• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Jk7nr8b.gif

Jesus, never seen that one before. How'd you even manage to stun grab him. I never got that option lol.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bit in the game where Kratos (I think) says that many giants were normal sized. Or it was Atreus. I think it's when you get inside the mountain.

Either way, pay attention :)
It was Atreus, Kratos asked why one of the places were human sized if they were made by Giants and Atreus thought he was joking

From what I understand Giants come in different sizes they're called because of translation shenanigans, they're just a race

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, never seen that one before. How'd you even manage to stun grab him. I never got that option lol.
Woah. Guessing that's the stun grab?
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, there's also another move where he rips the chest piece and slams it into the traveller.
Used the fists to get him into a stunned state.

Finished the game yesterday. What a ride!

One complaint: I thought i was getting into a boss-fight numerous times, but it turned out to be no boss-fight, or a cutscene bossfight that was mostly not-interactive. The game made up for that with all the great other stuff, but still.. a bit disappointing.
I thought the Dragon fight was super archaic and lame.
Sorry fort the downer but it had to be said.

With that out of the way, i can't understand how the hell they made a game THIS good. It's simply amazing and it's HUGE.

Huge compliments for the writers, artists, level designers, directors, etc etc.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Edit: now i can finally enjoy some of the insane SunhiLegend gifs!

I've updated the post with all of them so far, there's quite a bit. XD

https://www.resetera.com/posts/8017496/

Nov 2, 2017
Finished the game last night as well as getting the platinum. Wow, what a ride. I'm glad I got most of the side stuff done before taking on the final portion of the story. That Baldur fight was crazy and I was totally expecting Thor or Odin to show up once you got the Jotunheim portal to work. After thinking about it a bit it's cool that they're regulated to just stories everyone talks about (until he shows up at the house!). I thought their would be DLC dealing with the two realm you don't visit, but upon finding out there won't be any I'm kind of glad. Part 2 of this story will probably be nuts.

Also, that Thor scene featured the same Atreus, but I hope in the second game he will actually be around 16. That Baldur fight convinced me that I want to play as this kid in the next game. Some long range bow combat with him maybe getting the axe at some point would be great. I think a more nimble combat style would be fun compared to the brutal style of Kratos.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a warning for the final boss fight because I was planning to finish the sidequests first

Oh well at least the Valkyrie fights will probably be more bearable (fuck that Valhalla attack)

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Try making a game yourself.

Creating a game is insanely expensive and hard and people shouldn't underestimate it or condescend developers.

lol what? i was just asking a simple question not underestimating it or condescending the developers. I just wanted to know if they talk about the specific technical reasons, no need to for you to overreact.

I wish there was a warning for the final boss fight because I was planning to finish the sidequests first

Oh well at least the Valkyrie fights will probably be more bearable (fuck that Valhalla attack)

Theres is, Mimir pretty much tells you to get yourself ready. I recognized it as the final boss was coming.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol what? i was just asking a simple question not underestimating it or condescending the developers. I just wanted to know if they talk about the specific technical reasons, no need to for you to overreact.
Sorry, I thought you were the person who originally asked about bosses (and appeared to throw a tantrum about there only being 4 in the game).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It explains why there are a lot of pallete swap bosses with little variation

Though at least the Valkyries are different enough even if they look the same

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, there's also another move where he rips the chest piece and slams it into the traveller.

I've updated the post with all of them so far, there's quite a bit. XD

https://www.resetera.com/posts/8017496/
Thank you so much! Saves me time. watched them all. Dear lord, the detail in this game..
And i see i haven't even come close to using all the moves. Wow. I'll never complain about the lack of bossfights again. The amount of work that went into this game is crazy.

You better be making money making quality gifs man. They are on another level.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Valkyries fights are super cool, because they all have variations to their combat.

Sorry, I thought you were the person who originally asked about bosses (and appeared to throw a tantrum about there only being 4 in the game).

Oh no that would not be me, i don't have a problem with the number of bosses. Sure i would like more but im not gonna go crazy because there aren't more.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
The Valkyries are the true bosses (only fought three so far) of the game

I wish next game have more bosses like them and less Troll with a different color and maybe an element

The one in Niflheim was especially tough because it had the whole cursed environment added to the mix. It forced me to leave it alone until i had better equipment for the area.

