• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I never notice that when you get to Helheim Kratos is actually shaking from the cold just a little. Such fine detail can go unnoticed.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
The first time is Mimir.

The second time is the one we don't see (when Atreus is sick). This is the time some people think was Tyr.

The third time we don't see either, but we fight Baldur around that time, so I think it might have been Baldur so he could hurt Jormungandr.

Remember, the serpent HATE the Aesir he is not willing to help them and I dunno if Baldur knows the tongue. So I think is Tyr or Freya?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it'll end up being Mimir/Kratos/Atreus via time travel. We'll play that portion in 2 or 3 and ask Jormungandr for help with something and it'll also be the point in the game where you return to a familiar land only it's slightly different (weather/sky fucked up because of Atreus).

That is my thinking anyway. I definitely feel we will see the blow first hand and the only way to do that (if they keep the "no cuts" camera) would be if one of our characters do it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, the serpent HATE the Aesir he is not willing to help them and I dunno if Baldur knows the tongue. So I think is Tyr or Freya?
Freya doesn't know how to speak to it either. We're talking about the third time, right? The third time is basically at the end of the game around the Baldur fight, so I think it's possible Baldur called it to provoke it and hurt it. Blowing the horn doesn't necessarily mean he wanted to communicate with it (not like he could anyway).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
J1RJGpN.gif

1qhKDhu.gif

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game woo what a ride, I do wish I left the Valkyrie Queen last as the Boldur fight was so anti-climatic after the fight with the queen. All in all I really enjoyed the game and the Valkyrie fights were my favourite parts.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Freya doesn't know how to speak to it either. We're talking about the third time, right? The third time is basically at the end of the game around the Baldur fight, so I think it's possible Baldur called it to provoke it and hurt it. Blowing the horn doesn't necessarily mean he wanted to communicate with it (not like he could anyway).

Good point, I Think I'm with you, it's Baldur, then. I thought that to summon jormungand it is necessary to speak the lenguaje. Because when you go and try to blow the horn Mimir tell you that isn't a good idea.

And here is a good theory about the one that blows the horn. Is Atreus from the future. Others said is Heimdall and my least favorite because Jormun HATES Thor is well, Thor

The only thing certain is that this game has some deep lore level stuff like souls games. The big and cool difference is that the lore is in the environment of the game and not in the items or weapons so is more approachable.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure It's Baldur blowing the horn. He's seen the water level drop, and isn't scared of confronting snake pal. Modi is another possibility, but I suspect he's more of a trigger in this instance.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my second playthrough and got to the part in Tyr's temple where you need to solve the sand bowl riddle. The clue was about swallowing death and breathing life, or something to that effect. The answer was Earth, but it got me thinking about Atreus giving life to the World Serpent just as Kratos is dying in the painting.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just got to the part where they find the plaque that Odin hid with all the different Gods of War symbols. Not gonna lie, if they actually go for a battle of all the different mythologies I am going to be in heaven. I LOVE that concept so much.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
So I just got to the part where they find the plaque that Odin hid with all the different Gods of War symbols. Not gonna lie, if they actually go for a battle of all the different mythologies I am going to be in heaven. I LOVE that concept so much.

thats not what that is about at all.

They'll probably still do multi mythologies still at one point, cross overs are the hotness right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo I beat the game.

Pretty great game. Great pacing, interesting fighting system albeit a bit flawed on certain points.

But I'm bummed by the ending.
Sure I get what the were going for.

But as Yahtzee pointed it out : you got this whole Baldur fight which was pretty cool and gets you really pumped for the endgame aaaaand it's actually the final boss. Kind of disappointing.

Well with that said the next games are going to be epic
I hope for an Arkham City / Assassin's Creed II situation where the second game pulverizes the first one

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finished it finally. That credit scene was really long!

I first didn't get the significance of the Loki reveal and why it mattered. Had to look it up. Perhaps the reason why I felt underwhelmed by the ending. Guess I live an uneducated and sheltered life, haha.

The next games should be interesting with Thor and Odin...

It's a shame we never do find out how Kratos makes it to the realm after God of War 3 and that cliff.

Edit: Yahtzee's review of this game is spot on and I feel exactly the same way about it.

