• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not directly specificed

Two working theories

They kept creating messed up weird shit into reality and things went wrong, and emet is desperately trying to regain the paradise him and his peers fucked up so badly

Theory 2 is that there seems to be some " horrible noise " that may have caused everything to go wrong, I think even y'stola things the ascians didn't bring it upon themselves. There might be a third elder god party that really wanted to fuck hings up.
Sweet, glad I didn't miss something.

Any idea on the Hades question from above? Like, has Emet ever been called Hades before?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I keep going back to why Emet-Selch is such a good villain and I honestly think that the fact that he never, ever lies to you is a big part of it. My man is being earnest and honest at all times and by the time you hit Amaurot you realize that he's honest about his goal and is just as passionate about it as we are saving the... multi-verse, I guess. Manipulation by a lack of manipulation is fun.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they've gone with Hades instead of Zalera. Emet-Selch was the scion of light opposite to Zalera in FF12. Guess Hades was just a cooler Summon that associated with Death? :D

I honestly think that the fact that he never, ever lies to you is a big part of it.

Which also fits the FF12/Ivalice Scion he's based on "Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth".

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they've gone with Hades instead of Zalera. Emet-Selch was the scion of light opposite to Zalera in FF12. Guess Hades was just a cooler Summon that associated with Death? :D

Which also fits the FF12/Ivalice Scion he's based on "Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth".
but given how you beat him, would ether of those work as avatars of darkness? I havent played ff12.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I keep going back to why Emet-Selch is such a good villain and I honestly think that the fact that he never, ever lies to you is a big part of it. My man is being earnest and honest at all times and by the time you hit Amaurot you realize that he's honest about his goal and is just as passionate about it as we are saving the... multi-verse, I guess. Manipulation by a lack of manipulation is fun.

That's a very astute observation. It also reminds me of another villain: Sephiroth. While he did lie, there was this part in the nibelheim where everyone lied to themselves about the events that happened in this town (most of all Cloud) and he was the only one to know and speak the truth. His biggest weapon at that point in time was not his strength or his big ass sword, it was the truth.

It is the same in Shadowbringers, Emet-Selch owns the truth therefore he has power over everyone else. But compared to Sephiroth, Emet-Selch is "weirdly" honorable despite being a genocidal maniac. I still firmly believe that out of loyalty to his old friend, Emet-Selch wanted to give one chance to WoL to know the truth about the Ascians and himself before he gives in to the light. He wanted just one, one single reason to stop his fight (which wouldn't go against Zodiark's will, he cannot act against Zodiark but it doesn't mean he have to do what he does) and when WoL failed his test containing the light, he just gave him a place to rest with a peace of mind. The weight of his actions for millennia also must have played a role in having one last confident before putting his plan in motion to make the great rejoining happen.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also Trivia about Emet-Selch according to the FF Wiki.
"Emet-Selch" in Hebrew means "Your Truth."

So it really fits his Character that he didn't Lie at all, at least i assume he didn't lie to us when we asked about the ascians, wanting to "recruit" us it would make no sense. Wonder how the plot would've gone if we could've contained the Light and Teamed up with Emet for some reason.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
oZKAItD.jpg

Last edited:

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. When he was first introduced as Solus, and his first couple of appearances in ShB my reaction was "Ugh, this guy..."
And then without noticing I realized I really liked his character by the end. He was just such a damn good antagonist.

That godsdamn smile, lol

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Something interesting about Elidibus after talking with a friend is how he was able to create a pocket dimension with time slowed down/stopped during the Chrysalis. With the use of the Creation Magic now possibly explaining his feat and his attack being named "End of Days", I wonder if Elidibus has his own kind of plan.

Because right now he feels like a jabroni right? Emet-Selch is supposedly more powerful than him and was commanding the others right? And then Zenos makes him run away like a rat.

I think time shenanigans might be involved for his master plan. But we also need to know what are his own personal motivations. I feel like the Crystal Tower and G'raha Tia's secrets might play a role later on. But I still wonder how Elidibus is even going to matter or be interesting as a character after Emet-Selch

lol, the frog of light

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
So, one question. I don't know if I'm just dumb or I missed something or it just went over my head, but...

