• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, there's little evidence backing up anyone beyond Erdrick (and even he's mostly an educated guess based on datamined codenames & previous rumors). Steve in Smash wouldn't really be my cup of tea, but I've since grown to not hate him as much (but as I said before, it has more to do with most of my own dreams being snapped out of existence).

Boy, isn't this how I feel? With all these rumors and speculation, I've pretty much realized there's zero chance of any character I care about or want being featured in Smash. The Belmonts were the end of the line, basically.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stand Steve but people aren't wrong that he hits all the checkmarks. I do like Minecraft so least a stage would be cool to me.

Fortnite though uhhhh, I legit don't see that happening anytime soon lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope we get a surprise season 2 DLC pack that is all first party characters.
For one, we don't know if the Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/Steve rumor is legit or not right now. On top of that, given how long Sakurai has been working on Smash (it'll be 8 years straight by February 2020), I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get a Season 2.......& concerned for Sakurai's well-being.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know much of anything about Fortnite characters or their lore but the main thing that would have me suspicious isn't that their western characters or that they don't have defined names/roles, it's that my assumption is that the Fortnite phenomenon is too new for this to have ever been on the radar of Nintendo/Sakurai when they were thinking about and finalizing DLC plans.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, isn't this how I feel? With all these rumors and speculation, I've pretty much realized there's zero chance of any character I care about or want being featured in Smash. The Belmonts were the end of the line, basically.

I can relate to that. The Inklings were practically a given, and with the exception of the Belmonts, Ultimate's base newcomers basically does nothing for me. Just seeing how some people react to the very idea of Ryu Hayabusa in Smash has been... disheartening somewhat.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't really know much of anything about Fortnite characters or their lore but the main thing that would have me suspicious isn't that their western characters or that they don't have defined names/roles, it's that my assumption is that the Fortnite phenomenon is too new for this to have ever been on the radar of Nintendo/Sakurai when they were thinking about and finalizing DLC plans.
As far as we know, DLC was chosen by Nintendo, verified as being feasible to make by Sakurai, & finalized on November 6, 2018. While I don't personally expect a Fortnite character, Fortnite would have already established itself as a force of nature in the gaming industry well before then.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Can this madness be over with already?
wJzAtux.jpg

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can relate to that. The Inklings were practically a given, and with the exception of the Belmonts, Ultimate's base newcomers basically does nothing for me. Just seeing how some people react to the very idea of Ryu Hayabusa in Smash has been... disheartening somewhat.
The only characters I wanted that got in were Inkling, Simon, Chrom, & (against all odds) Joker. Meanwhile, my dreams of playable representation for ARMS, Rhythm Heaven, & The Wonderful 101 got nuked from orbit for Ultimate, with Xenoblade 2 hanging on by a thread.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would be happy with pretty much any of these: Sora, basically any second Final Fantasy character but especially Sephiroth or Kefka, Kiryu from Yakuza, Phoenix Wright, Alucard (assist trophied to death), Wesker, Dunban (definitely not happening), Farfetch'd (also not happening, Japan hates him), Dante, Vergil, Mega Man X...

I can think of a lot of characters I would want in. None of them have a shot.

I would take Hayabusa if he was offered, myself. He has a lot of potential for fun moves, but I can't help but worry he'd kinda feel like Fox/Wolf with a sword. Really fast with a "blink" forward-B, etc.

Beyond that, literally all the "leaked" characters thus far have just made me ache with disappointment.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know, DLC was chosen by Nintendo, verified as being feasible to make by Sakurai, & finalized on November 6, 2018. While I don't personally expect a Fortnite character, Fortnite would have already established itself as a force of nature in the gaming industry well before then.

Sure, but generally knowing how slowly these things move I think it would have been extremely reactionary on Nintendo's part to recognize Fortnite's popularity, start negotiating for a character representative of the series, get Sakurai to sign off on implementing it, and finalize all the details. Certainly not impossible, but it's something I'm going to chalk up as unlikely particularly given that I'm not sure if Fortnite is even that popular in Japan.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sure, but generally knowing how slowly these things move I think it would have been extremely reactionary on Nintendo's part to recognize Fortnite's popularity, start negotiating for a character representative of the series, get Sakurai to sign off on implementing it, and finalize all the details. Certainly not impossible, but it's something I'm going to chalk up as unlikely particularly given that I'm not sure if Fortnite is even that popular in Japan.
I see what you mean, especially in terms of getting the negotiations done in time.

Jan 9, 2018
This is my crazy guess but what if brave is Agumon? When digimon's digivolve in the series the song Brave Heart plays in the background. Also Agumon is associated with the crest of courage which is close to meaning brave.

