• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Hello! So today a redditor approached the mods over r/fireemblem and gave them permission to post a lot of important, unannounced, info. Thanks to LordKano for compiling all the info available at the time. Here's the original thread

Here's everything we know so far:

- There's a five year timeskip at one point in the game. It's a central and dramatic event.
- They seemingly aren't doing the "making children" stuff again
- There's a new variant of "skinship" (which I believe is the kind of petting minigame there was in Fates) but it's done "much classier" and is more akin to a tea conversation
- The game has very close connections to Genealogy of the Holy War, such as darker storylines and similar characterization. ach noble "house" has access to certain crests + weapons. Weapons are supposed to be linked to the crests of each character. The weapons are wieldable by units who don't have the respective crest, but there are very dire consequences...
- Claude gets a Wyvern in his main promotion
- There are LGBT supports/relationships, moreso with female Byleth than the male version (but there are still some for the male version)
- Lynhart should be bisexual at the very least. He has quite a unique character that delves beyond his sexuality.
- Dimitri's backstory: He is the sole survivor of his family's massacre and suffers greatly because of it. Much of his storyline revolves around this and his battle with his own mental health. His father is actually from the country east of Leicester, beyond the mountains (Almyra, I believe). You get at least two other characters from there. Lorentz dislikes Claude because he technically should be the next leader of Leicester and doesn't believe Claude deserves his position... or something like that. Claude's storyline revolves around his heritage, which kind of separates him from Edelgard's and Dimitri's stories.

- The story overall is a HUGE improvement over Fates/Awakening. The leaker gives it a 9 on a scale to 10, with Fates being a 2.
- You can't get all characters in a single run, but you can recruit at some point some characters from one of the houses you didn't choose.
- The swordswoman in the first trailer's name is Catherine.
- Rhea's advisor is named Setes. We'll also be getting characters named Cyril and Elio(?). And another Monastery worker.
- You do fight students from the routes you didn't pick at one point, and you kill them. [this implies there's, as expected, a war between the three houses at some point]
- "I feel like Three Houses is the opposite of Fates in terms of marketing. The school setting was just a facade for a much darker storyline. And there will be more than three countries involved... "
- There are four story paths in the game, and they don't converge. Edelgard's House has two paths.
- Edelgard is a lot more ruthless than previous female lords.

- There's indeed dating in this game, between the main character and the students/non-students characters.
- Status effects and debuffs are definitely back but I'm unsure about the restore staff. There should be an alternative for it if there isn't one though.
- The story is more akin to Radiant Dawn's, where each chapter is a small part of a greater "part." Part 1 has a heavy focus on the academy, for example, while Part 2 does not.
- The fanservice is more subdued this time around. Dorothea and Manuela are probably the closest you'll get from the characters revealed so far, but even they are quite different from the likes of Camilla or Tharja.
- Dedue was one of the bandits that attacked and killed Dimitri's family. Dimitri kept him as a bodyguard, which is why Dedue "owes him a great debt."
- "The maps are actually pretty subpar from what I've heard. The story and characterization make up for most of them, though."
- "I've never seen the maps. They're just my friends' opinions. They should be more varied than Awakening's at the very least. Definitely better than SoV's

Most info sounds very plausible and exciting.

If there's a mistake please let me know!

Confirmed information so far, huge thanks to Disclaimer for this.

Here's are the parts of Thani's leaks that were subsequently officially confirmed:
  • Rhea's name. Thani leaked it weeks ahead of its official release.
  • Dorothea being a singer.
  • Ferdinand's one-sided rivalry with Edelgard. Leaked four days ahead of his official bio.
  • "Flame" early game villain. Now seemingly confirmed as the "Flame Emperor."
There's also:
  • Lysithea's tragic crest experimentation story. As yet unconfirmed (bio Friday!), but we now know Lysithea bears a crest and her surname Ordelia is a reference to the tragic character Cordelia from Shakespeare's King Lear.
  • Dedue being Dimitri's bodyguard and "owing him a great debt." Leak says Dedue was part of the bandits that killed Dimitri's family, so "owing him a great debt" makes sense.
And for leak comments that were already confirmed by the Famitsu that released the same day (hours earlier):
  • Debuffs. Officially seen as gambit effects.
  • Dorothea's personal skill being passive healing.
  • Canto skill.
  • Ingrid's name.

Edit 2: Leaker got two other names correct.

z_5ce7920eba0a3.jpg

Those names are indeed Catherine and Setes.

image.png.100ec2671ea99439e52bda63e934dfba.png

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
You should probably put "rumor" in the thread, even if they're true, we have no way of knowing right now.
Watch some people get mad there's open spoilers in a spoiler thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, this sounds interesting so far. I have concerns about the overall look of the game but I guess the gameplay will be compelling at the very least.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to believe this is true?

