• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk whenever he briefly shares something hoping it won't spread:

Sbt8AOE.jpg

This is like the thirstiest game leak in history and people are stalking you Dusk. 😂

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Dusk whenever he briefly shares something hoping it won't spread:

Sbt8AOE.jpg

This is like the thirstiest game leak in history and people are stalking you Dusk. 😂
Yeee, this isn't the worst thing as it just basically goes over what people know, there's an SMS Messaging system in the game, but I'm exciteeeeed.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
Any Japanese speaking person here that would take care of the translations? All I can discern is one character being named Amelie.

I'm very very rusty, but they seem to be talking about why or how someone died, I don't think they're named because the rest of the thread is hidden. Amelie is the sender, Maya is the recipient. Very keen to see what the whole thing translates as 👀

Yeee, I posted that & deleted it quickly in a Discord I'm in, was hoping it wouldn't be spread, but someone snapped it. Was talking about the SMS Messaging thing, but alas.

It's also 100% my version as I purposefully made in very low-res if anyone sniped it, but good to know.

So you're saying the image is fake? or is it a visual concept that will show up in the game?

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Any Japanese speaking person here that would take care of the translations? All I can discern is one character being named Amelie.

Off the cuff translation:
Amelie: I wonder why Maya died...
Player: You got any ideas?
Amelie: Nope.
Amelie: That's what makes this so difficult.
Amelie: I guess I didn't know much about her at all...
Amelie: Aren't your clothes gonna get dirty wandering around a ruined building like that?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Amelie? They're literally using the same name for a character as a major character in Kojima's newest game, and also the real-life messaging aspect he planned for Silent Hills?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very very rusty, but they seem to be talking about why or how someone died, I don't think they're named because the rest of the thread is hidden. Amelie is the sender, Maya is the recipient. Very keen to see what the whole thing translates as 👀

Off the cuff translation:
Amelie: I wonder why Maya died...
Player: You got any ideas?
Amelie: Nope.
Amelie: That's what makes this so difficult.
Amelie: I guess I didn't know much about her at all...
Amelie: Aren't your clothes gonna get dirty wandering around a ruined building like that?

Thank you!

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Amelie? They're literally using the same name for a character as a major character in Kojima's newest game, and also the real-life messaging aspect he planned for Silent Hills?
It's not unlikely Konami own the code and concepts he created for Silent Hills so yeah they would most likely be free to repurpose any of that stuff

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's not unlikely Konami own the code and concepts he created for Silent Hills so yeah they would most likely be free to repurpose any of that stuff

There was never anything created for Silent Hills outside PT. There was never even a single piece of concept art that anyone is aware of. The "ideas" Kojima had was just a bunch of random shit he wrote down and told some people about in broad terms at a conference years ago. So there is nothing for either to own. If they end up using any of those ideas it'd obviously be free game either way

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
There was never anything created for Silent Hills outside PT. There was never even a single piece of concept art that anyone is aware of. The "ideas" Kojima had was just a bunch of random shit he wrote down and told some people about in broad terms at a conference years ago. So there is nothing for either to own. If they end up using any of those ideas it'd obviously be free game either way
Yup and if he wrote down concepts while he was at Konami (and look lets be real, there was likely some level of concept/prototyping for future ideas, Silent Hills or not, while he was there, not saying they started developing SH) - yeah they would own that

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yup and if he wrote down concepts while he was at Konami (and look lets be real, there was likely some level of concept/prototyping for future ideas, Silent Hills or not, while he was there, not saying they started developing SH) - yeah they would own that

From what we know, there most likely wasn't. I doubt there was ever anything to own.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the one from Bloober team? The last leaked screenshot with the sms on right side just reminds me of the start of RE7 (first person inside a corridor, I guess) and just tells me it is based on jump scares which is not what I want from a SH game.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Is this the one from Bloober team? The last leaked screenshot with the sms on right side just reminds me of the start of RE7 (first person inside a corridor, I guess) and just tells me it is based on jump scares which is not what I want from a SH game.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

Most things point to Bloober doing a remake of SH2. It depends on what this is a teaser for, so it's hard to tell

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, first person again. Joy, such creativity.

They're really just gonna do a knockoff of PT and hope everyone loves them for it, aren't they?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the disdain for first Person Horror. PT clearly inspired so many clones (some amazing games BTW)

It's only logical for Silent Hill to finally fulfill the circle. True horror just works in first person.

Also, Bloober is apparently remaking SH2 and that will be 3rd person.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the disdain for first Person Horror. PT clearly inspired so many clones (some amazing games BTW)

It's only logical for Silent Hill to finally fulfill the circle. True horror just works in first person.

