• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Their biggest issue was objectives. That route relied to heavily on straight forward rout and seize objectives. It was just too one note compounded by how easy it was too begin with and how easy it was too get OP.
See, but having a ton of objectives is separate from map design to me. And Birthright actually had a lot of cool gimmicks in it's maps that varied gameplay even if they had pretty standard objectives

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Birthright maps were awful
At least with SoV, you could just get through with them pretty quickly
Birthrights had reinforcements up the wazoo while being unnecessarily long in a bad way

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Birthrights maps were fine.

It was the objectives that Ruined most of them. There were a decent amount of neat maps in Birthright, just wish it wasn't just route/defeat boss.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
See, but having a ton of objectives is separate from map design to me. And Birthright actually had a lot of cool gimmicks in it's maps that varied gameplay even if they had pretty standard objectives
They kind of go hand in hand. How the map is designed, where enemies are placed, as well as reinforcements are usually directly related to the objective.

Also gimmicks were a huge problem with Fates in general. Moving platforms, windmills, Dragon veins were all pretty horrendous.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Hopefully if this is proven fake people handle it better than the grinch leaks...

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Three Houses Japanese title is Chinese as fuck. Wouldn't be surprised to be honest if KT also bring their historical fiction expertise of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Sengoku era for this. I honestly will be surprised if KT don't helped IS more than just 3D assets, especially so since the historical fiction side of KT have been quiet for a while now. So at least on the story side I don't think it's 'too good to be true', it just our standard have been significantly lowered by Fates in that regard. With KT help IS should be possible to make a decent story at the very least that similar to FE4 (which its remake is inevitably going to happen)

babies will be a new class of throwing weapon

Iknowthatrefence.gif

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed this bit from the supposed leaker...

https://old.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/bovt8v/three_houses_spoiler_thread/enlapsi/
I actually LOVE all the lords in terms of character and design from what I've been told so far. Dimitri's "shadow" actually has to do with the trauma he faces prior to and as the story progresses. He is the sole survivor of his family's massacre and suffers greatly because of it. Much of his storyline revolves around this and his battle with his own mental health. Thank you to my source for telling me this if you're reading this! I thought Dimitri would be my least favorite of the three, but his story is actually just as good as the other two's.

In regards to promotion, he gains swords and authority (the flag icon). No mount from what I recall. He does lose an eye though...

That's not how the weapon system seems to work here though... Everyone has weapon rankings from the beginning. One of the Famitsu shots shows Dimitri raising his sword level even.

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/040-Study.jpg
https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/041-Study.jpg

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed this bit from the supposed leaker...

https://old.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/bovt8v/three_houses_spoiler_thread/enlapsi/

That's not how the weapon system seems to work here though... Everyone has weapon rankings from the beginning. One of the Famitsu shots shows Dimitri raising his sword level even.

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/040-Study.jpg
https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/041-Study.jpg

I think its because everyone starts off with a variety of stuff, but promoted classes are more specialized and have higher ranks and levels

Pretty much everyone is like a freelancer at the start. I think you have to raise certain things to pass a promotion exam to get that promotion iirc

Not that that supports the leak

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think its because everyone starts off with a variety of stuff, but promoted classes are more specialized and have higher ranks and levels

Based on the first Famitsu article even when promoting out of commoner and noble all weapons remain available in all classes (although the new one added some limitations based on characteristics like fists being unavailable to mounted classes). They've only shown the standard classes though, and we haven't seen advanced ones like Paladin yet, but it seems unlikely they'd suddenly cut them if the first promotion out of commoner/noble didn't do it.

Besides, removing swords after two promotions, only to add them back in the final one would be really weird design.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Based on the first Famitsu article even when promoting out of commoner and noble all weapons remain available in all classes (although the new one added some limitations based on characteristics like fists being unavailable to mounted classes). They've only shown the standard classes though, and we haven't seen advanced ones like Paladin yet, but it seems unlikely they'd suddenly cut them if the first promotion out of commoner/noble didn't do it.

Besides, removing swords after two promotions, only to add them back in the final one would be really weird design.
Could mean his promoted class is focused on Authority and Swords.

Anyone can use any weapon but from what we've seen you need to equip that related Skill into one of your 5 Skill slots, but I'm guessing you likely don't need to include the Skills actually utilized by that Class. You get access and use of those for free as part of that class.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
If we're talking solely about story then it is very very justified if you've played all the mentioned games
I think Fates story is garbage, Awakening's is good tho.

