• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
DtYVZ7_U4AAf7oR.jpg:large

The official OT writer Mr. Sam is afk atm and the official launch is Dec 14 and an OP isn't expected until even 1 week before launch, so I'm going to put up a spoiler thread in the meantime since the Special Preview was today and people have seen it and the other Special Preview is Dec 8/9

Spider-Man-Into-the-Spider-Verse-Movie.jpg

Mr. Sam if you put up an OT that is Open Spoilers feel free to close this thread.​

I'm back, just not posting much lately. Thanks for the heads up.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it today. It was good. Not mind blowing but good. Girlfriend wants to go see it again in a couple weeks, and I'll pick it up once it's out at home.

During the credits I was saying that my biggest nerd complaint from a spider-nerd point of view was that the most famous alternate universe spider-man wasn't in the movie and then they hit me with that after credits. Maybe for the sequel then.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So this is supposed to be a Miles movie, is he the bulk of the movie or is it Spider-Verse a majority of the time.

Or is it 50% miles / 50% spider verse

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So is the original Spider-Man from Mile's world obviously Ultimate Spider-Man like in the comics? Or did they just make it seem like regular 616 Spider-Man but in Mile's world.
Definitely not Ultimate Spider-Man. It's more like 616 Spider-Man in a universe made just for the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
So is the original Spider-Man from Mile's world obviously Ultimate Spider-Man like in the comics? Or did they just make it seem like regular 616 Spider-Man but in Mile's world.
These are all new universes in the movie that just happen to contain versions of characters similar to some we already know. It's not exactly 1610 or 616 Miles/Peter. Among other things, they established early on that Miles' universe was a new alternate universe by making Peter blonde like Ben Reilly and labeling the police as the PDNY (instead of the NYPD).

The Spider-man of this universe seems to me to take more after 616, but then the Goblin he was fighting takes after 1610. It's a mix and match.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of thoughts from Saturday's screening:

Nic Cage was amazing in this, hell so was Spider-ham...but the rubik cube thing...hahaha
That Stan Lee cameo, my entire theater applauded it, it was a nice moment.
Oscar Isaac got a better Marvel role with that cameo as 2099.
aaaand that's the 2nd time Marvel kills off Mahershala Ali's character...who you could sympathize for...damn.

Overall, I walked out that with a smile on my face like I hadn't had in a long time, felt like the only thing missing was a J.K Simmons reprisal of Jonah.

Oct 25, 2017
That was Oscar as Miguel? I didn't even catch that! Sweet. I guess with that big a name behind the character he's for sure going to play a solid part in the next one. Just as I had hoped.

Oct 28, 2017
Went to a screening last night and not gonna lie, I teared up a little at that Stan cameo and during the dedication at the end. Very well done, Sony.

Oct 26, 2017
This is without a doubt the best Spider-Man movie ever.

And the 2099 2nd after-credits scene? Hilarious.

The whole thing was just wonderfully charming, funny, and heart-felt. Everything a spider-man movie should be.

Also, "hard boiled turtle slappers" is my new favourite insult.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Maaaannnn I just got out and thats in my top 5 comic book movies without a doubt.

My theater ERUPTED at 2099.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Pine as a Peter Parker really fucked with me considering I just figured it was Jake Johnson the whole time

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not terribly well versed in Spider-Man lore but wasn't he referenced numerous times as Peter...?

Haha yea I'm confused. Blonde guy was definitely another Peter

Edit: just googled Ben Reily and I get it. I vaguely remember this storyline being adapted in the 90s animated Spider-Man .

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Haha yea I'm confused. Blonde guy was definitely another Peter

Ben Reilly, in the comics, is the clone of Spider-Man who, at a certain point, is believed to be the REAL Peter Parker. Peter and MJ essentially retire and try to have a family and Ben becomes Spider-Man, dying his hair blond.

Obviously, he's not exactly Ben here but its a nod to it for sure.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Ben Reilly, in the comics, is the clone of Spider-Man who, at a certain point, is believed to be the REAL Peter Parker. Peter and MJ essentially retire and try to have a family and Ben becomes Spider-Man, dying his hair blond.

Obviously, he's not exactly Ben here but its a nod to it for sure.

Well, shows you how much I know, haha. Regardless, I thought it was a pretty nice surprise.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
I was waiting for Madame Web to show up the entire movie. Aunt May chilling in the batcave with some tea was close enough.

Loved the movie and the use of Miguel was amazing. Somehow I completely forgot about him even though I beat Shattered Dimensions and watched the cartoon.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think that this is my favorite Spider-Man movie hands down.

Nearly everything about the film ranged from good to great. The characters, the music, the visuals, the comedy and action...simply great.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the best Spider-Man movie, though there are things I definitely didn't like and that I liked better in the other films.

For one thing, I didn't like just how abstract the last fight was (with the Kingpin). Also how did Miles' dad get there? Why was he the only one? Kinda convenient. Also convenient is how Miles instantly becomes super-competent the moment he gets over his insecurities. Also, as someone who read the comics I really hoped they didn't finish the fight with a venom strike, but I guess it's the first film so there's no helping it.

