• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you able to continue exploring after seeing the actual ending and credits with Thor?

I actually won't, because I really dislike two things that they changed in the game world after the end credits:
1) My buddy Jörmungandr is gone from the lake. I really loved him chilling in the background.
2) I don't like the much colder and more desolate vibe of the world after the winter set in. I really liked the bright, blue and cloudy sky as it was before.

So I am probably going to wait until photo mode drops, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, and then I am starting the game again. This time I won't finish the story before exploring all of the world in it's much nicer state.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, in that IGN spoilercast Cory confirms that she can look into the future, and the vision/dream with Thor was Atreus having that talent, too.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly my friend. I kept saying this many times too. Kratos is never ashamed of his true Greek origins and he always wore the red Greek skirt and he is even depicted wearing it when fighting Baldur on the mural. This dead person look much older and has a green Norse skirt. and I join my voice to another person on this thread talking about how this may be the real Norse Farbauti but Kratos came before Fey knowing him which caused a time paradox when Kratos married her instead.
So the one in that mural is the real norse Farbauti with the real Loki from the alternate future timeline from where the snake came and the other mural showing Kratos who was called the current Farbauti is the current timeline. This may lead that the current Atreus isn't the real Loki but instead just Atreus, a half Spartan (hence him trying to use his Spartan Rage, don't overlook this, this may come in handy in the next games) and that he was going to be called Loki by his mother (as the normal prophecy of the normal flow of events normally predict) but Kratos came in instead and interrupted that and is now officially calling him Atreus instead and gave birth to a half Spartan instead.
This may be insane if true.
And again I repeat this. The current Atreus won't be able to give birth to the snake, due to the reasons I mentioned. We won't have 2 snakes in one timeline that is why they brought the snake from the alternate future timeline to this present timeline. You get my point right?

Yeah I get your point but what about "The Sickness"? I'm 100% sure it will play a big part in the future.

They said that the Serpent just appeared out of nowhere and the writing that says "Sacrifice your arms to the centre of the water; Awaken again the cradle of the world" was written by Faye(Yellow writings)

And how did Faye tell Atreus that the Serpent is friendly if Atreus gives birth to the Serpent in the future? Mimir said that the Serpent traveled back in time to before his birth which Kratos didn't believe lol.

Jan 10, 2018
Already posted ?

With Barlog

Really interesting video, but the girl is really the only one that brings any discussion to the table. She has actual questions and curiosities about unanswered things in the game, unlike the other two guys who only acknowledges things that we know and focus on telling Cory that they love this and that. It's the same problem as with the Easy Allies video where it's almost a big circle jerk around the developer. And why wouldn't they read viewer questions for these segments? Wasted opportunity, considering that the "journalists" cannot ask the proper questions. It is good though that Cory is so talkative because he manages to explain things himself without any good questions.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting video, but the girl is really the only one that brings any discussion to the table. She has actual questions and curiosities about unanswered things in the game, unlike the other two guys who only acknowledges things that we know and focus on telling Cory that they love this and that. It's the same problem as with the Easy Allies video where it's almost a big circle jerk around the developer. And why wouldn't they read viewer questions for these segments? Wasted opportunity, considering that the "journalists" cannot ask the proper questions. It is good though that Cory is so talkative because he manages to explain things himself without any good questions.

I mean I doubt he will answer things that would be future spoilers.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't agree more. So many interesting questions could've been asked.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Just wanted to stop by with some thoughts after finishing the story (still plan on finishing side content as well).

Loved the game.

I've always had a soft spot for Kratos, despite also acknowledging that he was a bit absurd as a character - video game vengeance gone nuclear. To see him humanized here, while still acknowledging his insane past, was fantastic to experience.

Narratively this is likely my favorite game since TLOU, and the boat scene return to the blades of chaos will go down as one my favorite gaming moments ever.

That being said, I don't think it was quite as successful emotively, narratively, as TLOU was - but that's an incredibly high standard in this medium. (You could also argue it was impossible to match given the current starting point with Kratos' character arc)

Still, it's the closest thing too, and its bolstered by probably my favorite action combat of all time. The combat in this game makes soulsborne look a tad rough, and that is immense praise.

