• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

[SPOILERS] Devil May Cry 5 for PS4 is (Slightly) more censored than on Xbox One and PC, but only in the West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
But that's the million dollar question, isn't it? Sony's policy change has been (and still is) hotly debated as to whether it's intended to curb the tide of Japanese games sexualizing female characters (especially underage characters), or a simple marketing move to appeal to a more family friendly audience. And of course, beyond Sony's motivations, the more relevant question is what effect, if any, the policy will have on either, and whether it's a net positive or negative. Whatever your opinions on that, this specific example is probably not going to change your mind either way.
Well, if it is intended to address that gender imbalance and female objectification, then it's - at least in this case - not working. And it would generally be the wrong way to approach the problem IMO. This isn't the kind of issue that has a quick fix, it's a systemic issue rooted in broader societal gender inequality and the industry's lack of diversity. Not to mention that this kind of "fix" has the nasty side effect of giving nudity in general a negative connotation when the problem is usually not the nudity itself but the context, the framing, the gender imbalance and, often times, goes much deeper than just skimpy outfits and cameras lingering on butts and breasts. You can't fix sexist character tropes, sexist character designs, the lack of female, LGBTQ and other minority protagonists and bad writing with censorship.

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I mean, the first thing my gf said when watching me playing the game was how hot Nero is. He is also obviously sexualized. I can't tell about Lady and Trish because I haven't finished the game yet (ch. 14 now), but Nico is a great character. I don't think her only purpose is to be sexy. She's behaving much like Dante in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
It's stupid fanservice that is just there to objectify the female characters. Should have cut both scenes completely from the game.

I have nothing against nudity in games, but when it's done in such a lecherous and creepy way I don't care if they do something to limit the unecessary sexualization.
Especially when these scenes seem so out of place like the one with Lady.
Wait, what is the Lady one? And did they change that as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.