The scene we saw of...someone(?) from House Fortemps rewriting or adding to the Heavensward book. What was that about? Was that from the Black Rose future timeline? Was that the beginning of the 8th calamity? Did I miss something vital, or was it just setting up the stakes of the future we're changing?

Also, god damn the Twinning was fantastic. Was geeking out the entire time.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, one question. I don't know if I'm just dumb or I missed something or it just went over my head, but...

The scene we saw of...someone(?) from House Fortemps rewriting or adding to the Heavensward book. What was that about? Was that from the Black Rose future timeline? Was that the beginning of the 8th calamity? Did I miss something vital, or was it just setting up the stakes of the future we're changing?

That was from the 8th Calamity era. They were looking for the ideal time to try and snag us from, I think.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

It's a scene of the beginning of the 8th Umbral Calamity, from the POV of Count Edmont de Fortemps

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Elidibus, while seemingly lacking in Emet-Selch and Lahabrea's power, has the advantage of being the Ascian diplomat, the persuader, the charismatic schemer. Scions and Ascians alike have wondered where his allegiance lies, and that ambiguity and personable stance has ever been his advantage.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Aw shit I just realized the last boss of Mt Gulg is the singer girl from wayyyy back near the beginning who got "ascended".

I didn't put it together until I did the dungeon a second time, and wondered why her attacks were musical in nature.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
How old do Roegadyns get? The flashback shows a Biggs-looking fella, and in the post-MSQ quests
the voice message left inside the Syrcus Tower was by "Biggs, 18th president of the Garlond Ironworks"
... but it took them 200 years just to pry the door to the tower open.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Aw shit I just realized the last boss of Mt Gulg is the singer girl from wayyyy back near the beginning who got "ascended".

I didn't put it together until I did the dungeon a second time, and wondered why her attacks were musical in nature.
Good catch. I figured it was the sin eater petting the lion in Vauthry's chamber but looking at it now on Youtube the face seems different.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
How old do Roegadyns get? The flashback shows a Biggs-looking fella, and in the post-MSQ quests
the voice message left inside the Syrcus Tower was by "Biggs, 18th president of the Garlond Ironworks"
I don't think there's been anything to suggest Roes live an extraordinarily long time.
Where did you get the bolded info from? Don't remember anything to suggest it was that long. It's my understanding that the only indication of time given was that it took long enough for Cid to pass away from old age, and thus Biggs, who is a few decades younger, succeeded him, although he was probably old at the time the message recorded as well

EDIT: Reddit threads are telling me that the key lies in the phase "18th president", and that this Biggs is not the same Biggs we know, either a descendant or just someone with the same name

Last edited:

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Assuming they keep with usual progression, I wonder what the MSQ boss of 5.3 will be. Unlike HW and SB, this one wrapped up pretty well in the base expansion. Yes, the problem of how to get the Scions back to the Source remains, but there doesn't seem to be a remaining threat until we get back to the war against the empire.

I wonder if we'll confront Elidibus before the next expansion.

As for the revelations in this game, I loved them. I really enjoyed the reveal that our character was the 14th Ascian, and look forward to seeing how that plays out in the future.
My bet is on a Zenos trial.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I misinterpreted awakening as opening in the scene where the Exarch speaks to Urianger:

"After two centuries of labor, their descendants finally succeeded in awakening the tower — an integral part of the process — and in doing so roused its caretaker. Me."

I suppose the original Biggs could still have left that message long before, though 18 presidents sounds like quite a few in that span of time.

The "gun-toting compratriot" in the flashback does speak of the Heavensward chronicles as it's just a story, rather than having been part of it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Biggs in the message identifies himself as the third bearing the name or something.
Sorry, I misinterpreted awakening as opening in the scene where the Exarch speaks to Urianger:

"After two centuries of labor, their descendants finally succeeded in awakening the tower — an integral part of the process — and in doing so roused its caretaker. Me."

I suppose the original Biggs could still have left that message long before, though 18 presidents sounds like quite a few in that span of time.