Already brought up. The big thing is that WarGreymon's shield is the Brave Shield, and yeah Brave Heart. I don't think it's too likely, but I really really want it lol.

Agumon makes sense as the mascot, and being able to evolve into several popular lines like Greymon, Veedramon, and Tyrannomon. Ultimately, Agumon getting in should represent V-Pets and the Tamagotchi brand of device as a whole, rather than Digimon Adventure or anime in general. So Agumon evolving into different Adult/Champion forms with WarGreymon as a Final Smash would make most sense. I mean a quick Warp Evolve sequence with Brave Heart playing would definitely explain the "brave" codename lol.

I've seen people bring up Digimon Survive coming to the Switch as support, but I think the fact that we had several Digimon Story games exclusive to the DS on top of many games that were on Nintendo platforms before and after that short era is more important than a single new game coming to the Switch.

But back to reality, it's hard to really consider Agumon. Especially not when something like Dragon Quest seems so much more likely. But maybe there are some Nintendo employees who really want to see Digimon vs. Pokémon represented in Smash lol. I'm sure Bandai would be happy about getting their second rep.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I wouldn't call any leak list without a Gen 8 pokemon a red flag. The leak has a lot of red flags but that's not one of the reasons.

You know what's a red flag? Claiming all the reasons why the characters are included and revealing that they have all these games coming up. How do you even find out *that* much info so cleanly even as a leaker?

Apparently people are convinced that there will be no first party characters in this DLC. I don't know why.
Gen VIII Pokemon seems like the safest of bets. We literally just went through 2 Smash hype cycles where they saved a spot for Pokemon without seeing the design first.

So apparently Nintendo wants to promote all these 3rd party games coming up but not Pokemon 2019, which could easily wind up the best selling title on the system.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I guess I can't relate to most people here. The Ultimate base roster treated me pretty well, with a lot of newcomers I wanted getting in (Inkling, Ridley, the Belmonts, Dark Samus, K. Rool and Isabelle). I did lose my third most-wanted character to incineroar but besides that Sakurai spoiled me rotten. Piranha Plant is also the best example of something that I didn't know I wanted, so he's good too. If that 5chan leak ends up true, Sakurai will also treat me to Joker, Hayabusa and Doom Guy (with the monkey's paw of Steve over Banjo). I'm not really confident in that leak being real though, so we'll see how the DLC goes post-Erdrick.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can't relate to most people here. The Ultimate base roster treated me pretty well, with a lot of newcomers I wanted getting in (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, K. Rool and Isabelle). I did lose my third most-wanted character to incineroar but besides that Sakurai spoiled me rotten. Piranha Plant is also the best example of something that I didn't know I wanted, so he's good too. If that 5chan leak ends up true, Sakurai will also treat me to Joker, Hayabusa and Doom Guy (with the monkey's paw of Steve over Banjo). I'm not really confident in that leak being real though, so we'll see how the DLC goes post-Erdrick.

Yeah, everyone's going to react to the roster differently. I'm happy for K. Rool fans finally getting their boy and he does work really well in the final game, but Dark Samus, Chrom and Isabelle were just "are you kidding me?" announcements. But I'm also just not a big fan of the Echo Fighter concept in general.

The last character announcement I was actually happy about for myself was the surprise Richter reveal, and it's been...rough since then.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently people are convinced that there will be no first party characters in this DLC. I don't know why.
Gen VIII Pokemon seems like the safest of bets. We literally just went through 2 Smash hype cycles where they saved a spot for Pokemon without seeing the design first.

So apparently Nintendo wants to promote all these 3rd party games coming up but not Pokemon 2019, which could easily wind up the best selling title on the system.

I presume that, like me, People don't want another of an extremely limited number of dlc character slots assigned to a series which already has tons of representation and has already gotten a new rep as one of the 6 non-echo newcomers already included in the base game.

If they were going to use one of them for another Pokémon, or , god forbid, another fire emblem rep, so help me ...

qq more

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure where you got this idea about me when I've never stated that in the first place. I'm only saying dismissing a leak just because it doesn't contain Pokemon is not a good argument at all because Pokemon (nor anyone else) is not a lock.

Really, I don't think anyone is a lock but it doesn't mean Ithink they have zero chances.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

To be fair, both of those instances were for their respective base rosters. The main reason we got Mewtwo as Wii U/3DS DLC was due to fan demand. That's not to say that Gen 8 won't get a rep in the Fighters Pass, but rather that it isn't guaranteed, just as the Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/Steve rumor isn't guaranteed.

