• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
As always with this subject, if Sony really cares so much about this, the least they could do is clean up their own shit that actively promotes and profits off the sexualization of children.
Not even 1,000 year old dragons, just straight up 12 year olds and this is the tame shit.
Sony Interactive Entertainment =/= Aniplex/Sony Music Entertainment Japan

I agree with you though, but F/GO is another debate entirely.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just calling out a very hypocritical nature of a company using maximum hyper realistic brutality to sell their game while also saying their audience can't handle or Sony is above showing butts in an M rated game.
It's not hypocritical at all because that implies that they're one and the same concept or at least related. Neither are related. And often times one is way more contextualized than the other.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Nero got absorbed by a demon in DMC4. If we adhere to the logic that being absorbed by demons now removes skin, why is Nero still clothed in DMC4? Also, why is it only specifically clothing? Could it be that the logic is contrived and only there to make it so that we get to see a naked Lady and Trish?
So they aren't allowed to improve? I completely agree, it would have made more sense for his clothes to have been gone as well, if the situations were equivalent.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
As always with this subject, if Sony really cares so much about this, the least they could do is clean up their own shit that actively promotes and profits off the sexualization of children.
epmmxexq

Not even 1,000 year old dragons, just straight up 12 year olds and this is the tame shit.
You are right that the isseus with FGO's designs should be discussed. but that is a problem with sony's divisions being too separate from one another, the censorship decision is handled by SIE.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Strange why this is censored, when games with more explicit content passes just fine. Most recently, Metro Exodus has some quite explicit nudity, and nothing was censored.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Now, are you going to answer?

Okay.

Let's break this down.

Covering up hair and ankles

IS NOT EVEN IN THE SAME FUCKING UNIVERSE

as this issue.

I'm sorry you're so fucking stupid that you think equating the two warrants a response.

Fuck outta here with that nonsense.

I'm just calling out a very hypocritical nature of a company using maximum hyper realistic brutality to sell their game while also saying their audience can't handle or Sony is above showing butts in an M rated game.

No, you're not. You are bringing up violence as a deflection because your not capable of addressing a seperate issue without bringing up violence, something you won't ever do unless honey weeb pandering is involved.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Pointless nudity in a video game is fanservice. The fact that DoA is worse does not change that DMCV is also bad about it.
Saw the Trish and Lady clips. Honestly, I don't see much sexualization in this 18+ game, it's tame and harmless so I'm fine with it. Needless fanservice were the ass shots in the Broly movie.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Fuck emphasizes a point and sentence. Blood makes action more visceral. A kiss can display how close a relationship is.

What does Lady and Trish's nudity serve? To titillate people who don't know how to fucking Google.
It's part of the overall over-the-top style of the games? I don't really play DMC games, but the style seems similar to something like Kill La Kill, or Gurren Lagann? The nudity certainly added something for me when watching those shows.

What argument. You made no argument. You presented an aggressively stupid hypothetical.

16296ae4db658ea29209ebfbcf33c8d8.gif
...cool.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
It speaks volumes that the """censorship""" placed on this scene has literally no bearing on anything whatsoever. It's forgotten as soon as the shot is over. Provocative and controversial art is fine in my books if it has an actual meaningful point or message. As it stands, this scene with Trish is literally just there to get horn dogs going, let's not pretend otherwise, especially considering both Lady and Trish go on to do absolutely fucking nothing the rest of the game except serve as eyecandy.

Hey man, sometimes nudity and sexual scenes don't always have a meaningful point. Does it suck? Yes. Is it going to stop? Probably not as we have a long way to go. It doesn't matter if the nudity in this scene is disingenuous or not, the nudity itself was what they decided on in the end. You can try and point fingers, say the publisher wanted it, or however you want to call it. At the end of the day, those shots in this product contained nudity in them. Saying that censoring this is correct, and then an indie darling comes along or a well-liked AAA game comes along that actually makes a good message with nudity but is also censored, then saying censoring that is wrong, makes this entire community full of hypocrites. Sony's worldwide censorship doesn't work on a case by case basis like we do in our opinions, as it is lock and key across the board and that's the real issue that we need to discuss here.

Edit:

so you are saying the other games that sony censored featuring groping young girls shouldnt have been censored as well? after all, the developers made the scenes, "it was their intent to do so".