My problem is that I don't trust too much the Jugdral/Tellius crowd to judge what is a good story or not. I feel like if they only hear Jugdral named once they'll already say it's a good story and/or if there's any edgyness, even if it's distasteful and bad, they'll like it. Good part of this fanbase that hated 3DS Emblem ignores all the big flaws in SoV just because it's based on Gaiden, so it's hard for me to trust them with "the story is good".
I've never seen anyone mentioning FE4 being good because it has rape, torture and incest. I've been in the FE fandom for quite a while now and FE4 is mostly praised on it's characters, huge maps, surprising plot twists and scope. People do joke about incest all the time but I've literally never seen it being brought up as a positive. Maybe you have but it for sure isn't a common sighting.
That's a lot more reasonable and yeah, I agree. However, I don't think someone saying "I think Fates is a 2/10 and 3H is a 9/10" means they're an Radiant/Jugdrall fan that can't judge stories. Fates was probably one of the worst stories I've ever seen in a game. The story being darker and the story being better don't have to be automatically joined together in the OP's mind. Especially as the plot beats the OP said aren't even unusually dark, they're just your standard Fire Emblem political fare.
To be honest, I've always gotten that vibe from the more hardcore group (e.g. FE and FEH subreddit) that anything from Jugdral/Tellius can't be wrong and fateawakening is bad. My biggest gripe about it is that for every criticism levelled towards the 3ds games (legitimate or not), the same level of critical review isn't applied to those games. For every 10 complaints about fates' plot (which is correct), you don't see anyone talking about how dated Tellius' animations look, nor how dry some of the characterization Jugdral characters receive other than they dead/BBQ jokes.

The thing is, there's legitimate strengths and weaknesses that each of these games process, but the discourse is always skewed against these games instead of discussing what works and what doesn't. And anyone mentioning that "dark stories" are automatically better by default (you can see it from some of the replies here) don't realize that the strength of the series have always been the storytelling/drama that focuses on the characters.
Like the tragedy of the first gen deaths and the triumph of the second gen (FE4), the story of preservance despite your losses (FE7), the chance to correct a future that's ruined (FE13), and the whole downer story of takumi in Conquest (yes. even fates had good character stories).

People don't realize that that has always been the draw of the story and not hur dur darkness politics incest hahaha

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
With the thrope still showing up in kids shows, as early as last year, I would guess that it isn't seen as a big problem in fictional stories in Japan.

Japan has alot of problems they don't think are problems.

It's a problem if they do that in real life (That why it's call Forbidden Love)
But yeah this thrope it's very popular. you can see that in manga.anime and games that on School Setting.

The Last Big one is Kotonoha no Niwa (the garden of words) by Makoto Shinkai.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Much as I'd like it to be real, I'm leaning more toward the leak being the poster's elaborate fan fiction. Going back a couple weeks (and looking at their GameFAQs account) and they're rather convincingly as ignorant as anyone else, but have a suspicious favoritism toward the characters who they've painted to coincidentally be most interesting in the leak.

That said, some of what they allude to can still be true, and some broad strokes are heavily hinted at (which is probably what they based everything on). I mean, the Main Theme's lyrics heavily foreshadow the idyllic academy days would give way to war (duh, Fire Emblem), and the reveal trailer had already led many of us to theorize that a time skip would take place. Edelgard still strikes me as a potentially cold and ruthless figure (again, borne out by the Main Theme's lyrics: "Behind this mask that I have become — My blackened heart — Scorched by flames of force I can't run from"; "I long to stay — Where the light dwells — To guard against the cold — That I know so well"). Dimitri still has his "shadow." (If his family were all dead as a backstory, though, wouldn't he have already inherited his kingdom?)

The one image of evidence that I've been able to find that they're using to "prove" their veracity is pretty dubious, IMO, and the text therein actually contradicts some of the leaker's AMA. (The image's text says "we know all the playable characters already," when they've said there are many yet to see — which again IMO is common sense at this early point.)

It'll be disappointing if I'm right, since I really do love the story ideas they've presented, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than get attached. A lot of it makes sense based on current information, but in such a way that could easily be happenstance.

We'll know within a couple weeks, though, either from the biography of "Setes" or "Lycithea."

