• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
To me both seem like valid stances. If one is okay but the other not, then it gets weird
They're not equatable and the people who bring up violence only due so when they feel like their pixels are being taken away.

Is there a good reason why she's naked in the image the OP linked to?
No. It's quite contrived but don't play DMCV expecting Lady and Trish to get their time to shine.

This is rich coming from the publisher of the Last of Us
Where's the needless sexualization in TLOU again?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that Devil May Cry is about killing demons, so why would there be an expectation to seeing a naked Trish or Lady to begin with?
Might as well ask why there are cheesy one liners. That Devil may cry is solely about killing demons simply isn't quite right. It's meant to be cheesy action schlock and sexy characters fit right into that.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I think it's dumb to hide an adult's butt in an 18+ game.

I have no context for this scene, though. I am sure it is integral to the plot that a female cast member is completely nude for reasons.

So yes, the light ray is dumb in this case, but is the scene horny pandering or relevant (somehow?)

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Haven't played it but idk. I've never seen a scene like that in a game that justified its nudity and wasn't just for kicks. She's still naked in the censor version, and while it would make more sense to remove it if you're going to censor it instead of just light added, it still conveys the same message.

So without playing it I don't really see any value lost and it seems like a stupid way to use nudity in the first place.

But I may be missing something
All nudity has to have "meaning" for it to be allowed? I'm not sure I agree with that.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No, there really fucking isn't. You defeat Cavaliere Angelo as Dante and find out that Trish is inside it naked for some reason. The funny thing is, she summons clothes using her powers after Dante puts her down. So it's clearly meant to be a fanservice moment as she could have gotten her threads back at any fucking point.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you let the developers decide what the game is about instead of condoning the blocking of their intended content?
Do we know if the developers wanted this?

For all we know, it could've been some suit at Capcom saying they needed to sex the game up more, especially after *certain people* may have complained that the game seemed less sexy than previous entries (especially DMC4).

Equating every single thing in a game to being the developer's vision, especially when they aren't some indie developer, is naive at best.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Does the Last of Us feature Ellie naked for no reason other than to appease horny dudes?

Huh. Must have fucking missed that in my playthrough.
No, it just flaunts the murderous brutality of someone bashing someone's elbow off with a hammer over and over in a cinematic close up shot to the point you'd only find such footage in real life on liveleak for no other reason than to appease violent psychopaths. See I can make accusations too

Edit: and it pretty much glorifies it by highlighting it in their main trailer marketing like "Oh yeah look at how rates M for mature we are guys"

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
We are talking about censorship and Sony's new policy not whether capcom changed the women characters for eye candy. Yes that's wrong but that's not the main point of the thread. Shouldn't that be a new thread of its own?

Can you really dismiss people being disappointed that some censorship is being passed thought M rated titles now on Sony's platform? This is of course when non loli stuff is even being shown. I completely agree on that regard that devs shouldn't be doing that and if they do, glad they are censored but on a game like this?

"dude is 2 seconds yada yada"...if you thibk this way, you are missing the point. This is just the start it seems. Soon enough all ps4 versions will have censorship placed compared to the other platforms. I don't really want that as ps4 is my main system. Guess I will just not buy games like this.

Same thing if they censored say Mortal Kombat 11 on ps4, not on xbox,pc and switch. I wouldn't buy it as I wouldn't support that.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I think the funniest thing about this entire fiasco is the people on the first few pages decrying that Sony is limiting Itsuno et al's artistic expression by censoring this scene, like this dumb fucking scene is meant to be a bastion of artistic integrity instead of titillating schlock to get horny manchildren hot and bothered. Get fuckin' real, bruh.

image.gif

You're taking this too far and projecting feelings onto people. It's this simple. If the director wanted that specific frame to have her ass in it, and the storyboard for that scene contained her ass, and the artists took time to model the ass for that specific scene, and the beta contained the same scene, and then the final product for all other platforms shows the ass, then it was their intent to do so. Technically, doing all of that work and then covering it up based on a third party rule isn't favorable and it discredits the amount of work(whether you consider it stupid or trash, work was put into it) making it null and void. It's that simple.

You could discuss this with the other posters who are a bit bothered by it but you're just throwing insults and using a laughing jordan gif instead. This does nothing but provoke them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's dumb to hide an adult's butt in an 18+ game.