No. What I'm really trying to say is that Sony's system doesn't work on a case by case basis, it is worldwide regardless of release. In a perfect world, they would simply censor and ban only the games that you are describing in your quote. However, this isn't a perfect world and they are censoring it all regardless of content and artistic intent. That's the issue.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Nero got absorbed by a demon in DMC4. If we adhere to the logic that being absorbed by demons now removes skin, why is Nero still clothed in DMC4? Also, why is it only specifically clothing? Could it be that the logic is contrived and only there to make it so that we get to see a naked Lady and Trish?
I think I remember seeing a similar scene having 'V' lose his clothing as well though in his case, you mostly just see him above the belt It seems to be how DMC5 is handling the concept though.
Strange why this is censored, when games with more explicit content passes just fine. Most recently, Metro Exodus has some quite explicit nudity, and nothing was censored.
If other versions in the West got edited as well, but only this one scene is changed between versions in the west, it seems like it may be more likely that it's a Capcom change with them not noticing as much that this one scene only got changed in the PS4 version.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
That does sound like a Quiet situation though.

Did they really have to make it so she is naked? Couldn't they done a different way if they wish to use her as a battery?

I mean Lady was also shown naked so it should be clear what they intended.

I don't see the problem. It's not ridiculous but a common thing in scifi/fantasy when being spilled out. There are no ass zooms like in mgs or anime. I think, it's quite natural.
Sexism is a problem but not nudity. Even when it's not "necessary". At least that's how we see it in Europe. There's nothing bad about a naked body. It also can show the vulnerability of someone in a symbolic way and it makes sense here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's part of the overall over-the-top style of the games? I don't really play DMC games,
Quite evident because no, this is not part of them. This is actually a huge downgrade when it comes to these characters. After they already got a downgrade in the last one.

I don't see the problem. It's not ridiculous but a common thing in scifi/fantasy when being spilled out. There are no ass zooms like in mgs or anime. I think, it's quite natural.
Sexism is a problem but not nudity
You should probably play the game in question because you're very clearly coming at the topic while not being informed.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm pretty amazed that people are actually motivated to defend something as silly as this.

It's a half-visible butt. Come on.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with no attachment to the DMC series, I might be wading in to something over my head, but...

This censorship seems stupid. This isn't some pedo grossness or anything along those lines. This is a game rated by a ratings board as being "mature" and the reasons for being so are clearly laid out.

And yeah, by most accounts this scene seems fan-servicey and pointless, but who cares? The creators of the game decided to include it. It's just kind of weird to micro-manage game decisions by people who didn't make the game on a case by case basis.

Whole thing just seems bizarre to me. An "18+" game with copious amounts of violence that was "accurately" rated, a throwaway butt scene is the bridge too far.

Once again, not debating the "merit" of the scene, but it's wild the inconsistency shown across the board for an "18+" game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hey man, sometimes nudity and sexual scenes don't always have a meaningful point. Does it suck? Yes. Is it going to stop? Probably not as we have a long way to go. It doesn't matter if the nudity in this scene is disingenuous or not, the nudity itself was what they decided on in the end. You can try and point fingers, say the publisher wanted it, or however you want to call it. At the end of the day, those shots in this product contained nudity in them. Saying that censoring this is correct, and then an indie darling comes along or a well-liked AAA game comes along that actually makes a good message with nudity but is also censored, then saying censoring that is wrong, makes this entire community full of hypocrites. Sony's worldwide censorship doesn't work on a case by case basis like we do in our opinions, as it is lock and key across the board and that's the real issue that we need to discuss here.
Again, why would their intent matter? They made this scene knowing full well that any of the platform holders could ask them to adjust it to meet their sensibilities if they didn't like it. Putting all the blame on Sony here is misguided when it's more than likely that Capcom adjusted the scene themselves to ensure they would meet Sony's own standards and regulations a la Marvelous with Senran Kagura.

Saying that censoring this is correct, and then an indie darling comes along or a well-liked AAA game comes along that actually makes a good message with nudity but is also censored, then saying censoring that is wrong, makes this entire community full of hypocrites.
Who are you quoting here? Unless you have an actual example of this, you're pulling things out of your ass.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sexism is a problem but not nudity. Even when it's not "necessary". At least that's how we see it in Europe. There's nothing bad about a naked body. It also can show the vulnerability of someone in a symbolic way and it makes sense here.
The problem here is that this scene and the one with Lady is put in as a fan service scene. You can attempt to overlook it and say it is just a "normal" scene but that's not how most people are seeing it. Don't believe me? Go on YouTube and look up the scene then look in the comments. At best the scene is poorly done. At worst it is working as intended which is a fan service scene of women put into the game for no reason.

Also as stated above, in DMC canon demons don't need people to be naked when absorbed so why do it now and not in DMC4 when Nero is absorbed?

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
That is the thing with censorship. Drawing the line or leaving it out.

After the past years and how vocal some ideas on sexualisation of females in games, I feel that it was bound to happen sooner or later.
The audience rating should be enough, similar to movies, imo.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty amazed that people are actually motivated to defend something as silly as this.

It's a half-visible butt. Come on.

