• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the game early and installed it without an internet connection to see the file size.
spyro1mlir3.png

as seen the file size without update is 31.42 GB
After that I connect my PS4 and downloaded the patch:
spyro2ejijp.png

file size is 19.69 GB so in total we should get 51.11 GB.

But after all is finished we get:
spyro3riilj.png

67.48 GB. Seems like the Update is compressed or something else is going on.

Also my first thread. If there is something I should change, please tell me!

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they dont have all of the game on the disc just like Switch cards.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they dont have all of the game on the disc just like Switch cards.
It's been known for a long time that Spyro 2 and 3 are incomplete on the disc and the patch is needed for those games to be complete.

So would the stuff on the disc be compressed or something? I see no reason why they couldn't have gotten it as close to 50 GB as possible otherwise, and the extra 16 GB that comes out of no where would explain why it stops at 31.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't in a hurry to get this game since I own the PS1 disks, but the file size turns me off from wanting this at all.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
As someone with shitty internet, there aint no way i could download a 20 gig patch. Pass.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I sure wish devs would use at least some compression again. File sizes sure exploded over the PS4/XOne gen ...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we're talking about 3 games here. Remade from scratch. And each level has unique assets.

Maybe they could've done more to compress, but I don't think people should underestimate how large the Spyro trilogy is.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we're talking about 3 games here. Remade from scratch. And each level has unique assets.

Maybe they could've done more to compress, but I don't think people should underestimate how large the Spyro trilogy is.
Crash was the same and it fit onto the disc. Same with the Kingdom Hearts collection, and that had four games and 2 three hour video files on there as well.

Like both of those had so many unique assets across each game and the levels within the games, so I'm just baffled by how Toys For Bob was unable to get all of Spyro onto one disc.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD remake is less than that or at least comparable but that has the excuse of being 4 full games and 2 movies. Still not sure if I'm picking this up.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017

rdr 2 comes on two blurays. no reason other than being cheap spyro can't either.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017

Sure, but then again the Uncharted trilogy was remade with higher quality textures and 1080p video cutscenes, yet it fits on a single disc. I'm curious about what requires so much room for this trilogy.

Oct 26, 2017
Crash was the same and it fit onto the disc. Same with the Kingdom Hearts collection, and that had four games and 2 three hour video files on there as well.

Like both of those had so many unique assets across each game and the levels within the games, so I'm just baffled by how Toys For Bob was unable to get all of Spyro onto one disc.

Even weirder is that Crash got shrunken down to 5.7GB I think on Switch, and that WAS by Toys For Bob!

I remember folks were absolutely convinced Crash would never fit on Switch, at least without needing a download. But nope, it's all there.

Also:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about them, but where I live, 20GB would take me between 15 and 20 hours to download, so nope, I never go digital on games. (Well that, and it's always cheaper to buy physical)
20GB will take me several days lmao.

Activision should have used 2 discs. It's a pass for me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Holy fuck, that's much, MUCH bigger than I expected it would be. It's kind of a turnoff, really. If I play it I'm going to want to go physical, but there's still the extra download.

They really shouldn't have been so cheap and used two discs. It sucks for those of us with slow Internet, where even going physical is a shit situation.

Thinking that they're older games remade and not massive games like GTA had me feeling it'd be maybe 10-20gb tops. I'm going to have to clear space if I get it.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Activision sucks with sizes. I dont know if they just dont want to spend more time compressing and such or they just hire the worst developers around. It's impossible that Spyro is 60 GB if properly developed.

OP
OP
Martin

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see. Them saying they cancelled the second patch (they've had the game for over half a day) made me think you lose access to the downloaded levels if you aren't up to date.
oh... I didn't know that. I only had the 1.00 version with the same text and now 1.02 where it is gone

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get that at all. Spyro games are decently sized for PS1 games, but even with all 3 they're nothing compared to current day games. Does TFB just suck at optimization or something? Not meaning to call out the dev, but they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Does this have uncompressed 4k texture or something?
Feels crazy that PS1 remake can take this much space.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why its so unbelievable, these are three full games with unique assets that are seemingly uncompressed textures at 4K resolutions. Consider the number of worlds, characters, animations, across the scope of the full trilogy and I can sort of wrap my head around the file sizes being that large.
Or at least rationalize it.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I need to go to sleep, get up, go to my 12 hours work, come home, eat dinner, sleep, wake up in the morning, and THEN the download might be finished for me.

3rd world country am cry.

I wonder what the Switch version will be like? Hopefully less data to download.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get that at all. Spyro games are decently sized for PS1 games, but even with all 3 they're nothing compared to current day games. Does TFB just suck at optimization or something? Not meaning to call out the dev, but they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Does this have uncompressed 4k texture or something?
Feels crazy that PS1 remake can take this much space.

I mean, I can't find this surprising. It's 3 games made with assets with PS4 and One as the base specs so averaging a bit more than 20gbs a game doesn't even seem that far off. It's not like they are releasing the PS1 originals that was designed for 240p.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of delaying the game by almost 2 months to make it so all the games would be on the disc? What was even the point of that delay then? I hope they at least used that time for polish, or else it would have been utterly pointless.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
These are 3 fully featured games with new 4K assets built on top. I can't speak about whether or not they could have compressed them to be smaller but I'm not surprised it's this big.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
nope. but why would Activision pass on a chance to save nickles
lol you dont know what you're talking about. an extra disc almost doubles the production cost. you have to have double the discs, and you need to get the bigger blu-ray case which is thicker which means you cant ship as many at a time and the weight goes up. it's a lot more than fucking nickels. and even if it was just a nickel more for an extra disc, well a million nickles is still $50k which is 1 person's yearly salary.

This will all be a lot easier next gen when all the disc-based consoles support the higher capacity blu-ray discs.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I can't find this surprising. It's 3 games made with assets with PS4 and One as the base specs so averaging a bit more than 20gbs a game doesn't even seem that far off. It's not like they are releasing the PS1 originals that was designed for 240p.
I dunno, as someone where 4k is low in my priority list, I'd rather have full game at 1080p and 4k texture as extra download.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So will games media acknowledge the ridiculousness of having to download parts of the game files of a physical copy in their reviews?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Still disappointed about this whole thing, but I suppose fans will just have to put up. Thanks for the thread, Martin.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I sure wish devs would use at least some compression again. File sizes sure exploded over the PS4/XOne gen ...
Yup. It's like everyone except Nintendo has forgotten how to do it. Or compression literally isn't even part of the process anymore because games ship unfinished and the staff have to move right on to making the day one patch...yeah, probably the second one, lol.