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I'm bummed by the ending.
Sure I get what the were going for.

But as Yahtzee pointed it out : you got this whole Baldur fight which was pretty cool and gets you really pumped for the endgame aaaaand it's actually the final boss. Kind of disappointing.
I actually don't understand how anyone could expect a stronger boss after that ridiculous final fight with Baldur. With Magni, Modi, and Baldur all put down, Thor popping up at the end was the perfect way to end it and set up/tease the next game, especially with the big reveals about Faye and Atreus being Loki as well. Seeing how they developed Baldur, I expect the same for Thor in the next game, and it will make the fight(s) more meaningful after we get to know Thor better. I think it would have been pure garbage if Thor popped up after Baldur and we killed him too, and it also would have made zero sense for the story and the future of these games since he's the strongest God in this land.

It's a shame we never do find out how Kratos makes it to the realm after God of War 3 and that cliff
You can travel between the two lands by boat, which is confirmed in a treasure map in the game, and in one of the Tyr murals that has him visiting Greece by boat. It's not like Greece and Scandinavia exist on different planets.

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
maaaan what the fuck?

I am going for platinum and my god is nieflheim? mist loop downright horrible. Its tedious, ugly, unrewarding and too grindy for me.

I just need to close the relms in the room. Any way to get some mist nice and easy?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Niflheim so much. One of my favorite realms and I hope it comes back in some way in the next game. Spent hours in there.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
maaaan what the fuck?

I am going for platinum and my god is nieflheim? mist loop downright horrible. Its tedious, ugly, unrewarding and too grindy for me.

I just need to close the relms in the room. Any way to get some mist nice and easy?

I farmed the first room until I had the full armor. Then I started doing the entire place going in a circle and making sure I got the 2 Normal chests each time. It added up quick. I just had.a podcast playing in the background while doing the grind and it went by fast imo. It was the grind in muspelhiem for me that sucked. Lol.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just finished the game, fucking incredible.

Which parts of the end game are worth doing btw? These Valkyrie fights sound cool on paper but are they worth it.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017

Which parts of the end game are worth doing btw? These Valkyrie fights sound cool on paper but are they worth it.
Yea, they're good, but if you're not willing to spend a lot of time on them, wait until you're at a high enough level.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Valkyrie armor set is the most beautiful in the game for me so it was definitely worth doing. I also think it has the best stats for what I wanted my Kratos to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't understand how anyone could expect a stronger boss after that ridiculous final fight with Baldur. With Magni, Modi, and Baldur all put down, Thor popping up at the end was the perfect way to end it and set up/tease the next game, especially with the big reveals about Faye and Atreus being Loki as well. Seeing how they developed Baldur, I expect the same for Thor in the next game, and it will make the fight(s) more meaningful after we get to know Thor better. I think it would have been pure garbage if Thor popped up after Baldur and we killed him too, and it also would have made zero sense for the story and the future of these games since he's the strongest God in this land.

The Baldur fight was pretty as a set piece but :
1°) It was piss easy - especially when you did quite the number of sidequests before.
2°) Compared to all the previous God Of War it felt more like a warm-up fight and less of a final fight. Usually you feel when it's the final boss. Here ? Meh.
3°) C'mon power level arguments for why they didn't include another boss fight ? Really ?

What annoys me a little is that most review outlets described the endgame as something mindblowing and hyped you whereas it was just ok imho.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You can travel between the two lands by boat, which is confirmed in a treasure map in the game, and in one of the Tyr murals that has him visiting Greece by boat. It's not like Greece and Scandinavia exist on different planets.

What are the chances of Kratos revisiting Greece or aspects of the Greek timeline bleeding into this current trilogy?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Baldur fight was pretty as a set piece but :
1°) It was piss easy - especially when you did quite the number of sidequests before.
2°) Compared to all the previous God Of War it felt more like a warm-up fight and less of a final fight. Usually you feel when it's the final boss. Here ? Meh.
3°) C'mon power level arguments for why they didn't include another boss fight ? Really ?