The "gun-toting compratriot" in the flashback does speak of the Heavensward chronicles as it's just a story, rather than having been part of it.
I some how missed it being Biggs III when I did the quest.

I don't think awakening = opening is a misinterpretation. It's been a while since I did the Crystal Tower raid quests, but it's my understanding that you aren't getting in there without awakening the tower/Tia. I'm pretty sure Tia said something about only him being able to open it up once it's sealed up

That flashback definitely takes place at the beginning of the 8th Umbral Calamity though the POV of Count Edmont de Fortemps (unless there's someone else wearing Edmont's clothes while fucking with his book). Edmont would probably be dead by the time Biggs has a child old enough to be his current age (Google tells me Edmont is 59 and Biggs is 25). I wouldn't read too deeply into that flashback. I'm fairly certain the 8th Umbral Calamity happens sooner rather than later.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that Echo flashback is most definitely from G'raha Tia's point of view. It's him and who-we-assume-is-a-descendant-of-Biggs' searching for the precise moment in time to summon the Warrior of Light from. Hence why the POV has him looking through Edmont's memoirs and then stating that that wouldn't be the right time.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the Warrior of Light still has the power from their fusion with Ardbert or if it was lost after the fight with Emet-Selch. We see him reuniting with his former adventurers in the ending, so he's apparently not part of the Warrior of Light anymore.
PLD job quest and last cutscene pretty much confirm that he is and we're super powerful now.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Emet-Selch is going to be the go-to character people points to for good Villain/Antagonist examples, not just for gaming.

He's everything people have been saying a good Villain/Antagonist should be- On top of being charismatic he has a sympathetic cause that is not unlike that of the Heroes but clearly in opposition because of moral values.

He too is a "Warrior of Darkness" in the sense of what that title means in this story.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Emet-Selch is going to be the go-to character people points to for good Villain/Antagonist examples, not just for gaming.

He's everything people have been saying a good Villain/Antagonist should be- On top of being charismatic he has a sympathetic cause that is not unlike that of the Heroes but clearly in opposition because of moral values.

He too is a "Warrior of Darkness" in the sense of what that title means in this story.
On top of all this, I was just super glad none of the Scions ever questioned their own resolve or said "maybe this guy is right" or anything to that end. It happens so much in these type of scenarios but nope, they understand his plight and are sympathetic to some degree by the end, but never once do they back down.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
On top of all this, I was just super glad none of the Scions ever questioned their own resolve or said "maybe this guy is right" or anything to that end. It happens so much in these type of scenarios but nope, they understand his plight and are sympathetic to some degree by the end, but never once do they back down.
so much this.
i cant get over how refreshing it is to have a story in this kinda of genre where the protagonists can approach their moral justification with actual well reasoned arguments.
Hell its pretty much become Alhpinaud's primary role in the story and hes gotten bloody good at it.

Last edited:

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
3 things.

1 There are more ascians than just those 3 correct? It's just that those 3 are the only ones with their whole souls. I think they mention that the source ascians are ranked higher than a shard one , so that might be why.

2. They finally explained why they have they have the names of scions of light from fxii. They were the good guys of their world. I think those names have been around since 1.0

3. So in one of the trailers there was a part where a magic circle encompasses the entire planet. I actually thought they spoiled a soft rejoining. But unless I missed it, that scene was not in the game.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
3. So in one of the trailers there was a part where a magic circle encompasses the entire planet. I actually thought they spoiled a soft rejoining. But unless I missed it, that scene was not in the game.

This has to do with Eden, the new raid that will be available soon. The magic circle is Eden's summon animation taken straight out of Final Fantasy VIII, but no idea what it'll be about in FFXIV.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feel like the intro to Titania was unfinished?

It's kind of weird with like no music (at the start) and no voiced dialogue. Innocence didn't have this problem and neither did Hades.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
This has to do with Eden, the new raid that will be available soon. The magic circle is Eden's summon animation taken straight out of Final Fantasy VIII, but no idea what it'll be about in FFXIV.