The funniest part is the people coming in here and acting like it's a bunch of weird men who just want to see a pixel butt, rather than the precedent it sets censoring a human body part that everyone has.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is such a trivial thing. who cares either way? It's not like they removed the scene or edited it heavily, and even if they had, nothing of consequence would have been gained or lost.

some ppl are really worked up over their Free Speech right to see a tiny amount of anime ass.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why a scene being pointless fanservice justifies censoring it?

You can both think the scene is pointless and unnecessary and also think that Sony forcing them to add a ray of light to cover a butt crack is stupid.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Quite evident because no, this is not part of them. This is actually a huge downgrade when it comes to these characters. After they already got a downgrade in the last one.
Yup. Lady and Trish being relegated to basically being glorified extras who are only there to be eyecandy is honestly the only real negative I have with DMC5. It's especially disappointing since DMC3 Lady is one of the best female characters in the genre and is arguably the real star of that game's story. I still think the game is absolutely incredible but I really hope they improve on this aspect in DMC6.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Sony Interactive Entertainment =/= Aniplex/Sony Music Entertainment Japan

I agree with you though, but F/GO is another debate entirely.
You are right that the isseus with FGO's designs should be discussed. but that is a problem with sony's divisions being too separate from one another, the censorship decision is handled by SIE.
Sony as a whole is still profiting from it and are at the very least closer to Aniplex then they are to Capcom and the other developers whom they dictate what is and isn't okay.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Okay.

Let's break this down.

Covering up hair and ankles

IS NOT EVEN IN THE SAME FUCKING UNIVERSE

as this issue.

I'm sorry you're so fucking stupid that you think equating the two warrants a response.

Fuck outta here with that nonsense.
So you have no rebuttal, and went for the ad hominem?

Ok, I'll go for the report button, I think.

Forcing developers to make characters which cover their hair is very much the same ball game as forcing developers to make characters wearing any clothes at all. It's a ball game which, once again, should be left up to the consumer, and their elected representatives.

Thanks for the mutually beneficial debate.

Last edited:

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
That's why I think there might an error or something behind it, there is no reason Sony would do that. A lot of games have stupid fan service and it's not Sony that will make them stop.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling. Account in junior phase.
The problem here is that this scene and the one with Lady is put in as a fan service scene. You can attempt to overlook it and say it is just a "normal" scene but that's not how most people are seeing it. Don't believe me? Go on YouTube and look up the scene then look in the comments. At best the scene is poorly done. At worst it is working as intended which is a fan service scene of women put into the game for no reason.

Also as stated above, in DMC canon demons don't need people to be naked when absorbed so why do it now and not in DMC4 when Nero is absorbed?

How do you know it was intended as a fan service.

If you view video games as a form of media, a form of art, similar to cinema, then it should be possible for a game director to be accountable for his vision no matter if it brings nudity, violence and you like it or not (Irreversible, Antichrist, Nymphomaniac?).

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Okay.
No, you're not. You are bringing up violence as a deflection because your not capable of addressing a seperate issue without bringing up violence, something you won't ever do unless honey weeb pandering is involved.
You're preaching to the choir Ganondorf. Talk about extremism, have some dignity. You need to take some time off from ResetEra and Twitter. I was one of the biggest criticizers on Xenoblade 2's pointless and horrible pandering pre-release.

You can both think the scene is pointless and unnecessary and also think that Sony forcing them to add a ray of light to cover a butt crack is stupid.
No no, it's one way or the other. Either you agree with the God™ Sony, or you're weeb trash who should be banned or something apparently

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Is this really worth getting worked up about?

Really not, the aggressivity showed by some posters here is really worring.

Honestly if videogames were a medium with just 1/4 of the maturity and professionalism of other media like music and movies various publications would have already asked Sony clarifications about this and their reasons, we would have discussed them and we would have all moved on with our lives.

Sadly videogames are decades away from this.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, wondering if the JP<->West version differences are a mistake or a sign of Japan pushing back. Plenty of previous evidence that indicated this was a global policy.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Give this a a couple of days and literally no one will be talking about this.

Most of the people whining about "censorship" will still end up buying the game.
A lot of the people who are complaining already bought it without knowing it would be censored in only one version/region.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin

I don't know. I'd prefer him to be naked after being consumed.

It's an artist's decision. And in this case is easy for me to respect the decision and I think it's a shame that it got censored.