IIRC they have the mods' permission over on reddit, but aside from that 'implication' they're legit, I don't think there's any sort of confirmation, no.

Shame about the maps not being better if true, but I really, really like a lot of the other stuff going on - like actually having to make a choice in killing off non-selected house characters, and/or leaving the school at some point with the time skip.

Hopefully the story being better is actually true, at least.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, I'm kinda bummed about the maps part. I really loved the map design for Fates Conquest.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Maps better than SoV is basically the only direction this could've gone. It's hard to have worse maps than Echoes ... you'd actively have to try your best to make worse maps.

Sure sounds like they really went slightly "BotW" on FE with this game, lots of new stuff, potentially removing less good stuff (*cough*kids*cough*). Adding many ways to keep unit building more flexible and varied. More management, less touching. Looks like they took a good look back on the Jugdral games for this one.

This kinda confirms for me that the next games in line for a remaster/remake should be the two Jugdral ones.

Also, ruthless Empress Edelgard for the win.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
- Claude's backstory: He is the sole survivor of his family's massacre and suffers greatly because of it. Much of his storyline revolves around this and his battle with his own mental health. His father is actually from the country east of Leicester, beyond the mountains (Almyra, I believe). You get at least two other characters from there. Lorentz dislikes Claude because he technically should be the next leader of Leicester and doesn't believe Claude deserves his position... or something like that. Claude's storyline revolves around his heritage, which kind of separates him from Edelgard's and Dimitri's stories.

This bit is conflating Claude and Dimitri's stories. Dimitri's is the one that deals with the massacre of his family; Claude's deals with his heritage.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I am so hyped if they actually made a good story, and it goes the route of a battle between the houses with soem of them dying. Broken up into parts a la Radiant Dawn is even better. Really hope this is real.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus though, if all this is true, I'm hyperventilating from excitement. My dream FE? My dream FE.

I really hope there are male gay pairings besides Linhardt. I'll try to be glad there are any, even though F!Byleth is getting a lot.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This would be insane if true. I hope we get more info that confirms or denies this soon.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
If all of this is true this might become my first FE game. IMO some of it almost sounds way too good to be real so I will remain skeptical until reviews come in.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Reading more on it....The leaker did say their info was pretty old/early on (w/r/t story beats and stuff), but some of the recently released info, such as the calendar system - doesn't necessarily mesh with the leaks they're describing, like the time skip - like, does the calendar system still happen AFTER the time skip, if it's so closely aligned to the war academy?

In other news, the leaker also purports that Edelgard is among the LGBT options, which could be pretty big for IS to shoot for in terms of representation (if true, of course)

edit:

Also there are reportedly 3-4 tiers of classes/promotions, though I'm not clear if that means straight up promotion, or just the 'pool' of possible pathways to promote.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
such as the calendar system - doesn't necessarily mesh with the leaks they're describing, like the time skip - like, does the calendar system still happen AFTER the time skip, if it's so closely aligned to the war academy?

He also says that there's a lot less of the academy in second part, so if the timeskip happens after part 1, it'd make sense.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've only skimmed a few of the high level stuff with the time skip and darker story, but I really want this to be true. It seemed like Three Houses was the perfect setup for this and what I kept saying I wanted to happen, but I am taking this with a huge grain of salt.

MegaMelon

Feb 6, 2018
It sounds great but the rumours are in complete contrast to the marketing so far. And I can't help but wonder if this person simply got a hold of the Famitsu information before release and used that to start what is essentially fanfiction. We'll find out soon enough, I hope it is legit because the darker tone is especially nice sounding.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Unclear if you actually date current "students." There's apparently a five year time skip into more traditional FE warring.
Yeah, this is my hope. Would make a lot more sense and be a lot less problematic and sketchy. Still could be seen a bit off since players know ahead of time and the game likely allows us to build bonds while teacher/student that counts towards romances, but better than the alternative.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unclear if you actually date current "students." There's apparently a five year time skip into more traditional FE warring.
There's a creepy power dynamic in a relationship like this that I can't overlook. Even if there's a timeskip, they're fetishizing the idea of a teacher getting it with their students, even grooming them.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
About the dating stuff ... if, IF, Byleth and the students of the three houses are around the same age* ... i'll be able to deal with it. Byleth seems to be an outlier in the academy's faculty, at least compared to the teachers we've seen so far, Manuela and old 'stache guy. So i hope they are around the age of their students.