My guess is it'l be something to do with terraforming the 90% of the world that is "light Desert". That didn't get fixed at the end of the MSQ

Frozencool

Oct 26, 2017
I feel so weird about this expansion.

There is so much good about this expansion, yet I can't help but feel like I'm a crazy person when I'm literally staring at something I KNOW I should like but I just don't seem able to.

Is the story good? It's one of, if not THE best FF story in decades. Emet-Selch is a wonderful villain. G'raha Tia deserves a pat on the head and to be given a belly rub. The Scions finally feel like the actual allies and party members the game has been trying to tell you they are. Every side character has something wonderful about them that keeps them memorable. Yet I can't help but dislike the fact that it feels so disconnected to the entire history of the story thus far. Yes, there is a reason we're here on The First and yes they cut over to Gaius and Estinien's Weekend in Garlemard, but I just don't like the fact that despite all the blood, sweat and tears we've shed it really has nothing to do with Eorzea. Sure we prevented the calamity but there's no one in Ul'dah, Doma, or Garlemald who is truly effected by this. Previous expansions had a ripple effect where major victories and losses had things happen across the different cities. By structuring the story as they did I feel like I'm kinda being forced to basically forget Eorzea even matters.

I'm also of two minds about the environments in 5.0. They're bigger and in many ways more fantastic than areas have been in the past, it's clear the team is getting more and more comfortable with the tech they can use now that we're a full expansion away from dropping the PS3. However I just don't like that when I run around these places I'm just running around in "Area from 2.0, but edgy". I really should be liking this, I've always loved being able to see a familiar idea re-done with better tech/different themes, but I just can't shake this weird... anxiety? This odd feeling comes up when I see how much bigger and better the new towns and areas are, that I feel like they're making the older areas look bad in comparison. Kugane was the first city in FF14 to be fully open with no loading screens, yet it feels absolutely tiny and looks like crap compared to the Crystarium now.

I feel legitimately insane when it comes to the music. I can't stop hearing about how Soken has reached new heights, yet I can only count the number of tracks I actually like on one hand and on said hand I think Soken actually did really well on maybe two to three of them. This is really weird for me, as every other expansion has completely crushed it musically. I'm also just not into the regular dungeon boss theme this expansion. They went for something different, which I appreciate, but to me it's the worst dungeon boss theme thus far.

Lastly, a minor thing for me, but while I understand that there's a tone they're going for and also probably story reasons that your character doesn't do a victory cheer when you defeat a boss for the first time it's begun to grate on me. At the very least I thought that maybe the victory cheer would return with the Expert dungeons since I was thinking that they take place after the main scenario, so perhaps with the world having been saved that your character would brighten back up a bit, but you still do that pained sigh every time.

Era, what is wrong with me?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so weird about this expansion.

There is so much good about this expansion, yet I can't help but feel like I'm a crazy person when I'm literally staring at something I KNOW I should like but I just don't seem able to.

Is the story good? It's one of, if not THE best FF story in decades. Emet-Selch is a wonderful villain. G'raha Tia deserves a pat on the head and to be given a belly rub. The Scions finally feel like the actual allies and party members the game has been trying to tell you they are. Every side character has something wonderful about them that keeps them memorable. Yet I can't help but dislike the fact that it feels so disconnected to the entire history of the story thus far. Yes, there is a reason we're here on The First and yes they cut over to Gaius and Estinien's Weekend in Garlemard, but I just don't like the fact that despite all the blood, sweat and tears we've shed it really has nothing to do with Eorzea. Sure we prevented the calamity but there's no one in Ul'dah, Doma, or Garlemald who is truly effected by this. Previous expansions had a ripple effect where major victories and losses had things happen across the different cities. By structuring the story as they did I feel like I'm kinda being forced to basically forget Eorzea even matters.