Last edited:

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Wait a minute... There's, more than one stun grab animation for the Traveller? Holy shit. Gonna be hard getting that stun meter up even with the Guardian Shield, though... but thanks! Definitely gonna keep trying to get that, haha.
(fuck that Valhalla attack)
It's actually not that difficult to deal with once you figure it out. Dodge-roll the second the Valkyrie zips up out of your view. They might do it consecutively, so keep dodge-rolling if you see the threat indicator. If you don't see the arrow, then that means they're open for an attack.

It's still a bitch of an attack when it does get you, though.

Nov 2, 2017
The one in Niflheim was especially tough because it had the whole cursed environment added to the mix. It forced me to leave it alone until i had better equipment for the area.

That Valkyrie fight along with that whole realm changed how I approached combat. My first few attempts I would try to watch for attack patterns then counter, but with the time constraint I had to choose skills with a moderate cooldown, but still good damage. Got aggressive by front loading all skills then dodge what I could then go at them again. I also had to learn to not be afraid to pop rage a bit early. Any damage you get just drains the rage bar faster. If things went south a berserker resurrection stone usually helped me finish them off.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Mimir needs a body first. Heck, imagine him getting Kratos body or even Thor's.

Something Mimir said at the end implies the dwarves are going to make him a mechanical body.

At the end, when Kratos and Atreus are returning from spreading the ashes, they see head Mimir laying there alone. Mimir says something like "They took an uncomfortable number of measurements"

I thought that implied they had an idea to make a new body for him, got excited, and ran off to start working on it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Surtr destroy Asgard is going to be the most epic shit ever.
I do wonder how much will come true or how much will fate be broken

(Could be artistic liberties)Like I heard Magni and Modi were supposed to survive Ragnarok and in the game Modi was surprised that Kratos was able to

Plus with Odin trying to stop it and Kratos thinking fate is bullshit

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I never once got the option, and I used my fists on them all the time! XD
I use Atreus' stun arrows a lot, pretty much spam that plus the fists when I want to stun grab an enemy. :D
Thank you so much! Saves me time. watched them all. Dear lord, the detail in this game..
And i see i haven't even come close to using all the moves. Wow. I'll never complain about the lack of bossfights again. The amount of work that went into this game is crazy.

You better be making money making quality gifs man. They are on another level.
Thanks! Must have taken a while to watch them all XD.
Yeah there's a lot to this game which is all so well done. It makes me want to see and try everything I can such as all the different moves, locations, enemy types, animations etc. It's why it takes me a while to complete my first or in this case second playthrough, Bloodborne took me over 100 hours to complete, same with Horizon. XD

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I finally beat final Valkyrie.

Then my buddy played new game to try it out. Annnnd, I didn't manual save.

I'll never learn

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Must have taken a while to watch them all XD.
Yeah there's a lot to this game which is all so well done. It makes me want to see and try everything I can such as all the different moves, locations, enemy types, animations etc. It's why it takes me a while to complete my first or in this case second playthrough, Bloodborne took me over 100 hours to complete, same with Horizon. XD
Wow, haha. Well all that results the most amazing gifs. So it's all good :))

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's really cool watching the videos that have been posted and seeing all the foreshadowing. I don't know anything about Norse mythology at all, I went in knowing that Odin is the head god and Thor's father, that Thor has a hammer, and that Baldur is the name of a god, which I only knew because it was the main character's name in Too Human, which I never actually played. I guess I also knew that Loki is the god of mischief, but that doesn't have much bearing until the end.

It's crazy how much of the story you can foretell by knowing the myths, the mistletoe thing in particular is almost shocking in how blatant it is if you know the stories.

