• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Nah, is not enough.

This is just weird.
The thing is, it's very easy to explain. Fire Emblem has had issues with including older people, or people that don't look like Hollywood stars. This is just the most extreme example of that: ugly women can't exist in the games at all. I know the trope of making your villains ugly is another whole can of worms, but it's still better than this.

To put it simply: they respected the original game enough not to mess up with the garbage map design too much, but they couldn't handle an ugly witch in their game.

Dragons and other mythological elements found in legends (or Game of Thrones) weren't a thing either, yet those are still elements of the middle ages.
Fair enough for the Nuibaba redesign (but yeah, not enough to say it's full of "sexism"), although all characters have been redesigned and look prettier/different from their OG designs with a very 80s vibe.
Legends about magical creatures are, not magical creatures. Fire Emblem doesn't take place in the middle ages, it takes place in a fantasy world inspired by the middle ages. The historical accuracy argument works both ways: if the devs are willing to disregard it when including things like pegasi, they could just as well disregard the rampant sexism of the time. To their credit, they already did it in part (Clair was a knight, IIRC), but they could have gone the extra mile.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Although some things sound great, after having the best level design in the series (Fates), it will be a downer to return to something worse

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
- The story overall is a HUGE improvement over Fates/Awakening. The leaker gives it a 9 on a scale to 10, with Fates being a 2.

This is what I needed to hear. Assuming that which house you select has actual consequences for the story, beyond what units you get to use. The story can be more generic/rehash of what we've seen before, just give some good character interaction and development.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know who is composing the soundtrack? After SoV soundtrack, I want that same composer back.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
How do you know that? I basically always defended the new FE games in this site and basically only had good things to say about Three Houses until the last few months (even said it was my most hyped game).
Couldn't you just not bother to use it? I remember playing through awakening (which was my first FE game)without knowing that dating feature was in the game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I played, but that was a remake and they decided to use the original design because they did not have time to make a new one.

They had the time to make DLC, Mila's Turnwheel mechanic, whole new plot related characters but no time to, at the very least, improve on the original map design? Nah.

Pretty sure no one expected whole new maps ... just some few improvements.

I mean, the only thing Conquest has over SoV are the maps. Everything else Echoes is a great improvement (music, art, story, characters) Even if it's a remake

As this discussion is purely about the maps ... yeah. Though i dislike Celica more than Corrin, they were never this annoying.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me the devs didn't make Lynhart bisexual as part of the Lyn + Reinhardt meme. I kinda wonder if the rumor is fake because it sounds like the kind of thing a FEH player would make up.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
TAs this discussion is purely about the maps ... yeah. Though i dislike Celica more than Corrin, they were never this annoying.
I know what I hate about Celica: those abominable swamp maps. And desert maps too. They still give me nightmare.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
I guess at least we have to wait for Rhea's advisor name drop from official or Linhardt bio for leaker's legitimate isn't it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Fates being a 2/10 story wise from this leaker
concernedfrogesqk78.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The two things that really put this leak on thin ice for me (plausibility wise) are the mechanical implications. Having story stuff linked to mechanical options like crest equipment would be breaking really new ground for the series, and a large timeskip would leave the calendar system with thin justification.
concernedfrogesqk78.png
It's a very generous ranking, I agree.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Would be really dissapointed if they removed one of the most popular features(kids) even if Erabubble thinks they are not that popular.

TBH this whole "leak/rumor" reads more like a wishlist by someone from a certain part of the FE fandom than actual content in a modern FE Game.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
concernedfrogesqk78.png
Too generous. If scores could be given negative numbers, then that's what Fates deserves.

Would be really dissapointed if they removed one of the most popular features(kids) even if Erabubble thinks they are not that popular.

TBH this whole "leak/rumor" reads more like a wishlist by someone from a certain part of the FE fandom than actual content in a modern FE Game.

Ewww, no, remove them. They only made some sense in Awakening. In Fates it was terrible how they implemented the mechanic.

Of course, they could do timeskips to make them grow, but doubt people would be too happy with that.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably not dating at all and just support conversations, at least for the vast majority of them, which were obviously going to be in, but you don't get the internet talking by saying that.

I guess if there's a timeskip though, 5 years would be plenty to have actual relationships start based on your support conversations.
I hope that's the case. But even with the 5 year jump if the relationship is still student and teacher then I'm still opposed to any sort of dating due to the balance of power.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I'm not buying anything till there's a better way to verify the rumors. Especially the bisexual thing, that one sounds way too good for IS to actually do.

The two things that really put this leak on thin ice for me (plausibility wise) are the mechanical implications. Having story stuff linked to mechanical options like crest equipment would be breaking really new ground for the series, and a large timeskip would leave the calendar system with thin justification.

It's a very generous ranking, I agree.

Too generous. If scores could be given negative numbers, then that's what Fates deserves.

I think shitposting on fates should be a dead and banned meme by now. You would think that there are people who enjoy it and are able to call it out on their flaws (hint: there are).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I know what I hate about Celica: those abominable swamp maps. And desert maps too. They still give me nightmare.

Don't remind me. Baffling that someone managed to make poison swamps more annoying than FROM.