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
To be honest, I've always gotten that vibe from the more hardcore group (e.g. FE and FEH subreddit) that anything from Jugdral/Tellius can't be wrong and fateawakening is bad. My biggest gripe about it is that for every criticism levelled towards the 3ds games (legitimate or not), the same level of critical review isn't applied to those games. For every 10 complaints about fates' plot (which is correct), you don't see anyone talking about how dated Tellius' animations look, nor how dry some of the characterization Jugdral characters receive other than they dead/BBQ jokes.

The thing is, there's legitimate strengths and weaknesses that each of these games process, but the discourse is always skewed against these games instead of discussing what works and what doesn't. And anyone mentioning that "dark stories" are automatically better by default (you can see it from some of the replies here) don't realize that the strength of the series have always been the storytelling/drama that focuses on the characters.
Like the tragedy of the first gen deaths and the triumph of the second gen (FE4), the story of preservance despite your losses (FE7), the chance to correct a future that's ruined (FE13), and the whole downer story of takumi in Conquest (yes. even fates had good character stories).

People don't realize that that has always been the draw of the story and not hur dur darkness politics incest hahaha
Well yeah the animations are dated, they're 22 years old
But I think they look great for the time, the games (4/5) in general looks really nice if you ask me
And IDK, I don't think anyone's saying those games are perfect, just that they are the stronger entries in the series for a variety of reasons. Of course each game has it's strength and weaknesses. Like why did Deirdre and sigurd just suddenly get in bed with each other? There is sometimes, a lack of exposition. And the secret items are a pain in the ass for no reason.
But if you're going to sum up people's thoughts who prefer the games to the new ones to "hur dur darkness politics incest hahaha", when evidently, no one has shown that's what matters to them, the problem is on your end

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree with you. People have problems with determining what's good writing and fall too much into the "darkness = maturity = good" trap, which leads to worshipping of a few things and 100% dislike of things they deem as "juvenile".

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Well yeah the animations are dated, they're 22 years old
But I think they look great for the time, the games (4/5) in general looks really nice if you ask me
And IDK, I don't think anyone's saying those games are perfect, just that they are the stronger entries in the series for a variety of reasons. Of course each game has it's strength and weaknesses. Like why did Deirdre and sigurd just suddenly get in bed with each other? There is sometimes, a lack of exposition. And the secret items are a pain in the ass for no reason.
But if you're going to sum up people's thoughts who prefer the games to the new ones to "hur dur darkness politics incest hahaha", when evidently, no one has shown that's what matters to them, the problem is on your end

Thanks for missing the point, but if I really wanted to critic a game fairly i'll let you know.
Instead of consistently saying that "they're objectively the stronger series" as if that's the truth.

Blocky-moving animations aren't the best when you look at similar games of the time (it was very pixelled, but stuff still moved fluently enough. Just look at Halo or even Civilisation if you want to).
And people remembered the characters in FE4 for the tragedy that happened, notsomuch their characterization. No one talks much about Sigurd as a character. Just go and see how many people meme about BBQ jokes instead of discussing about them.
And if you think i'm calling them bad games you're wrong. Just pointing out some of the more negative things I've never seen anyone talk about.

It's perfectly fine to like the older games compared to the newer ones. In fact, I agree that there are many things i'd like to see being implemented!
But if you can't see that places like the FE/FEH subreddit have specific biases and even see that this thread says things like

I wish the story was better, I really do. Awakening was mediocre and Fates was outright awful. SoV was a step in the right direction, but it was still full of sexism.
Sounds like a definite improvement over the post-Tellius games. I'm in if true.
Sounds like back to form. The radiant duology were the last games with a good story
It's a very generous ranking, I agree.
then maybe i'm not the one with the problem?

Yeah, I agree with you. People have problems with determining what's good writing and fall too much into the "darkness = maturity = good" trap, which leads to worshipping of a few things and 100% dislike of things they deem as "juvenile".
To be fair, I have to say that the narrative of FE4 was really good (a great example of the fall from grace and how they were able to build up from there on), but yea. Sadly I hardly see anyone talking about these points.
I don't need a grimdark story where people get screwed repeatedly. Just a strong story that follows good narrative sense.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for missing the point, but if I really wanted to critic a game fairly i'll let you know.
Instead of consistently saying that "they're objectively the stronger series" as if that's the truth.

Blocky-moving animations aren't the best when you look at similar games of the time (it was very pixelled, but stuff still moved fluently enough. Just look at Halo or even Civilisation if you want to).
And people remembered the characters in FE4 for the tragedy that happened, notsomuch their characterization. No one talks much about Sigurd as a character. Just go and see how many people meme about BBQ jokes instead of discussing about them.
And if you think i'm calling them bad games you're wrong. Just pointing out some of the more negative things I've never seen anyone talk about.