I'm curious to learn more now, are there any cool books on Norse mythology? Or am I best off just digging through Wikipedia? I don't mind paying for a book that presents the stories in a more interesting way than a bunch of encyclopedia pages.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Not a pain at all. You could hear them quite clearly especially if you're wearing headphones. Also, the map shows you which regions have ravens you haven't found.
All the ones I was missing were ones that sat still in some corner of the map that don't make noises. SSM fucked up with those otherwise I would've gotten them all without a guide. They are also bugged because there were a few I came across where throwing my axe didn't kill them, it just made a noise like I was throwing my axe at the environment.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ragnarok got a lot of hype in this game, I can see the sequel starting just as Ragnarok is about to hit and it'll involve the Norns, who are sort of like the sisters of fate, and Kratos and Atreus trying and failing to change their future.

Then the third game can be full on Ragnarok.

It's really cool watching the videos that have been posted and seeing all the foreshadowing. I don't know anything about Norse mythology at all, I went in knowing that Odin is the head god and Thor's father, that Thor has a hammer, and that Baldur is the name of a god, which I only knew because it was the main character's name in Too Human, which I never actually played. I guess I also knew that Loki is the god of mischief, but that doesn't have much bearing until the end.

It's crazy how much of the story you can foretell by knowing the myths, the mistletoe thing in particular is almost shocking in how blatant it is if you know the stories.

I'm curious to learn more now, are there any cool books on Norse mythology? Or am I best off just digging through Wikipedia? I don't mind paying for a book that presents the stories in a more interesting way than a bunch of encyclopedia pages.

Norse.jpg

That's what I bought before God of War, hugely useful.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
GoW also introduced me to Norse. I read Gaiman's Norse mythology after beating God of War. Such a great read. Now I'm hooked. Love it more than Greek mythology

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Watching Surtr destroy Asgard is going to be the most epic shit ever.

Most likely the third game, since that's when Ragnarök will likely happen. I hope his design lives up to the hype.

Exactly. And this what I kept saying too. I also hope he is big enough and will be as big as a titan and not like the Jotnar who are just a bigger than the Colossus but not nearly as close to the titans of GOW3. I hope he will be an ally too like the serpent, so we can ride his shoulder or walk on him like Gaia.

jpd1408

Feb 22, 2018
Still my game of the generation. When i got the blades i almost cried in excitement. Man this game is soooo damn good.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to catch up to 200 pages but just finished the game and what a ride, holy shit.

Has it been discussed why Atreus got like possessed when he learned he was a god and started acting all rebellious and stuff? I found it kind of hard to swallow, like too abrupt a change to his personality...

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Has it been discussed why Atreus got like possessed when he learned he was a god and started acting all rebellious and stuff? I found it kind of hard to swallow, like too abrupt a change to his personality...
There's a bit of debate on this. Some believe it was simply Atreus allowing his godhood to get to his head, so to speak, while others suspect a split personality of sorts due to the Loki revelation. Another theory is that the Black Rune did something to him since it was only after absorbing it that he started acting different.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The world serpent is a lot weaker than he used to be right considering he was knocked out by Baldur in three (likely powerful hits) when he's supposed to be strong enough to fight Thor on even grounds

Oct 27, 2017
There's a bit of debate on this. Some believe it was simply Atreus allowing his godhood to get to his head, so to speak, while others suspect a split personality of sorts due to the Loki revelation. Another theory is that the Black Rune did something to him since it was only after absorbing it that he started acting different.
Kids that age can act like that too, and it comes and goes in real life just like in the game. Mine does occasionally.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the queen Valkyrie last night and it's by far the toughest boss in the game, took me about 3/4 hours and i even had to use a resurrection stone something that i never really used that much throughout the game.

Got the platinum and went home to see the last cutscene, oh shit i guess Thor means business.

That Valkyrie fight along with that whole realm changed how I approached combat. My first few attempts I would try to watch for attack patterns then counter, but with the time constraint I had to choose skills with a moderate cooldown, but still good damage. Got aggressive by front loading all skills then dodge what I could then go at them again. I also had to learn to not be afraid to pop rage a bit early. Any damage you get just drains the rage bar faster. If things went south a berserker resurrection stone usually helped me finish them off.

I pretty much decided to ignored the fight at first since i would only have about half the cursed meter when i reach him and instead focused on farming the mist echoes to close the realm tears and get better equipment, so when i came back fully equiped it was a lot easier to manage. Also im a lot agressive in combat so this type of battle was more in my combat style.