I immensely liked the scene where Miles sees Spider-Man in action versus the Green Goblin. There's such an air of competence about him, it reminded me of that scene in Superior Spider-Man when Peter finally comes back.

I wonder if the next films (I hope there are any) will go back to the Spider-Verse concept or just stay with Miles. I'd rather they stay with Miles but it might be a tough sale to have two concurrent "normal" Spider-Man film series. Also, Miles' comics don't really supply any good solo materials-- just storylines rudely aborted by horrendous crossovers (aside from the initial one). I haven't read Miles since a bit after the merge with the main universe so maybe I'm wrong.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Gwen arriving a week earlier and just let things happen is abit irresponsible of her considering she even managed to infiltrated Kingpin organization. Pretty weird her arriving a week earlier doesn't make any difference in the story. Unless of course they want to make it that she faked Peter Parker's death in this, but then that would push Miles sideways.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That scene where Miles is holding Peter over the collider, and he realises that he himself needs to take the leap of faith; what a hauntingly beautiful moment. That immediately cemented itself as one of the top Spidey moments ever for me.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's share the easter eggs we managed to catch!

B Bendis being on Miles' contacts list when he's looking for someone to call (Ultimate Spider-Man writer).
Iron Spider (from the comics) suit and 2018 videogame suit in the batcave.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Wish we had gotten more of the other spider-people, but it was Miles' story, and it was a great one. The VA work was great, even for the more random characters like Spider-Noir, and Spider-Ham. Theater experience was great too. Jokes landed, and people were laughing a lot. Animation was amazing, and really, this was just an incredible movie. One of the best superhero films ever.

And the movie is incredibly accessible to non-comic readers. I don't read any of these, yet all the new spider-people were super charming, and I wanted to see more of them all.

Theater got really quiet during the Stan Lee cameo, and his and Kirby's memorial card in the credits. I kind of hope this is the last Lee cameo, because that was absolutely perfect, and I don't think they could have planed a better final cameo.

And that end sequence was absolutely hilarious.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the biggest problem the film had was not enough development of most of the other Spider-Men. Part of me thinks that's just down to the runtime though, hard to imagine a movie like this being much longer given its main audience.

Anyway, something I was wondering. How did the other Spider-People know to visit Aunt May? If they had known nothing about Peter Parker then they would have surely gone to visit MJ first given they would have seen her on the news etc. I guess?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The other spider-men didn't need a ton of development, the film trusts the audience to get it after the first two 'so let's go back to the beginning, one last time' sequences. Spider-Man is the mantle passed to people within the multiverse who have a specific set of accidents and tragedies beset them. We just happened to be there for Miles while everyone else has been at it for years if not decades. There's more than enough there between noir and penny and gwen to understand their motivations and why they're initially skeptical and later accepting of miles.
We similarly didn't need a ton of backstory for Ock or Tombstone or Norman. They're all there to show Miles how outclassed he is, not to become individual sob stories the way the overloaded spider-man 3 or the shoemaker batman films were. We get a glimpse of motivation for Fisk and Prowler and that's plenty.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem the film had was not enough development of most of the other Spider-Men. Part of me thinks that's just down to the runtime though, hard to imagine a movie like this being much longer given its main audience.

Anyway, something I was wondering. How did the other Spider-People know to visit Aunt May? If they had known nothing about Peter Parker then they would have surely gone to visit MJ first given they would have seen her on the news etc. I guess?
I feel like it's a super good, high budget cartoon arc - but with the gusto of a movie

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Also, credit to the team for not bogging the movie down with technobable. Quick exposition moment with Doc Oc talking about other dimensions, and that's it. Spider-Man has a USB drive that will stop it, and that's it. The technical details were such a small part of the story, and I really liked that.

Side note, I don't know if Female Doc Oc was a thing, but I absolutely loved her reveal in the lab, not having any clue that it was coming.

Oct 26, 2017
I love this film so much.

So many moments the whole audience laughed at.

Lots of moments that hit in the heart and could make you cry.

It was so bright and yet so dark.

It was 100% a Miles movie and made so lovable.

Yet it's also love letter to everything Spiderman related.

I just want more at the end of the day.

Nov 2, 2017

B Bendis being on Miles' contacts list when he's looking for someone to call (Ultimate Spider-Man writer).
Sara Pichelli, the artist, was also in the contacts albeit in a different scene when he's scrolling through.

Some of the reality bending stuff was fun to see like Chance the Rapper on the poster in Miles' dorm having a "4" on his hat instead of the usual "3".

Side note: I loved how they utilized Aunt May in this film as like this Alfred esque character.

Feb 10, 2018
I missed the first 20 - 30 mins, I'm guessing it's just Peter Parker being killed by kingpin and giving his powers to miles?

Holy shit nic cage, Chris pine, Liev schreiber and other cool actors. I can't believe I did not recognise them.

Also while this is a great movie set in the spiderman universe, it is not the best spiderman movie because its to much of a deviation from the source material.

Last edited:

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017

I think I saw a Clone High poster when they were in Times Square. Nice reference to Lord/Miller's first tv show.

Status
Not open for further replies.