It's perfectly fine to like the older games compared to the newer ones. In fact, I agree that there are many things i'd like to see being implemented!
But if you can't see that places like the FE/FEH subreddit have specific biases and even see that this thread says things like

then maybe i'm not the one with the problem?

To be fair, I have to say that the narrative of FE4 was really good (a great example of the fall from grace and how they were able to build up from there on), but yea. Sadly I hardly see anyone talking about these points.
I don't need a grimdark story where people get screwed repeatedly. Just a strong story that follows good narrative sense.
I fully agreed with you that the game has it's negative points already. It's not perfect.
I don't go on Reddit but the posts you quoted are fair as it's well known the recent entries have had very poorly written scripts/stories in the eyes of many
People will make BBQ memes but are you expecting people to be having in depth discussions on why the narrative is so great for a 22 year old game that was only ever released in Japan for a once obscure series? When I see people talking about why they like the games in a serious manner it's not about the "grimdark incest stuff". I love it partly because it made me feel like I was Reading a giant history book on a great or "holy" war and no other game has given such an epic feeling. This is due to Grand maps, a grand story spanning across a long time, great music, a classic artstyle, map based storytelling and so on
Not that that is what fire emblem needs to be, but that's what I enjoyed from it.
And for the record, I don't like lumping awakening in with fates in the writing department. Both in story and character interactions I felt awakening was way way better. Especially script writing.

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017

I sometimes feel the same way. But, to be fair, far more people have played Awakening/Fates than they have Jugdral/Tellius. So there's obviously going to be far more discussion and criticism of those games than there are of the older ones.

I also think the Fire Emblem fandom has done more harm than good by arbitrarily splitting Fire Emblem between the pre-Awakening games and Awakening on. In reality, the departure the 3DS games took from the Tellius games isn't anymore of a dramatic departure than the GBA games to Tellius or the SNES games to the GBA ones. It creates a sense in the fandom that Fire Emblem has taken a greater departure from its roots than it actually has and often in attempting to criticize why this "departure" is bad they'll often inadvertantly criticize aspects of the series that have always existed.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard becomes an armoured unit after the timeskip?

Man if i couldn't be even more on board with the Black Eagles already.

Also sounds like Edelgard gonna get a ton of focus if her path has two choices. Regardless I'm going with Claude first playthrough.

I had the feeling that she's the lord with the most focus ever since the first trailer. Also good for me, we need more *competent* female lords. And i wouldn't call either Corrin or Celica that. Bonus: Corrin also works for a non-competent male lord! ^^

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So how reliable the rumors seem at this point?

On one hand, several Famitsu new details seem to confirm some of the "leaks" (but even so all of the info came more or less at the same time so who knows), but on the other hand it seems a list of what hardcore FE fans want (a game that thakes more from the SNES/GC/Wii games than from the 3DS titles) so it seems too good to be true.

Especially the time-skip thing, I'd love to see a big conflict between the three factions and the ex-classmates killing each other, but considering how big an effort the Monastery thing seems, it seems strange to think that IS created this only for the first half of the game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So how reliable the rumors seem at this point?

On one hand, several Famitsu new details seem to confirm some of the "leaks" (but even so all of the info came more or less at the same time so who knows), but on the other hand it seems a list of what hardcore FE fans want (a game that thakes more from the SNES/GC/Wii games than from the 3DS titles) so it seems too good to be true.

Especially the time-skip thing, I'd love to see a big conflict between the three factions and the ex-classmates killing each other, but considering how big an effort the Monastery thing seems, it seems strange to think that IS created this only for the first half of the game.

Well, there sure is always the risk of this all being fake. But honestly, even the most dense company could've gathered that there's some stuff in Fates that the playerbase didn't want to have again in the next new game.

