• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU WANT TO AVOID POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR AN UNANNOUNCED FIGHTER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

As many people already know, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is set to receive five brand-new downloadable fighters through the a paid Season Pass known as the 'Fighters Pass'. The first of these fighters (Joker from Persona 5) was already revealed last during The Game Awards 2018, but the other four fighters have not been officially revealed. However, recent data-mining may have given us the identity of one of the four unannounced fighters.

According to a reliable data-miner on Twitter, jam1garner, three code-names for upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC characters have been discovered within the game's data:

The three code-names are:
  • "Packun": refers to Piranha Plant, whose Japanese name is "Packun Flower".
  • "Jack"; likely refers to Joker.
  • "Brave"; definitely refers to a currently unannounced fighter.
While nothing is officially confirmed, it is currently speculated that the code-name "Brave" refers to...
...a Dragon Quest hero, likely Erdrick (the hero of Dragon Quest III). The "Hero" class in Dragon Quest is referred to as 勇者 (Yusha) in Japan, which directly translates to "Brave" (credits to Ryce for this info).

EDIT: New data-mined information about Piranha Plant, Joker and the second Fighters Pass character has been shared with us. Basic parameters have been found within the game, giving us a better idea about the character's basic attributes.

To summarise the Twitter thread:
  • Joker is a fairly light character (with the same weight as Peach and Daisy); "Brave" is around as heavy as Cloud.
  • Joker's run-speed is fairly fast (between Mewtwo, Charizard and Ridley); "Brave" is around as fast as Young Link.
  • Joker can Wall-Jump and has a rapid jab; "Brave" has neither of these two abilities.
It has also been confirmed that the data for "Brave" was added in the Day One patch (1.1.0) while Piranha Plant and Joker were always present in the base game. This may imply that "Brave" is earlier in development than the other two DLC characters.

EDIT 2: Cleaned up the OP a bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That rumor gets more and more credibility.

Best part is this further confirms Persona on Switch

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Whoops; I misspelled the title in a rush to get this thread out. If this thread doesn't get closed in favor of the other one, can a mod please fix that?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Jack from Mad World

And Square's JRPG legend, Brave....ly Default
LPersbK.jpg

Really though, I'm cool with DQ guy but no more JRPG characters after this PLEASE

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is like the last of the biggest Japanese IP to not have a representation in Smash, it would make sense.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first two DLC character both being from JRPG is disappointing. Hopefully the other three come from different genres.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
the composer guy is a monster and deserves all the worst, but DQ is a franchise that absolutely deserves to be in smash

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So Jack is Joker? What's the connection there?

Really hoping no DQ since I have no attachment to the series, the music selection would likely suck, and a bigot would get money out of it

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest as the Square rep huh, go figure.

Here's hoping for the music to not be midis.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A character from Bravely Default would have been more interesting. The game would have gotten the kickass music from that series as well.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then the rumors were true. Damn. Well, hopefully we get a chrono color swap... And some squeenix costumes back.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
We better not fucking get another FE character now.

Jan 9, 2018
So just about what everyone was starting to expect. We'll see if that's what Brave really is referring to soon enough lol.

Can't say I'm too excited about Nintendo continuing to work with Square on this, they've been stingy with FF rep in Ultimate as it is and getting stuff from DQ could prove to be even more. It's going to be irritating if a character pack only comes with two DQ songs lmao. Maybe they'll fill it up with songs from like Octopath and Bravely Default.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
A DQ Rep is long overdue with how insanely popular that series is in Japan and how historic it is to the entire industry.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I hope by the time Smash DLC is finished there's at least one character I'm excited for, so far I haven't cared about any of the newcomers.

Thankfully I never played 4, so there's a bunch of new-to-me-comers in Ultimate.