I have no context for this scene, though. I am sure it is integral to the plot that a female cast member is completely nude for reasons.

So yes, the light ray is dumb in this case, but is the scene horny pandering or relevant (somehow?)
You tell me.

Are you really gonna pretend that style, flash and over-the-top content isn't a thing in this series?
There's nothing stylish about Trish or Lady being naked.
No, it just flaunts the murderous brutality of someone bashing someone's arm off with a hammer over and over in a cinematic close up shot for no other reason than to appease violent psychopaths
Context, how does it work. Wanna make a bet that the context in TLOU will be contextualized much better than the naked ladies in DMC5? :D I'll take that bet.
See I can make accusations too
Literally what else do you think is the point of the scenes with partial nudity in dmc5? I'd love to hear your logic because you can't seem to call a spade a spade.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, it is. Why are people getting mad about a fucking lens flare obscuring a butt? Like why would anyone seriously give a shit about this or think this is a slippery slope at all?
The only one focusing on the butt is you. Also, you keep saying "fanservice", but you wanna know what fanservice is? Go look at Dead or Alive, now that's fanservice.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
More like, actually treat the characters like characters instead of eye candy. Lady and Trish literally do nothing in this game but stand there and look pretty.

Removing the nudity doesn't solve the issue though, they'd still just standing there and looking pretty. On the other hand you could rewrite the story so they actually matter, while still including nudity.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it just flaunts the murderous brutality of someone bashing someone's elbow off with a hammer over and over in a cinematic close up shot to the point you'd only find such footage on liveleak for no other reason than to appease violent psychopaths. See I can make accusations too

So your equating violence to this and calling that an accusation? Cool.

And by cool, I mean laughably fucking transparent that you think it's the same shit and I better see you in every single fucking thread about a violent video game bringing that shit up and not just one where nudity exists to pander to horny fucking males.

How about countering the argument, if it's so blatantly stupid?

I'm intrigued to read your rebuttal.

My rebuttal to someone taking what's going on hair and asking what about covering up hair and ankles?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, that 'censoring' is very minor and inoffensive and I am A-OK with that (that being said, I am playing the game on PC so it really doesn't effect me but even if it did, it's not that egregious).

I don't think these bare ass shots were needed in the first place though.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So what if it is? Does it hurt your experience not being able to see it clearly?
Dos it really hurt your experience to not be able to hear the word fuck? Does it really hurt your experience to not be able to see blood? Does it really hurt your experience to be unable to see them kiss?

The answer is that everything removed changes a story. Some things may improve a story, some things may diminish it. But it should never be up to anyone but the creators, and democratically elected representatives, to decide what is going to be in a product sold to the public.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I think the funniest thing about this entire fiasco is the people on the first few pages decrying that Sony is limiting Itsuno et al's artistic expression by censoring this scene, like this dumb fucking scene is meant to be a bastion of artistic integrity instead of titillating schlock to get horny manchildren hot and bothered. Get fuckin' real, bruh.

image.gif
This. "Censoring" Trish's butt isn't limiting Capcom's artistic expression at all considering that the scene is just there for pointless fanservice and only lasts like 2 seconds. Like the scene only exists to pander to people who want to see a woman who looks like Dante's mom nude. It's baffling that people are so upset about this since the same sort of "censorship" already occurs with Lady regardless of platform. People should just admit they want to see Trish's ass rather than coming up with all these grand reasons like "artistic integrity".

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread seems more of fanboys going against Sony rather than fighting against censorship

If you are so against censorship why are you not discussing the facts that there are scene censored on Xbox and pc version ?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dos it really hurt your experience to not be able to hear the word fuck? Does it really hurt your experience to not be able to see blood? Does it really hurt your experience to be unable to see them kiss?

The answer is that everything removed changes a story. Some things may improve a story, some things may diminish it. But it should never be up to anyone but the creators, and democratically elected representatives, to decide what is going to be in a product sold to the public.
Fuck emphasizes a point and sentence. Blood makes action more visceral. A kiss can display how close a relationship is.

What does Lady and Trish's nudity serve? To titillate people who don't know how to fucking Google.