*1000 year old something shenanigans don't count.

Also holy shit at the Genealogy of the holy War conections. I'll cry if they remake this game next.

It should be up next, if IS goes after initial release. Then the GBA ones and then the Tellius games.

This, imo, basically confirms the Jugdral games will be the next ones. If true, of course.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
There's a creepy power dynamic in a relationship like this that I can't overlook. Even if there's a timeskip, they're fetishizing the idea of a teacher getting it with their students, even grooming them.

Fair enough. It'll certainly be uncomfortable if not handled well, but I'm hopeful after hearing other plot details.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
All this sounds like complete fanfiction.

It's weird how little we seemingly know about the game. Like what are the actual new battle mechanics? So much attention has been on the new same-looking characters and not on anything interesting mechanically.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Most of this actually sounds really great and much better than the calendar system and some of the other Persona elements that are putting me off a bit.

I did skip of the backstory spoilers, however.
About the dating stuff ... if, IF, Byleth and the students of the three houses are around the same age* ... i'll be able to deal with it. Byleth seems to be an outlier in the academy's faculty, at least compared to the teachers we've seen so far, Manuela and old 'stache guy. So i hope they are around the age of their students.

But I want to pair up the mustache teacher with someone!

Fine, Byleth (male or female) will just get their Daddy. (assuming the MC can choose everyone like Corrin did)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of this sounds way too good to be ture.

If it is true I really hope that the dating takes place after the time skip, cause if not then oof.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
How are the mods in r/fireemblem? Would they even be in a position to know he's legit?

Ain't really a big fan of that subreddit. Well reddit in general.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds incredibly promising and would get me back on board with FE hype. Hope it's true.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Reading the OP again, about the 5 year time skip it could be possible. In the initial E3 trailer from last year the last few lines Edelgard says "I will return here one day my teacher. Promise me that you will not forget me". This could indicate an essential end of act 1 and then a timeskip occurs.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Seems like Part 1 takes place in the academy. I hope we get the timeskip after part 1, imagine seeing everyone older and with, maybe, new portraits. I'd fine with dating mechanics after part 1

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will FE someday ever have a game again with just --one-- good story that I follow as a player instead of this "100 pathes choose your own destiny" simulator stuff? I heavily dislike it, I don't want to roleplay and they keep focusing on roleplaying mechanics and it influences even how the stories are structured.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
If this leak is real, I'm even more hyped than I already am! I am waiting so much for this game.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Some rumormongers understand how to tease properly.

"Confirming" we can kill the other house lords is too much information. Simply knowing we fight them is good enough.

"Confirming" the dating students part is also too much information. Considering everything else revealed I suspect it is supposed to say former students.

Regardless what is mentioned so far is interesting. I'm very curious about their approach on representing different types of sexuality. I'm also wondering how they will handle the weapons crest system. Since weapons get crazy powerful by countering another weapon type I have to wonder how they intend to make choosing weapons supported by a crest or taking the huge penalty in the long run for short term gains fun and rewarding.

When I think of using suboptimal gear I usually think of grinding. Weapons need some form of utility to avoid that feeling IMO.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Reading the OP again, about the 5 year time skip it could be possible. In the initial E3 trailer from last year the last few lines Edelgard says "I will return here one day my teacher. Promise me that you will not forget me". This could indicate an essential end of act 1 and then a timeskip occurs.
Many of us have been assuming/predicting this since the reveal because of that. So it makes a lot of sense and isn't some huge surprise, but it definitely feels too good to be true.
Will FE someday ever have a game again with just --one-- good story that I follow as a player instead of this "100 pathes choose your own destiny" simulator stuff? I heavily dislike it, I don't want to roleplay and they keep focusing on roleplaying mechanics and it influences even how the stories are structured.
As long as they're actually unique I'm OK with it, but if it's largely a lot of recycled maps and stuff it does kind of deflate things knowing you have to play 3-4 different routes to get the full experience.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
All of this sounds fine except dating with students and map being mediocre. Still, just a rumor at the end of day.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're actually unique I'm OK with it, but if it's largely a lot of recycled maps and stuff it does kind of deflate things knowing you have to play 3-4 different routes to get the full experience.
Eh. I don't like either way. Played the 3 Fates games and while the content is new, the third one I was already super tired of the characters and that world. Imagine doing 4 runs like this leak says. And in the end the other two Fates routes barely feel canon because the third one is obviously the intended "real" one. Problem is that I don't like the idea of not having a "canon" route, but I also think this makes the other paths basically useless. Honestly, I just want a FE where I follow a single story.