• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm talking more about the reaction from some FE fans and especially the leaker. Part of the fanbase treats these 3 games as the holy grail and pretend everything about Awakening and Fates is bad. The whole "2/10 for Fates story 9/10 for TH" makes it look like the person posting these leaks may be one of these that just need to hear Jugdral/Tellius to say "wow very good".
If we're talking solely about story then it is very very justified if you've played all the mentioned games

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking solely about story then it is very very justified if you've played all the mentioned games
I think Fates story is garbage, Awakening's is good tho.

My problem is that I don't trust too much the Jugdral/Tellius crowd to judge what is a good story or not. I feel like if they only hear Jugdral named once they'll already say it's a good story and/or if there's any edgyness, even if it's distasteful and bad, they'll like it. Good part of this fanbase that hated 3DS Emblem ignores all the big flaws in SoV just because it's based on Gaiden, so it's hard for me to trust them with "the story is good".

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I mean so far all we really have to go on are vaguely similar plot beats and tone.

A lot of the praise so far just sounds like "Dark = good" nonsense.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean so far all we really have to go on are vaguely similar plot beats and tone.

A lot of the praise so far just sounds "Dark = good" nonsense.
Do not you understand that the DARK stories are more MATURE and therefore BETTER? They just need to kill a couple of children, incest and a rape and go into GoT land

/s

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the praise so far just sounds "Dark = good" nonsense.
Yeah, that's it. When people praise FE4 they usually don't say "the story is good because it's well made, structured, has an interesting generational plot, etc". First thing they say is "it has rape, torture and incest".

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stuff here:

qJiOP6j.png

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, that's it. When people praise FE4 they usually don't say "the story is good because it's well made, structured, has an interesting generational plot, etc". First thing they say is "it has rape, torture and incest".

I've never seen anyone mentioning FE4 being good because it has rape, torture and incest. I've been in the FE fandom for quite a while now and FE4 is mostly praised on it's characters, huge maps, surprising plot twists and scope. People do joke about incest all the time but I've literally never seen it being brought up as a positive. Maybe you have but it for sure isn't a common sighting.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen anyone mentioning FE4 being good because it has rape, torture and incest. I've been in the FE fandom for quite a while now and FE4 is mostly praised on it's characters, huge maps, surprising plot twists and scope. People do joke about incest all the time but I've literally never seen it being brought up as a positive. Maybe you have but it for sure isn't a common sighting.
I mean, it's the general "dark medieval fantasy is good because [edgy stuff]". People do it with FE4 as they do with other stuff such as Berserk and Game of Thrones. It's almost impossible to be in the FE fandom without hearing about the torture/rape stuff in FE4 before even playing it as a lot of people think just having "dark stuff" means the story is serious and mature, therefore good.

This isn't a diss at these stories, but more on why I don't trust people's judgement when they lean too hard into worshipping these things, yet focus almost only on "it's dark/mature".

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I think Fates story is garbage, Awakening's is good tho.

My problem is that I don't trust too much the Jugdral/Tellius crowd to judge what is a good story or not. I feel like if they only hear Jugdral named once they'll already say it's a good story and/or if there's any edgyness, even if it's distasteful and bad, they'll like it. Good part of this fanbase that hated 3DS Emblem ignores all the big flaws in SoV just because it's based on Gaiden, so it's hard for me to trust them with "the story is good".
Well right now we're only going off the opinion of one guy, so its all meaningless anyways

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
C'mon, is always discussing the "I wish Fire Emblem returned to have darker and political themes and less magic and dragons"

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Does Nintendo have a history of doing this style of "deceptive" marketing ? So far it's "Fire Emblem school" in the marketing and for the game to really turn into this is potentially exciting
Radiant Dawn pre-launch marketing only acknowledged part 1, Micaiah's chapters, ignoring everything else. A time skip here has been speculated since the first trailed though due to one of Edelgard's lines there. So, that part seems possible,even if these spoilers aren't real.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Dawn pre-launch marketing only acknowledged part 1, Micaiah's chapters, ignoring everything else. A time skip here has been speculated since the first trailed though due to one of Edelgard's lines there. So, that part seems possible,even if these spoilers aren't real.