Sep 7, 2018

I would assume that Reggie's comment at TGA did that, essentially indicating that the selection of Joker gave a sense or, I believe his words were a "flavor of how we're approaching the DLC", "characters that are new to the series", "characters you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate". That's probably why people are thinking third-party, or thinking that the rumors have some level of believability to them. I'd say, from the looks of Erdrick having the strong possibility of being the second character, and being included in both lists, that Steve probably has some good potential for being there as well. The fourth and fifth on each list diverge, but I could make a case for any of those being included. Will be interesting to see.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Steve, Haybusa, Doomguy list is true I can't say I'd be excited for any of them (though I'm sure they'd all be implemented in awesome way) but I would be so hype for Erdrick/DQ stuff that that would make up for it anyway. The only other thing I truly super wanted was Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 characters but it seems that it was not to be.

Either way I have a hard time feeling too bummed about character stuff at this point because even pre-DLC I feel like I'm at a buffet table whenever it's time to select a character in this game. They truly went ham on this one.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many freaking characters, that I'm satisfied with what we already have. The DLC is just the icing on the cake. Sure there were some potential characters sacrificed to the ether, like Rex and ARMS representation (not Spring Man though), but what we got makes up for it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's so many freaking characters, that I'm satisfied with what we already have. The DLC is just the icing on the cake. Sure there were some potential characters sacrificed to the ether, like Rex and ARMS representation (not Spring Man though), but what we got makes up for it.
I honestly don't get the Spring Man hate.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsh 4 dlc did not have a Pokemon newcomer

I don't have a dog in this fight as I have no strong feelings for or against Pokemon reps but to be fair here there wasn't really anything new to promote related to pokemon during the smash 4 DLC cycle. The most recent game was a gen 3 remake and the next game was still a ways off. By the time Bayo and Corrin dropped we were still like nine months away from Sun and Moon*.

*I'm going from memory here so apologies in advance if I've screwed up the timelines.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He's just bland compared to everyone else. He'd be Little Mac with more reach. Even his trait of doing more damage the less health he has is covered in Smash.

Give me Twintelle, Min Min, or Kid Cobra.
I mean, when has Smash not gone for the main character first? Granted, I could see us getting Twintelle in the next Smash game, but not without us getting Spring Man first. It'd be like picking Chun-Li over Ryu. She's popular, but not the face of the franchise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's just bland compared to everyone else. He'd be Little Mac with more reach. Even his trait of doing more damage the less health he has is covered in Smash.

Give me Twintelle, Min Min, or Snake dude.

To be fair, while you're not wrong, pretty much all of the Fire Emblem characters we have except Robin are lords with the same basic moveset archetype.

I think they could make Spring Man stand out.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be fair, while you're not wrong, pretty much all of the Fire Emblem characters we have except Robin are lords with the same basic moveset archetype.

It's basically the Ryu situation. Basic within his own game, but pretty unique elsewhere. Either way, we'll likely have to wait until the next game to see this realized.

Also, Ike & Corrin are pretty unique (though Corrin is also a Lord).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically the Ryu situation. Basic within his own game, but pretty unique elsewhere. Either way, we'll likely have to wait until the next game to see this realized.

Ike is still within the general "Fire Emblem" concept map, especially now that Chrom aped his up+B. He's got a chargeable neutral, a rising up-B with questionable recovery potential and a counter for his down+B, even if all of his normals are definitely different. But yes, Corrin (as much as I loathe everything about his clothes-made-of-duct-tape-wearing ass) is "different"-ish.

Still, yeah. Spring Man might not be the most unique fighter in his own game but he'd work just fine in Smash if they wanted him to. It would be weird to include the other characters from his game while he's stuck as an assist trophy.

Sep 7, 2018

Honestly, I think you end with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl before anyone else. That's why we got a Spring Man AT, and a Ribbon Girl Mii costume. But with those inclusions, just like XC2, I'd be really surprised to see anyone in the DLC, especially in this initial set of 5. IF we get a second set, I could maybe see one then.

I was a Min-Min main, but Barq and Byte were my favorite. Fun to play, just couldn't quite get them mastered like I could Min-Min.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
If Steve gets in over Banjo, I'll be despondent. Yeah, yeah, I'd understand why... but come on, fucking Steve over Banjo?

I don't hate Steve either, but come on FFS. lol

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The main thing I'd say here is that it's not really clear to me that there's a better candidate for who Street Fighter fans would send out as the face of the game. I'll defer to other people as I haven't really invested in the series enough to consider myself a genuine fan since around the Street Fighter 2 Turbo days on the SNES, but is there any other more popular choice that the fans would pick as opposed to the suits that just default to Ryu being the "main" character? To me with ARMS even though he's the guy on the box it's pretty clear to me that he's certainly not the most popular character in the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I'd say here is that it's not really clear to me that there's a better candidate for who Street Fighter fans would send out as the face of the game. I'll defer to other people as I haven't really invested in the series enough to consider myself a genuine fan since around the Street Fighter 2 Turbo days on the SNES, but is there any other more popular choice that the fans would pick as opposed to the suits that just default to Ryu being the "main" character? To me with ARMS even though he's the guy on the box it's pretty clear to me that he's certainly not the most popular character in the game.