Deleted member 3876

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week) Inflammatory false equivalence
I love it when people equate violence and sexualization.

Because 9 times out of 10, they end up saying "Violence is allowed, why shouldn't sexy women be allowed?" instead of of "Hey, maybe we should cut back on both of them."
That's the bigger issue but I doubt the apparently ten pages worth of people outraged over *reads notes* a light being shown instead of a butt crack will care that the characters got the short end of the stick.

FTFY
Pfft. Puritans.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017

I really don't care if it's titillating shlock or an artistic masterpiece, when it comes to censorship or whatever you want to call this, one should not receive more protection than the other.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You're taking this too far and projecting feelings onto people. It's this simple. If the director wanted that specific frame to have her ass in it, and the storyboard for that scene contained her ass, and the artists took time to model the ass for that specific scene, and the beta contained the same scene, and then the final product for all other platforms shows the ass, then it was their intent to do so. Technically, doing all of that work and then covering it up based on a third party rule isn't favorable and it discredits the amount of work(whether you consider it stupid or trash, work was put into it) making it null and void. It's that simple.

You could discuss this with the other posters who are a bit bothered by it but you're just throwing insults and using a laughing jordan gif instead. This does nothing but provoke them.
It speaks volumes that the """censorship""" placed on this scene has literally no bearing on anything whatsoever. It's forgotten as soon as the shot is over. Provocative and controversial art is fine in my books if it has an actual meaningful point or message. As it stands, this scene with Trish is literally just there to get horn dogs going, let's not pretend otherwise, especially considering both Lady and Trish go on to do absolutely fucking nothing the rest of the game except serve as eyecandy. I've been in this thread since the start and people are just throwing whataboutisms and other disingenuous arguments so I couldn't give less of a shit anymore 2bh.

Itsuno or Shimomura's intent doesn't mean jackshit to me if this scene is just here to serve as fanservice. I couldn't give two shits that they went through so much effort to get Trish's ass all prim and proper for the scene only for it to get censored. It's dumb and should have never been there in the first place.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Pointless nudity?
She was consumed by a demon and got freed.
It's not like she breathes through her skin.
When we see nudity in movies, nobody would call it fan service.
Nero got absorbed by a demon in DMC4. If we adhere to the logic that being absorbed by demons now removes skin, why is Nero still clothed in DMC4? Also, why is it only specifically clothing? Could it be that the logic is contrived and only there to make it so that we get to see a naked Lady and Trish?

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Misogynist commentary
Oh, I see.

You're one of the guys that wanted Rape Day to be sold on Steam.
I don't know what that is, but if it is legal in the country where it's being sold, sure. Doesn't mean I'd want to play it. I don't really much like Von Trier movies either, but I don't think they should be banned.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
As always with this subject, if Sony really cares so much about this, the least they could do is clean up their own shit that actively promotes and profits off the sexualization of children.
epmmxexq

Not even 1,000 year old dragons, just straight up 12 year olds and this is the tame shit.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Pointless nudity?
She was consumed by a demon and got freed.
It's not like she breathes through her skin.
When we see nudity in movies, nobody would call it fan service.
That does sound like a Quiet situation though.

Did they really have to make it so she is naked? Couldn't they done a different way if they wish to use her as a battery?

I mean Lady was also shown naked so it should be clear what they intended.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

so you are saying the other games that sony censored featuring groping young girls shouldnt have been censored as well? after all, the developers made the scenes, "it was their intent to do so".

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
So your equating violence to this and calling that an accusation? Cool.

And by cool, I mean laughably fucking transparent that you think it's the same shit and I better see you in every single fucking thread about a violent video game bringing that shit up and not just one where nudity exists to pander to horny fucking males.
I'm just calling out a very hypocritical nature of a company using maximum hyper realistic brutality to sell their game while also saying their audience can't handle or Sony is above showing butts in an M rated game.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So what if it is? Does it hurt your experience not being able to see it clearly?

Well if it is arbitrary censorship I have issues with it, like a lot of that. I do remember what happened to my country the last time someone used it in the 1920 (as most Euroepan do), that's why there are laws and indipendent companies that dedicates their works to rating and correctly labeling media.

If Sony has strictier policies then they should make them public since PEGI/CERO/ESRB have their guidelines public and well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.