I'm also of two minds about the environments in 5.0. They're bigger and in many ways more fantastic than areas have been in the past, it's clear the team is getting more and more comfortable with the tech they can use now that we're a full expansion away from dropping the PS3. However I just don't like that when I run around these places I'm just running around in "Area from 2.0, but edgy". I really should be liking this, I've always loved being able to see a familiar idea re-done with better tech/different themes, but I just can't shake this weird... anxiety? This odd feeling comes up when I see how much bigger and better the new towns and areas are, that I feel like they're making the older areas look bad in comparison. Kugane was the first city in FF14 to be fully open with no loading screens, yet it feels absolutely tiny and looks like crap compared to the Crystarium now.

I feel legitimately insane when it comes to the music. I can't stop hearing about how Soken has reached new heights, yet I can only count the number of tracks I actually like on one hand and on said hand I think Soken actually did really well on maybe two to three of them. This is really weird for me, as every other expansion has completely crushed it musically. I'm also just not into the regular dungeon boss theme this expansion. They went for something different, which I appreciate, but to me it's the worst dungeon boss theme thus far.

Lastly, a minor thing for me, but while I understand that there's a tone they're going for and also probably story reasons that your character doesn't do a victory cheer when you defeat a boss for the first time it's begun to grate on me. At the very least I thought that maybe the victory cheer would return with the Expert dungeons since I was thinking that they take place after the main scenario, so perhaps with the world having been saved that your character would brighten back up a bit, but you still do that pained sigh every time.

Era, what is wrong with me?
You have bad taste.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who Tataru was talking about at the end... Unless she just meant Estinien?

The exarch was telling his past self in the source to wake up at the end right?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who Tataru was talking about at the end... Unless she just meant Estinien?

The exarch was telling his past self in the source to wake up at the end right?

She just meant Estinien but since the WoL doesn't know (only the player), she wanted to make it a surprise.

And seemingly that is the implication at the end with the Exarch.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

iirc it also said something to the effect of "third of his name" which would make him at least the grandson of present day Biggs.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just finished the final role quest up myself. It's really interesting, although it ends super abruptly imo

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me which cutscenes hint at the WoL's origins? I vaguely remember something about being part of an Ascian's soul, presumably the 14th Convocation member.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me which cutscenes hint at the WoL's origins? I vaguely remember something about being part of an Ascian's soul, presumably the 14th Convocation member.
Emet-Selch hints at it multiple times, and it's outright confirmed when you present your visiting pass in Amaurot.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I get for skimming through text that's not voiced lol.
To be fair, Amaurotian speech isn't legible in any earthly language so yeah you'd have had to have read the subtitle that confirmed that the color of your soul, Ardbert's, and an ancient Ascian who was a friend to Emet-Selch is one and the same.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's a scene of the beginning of the 8th Umbral Calamity, from the POV of Count Edmont de Fortemps
It wasn't Fortemps.

The Twinning proves that the time travel tech wasn't until many years after and it's heavily insinuated that it was Graha Tia that was reading the book and talking about it.

The Biggs that showed up is like Biggs way down the line descendent according to the logs in Twinning and the time travel tech wasn't even discovered until long after everything was almost broken.

That was probably just Graha and Biggs trying to look up as much info as possible to get a good point in time to pick up WoL.

It was an Echo in the Exarch's room, it'd make no sense to be Fortemps because an Echo is the person you're connecting to

To be fair, Amaurotian speech isn't legible in any earthly language so yeah you'd have had to have read the subtitle that confirmed that the color of your soul, Ardbert's, and an ancient Ascian who was a friend to Emet-Selch is one and the same.
They're going to twist that knife later won't they?

I for one look forward to reabsorbing all the remaining WoL's Elidibus tries to sic after us.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It wasn't Fortemps.

The Twinning proves that the time travel tech wasn't until many years after and it's heavily insinuated that it was Graha Tia that was reading the book and talking about it.

The Biggs that showed up is like Biggs way down the line descendent according to the logs in Twinning and the time travel tech wasn't even discovered until long after everything was almost broken.

That was probably just Graha and Biggs trying to look up as much info as possible to get a good point in time to pick up WoL.

It was an Echo in the Exarch's room, it'd make no sense to be Fortemps because an Echo is the person you're connecting to
Do you happen to remember what quest (or roughly what quest at least) that cutscene was in? I remember that cutscene very differently, and I'd like to go back and look at it