joyboy legend managed to be passed on.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I am not really going to make excuses for the Gorosei since they are an evil force by any standards, but they may have had their last fight centuries ago. And Vegapunk is defacto smarter than them because they don't know how to make the mother flame and neither does Imu. I think of them as the violent oppressors who took power and let the advanced society of the ancient kingdom go to ruin.
Hence why the moving floors in Mary Geoise are now powered by slave labor because they don't have knowledge about their actual power source anymore and make do with primitive power like that.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Personally, I never liked the Nika fruit reveal. It felt like an excuse to give Luffy a brand new shiny form to sell more merchandise. It feels like a SJ editorial mandate to give the MC a Saiyan-like power-up.

To be clear, I'm fine with Luffy being a 'chosen one' or Joyboy's incarnation. I just don't like how his fruit went from being a silly fruit that Luffy made it work to a god fruit. I would be fine with everything Gear 5th already does, except the creating googles part.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The elders also suggested that it got away from them every time they tried to get their hands on it and that the fruit might have it's own will, so it's also possible they might have decided it's better to just keep track of it's user and take them down if they seem to problematic and likely to awaken rather than risk losing track of it entirely.

Apr 9, 2024

Right but the whole destiny thing feels like it removes any agency from the main character in the end. If they were chosen--was it always going to be that way, no matter what they did? If they sat on their ass, would they still save the world? What's the point in the struggle and journey we just watched if it was destiny? It feels like a shoddy way to make the story feel bigger than it is when the characters and their actions should be the one dictating that feeling.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Right but the whole destiny thing feels like it removes any agency from the main character in the end. If they were chosen--was it always going to be that way, no matter what they did? If they sat on their ass, would they still save the world? What's the point in the struggle and journey we just watched if it was destiny? It feels like a shoddy way to make the story feel bigger than it is when the characters and their actions should be the one dictating that feeling.
I don't disagree but that's just how those tropes go. Although Luffy wanted to be pirate king before eating the fruit, so there's that