I think we have a lot of objectification of women in video games. For example, I love Final Fantasy but some costumes are ridiculous. When I replayed FFX I felt ashamed for the design of the shop keepers.
But DMC is a self-aware game. It's sexy. The women are strong and sexy. The guys are strong and sexy. And I think some revealing costumes are much more fan service than the scenes showing naked, unconscious bodies.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, I agree with this. I have no idea whether the scene makes sense or is fanservice -- I don't play the series -- but as far as I am concerned censoring a naked butt in an 18+ game (or any game for that matter) is silly regardless.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

If you view video games as a form of media, a form of art, similar to cinema, then it should be possible for a game director to be accountable for his vision no matter if it brings nudity, violence and you like it or not (Irreversible, Antichrist, Nymphomaniac?).
We know it's fan service because the series has a history of this, not to mention a majority of scenes involving Lady and Trish in DMC5 are just them being sexualized, in titillating positions for the camera. This isn't an unknown secret, it's evident to anyone who has actually played the game and if you check out the reviews out there, many saw it as abundant enough to actually point out and highlight.

dRc0AK5.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if this is just capcom being cautious and proactive on their end, or if it was direct feedback from sony
there is a chance that you are right, from my understanding (i havent bought DMC5 yet), Capcom censored other parts of the game already by themselves, could be they just dont want to have issues with sony.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, wondering if the JP<->West version differences are a mistake or a sign of Japan pushing back. Plenty of previous evidence that indicated this was a global policy.
I think it's more likely this is a Capcom change that was generally made for the West than a Sony one since it seems other scenes were changed, but only this one was different for Sony.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I didn't get as far as the example as OP but the part with Lady's butt getting obscured by glare got a good laugh out of me (even if it wasn't as clever as the pizza crust from DmC). So it's better that way.

They handed the keys to the kingdom to source filmmaker perverts with those nude model files so if you really wanna see that stuff just wait a few days.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's stupid fanservice that is just there to objectify the female characters. Should have cut both scenes completely from the game.

I have nothing against nudity in games, but when it's done in such a lecherous and creepy way I don't care if they do something to limit the unecessary sexualization.
Especially when these scenes seem so out of place like the one with Lady.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

I'm sure there's a deep reason for showing the ass of a character who looks like the main character's mom for about 2 seconds that totally isn't just to pander to horny men.

/s

This isn't high art dude, it's the devil may cry games: a series where the main character wields motorcycle chainsaws, rides a motorcycle up a tower, and quotes hamlet with a weird bug-man in one of the cheesiest moments in a video game. I hate to break it to you, but there's no greater meaning to this scene but fanservice.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is one of those situations where I have mixed feelings. The censorship glare effect isn't really covering much and seems gratuitous but the fact that it's not covering much and there's not much to leave to the imagination anyway makes it kind of a non-issue, too. I feel like it's silly that it's there as it doesn't really occlude enough detail to feel like full censorship, but it's also just a bare butt so I have a difficult time being concerned.

In any case, I do overall think that Lady and Trish are handled pretty poorly in this game. They're there for the sake of fanservice, both the good and bad kind -- present to account for fan recognition, but then
both get nude tease scenes and Nico just has to commentate on Lady's sex appeal while she's nude and unconscious, then they're pretty much just there the rest of the time

The game is great fun but that is one disappointing aspect I can point to.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Give this a a couple of days and literally no one will be talking about this.

Most of the people whining about "censorship" will still end up buying the game.
Why can't people talk about this censorship and still buy the game? I still bought MK1 with all of Nintendo's censorship because I wanted to play the game and didn't have another console. It was still dumb and deserved to be criticized.

I guess we will see how wide-ranging this policy is from Sony when Cyberpunk comes out. They made it very clear in the gameplay demo that nudity was a part of the game.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
The fact that the PC and Xbox versions are not "censored" might be a mistake from Capcom. I don't see Sony coming to Capcom to tell them "hey can you hide that butt on our version we don't like that one"

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's stupid fanservice that is just there to objectify the female characters. Should have cut both scenes completely from the game.

I have nothing against nudity in games, but when it's done in such a lecherous and creepy way I don't care if they do something to limit the unecessary sexualization.
Especially when these scenes seem so out of place like the one with Lady.
Nailed it. Wish more people in this thread understood this but alas...

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Again, why would their intent matter? They made this scene knowing full well that any of the platform holders could ask them to adjust it to meet their sensibilities if they didn't like it. Putting all the blame on Sony here is misguided when it's more than likely that Capcom adjusted the scene themselves to ensure they would meet Sony's own standards and regulations a la Marvelous with Senran Kagura.

Who are you quoting here? Unless you have an actual example of this, you're pulling things out of your ass.

To your first point: Capcom having to adjust the scene to meet a 3rd party's standard is exactly what I was saying is still seen as an issue. How can you not put the blame when they're the only console doing this right now on a worldwide basis?

To your second point. That is a general message made for the thread, not just you. The minute that shit I said happens, I can already see people not keeping the same energy as in this thread. And that is truly hypocritical of this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.