If it is fake, i do admire the then-to-be-fakers effort. At least he dodged the obvious "fake-bullet" but not saying the maps are the best of all FE games ever. :D

About the academy, i think it's located in the middle of the continent. So if all three realms are at war with each other, it could be seen as an important location to seize and this keeps being more important for the story after the time-skip.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
It's always best to be skeptical of leaks. Especially when a lot of it reads like a wish list. Where exactly is he getting this information? The game is likely done by now but it almost definitely hasn't leaked or gone to reviewers yet. He says he has sources but who? Someone on the development team or marketing? Why would someone who worked on the game describe the maps as "subpar"? And who would be in a position to know all of this information and be willing to leak it to some random redditor and presumably be okay with him leaking it online?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
At least he dodged the obvious "fake-bullet" but not saying the maps are the best of all FE games ever. :D
Yep, but one can think about the "bad maps" and "teacher dating students" details as negative points created to make the leak more beliveable.
About the academy, i think it's located in the middle of the continent. So if all three realms are at war with each other, it could be seen as an important location to seize and this keeps being more important for the story after the time-skip.
This makes sense, but more than the place itself, all the mechanics related to being a teacher (guiding students, calendar time, decisions about how to develop every student's talent...) seem to be a big part of the game. They can obviously make Byleth an Strategist later in the game, and use all the same mechanics as a battle advisor instead of a teacher with no changes at all, but even so it feels like a big change/surprise during the playthrough. But well, we can wait until E3 and see if they decide to reveal lots of into during the three house events or some big trailer, and they confirm if the leaker was right.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's always best to be skeptical of leaks. Especially when a lot of it reads like a wish list. Where exactly is he getting this information? The game is likely done by now but it almost definitely hasn't leaked or gone to reviewers yet. He says he has sources but who? Someone on the development team or marketing? Why would someone who worked on the game describe the maps as "subpar"? And who would be in a position to know all of this information and be willing to leak it to some random redditor and presumably be okay with him leaking it online?
As always, big leaks come from localization or especially testing, so yeah, even if I'm really skeptical about this, if the leaks are real a localization guy/gal or a tester would be open about talking if the map design is good or not with a friend. I mean, we had the entire Ultimate roster leaked (except maybe KKR) a few months before the game came out... and all the leads point at the testers being the leakers there.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It sounds like it would be a playtester. Although the fact that he highlights it was from an early version of the game makes the story more doubtful (since it seems unlikely that an early version of the game would be localized and he seems to have gained this info very recently).

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It sounds like it would be a playtester. Although the fact that he highlights it was from an early version of the game makes the story more doubtful (since it seems unlikely that an early version of the game would be localized and he seems to have gained this info very recently).
Depends on what he means by early version. We don't exactly have details on the delay from the Spring release. When it was decided, why exactly it was delayed, etc. They may have still been working towards the Spring date fairly close to the of 2018 before deciding to delay to July and had playetesters at that point in the game.

I'm still doubtful of it all though. It's mostly all stuff people have been speculating since day one with some fanfic level info to fill in the details and give it some flair. It more likely wish fulfillment based on some educated guesses than it is actual legit info. Could definitely see someone posting this in hopes of stirring up discussion and hype since we haven't had much to go on for a while and a lot of people haven't exactly been thrilled with the school seeing and story potential.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard being armored unit might gives me hope that we will get the first female armor unit that has a decent design

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Kjelle looks ok too. Well, save for the fact that armor knights looked goofy in Awakening from the armor design.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I'm the only one who thinks the overall presentation in this game just looks shoddy.
The textures are blurry and muddy, everything is very jaggy and the maps just look empty.
I don't think it looks very good at all.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sucks that we have at least a week until we can get some kind of evidence for or against these leaks. We'll get Hilda's bio tomorrow on Twitter and Hanneman this weekend. So going by this cadence the earliest we might get the real name for Rhea's assistant, Setes according to Thanibom, is the following weekend. Maybe we'll get lucky and Lysithea will get profiled on the day before on Friday the 24th and confirm some of her background Thanibomb detailed.

I feel I'm the only one who thinks the overall presentation in this game just looks shoddy.
The textures are blurry and muddy, everything is very jaggy and the maps just look empty.
I don't think it looks very good at all.
You are far from the only one. Most have just resigned themselves to the fact as there's really nothing that can be done at this point. It is what it is. Maybe we'll get lucky and there will some minor improvements on release for lighting and aliasing. But right now this is most likely what we're getting on July 26th.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The one piece of notable evidence for the leak is that we know that the leaker knew Rhea's name on April 27 before her name even was even revealed in Japanese.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "school isn't as important as they made it seem" point honestly has me suspicious. Just feels like wish fulfillment for the people against the school setting.

I'm reminded of the people who kept hoping something apocalyptic would happen in Tokyo Mirage Sessions that would make it more like Nocturne and the Idol imagery was an elaborate fake out.

Also I'm still burned from the last leak I believed.