• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

According to The Information, Spotify and Apple are discussing a "plan" that would "let iPhone users tell Siri to play songs, playlists, and albums with voice commands." These conversations reportedly stem from new APIs in iOS 13 that make it possible for developers of audio apps to integrate with Siri.

iOS 13 opens the SiriKit framework to third-party music, podcast, audiobook, and radio applications. This is seemingly what Spotify hopes to take advantage of in its efforts to allow users to control playback via Siri.

In fact, Spotify has gone as far as to drop some of the accusations it made towards Apple earlier this year. In March, Spotify filed a complaint with the European Commission over the App Store and Apple Music.

At the time, Spotify launched a website detailing its complaints against Apple, writing that "Apple won't allow us to be on HomePod and they definitely won't let us connect with Siri to play your jams." As The Information notes, however, that language has now been removed:

As of Tuesday though, that language was no longer on the Spotify site, replaced by this sentence: "Only recently, Apple announced that it will let us connect with Siri to play your jams…but fails to mention our name ('I want to play [X] on Spotify') and your HomePod will default to Apple Music."
The report from The Information implies that there is some sort of special agreement being talked about between Apple and Spotify. In all likelihood, however, it seems that Spotify is simply taking advantage of the new SiriKit features in iOS 13.

🤔

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seemed like an obvious integration from when they debuted iOS 13, clearly they wasn't going to advertise it but it's good that threat of anti trust will ensure it reaches users eventually

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I was in my car yesterday and I told my wife to ask Siri on her iPhone X to open Spotify and play some tunes and I was appalled when Siri told me that she couldn't do that yet. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
With this and Spotify getting rid of its widget on Android devices today, pretty much an Apple+Spotify collab is certain.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Incoming buyout from Apple to get Spotify? You think the government will allow that?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Incoming buyout from Apple to get Spotify? You think the government will allow that?

than they wouldn't do this, it would just fold into Apple Music

i switched from Spotify to Apple Music, and I love Apple Music. I use it constantly, but this would be big for Spotify people if it's like a switch you push, and not add "on Spotify" when you ask Siri

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If this is true. Then I guess it also bodes well for the rumor that Apple music will be supporting google cast. That would be a game changer.