1. Huh? You do realize not everyone shares your experience, right? I've seen plenty of people saying the final fight with Baldur was difficult for them. I'd say Baldur was a more difficult and intense fight than any previous boss in any previous GoW. I can say that about the brutal Valkyries as well. I also think Baldur is a far more interesting character than any previous character in any previous GoW. My first time playing this game was on Challenge mode and now I'm playing through God of War mode. The game only started to feel reasonable for me in these modes when I finally got good gear. I never played Balanced (Normal), so if that's what you played, you could have changed to a harder difficulty at any point in the game right from Settings.

2. Nah.

3. Another boss fight after Baldur? Against who? Another God stronger than Baldur, such as Thor? Odin? Freya? Freya doesn't have her wings yet and we don't really know what she's planning. I suspect she's actually gonna cool off and help Kratos again. Thor shows up at the end of the game but that takes place years after the events in this game. Odin is in Asgard, which we didn't visit. So who did you want to fight after Baldur that would have actually made sense as a final final boss?

What annoys me a little is that most review outlets described the endgame as something mindblowing and hyped you whereas it was just ok imho.
Thor showing up at the end, Faye's secret, and Atreus turning out to be Loki for sure blew my mind. It set up the next game perfectly. I also still had Valkyries and other side stories to do after all that. Just because you thought it was "ok" doesn't mean the reviews that totally disagree with you should go back and change their reviews for you. That is not how opinions work, and it shouldn't annoy you that not everyone agrees with you. Wtf?

What are the chances of Kratos revisiting Greece or aspects of the Greek timeline bleeding into this current trilogy?
I think it would be really cool to see this as long as it makes sense storywise. I think we'll see parts of Greece when Cory tells the story of how Kratos ended up in this land and met Faye, since I guess it would have to show that journey as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Opinions, how do they work ?

1. Huh? You do realize not everyone shares your experience, right?
Right back at you.

I've seen plenty of people saying the final fight with Baldur was difficult for them.
I've seen plenty of people saying the final fight with Baldur was easy for them. See what I did there ?

I'd say Baldur was a more difficult and intense fight than any previous boss in any previous GoW. I can say that about the brutal Valkyries as well.
2. Nah.

I agree Valkyries are way more interesting to fight.

I also think Baldur is a far more interesting character than any previous character in any previous GoW.
Debatable.

1My first time playing this game was on Challenge mode and now I'm playing through God of War mode. The game only started to feel reasonable for me in these modes when I finally got good gear. I never played Balanced (Normal), so if that's what you played, you could have changed to a harder difficulty at any point in the game right from Settings.
Yeah it's the player's fault they didn't enjoy the game.

Talk about an extensive, cohesive and well written opinion.

3. Another boss fight after Baldur? Against who? Another God stronger than Baldur, such as Thor? Odin?
Against who = what am I, the game designer of the game ?
You could have done anything, be it a battle against a stronger god like you seem to really want or against anything else whatever. The point is imho (which I already stated) the final boss felt lacking.

Thor showing up at the end, Faye's secret, and Atreus turning out to be Loki for sure blew my mind. It set up the next game perfectly.
Thor showing up at the end was a cliffanger, and not the most mindblowing at that.
I'll give you that Faye's secret was pretty cool.
Atreus being Loki : ok well we've yet to see how this plays.

Just because you thought it was "ok" doesn't mean the reviews that totally disagree with you should go back and change their reviews for you.
First when have I ever said that they should ? Stop putting words in my mouth.
Second, the reviews hyped me for an awesome endgame. I found the endgame lukewarm. Ergo I was disappointed and annoyed. Is this so hard to comprehend ?

1That is not how opinions work, and it shouldn't annoy you that not everyone agrees with you. Wtf?
Again, right back at you. You're the one who seem triggered that I dared to criticize the endgame. And remember that I actually liked the game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Only problem I have is that ability that makes countering with shield is sooooo good. It's a super useful skill but afaik it's only available on mid-level armor. That should have been a high level gear ability or attached to that final shield you get at the end of the story on GMGoW.

Also the Queen, she has so many one shots!! Geez, am I supposed to reach level 9 to fight her? Is there a level 9?