Also, Bloober is apparently remaking SH2 and that will be 3rd person.

It's all boring jumpscares and "gotta hide from the scary thing oh noooooooo!" chase sequences in first person. The actual gameplay is shit. Once you've played one FP horror game you've played literally all of them.

And for Silent Hill specifically where the horror is intrinsically tied to the protagonist's character, making the player play as a floating camera with a gun arm is just the opposite of how it should work.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It's all boring jumpscares and "gotta hide from the scary thing oh noooooooo!" chase sequences in first person. The actual gameplay is shit. Once you've played one FP horror game you've played literally all of them.

And for Silent Hill specifically where the horror is intrinsically tied to the protagonist's character, making the player play as a floating camera with a gun arm is just the opposite of how it should work.
not every single first person horror game is like this

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022

Condemned though.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's very unlikely that the final game will be first person, so there's no point in stressing about it.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

not every single first person horror game is like this

I agree. This sounds like you are describing Outlast. Even RE and Condemned show you can have muscle and fight back in first person.

Hell, even in PT, you didn't hide from anything, and it was beyond frightening. It's all about creating the right atmosphere and gameplay mechanics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's very unlikely that the final game will be first person, so there's no point in stressing about it.

Why even make a first person teaser demo for a third person game, though? Other than "because PT did it"? Because people - including apparently Konami, it appears - seem to forget that PT was only first person because it was trying to look like a generic PC FP horror game on purpose to hide the fact it was a teaser for an unrelated Silent Hill game.

If they're doing the exact same thing again but this time blatantly announcing it as a Silent Hill thing, why even bother with the different playstyle?

I agree. This sounds like you are describing Outlast. Even RE and Condemned show you can have muscle and fight back in first person.

Hell, even in PT, you didn't hide from anything, and it was beyond frightening. It's all about creating the right atmosphere and gameplay mechanics.

I didn't think PT was even remotely scary. It's just one hallway over and over again and a jumpscare ghost. The first time you get jumpscare-killed by the ghost it's startling, but there's nothing beyond that.

And the first person Resident Evil games have absolutely terrible combat. Like RE isn't exactly known for great combat to begin with but 7 and 8's is particularly bad. I just don't think the first person perspective adds much of anything to horror except more angles for the game to throw jumpscares at you, and I don't find jumpscares compelling, especially when they're the game's favorite trick to pull.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Why even make a first person teaser demo for a third person game, though? Other than "because PT did it"? Because people - including apparently Konami, it appears - seem to forget that PT was only first person because it was trying to look like a generic PC FP horror game on purpose to hide the fact it was a teaser for an unrelated Silent Hill game.

If they're doing the exact same thing again but this time blatantly announcing it as a Silent Hill thing, why even bother with the different playstyle?

I pretty much think that is exactly why they are doing it, yeah. But you also aren't interested in it anyway, so why do you even care?

SHdreamer

Dec 11, 2020
nice cant wait. I can see myself jumping out of my seat while reading some messages on screen if something comes at me.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
how long do we usually see a game announced after it is rated in Korea?

There isn't really a solid timeline. It's generally not super long, but could be months.
As said, not really any singular size. However, it's usually within a month or two in my experience with previous Korean Rating Board leaks. But we won't really know until we know. However, I don't expect we're too far out from this being announced and released at all.

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't think PT was even remotely scary. It's just one hallway over and over again and a jumpscare ghost. The first time you get jumpscare-killed by the ghost it's startling, but there's nothing beyond that.

And the first person Resident Evil games have absolutely terrible combat. Like RE isn't exactly known for great combat to begin with but 7 and 8's is particularly bad. I just don't think the first person perspective adds much of anything to horror except more angles for the game to throw jumpscares at you, and I don't find jumpscares compelling, especially when they're the game's favorite trick to pull.
At this point, if a horror game even HAS combat (Even shitty combat) we should be celebrating.

Deleted member 99019

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 18, 2021
From what we know, there most likely wasn't. I doubt there was ever anything to own.
we know that some collaborators he announced never had the chance to contribute and that the game never went into full production. it's impossible that there wasn't some substantial pre-production already done before he left tho- the concept video and PT didn't pop out of the ether fully formed, and konami owns every bit of work that went into those

we also know from the cowabunga collection that konami actually keeps pretty extensive archives. it's not impossible that they could have pulled some old silent hills or even silent hill 5 ideas from the vault, esp with some of that staff still being around at konami. the outsourcing makes it less likely they're sharing that info but it'd be cool as hell