To me this is easily the best PS4 exclusive, and perhaps even better than BOTW as an overall experience for this generation as a whole, although I'll need some time in the rear view to know that for sure.

Congrats to SSM - now to grind mist echoes in Nilfheim

This is how I feel as well. I didn't trust reviewers when some said the story and characters were as good as in Tlou. Unfortunately, I was right.

However, this game is a masterpiece and I like its combat even more than the combat in Bloodborne. Exploring the world is also really fun as it should be in every game.

Jan 10, 2018
I mean I doubt he will answer things that would be future spoilers.

Of course I mean questions about the events of this particular game. There are many interesting things that you could have him expand upon to give more meaning to the game, as he already shows in the video when he talks about Faye for instance. I for one would like to know their thought process behind having Baldur as the main villain because I think that it surprised a lot of people that he played such a big role. It would also be nice to hear about the world design and why they felt that a "hub area" was the best option.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, do you really wanna know the answers instead of playing the sequel?

It's weird, same people that are constanly asking for spoilers on Game of Thrones or some other hot shit.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really prefer if the next game concludes the Norse story with Kratos, Loki, Thor, Odin, and ragananrok. The 3rd entry in most trilogies never is the best one minus a few expections like Jak 3.

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
How did atreus talked to Jörmundandr during the battle with baldur? I thought only mimir could understand that strange language

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
Are there additional post game dialogues between the characters? I Completed the side missions and there's nothing left to do apart collecting collectibles and defeating the valkiries

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How did atreus talked to Jörmundandr during the battle with baldur? I thought only mimir could understand that strange language
Either it's the language he absorbed from Tyr's rune, or it's Loki shenanigans

That's something that I've thought about myself. The third instalment is usually when the developer runs out of ideas and things are changing for the sake of changing.
I don't think that's an issue if they already have the story mapped out

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wished there was a NG+ letting us play with the blades from the start. And I also wished there are more weapons. Damn those subweapon BS leaks.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm talking about the main ending though (first time credits roll after scattering ashes). Yes, it's an ending, but for me it's not good enough, like at all. If you guys like walking to a portal as your ending, you do you. I expect more though.
How would you have it end?

To me that was one of the most satisfying endings possible, and if you paid enough attention throughout the game, got all kinds of answers. Questions were left open yes, but very intentionally so to create a sense of intrigue for a sequel.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
How would you have it end?

To me that was one of the most satisfying endings possible, and if you paid enough attention throughout the game, got all kinds of answers. Questions were left open yes, but very intentionally so to create a sense of intrigue for a sequel.

Besides the answers you get throughout the game, there's also the answers you get exploring it after the end. I thought it was great. I'm still fighting the Valkyries, five to go, and I'm still getting new info through these side activities.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So did we learn how Kratos came to Midgard? Especially as Midgard is a mythical place tied to the world tree right? Separate from the world that Sparta was in. And why would he go to a place specifically inhabited by Gods and immortal beings?
What happened to the world that Kratos left in ruins - was Midgard effected?
Not addressing his daughter / skin seemed a bit of a letdown
How did he seemingly travel in time, or did he just wait it out?
Is Kratos immortal? Is he actually a God? I thought he lost his powers. Why does he age?

I guess these can be left for sequel

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
So did we learn how Kratos came to Midgard? Especially as Midgard is a mythical place tied to the world tree right? Separate from the world that Sparta was in. And why would he go to a place specifically inhabited by Gods and immortal beings?
Is Kratos immortal? Is he actually a God? I thought he lost his powers. Why does he age?

- Midgard is earth. Kratos simply walked from Greece to Norse lands.
- Kratos destroy Olympus and surrounding place, not whole earth
- Why would he travel in time?
- He's immortal yes. Cursed to wonder on earth forever.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Midgard is earth. It's not really fully explained, but I think the gist of it is that the various pantheons coexist they just cover different spheres of influence. They are aware of each other but do not interact too much.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You guys realize that Ragnarok is the end of the world lol? So if GoW ends with Ragnarok...!