All the Valkyries have been fun so far so I'll give her a shot, but first impressions. I do not care for her ridiculous damage, Queen or not.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've beaten the game. I've still got some Valkyries to fight but overall I wasn't really blown away. I'll just repost what I said in the OT:

Well, I beat the main story. Honestly, I'm underwhelmed after all the praise and great review scores. I found the story to be mediocre and rather small, something suited for a 7-8 hour game such as TLOU not something 30+ hours. I'll get into that more in the Spoiler thread when I have time, but that's just my most immediate complaint. I also don't particularly find the combat that enjoyable. It's sluggish and lacks the precision of something like Dark Souls. Yes I know everything being compared to Soulsborne is tired but there is a reason why, their combat system is simply amazing. God of War feels clunky in comparison. Whenever I died I didn't feel like it was a result of me playing bad but the game not responding to my controls or simply unfair gameplay systems that are meant to gate the player from certain areas either through certain skills needed or level. This extends to boss battles, I honestly can't think of a single boss battle that felt truly memorable or great. None really challenged me or forced me to change up my tactics. I never got any sense of rush after beating a boss as I do in a Soulsborne game.

Lastly, I found the exploration to be a bit lacking as well. Now, I haven't traveled to the optional realms yet, but I've done most of the stuff in Midgard. And, really the only interesting thing exploration offers is new bits of lore drops and interactions with your son. However, part of exploration should be more than lore drops about a dead world, loot and items should be important as well. Unfortunately, there are no new weapons you can find out in the wild only runes and the occasional armor. Again to bring up Soulsborne, exploration is fun because you can find all sorts of weapons and armor that will completely change the game for you. Perhaps you'll find some crazy Greatsword or a badass Fallen Knight armor set, both of which can totally change your playstyle. Instead, God of War just gives you different runes that have slightly different effects on your weapons. It sort of takes the joy out of exploration when you know there is nothing truly great or unexpected you're going to find. And, it's not like the story of these side quests are that great. Like I said, their strength comes mostly in lore drops and the way Atreus reacts to them. But, the quests themselves are mostly fetch quests with a thin context, "help put my dead men to rest by killing them" sort of thing.

All in all, God of War feels like a giant tease. A good first act into this new world, but leaves you hungry for the real adventure that never actually comes. I'm interested in where they go from here, but I'm not exactly blown away by what I played in this initial outing.

EDIT:

I watched Yahtzee's review of the game and I have to agree with most of his points.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
OBxUkz6.gif

TTPUH6L.gif

One of the best openings to a game, and one of the best boss fights in a game. Period.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been addressed, but it's too hard to scan 200 pages. I have an obvious question, if anybody had found an answer somewhere in the lore.

Unlike in traditional portrayals, Jotunn in GoW are 1000 feet tall. But Faye passed for human for her entire life (and after her death). How was this accomplished, exactly?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm sure this has been addressed, but it's too hard to scan 200 pages. I have an obvious question, if anybody had found an answer somewhere in the lore.

Unlike in traditional portrayals, Jotunn in GoW are 1000 feet tall. But Faye passed for human for her entire life (and after her death). How was this accomplished, exactly?

Theres a line the boy mentions as you're going back into the mine, Giants are race of people, they're not all technically "Giants." Its the scene where you're crouching to get to an area and Kratos says something about the giants and his son makes that comment.

I'm not sure how well that explains it, but the race of giants aren't necessarily all huge.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres a line the boy mentions as you're going back into the mine, Giants are race of people, they're not all technically "Giants." Its the scene where you're crouching to get to an area and Kratos says something about the giants and his son makes that comment.

I'm not sure how well that explains it, but the race of giants aren't necessarily all huge.
Which makes sense with the traditional portrayal of Jotunn in mythology, but it's a little hard to reconcile with what we see in Jotunheim.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Courtesy of FyamKerr :

God_of_War_20180518101056.png

The word on the necklace is Baldr. It is very revealing then from the start the identity of the witch and and her intentions by looking at that necklace. Well shouldn't it be normally Bladur instead of Balmdr? Even on the end game mural it was written Baldur. Unless Baldur is the official name and and Baldr is a nickname how a mother calls her son.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone having trouble going back to the blades after the axe? Sure it was great seeing Kratos's iconic weapons again and they are great crowd control but the axe just feels incredible. I don't need to mention just how good it feels recalling it because everyone is in love with that, but the varied moveset, the feedback of every strike, this is the new icon now.