• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Sad but I guess I'll won't be playing it for the foreseeable future. Really hope a future reprint puts them all on one disc.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Yup. It's like everyone except Nintendo has forgotten how to do it. Or compression literally isn't even part of the process anymore because games ship unfinished and the staff have to move right on to making the day one patch...yeah, probably the second one, lol.

Games playing off slow platter based HD's cannot be compressed because the de-compression would fuck up texture and data streaming. also encryption on the drives is a huge bottleneck on both ps4 and xbox.
All 3d model and texture data is stored in huge atlas files so the game only has to peek inside the file to grab whats needed and not open the whole thing, makes it much more efficient to stream data and reduce loading screens. This usually (and very likley in spyros case) also means that data has to be stored 'per level' so you get some fucking outrageous levels of duplication and waste. there's probably a duplicate texture for spyro in every single level of the game, among other things.

Games being played off flash carts dont have the same issues with transfer speeds, so they can compress the hell out of the data and dont need to organise it into the atlases. That's also why 'porting' to the switch properly is a massive amount of work - if it's going to play to the strengths of it, the game needs a total overhaul of how it stores data.

I'm seeing this sentiment a lot recently and nobody seems to understand why modern console games are not compressed.

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
We're passing on this at launch as well...Still playing RDR2 and Poke'mon right around the corner.

Hopefully they figure out how to get all three games on disc.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still getting this at launch, but that file size is unfortunate. I really hope these remakes are worth it.

OP
OP
Martin

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Spyro 1 and at the end credits Sanzaru was listed as the Spyro 3 developer (or helped).
Seems the game just wasn't ready when the disc was printed ...

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I still find it funny how people just assume everyone has the internet for this. I'm fortunate where I live but I can go 10 minutes in any direction and find people who can't get high-speed internet or who have terrible data caps. Easy access to high speed internet is still a major issue in the U.S.
Living that 2.8mbps down DSL high life baybee!

This would legit take a solid week to download at my house.

OP
OP
Martin

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case somebody wants to see it:
spyrodevekyiqw.png

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They fucked this up. They've got 30 GB on the disc, another 20 GB as a required download, and they couldn't figure any way to get that onto a 50 GB disc?

Wonder if there will be lots of returns for this collection.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I sure wish devs would use at least some compression again. File sizes sure exploded over the PS4/XOne gen ...
Why put in any effort on that part when it is much easier to put the onus on the end user. I mean they could pay a couple of people like what 100k for a couple weeks of work on compression or just pocket that and let users have to use bandwidth.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie. The full games not just being on disk is what has kept me from getting this and the Crash remakes.

If/when I get them might as well just do the digital version at this point.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie. The full games not just being on disk is what has kept me from getting this and the Crash remakes.

If/when I get them might as well just do the digital version at this point.
The Crash remakes has all three games on disc since the PS4 release of last year. This year also had the multiplatform release with Stormy Ascent, Future Tense, HDR added to PS4/XB1 and some fixes like loading times done. This is absolutely not the same scenario like with Spyro Reignited Trilogy where currently only parts of Spyro 2/3 are on disc physically...

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
This year also had the multiplatform release with Stormy Ascent, Future Tense, HDR added to PS4/XB1 and some fixes like loading times done.

They had a new release with that all on the disk? That is good to hear, time to look into getting it. Like actually excited again for it.

...geez what does that say about me if it being all on a physical release means that much to me.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Activision could have release it as 3 separately games for $40 each!
They would have make more money and we whould have been "happier"
Win-win for both?

Gestrid

Nov 30, 2017
I think the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD remake is less than that or at least comparable but that has the excuse of being 4 full games and 2 movies. Still not sure if I'm picking this up.

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I'm just gonna add that, with both add-ons installed and tge game fully updated (including last month's patch removing PS4 sharing restrictions), 1.5+2.5 is 61.01 GB. Of that, the KH1 theater mode add-on is a hefty 10.5 GB, while the added 358/2 Days scene is only 353 MB.