My only knowledge is from the Ragnarok movie which specifically targeted it towards Asgard only. If that is the case in the game as well, I'm sure it's gonna be A-OK :p

Based on this game, all the Asgardian Gods are complete and total dicks so it'll make sense that they get what's coming to them and Kratos and Loki/Atreus are somehow the catalyst for it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Midgard is earth. It's not really fully explained, but I think the gist of it is that the various pantheons coexist they just cover different spheres of influence. They are aware of each other but do not interact too much.
Mimir clearly knew who Zeus was and Freya had a kind of "oh, great" sigh to Kratos saying he's been to another land of the dead

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
- Midgard is earth. Kratos simply walked from Greece to Norse lands.
- Kratos destroy Olympus and surrounding place, not whole earth
- Why would he travel in time?
- He's immortal yes. Cursed to wonder on earth forever.
- So Midgard is the whole of Earth or just the Norse lands?
- Because Greek Mythology was from around 2000 BC - 600 BC and Norse Mythology is from the Viking era around 750 AD - 1050 AD. I guess its probably best just to ignore that, especially if they want to overlap Egypt at some point
- Why does he age then! >:- [

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
- Because Greek Mythology was from around 2000 BC - 600 BC and Norse Mythology is from the Viking era around 750 AD - 1050 AD. I guess its probably best just to ignore that, especially if they want to overlap Egypt at some point
Being immortal doesn't mean you can't age

Oct 27, 2017
-Just think of Midgard and Greece (and other mythologies) as different countries and their respective pantheons as different governments with different laws, etc.
-Being immortal doesn't mean you can't age, it just means you can't die of old age.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only knowledge is from the Ragnarok movie which specifically targeted it towards Asgard only. If that is the case in the game as well, I'm sure it's gonna be A-OK :p

Based on this game, all the Asgardian Gods are complete and total dicks so it'll make sense that they get what's coming to them and Kratos and Loki/Atreus are somehow the catalyst for it.
I hope they're a bit less 1 dimensional than the Greek Gods. Thor should be a big jock dumbass and most of the gods should be a bit on the sneaky side. Baldur was a great start, and Freya was always the nice one in the myths so they nailed her.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Also the fact that the blades were forged in the fires of Hades and thus aren't affected by "no fire in the nine realms can burn here" Helheim present it as different spheres of influence where Greek magic and Hades are different from Norse magic, the nine realms, and Hel

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Also if he is immortal, how can he die in the game :P?
Maybe Kratos was indeed imortal, wondered around the earth and then met Faye and somehow lost his immortality.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Kratos was indeed imortal, wondered around the earth and then met Faye and somehow lost his immortality.

I mean .. that's like saying how Dante can die in DMC when in the intro Trish shoves a sword through his chest and through out the game's cinematics he's basically skewered like a sheesh kabob but inside the game you take two hits and its' game over.

I think Kratos only has natural immortality, not like Balder where he's immune to all damage. He still takes damage, gets hurt, fatigued etc. But he has "godly" recovery. If he gets decapitated, of course there's no coming back from that.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed some kind soul fixed the craters and ravines caused in the Stranger fight when you go home at the end of the game. That was nice of them

Oct 27, 2017
Immortality, as it seems to be presented in this franchise, seems to mean impossible to die from old age or mortals. Only gods can kill other gods, it seems.

Also, in the norse myths, the gods are not naturally immortal, they periodically eat golden apples from Idunn, a goddess of youth (I think is the official title), that keeps them young, if they lose access to it they start to revert to their actual age.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What am I missing here? How would Loki become the world serpent if the serpent is already there? Was there something with time travel that went right over my head?

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
After the very first boss fight, you can see how all his wounds heals. He can be beaten to shit, but always heals after it. Gameplay wise he can die simply because it would take all the challenge away if he cannot.

- Midgard is simply region on earth.
- since he's immortal he just waited it out. That also explains why he has totally different character here. More than thousand years would change everyone.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also - does the Tyr story continue anywhere after the credits? Or is that something for the sequels?

Very interested how he connects with Ares

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Loki is world serpent's father. Mimir said serpent fought with Thor and was punched so hard he travelled back in time.
Their fight was so powerful it broke the World Tree and sent the serpent through time before its birth. Thor arrived and tried to fight it but failed, starting the bitter rivalry that will conclude at Ragnarok