• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I did say with IO they should have stepped away from RDR2 release.

But never mind I think it's about a slow burn with them which is great, although Warner Bros will NOT be happy with this outcome

Hitman 2 Game of the Year, ignored by my fellow UK audience (I Bought the collectors edition so it's not me) will also be ignored by the Game Awards in the future.

There is no accounting for taste.

More fun than Red Dead 2 and more replayability than Spider-Man and God of War

Last edited:

boi

Nov 1, 2017
All these games except Spyro dont have to do big numbers on day one. They are, in one way or another, built to sell well in perpetuity.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know that's nonsense right, the U.K. retail sector as a whole is struggling significantly this year and it only looks to get worse with coming years.

It isn't about moving to the future at all, it's about more tougher decisions being made with wallets

The U.K. game industry went from
Being like worth 5bn in 2008 to being 1.4bn In 2018 , a slight uptick of 10% on FIFA and the 40% digital share does not account for anywhere near this decline

Last year the UK had record numbers. 1.4 billion was just hardware sales? It's very much still over 5 billion in total.

Hell, this tells me it was only 4 billion in 2008...

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/uk-video-games-market-falls-13-in-2011

There was a decline, but it's been picking back up as a whole in recent years. Retail is dying, sure, but not the video game market.

1: Digital may be growing but is still NOT big in the UK, prices are £10-20 more expensive for a digital copy on launch day and considering how quickly price drops occur here that gap widens extremely quickly. Sales are down here, full stop, retail is dying and digital is not picking up all the slack.
2: Friday has always been the traditional launch day in the UK, this only started slowly changing mid-last gen when the really big AAA games wanted same day "worldwide" (excluding Asia) launches and everyone had to move in line with America. The vast majority of our releases are still Friday.

The Friday thing was mainly about Red Dead Redemption 2 versus GTA V, which did release on a Tuesday worldwide and was fresh in my mind. Titling something "first week sales down 75%" when there's a clear disparity did end up misleading people and I saw plenty of trolling on other sites in reference to that number.

Regardless, even if things are down, my entire point is that there's too much doom and gloom over retail numbers that mean less about a game's "success" than they used to. Every publisher wants that all-digital future sooner rather than later anyway.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Something jolly and joyful to offset the edge of a hateful world. It makes a lot of sense to me that those kinds of games are outperforming themselves in such a time as the one we live in.
Crash and Spyro is overdue nostalgia for UK peeps. It's like Mario in the US. And Pokémon always does gangbusters in the UK.

The other games are just the same shit we get every year and people are getting bored of it, doesn't help they're coming so late after a busy period of huge releases too.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Fallout terrible? How much brand power does something need to be terrible and still sell well?

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
Pokemon and Spyro selling well is welcome to be honest - Pokemon is a juggernaut and Spyro was a staple of the console that pushed gaming into the mainstream in the UK.

Shame for Hitman 2, but Fallout 76 deserves to be selling poorly with how buggy and rushed it is.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Last year the UK had record numbers. 1.4 billion was just hardware sales? It's very much still over 5 billion in total.

Hell, this tells me it was only 4 billion in 2008...

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/uk-video-games-market-falls-13-in-2011

There was a decline, but it's been picking back up as a whole in recent years. Retail is dying, sure, but not the video game market.

The Friday thing was mainly about Red Dead Redemption 2 versus GTA V, which did release on a Tuesday worldwide and was fresh in my mind. Titling something "first week sales down 75%" when there's a clear disparity did end up misleading people and I saw plenty of trolling on other sites in reference to that number.

Regardless, even if things are down, my entire point is that there's too much doom and gloom over retail numbers that mean less about a game's "success" than they used to. Every publisher wants that all-digital future sooner rather than later anyway.

I'm sure "every" publisher wants to see the end to retail But that is not happening anytime soon :)
And frankly it's delusional to think otherwise

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spyro is ahead of Pokemon Let's Go on the amazon hourly lists. Multiple SKU's makes things harder to track, but there's a Good chance it'll be first in the UK since it came out earlier in the week as well.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Spyro is ahead of Pokemon Let's Go on the amazon hourly lists. Multiple SKU's makes things harder to track, but there's a Good chance it'll be first in the UK since it came out earlier in the week as well.

On US amazon Pokemon currently is number 49. So I don't know if that;s a great indicator for what it's going to do in the states?

Update:

Smash is #4 this might be a first pokemon get's outsold by smash.

Update this was daily not hourly.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman is a niche game, so doesn't surprise me that it didn't sell a lot. A shame anyway, considering how good the game is supposed to be.

Battlefield, on the other hand, should be one of the biggest games of the year and it's going to flop hard, especially compared to BF 1. Since the announcement of this new game, there has been a feeling of "something wrong" and I think it's the fact it's a $60 game that is being released mostly incomplete in a super competitive landscape. It's going to be great in 6 months, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On US amazon Pokemon currently is number 49. So I don't know if that;s a great indicator for what it's going to do in the states?

Update:

Amazon isn't a good indicator for anything. also Pokemon has a billion separate SKUs, making the metric even less useful

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Update:

Plenty of pokémon games have been outsold by Smash, though: all of the third version/"sequels" (B2W2) were outsold by Smash 3DS, and 2/3 remakes were outsold by Brawl.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't hitman season 1 not do badly at the start but sold well long term. Everything is in the red dead shadow at the moment

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure "every" publisher wants to see the end to retail But that is not happening anytime soon :)
And frankly it's delusional to think otherwise

All I did was offer some meanderings as to why these numbers (or ANY singular narrative) aren't always indicative of the big picture. I actually prefer physical and don't want retail to go away (and it won't completely)!