• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Imagine if we got Marvel, DC, Harry Potter and 3 oscar worthy movies in the same week. Well, its kinda the same with games.

Publishers seriously need to stop trying to release on the same day as the others, its games.. just release whenever you want.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
iirc X/Y wasn't that big in UK so I'm not surprised.
I suppose it's significant that it's selling on par if not better than a brand new mainline entry. But I also recall X/Y opening being a little soft for the series and it made it up by having longer than usual legs. So it's hard to say for certain without numbers.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Forgive me for not weeping over low 'advanced sales'. I'd probably prefer them to be even lower as an argument for ending such practices.

Hitman will be a sad casualty, but then I mean, I'm part of the problem. I still haven't finished Red Dead, Odyssey or even bloody DQXI, so there's no room for anything else with Smash coming in a few weeks. I've got more than enough to do as it is.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i doubt spyro will do as well as crash or have the absolutely crazy legs of that collection, but it still should do pretty good.

if spyro comes to switch, i doubt size would be an issue at all. the fact that they need downloads on ps4/xbo isn't because they couldn't fit them on a blu ray, they just pressed the game before they were completely done. crash (including the dlc) was on a 8 GB cart, they probably can fit all three spyro games on a 16 GB one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the full version of BF5 available at retail? You know the one that gives early access or is that a digital thing only?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting on the 60 FPS PC release of Spyro that is inevitable ;p. Not double dipping again like I did for Crash. Wish Hitman 2 was doing better, buy it people!!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why does it feel like these UK threads are always about stuff selling badly?
Did you miss the bit about Pokémon and Spyro?

Also the UK is the first place we get sales data from, hence it gets talked about as it gives the earliest indications of how games may be performing.

And bad sales make bigger news than good sales. God of War, Spider-Man, Forza Horizon 4 all sold like hot-cakes.

And, finally, the UK chart only includes physical sales, and online games like Fallout and Battlefield and going to skew towards digital significantly more than the likes of kids games like Pokémon and Spyro.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I suppose it's significant that it's selling on par if not better than a brand new mainline entry. But I also recall X/Y opening being a little soft for the series and it made it up by having longer than usual legs. So it's hard to say for certain without numbers.

Yep XY in general had "weak" launch but very strong legs, and I think Let's Go will follow a similar pattern considering the small Switch userbase at the moment.

Sun and Moon were the complete opposite, the launch month was nuts, but the announcement of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon basically slaughtered its legs.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
But Hitman 2 people. And but the Legacy Pack if you didn't play the previous one. It's a brilliant game, hundreds of hours of content without any grind.

Pls save IOI, this studio deserves all the love.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
We've seen everything this year except like, Forza (which had insane growth from Horizon 3 in terms of overall fanbase) experience drops in UK physical sales this year. V isn't going to do BF1 numbers, but it's gotten mostly positive feedback from what I've heard about streamers playing and I personally like it a lot more now compared to the beta.

I subscribe to Origin Access Premier (because I wanted to support Madden returning to PC for the modding scene, plus all the DLC and Battlefield and eventually Anthem make it worthwhile) and that wouldn't exactly be something retailers know about either, right?

Because we're quickly moving into the digital future, plus games releasing on Fridays when their predecessors came out on Tuesdays, or earlier premium releases (sometimes digital only...). There are all kinds of inconsistencies that for some reason don't stop these pessimistic tweets/headlines from getting attention.

You know that's nonsense right, the U.K. retail sector as a whole is struggling significantly this year and it only looks to get worse with coming years.

It isn't about moving to the future at all, it's about more tougher decisions being made with wallets

The U.K. game industry went from
Being like worth 5bn in 2008 to being 1.4bn In 2018 , a slight uptick of 10% on FIFA and the 40% digital share does not account for anywhere near this decline

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
this is gonna sound mean, but im glad f76 is doing poorly, and hope it ends up being a commercial failure.

i think its important for people to let bethesda know that 76 isnt what they want from a fallout game, and this is probably the only way to be heard

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad Fallout 76 isn't doing too well. Hope it sells like shit in the US too. Bethesda need to learn a lesson and this might be the only way how.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Stealth games and immersive sims have a very bad streak, I did not expect Hitman 2 to do better.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
Yep XY in general had "weak" launch but very strong legs, and I think Let's Go will follow a similar pattern considering the small Switch userbase at the moment.

Sun and Moon were the complete opposite, the launch month was nuts, but the announcement of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon basically slaughtered its legs.

Hm, I don't really see Let's Go having a lot of legs, considering Gen 8 is right around the corner and the purpose of this game is to build an userbase for it anyway.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
UK doesn't imply a poor overall performance for Hitman, but I was always a little worried about its mid-November slot.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The handling of BFV's release and marketing is so bizarre to me.

All this early access bullshit and lack of a real marketing push. This should be one of the biggest games out this year and instead it's kinda just... I can't even think of the word. It's just here

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hm, I don't really see Let's Go having a lot of legs, considering Gen 8 is right around the corner and the purpose of this game is to build an userbase for it anyway.
I have the impression that just as there are people who are not interested in Let's Go waiting for Gen 8, there are people who want Let's Go and are not interested in anything that Gen 8 can offer.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't even know when BFV is coming out with all this pre launch stuff. You can't say EA/Dice didn't make their own bed with lower sales.

Also games have become way too expensive in the UK, no way would I pay £50 for a game.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's literally truly of the majority of pokemon games. These games sell the majority of what they're going to do within the year of release that's true of XY as well.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Warner and/or IO picked an awful date for Hitman, it sucks but THEY. NEVER. LEARN. This happens every year.

One of the smaller publishers always puts a smaller game out in big boy season and this is what happens, THQ, Bethesda, Warner, all guilty of thinking that they can compete with the likes of RDR2, CoD, FIFA, AC etc.

I'm hopefully trading a console in on Monday so if I get around to it I'll try and pick up Hitman 2 while I'm in the shop.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
I have the impression that just as there are people who are not interested in Let's Go waiting for Gen 8, there are people who want Let's Go and are not interested in anything that Gen 8 can offer.

I guess me only having "hardcore" pokemon fans as friends makes it rather hard to gauge it, but considering GF has apparently been working ln Gen 8 since before LG, it should end up being the more appealing offer both in presentation (After seeing Town and Sun/Moon's general artstyle I thinl the graphics and artstyle will definitely be an improvement over LG) and content.

Of course, Gen 1 is the most popular and it always be but I'm not sure sheer nostalgia will trump all that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sucks for Hitman. I picked it up digitally but this is alongside needing to really get on with RDR2, Diablo 3 still having its hooks in me, Let's Go Eevee, BFV and now Civ VI. This is all without Destiny which has the Black Armoury coming.

So many good games out right now that I hope it doesn't get eclipsed as Hitman is great, but even I'll struggle to play it for awhile.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
its a real bummer they didnt do episodic for hitman... no way i have another $100 AUD with everything that's released, but ~$20 for a new hitman level, I'd had done that in a heart beat.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
If you paid any attention to the leaderboard numbers in Hitman 2 it was obvious it sold like shit. Real shame but not surprising. I hope IO manage to survive.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny we're seeing Battlefield V as to having an official release versus those who paid more. The official release is when it's out and it's out.

Deleted member 4067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These last 2 hitman games have been amazing, it sucks that they're not selling well

I really hope we can get a 3rd game