Yep.

Though, the character is fine. Despite the flaws, SoV is my favorite still.

How is Celica fine? Honestly, you have EVERYONE in her part tell her to not do stupid things. Her childhood friends from the monastery, her mentor from there, her still alive brother, the enemy that changes sides after she gets rid of the pirate lord, the sage she meets in Rigel.

Yet she still happily goes "Maybe i should sacrifice myself" multiple times. Goes so far to believe the insane, rotting dragon god (who btw. has his dead sisters corpse in his basement, complete with impaled skull and all) and his *absolutely trusty* high priest that just casually looks like the freaking Emperor from Star Wars!

There's JRPG stupid and naive, and there's Celica.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
The exaggeration of how bad Fates was will never cease to be hilarious.
Cause we all need to hear how shitty and ruined Fire emblem is since fateawakening came, and we will never go back to the ™ halycon days of radiant dawn/genealogy being the best games™

People love to forget that there's nuance in judging the strengths/weaknesses of each game every single time.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Unless, like some of us are speculating, the timeskip occurs between Part 1 and Part 2 of the game and the calendar only applies to the academic part, which would be part 1.
Could be, but it's pretty involved. Would be weird to just kill it off halfway into the game, or whenever the timeskip is.
On the LGBT characters:
hjOsDZq.png
Oh, that's... unfortunate. Sigh.

(Not the other LGBT picks, though, that's all good. Edelgard in particular is a nice surprise).

Cause we all need to hear how shitty and ruined Fire emblem is since fateawakening came, and we will never go back to the ™ halycon days of radiant dawn/genealogy being the best games™

People love to forget that there's nuance in judging the strengths/weaknesses of each game every single time.

Conquest did a lot of stuff right, but the Fates story gets every bit of crap it deserves, IMO.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Can we not derail this thread's very specific topic? There's other FE threads for Fates discussion.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
*Groan* @ Sothis being playable. *GROAAAAN* @ her being romanceable (is that the right word?).

Can she please get a mature appearance after the time-skip? It's not hard, IS, you did it with Tiki in Awakening, you know how to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if all lords swing both ways this time. Dorothea isn't *too* surprising either, given that she looks up to Manuela to the point of enlisting in the academy.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Maps being better then Echoes isn't saying much.

I'll at least take specific Battle conditions to win. Hate everything being route/Seize

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not derail this thread's very specific topic? There's other FE threads for Fates discussion.
Fair 'nuff.
*Groan* @ Sothis being playable. *GROAAAAN* @ her being romanceable (is that the right word?).

Can she please get a mature appearance after the time-skip? It's not hard, IS, you did it with Tiki in Awakening, you know how to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if all lords swing both ways this time. Dorothea isn't *too* surprising either, given that she looks up to Manuela to the point of enlisiting in the academy.
That would make sense, but it'd also be kind of a Huge Deal considering two of 'em are dudes. Wonder if they're just playersexual?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I really like so far is that every student, and not only the three main lords, seem to have very deep and extended background.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Teacher dating student is such a gross thing to build your character support system around.

Come on, IntSys. You're better than this.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm not buying anything till there's a better way to verify the rumors. Especially the bisexual thing, that one sounds way too good for IS to actually do.

I think shitposting on fates should be a dead and banned meme by now. You would think that there are people who enjoy it and are able to call it out on their flaws (hint: there are).
Leak says that the game is crap: omg it must be true.
But if it says that the game is great: ehh probably fake

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was my immediate hope after seeing that. Hopefully breaking her out of her mind prison means also breaking her child like curse. Otherwise, fucking yikes, that's so bad it would make me kind of question even supporting a game with that in it.
Maps being better then Echoes isn't saying much.

I'll at least take specific Battle conditions to win. Hate everything being route/Seize
More win varieties would be great. Radiant Dawn is if nothing else really exhilarating due to the number of different scenarios you encounter and having to change up your approach to victory all the time instead of just figuring out a really strong team that steamrolls everything. Survive X Turns, Escape, Defend, etc. There's way more things they can do besides Seize/Route and I hope they've done that here. Especially if there are truly several different Routes which should take on different types of maps and objectives to further differentiate them.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Conquest did a lot of stuff right, but the Fates story gets every bit of crap it deserves, IMO.
It's like....i can like certain things about games while criticising other parts, but still feel that it's a good game? Or is everything split into only good/bad?

Leak says that the game is crap: omg it must be true.
But if it says that the game is great: ehh probably fake
It's moreso that this purposed leaker doesn't have anything to back up their claims. And i'll only believe it when i see it.

eggs_

Jan 10, 2018
I love almost literally everything about this, so I'm worried it's too good to be true. Especially Claude getting a Wyvern and being queer!

I just really hope any romance with students happens after the 5 year time skip, where you'd no longer be teacher and student.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This was my immediate hope after seeing that. Hopefully breaking her out of her mind prison means also breaking her child like curse. Otherwise, fucking yikes, that's so bad it would make me kind of question even supporting a game with that in it.

I just don't pair her up if she doesn't gets an aged up body. Did the same in Awakening with Nowi ... i only learned about Nah from the FE Wiki. ^^