I mean, that's the thing. Ryu definitely isn't the most popular character in SF. Honestly, Ken is probably more popular than he is overall. But he's the face of the series, just like Sol is the face of Guilty Gear. Most fighting games have an ensemble darkhorse character who's vastly more popular than the "made-for-newbies" face.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly, I think you end with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl before anyone else. That's why we got a Spring Man AT, and a Ribbon Girl Mii costume. But with those inclusions, just like XC2, I'd be really surprised to see anyone in the DLC, especially in this initial set of 5. IF we get a second set, I could maybe see one then.

I was a Min-Min main, but Barq and Byte were my favorite. Fun to play, just couldn't quite get them mastered like I could Min-Min.
Nah, the Spring Man AT was basically the kiss of death for playable ARMS representation in Ultimate. Though you do have a point on Xenoblade 2 representation (namely Rex).

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's the thing. Ryu definitely isn't the most popular character in SF. Honestly, Ken is probably more popular than he is overall. But he's the face of the series, just like Sol is the face of Guilty Gear. Most fighting games have an ensemble darkhorse character who's vastly more popular than the "made-for-newbies" face.

Is Ken more popular? I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse here. As I said I'm kind of on the outside looking in. But I always thought Ryu was really popular (as much as any one character can be) within the Street Fighter universe.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The big question is whether or not the rumor will be proven or disproven by actual announcements made by Nintendo, or if they'll be beaten to the punch by another codename in a future update.

Erdrick's announcement (or lack thereof) is probably all we need to settle it based on his alts, but considering that we don't even have any Joker gameplay yet, it seems like it's gonna be a while before an official announcement puts this matter to rest.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when has Smash not gone for the main character first? Granted, I could see us getting Twintelle in the next Smash game, but not without us getting Spring Man first. It'd be like picking Chun-Li over Ryu. She's popular, but not the face of the franchise.

True, but... he's just so bland. I'm sure BN/Hal could make him work, but he's the equivalent of "plain white bread" to me. At least Ryu has legacy going for him.

I have my own problem with the FE situation at the moment. I get that they like going for Lord characters, but there are lord characters that aren't sword users. I'd trade Roy, Lucina, and Chrom for Hector and Ephraim any day.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is Ken more popular? I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse here. As I said I'm kind of on the outside looking in. But I always thought Ryu was really popular (as much as any one character can be) within the Street Fighter universe.

Ken is generally more popular, yeah. Some of that is due to people ironically counter-picking him to play a Shoto that isn't Ryu, and some of that is due to his moveset just being a little more flexible. But even then, I don't think I'd call either of them the "most popular" characters in Street Fighter. They're just the most visible ones, alongside Chun.

That being said, Dad Ryu is hugely popular even among people who don't main him.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
If Steve gets in over Banjo, I'll be despondent. Yeah, yeah, I'd understand why... but come on, fucking Steve over Banjo?

Minecraft is a huge draw and potentially a giant untapped market for Nintendo to draw in to Smash. I'd also prefer Banjo, but a choice between the two is an absolute no brainer of a business decision.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

At the very least, Steve getting in opens the door to Microsoft content in Smash. I want Banjo badly as well, but Steve's in one of the biggest games on the planet. You already know what I mean.

Now if we get Banjo as a Mii Costume though, then I'll probably go crazy. (which would be ironic, Banjo didn't even get Avatar cosmetics for the 360).

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone focuses on Banjo but nobody weeps for the lack of a Blast Corps rep like I do. I'm picturing a Pokemon Trainer situation where you can Down B between all the different vehicles and robots.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
True, but... he's just so bland. I'm sure BN/Hal could make him work, but he's the equivalent of "plain white bread" to me. At least Ryu has legacy going for him.
HAL hasn't been involved with developing Smash post-Melee. With that said, I suppose a more apt comparison would be picking Tharja (ESRB issues aside) over Robin back in Wii U/3DS as the unique Awakening rep.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I love Smash Ultimate's newcomers. I love Erdrick and Joker (assuming that Erdrick is in which he 99.99% is). I would love Doom guy but would honestly prefer Vault Boy on a New Vegas stage (something thats never gonna happen).

Smash 4 was my Smash with awful newcomers. Megaman, Little Mac, Cloud and Ryu were cool but other than that it was very meh. I didn't like the Fire Emblem flood or fucking Dark Pit.