Nintendo did show off Elincia's story before release, but they did indeed hide Ike's involvement in the game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I mean, it's the general "dark medieval fantasy is good because [edgy stuff]". People do it with FE4 as they do with other stuff such as Berserk and Game of Thrones. It's almost impossible to be in the FE fandom without hearing about the torture/rape stuff in FE4 before even playing it as a lot of people think just having "dark stuff" means the story is serious and mature, therefore good.

This isn't a diss at these stories, but more on why I don't trust people's judgement when they lean too hard into worshipping these things, yet focus almost only on "it's dark/mature".

That's a lot more reasonable and yeah, I agree. However, I don't think someone saying "I think Fates is a 2/10 and 3H is a 9/10" means they're an Radiant/Jugdrall fan that can't judge stories. Fates was probably one of the worst stories I've ever seen in a game. The story being darker and the story being better don't have to be automatically joined together in the OP's mind. Especially as the plot beats the OP said aren't even unusually dark, they're just your standard Fire Emblem political fare.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Does Nintendo have a history of doing this style of "deceptive" marketing ? So far it's "Fire Emblem school" in the marketing and for the game to really turn into this is potentially exciting

Kid Icarus Uprising comes to mind. They just showed the first third of the game before the big twist.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
From the new famitsu info we know one month = one chapter, with a major battle taking place at the end of each month to advance the story.

This could mean the second half (another 12 chapters) takes place after the time skip.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Half the game is a lot, kind of hope Pt 2 is a bit longer. But still I like that the Academy is a sizable chunk all the same as that gives a lot of time to kind of create a mood and connection between the students in a more peaceful time that will make any changes or conflicts that occur after the skip that much more meaningful.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
From the new famitsu info we know one month = one chapter, with a major battle taking at the end of each month to advance the story.

This could mean the second half (another 12 chapters) after the time skip.

ooooo I love this feels very similar to VC2 (which I know gets a mixed reaction but I loved)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If true, these are really exciting news for FE. Worried a bit about the map quality though, but everything else sounds like what I wanted for FE. No kids and a darker story sounds really exciting to me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sounds like a good time to do it yeah!
Probably some massive event at graduation or something lol.
I would assume the opposite given there's a 5 year timeskip. Would be weird to have a major dramatic event at the end of the first year and then just wait 5 years before the next major story beat.

Probably have some "We'll be friends forever" departure with some minor hints at things like Edelgard's lines from the reveal trailer, so that 5 years later when everyone goes to war it's all tragic and sad.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Good story and mediocre maps?

You gotta bring some receipts if you're making incredible claims like those

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correction Conquest maps were great, the other 2 routes had mediocre maps at best
Birthright was pretty mediocre with a mix of bad and good maps. Conquest has mostly good to great maps though with only a few stinkers. Revelations was then mostly a lot of shit. On the whole Fates was pretty all over the place.
ehhh sure, Conquest had the best ones, but I would even say Revelations had better maps than anything in SoV. Birthright was more a beginner one anyways. Im just going to go with the Fates banner

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
SoV maps were trash, everyone loves to bash Fates, but Fates maps were great
Birthright was pretty mediocre with a mix of bad and good maps. Conquest has mostly good to great maps though with only a few stinkers. Revelations was then mostly a lot of shit. On the whole Fates was pretty all over the place.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
From the new famitsu info we know one month = one chapter, with a major battle taking place at the end of each month to advance the story.

This could mean the second half (another 12 chapters) takes place after the time skip.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but is this a Persona like system then? Or are the chapters/months more like the days The World Ends With You where it's just goes until the story progresses.